New Competition Format

• Thread starter Slick6
  • 21 comments

Slick6

Premium
United States
United States
I have decided to revise the competitions and change them up a little.

As soon as the Week 3 poll ends on Saturday, I will PM the winner and let them pick the theme for Week 5.

Also on Saturday, I will PM the winner of Week 2 to have them pick the top 20 entries from Week 4 since they had chosen the theme for that week. They will provide me with the post count numbers of their chosen top 20 entries. If they do not respond within 24 hours, I will pick the entries myself.

So there will be some idle time between the time I PM the Week 3 winner about the next theme and them getting back to me.

As far as voting goes, I have made it final, If you vote for yourself, winning or losing, your vote will not count so you may as well not even vote then. The true winner should win with other people's support, not theirs. If you don't like this rule, don't participate. This will be enforced in the upcoming Week 4 poll.

In summary, the Week 3 poll will end Saturday, while the Week 2 winner will be sifting through the ending competion picking out 20 entries to be on the Week 4 poll that they chose the theme for. When the Week 3 winner Pm's me back with his/her theme, I will start Week 5.

Mature questions or comments are welcome.

I like that ... let's stay that way
hope the war of "vote yourself" ends now
we are supposed to have fun with the competition, right?
think about how much work Slick have done for us
and it is not easy to hold competitions when everyone have different ideas

mmm.. I like it, 👍 but now I'm gonna have to step it up just to get into the final round :indiff: :scared:

Slick6
Also on Saturday, I will PM the winner of Week 2 to have them pick the top 20 entries from Week 4 since they had chosen the theme for that week. They will provide me with the post count numbers of their chosen top 20 entries. If they do not respond within 24 hours, I will pick the entries myself.

Goood man! :)👍 I'll actually sift through and start thinking about my 20.

Slick6
As far as voting goes, I have made it final, If you vote for yourself, winning or losing, your vote will not count so you may as well not even vote then. The true winner should win with other people's support, not theirs. If you don't like this rule, don't participate. This will be enforced in the upcoming Week 4 poll.

Don't necessarily agree, but at least there's a ruling on what should/shouldn't be. I still think that everyone should HAVE to vote for themself, making 1 vote void for all entries. But, we'll see how this pans out.

Slick6

Finally 👍

Slick6
In summary, the Week 3 poll will end Saturday, while the Week 2 winner will be sifting through the ending competion picking out 20 entries to be on the Week 4 poll that they chose the theme for. When the Week 3 winner Pm's me back with his/her theme, I will start Week 5.

Can someone explain me this :banghead:
maybe it's my english but I dont understand this :ouch:

So how many entries are accepted in total.30? 60? 100?
I'd like to participate but i remember someone mentioning that only 30 entries are accepted since the poll only allows 30 photos max.

Bonedwarf
Wow! Way ruin a "friendly" contest with rules!
^^^^ I thought he said mature???

so only 20 entries will make it to be voted on and the person who chose the theme gets to pick the 20 that make it? ok but then it seems like the theme should be more strict, If the theme is broad then there could be alot more than 20 photos that illustrate it best (EVERY car was orange, they all fit the theme). So, it comes down to the theme chooser saying if he/she "likes" a photo or not? So, the entries are subjective to the theme choosers photo knowledge? just making sure

Bonedwarf
Wow! Way ruin a "friendly" contest with rules!

I dont know how you feel, but whats the point in having 50+ choices when 80-90% of them will get 0 or 1 vote? Plus having the entries narrowed down will maybe encourage people to try their best to make a better photos than others, and it makes it easier for everyone to make a decision on the poll.

yes there are situations where one may feel they got shafted by not making it into the poll, but a different person will be choosing the limitations and the photos in the following week so its a random cycle pretty much.

So, what if I have the best picture in the group? I just picture someone finally creating some pure work of art and everyone voting for it except for the creator. So then you end up with all but one vote for the winner and that one vote going to something that is good but not the best.

I know I am being difficult but considering that the only time I voted for myself was when I liked my photo the best I felt it was a reasonable question. Last time I checked I had another vote too, so someone agreed with me and I wasn't just tooting my own horn, so to speak.

Just so you know, I agree with the new rules but felt this might want to be addressed before it actually becomes an issue.

If you feel your entry is the best, then do not vote for the others.
May seem lame, but that doesn't give anyone you feel isn't worthy a vote.

194GVan
I dont know how you feel, but whats the point in having 50+ choices when 80-90% of them will get 0 or 1 vote? Plus having the entries narrowed down will maybe encourage people to try their best to make a better photos than others, and it makes it easier for everyone to make a decision on the poll.

yes there are situations where one may feel they got shafted by not making it into the poll, but a different person will be choosing the limitations and the photos in the following week so its a random cycle pretty much.
exactly, and if the same person doesn't make the top 20 two or more weeks in a row, perhaps they should get the hint and start practicing more.

I have checked through week 4, there are OVER 60 entries! I've gone through and picked out the ones that I feel look good and don't bore me, and I still have about 30 that I'm torn between.

And just for anyone who is worried, I don't play favorites here. I'm not picking one because he's my best bud or anything. I don't know anybody on this site personally, and I intend to pick fairly.

I'm not a huge fan of American cars to begin with, but I still picked the theme because I thought it would be a good one. I'm also not picking biased on the car choice either. I dislike the Superbird a lot, because of that stupid wing. But that doesn't mean that I'm not picking any Superbird pics.

I'm making my choices solely based on visual pleasure. If the picture is not boring, the subject is defined, the colors are eye catching, and the composition is good; then I will choose the photo. Composition is one of the most important things to me.

And as I said before, I've picked it down to about 30 or so already... and I'm still waiting for other entries. But between the 30 I've got (plus however many more are submitted) it's going to be a tough choice. you guys are gonna see some good pics, and hopefully the votes will be much higher for each of them. I just hope the competition is close and fierce, and not an obvious landslide (kinda like week two was) because it's sorta pointless if it's like that. I'm not trying to brag at all, but after like 2 days of the poll being open it was clear that I was going to win. Now it week 3 it's clear that the "Midget and Giants" picture is going to win, but the vote margin between that and second is much closer.

Sounds good Slick!👍 I hope this method works well. I think it will! And dori-san, you got a tough job of decision-making ahead of ya! Good luck!:)

JayP
👍 I feel so retarded, thats a good point. I never even thought of that :dunce:

JayP
The other way is ... vote for the second best if you think yours the best
at least your vote is meant to vote an excellent entry
however you can choose not to vote while you think all other entries suck

dori-san
I have checked through week 4, there are OVER 60 entries! I've gone through and picked out the ones that I feel look good and don't bore me, and I still have about 30 that I'm torn between.
Don't pick all of them quite yet, as people are still submitting entries.

I'm still taking the newer ones into account. I got it down to about 30 and with all the new additions I'm back up to about 40. I've got about 4 pictures already that are concrete for the top 20. But yeah, the initial weeding was just to clear out the mediocre ones.

Back