New Famitsu GT-HD scans

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo HD' started by Zer0, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Zer0

Zer0 (Banned)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

*Someone can translate ?

Jay likes this.
  2. Michael88

Michael88

Damn, It looks like GT HD/GT5 only has japanese cars....:crazy:

I've never seen a screenshot with a european/american car; except the strange video wih the yellow GT40.

3. Dave A

Dave A Premium

The demo was nothing more than a demo,. The selectable cars included a Shelby Cobra and a Callaway C7 and some one or two other none Japanese road cars, then there was a few LeMans cars most Japanese and there was the Pescarolo which is French. But it's still just a demo. There was only about 12 cars to chose from in GT:HD, the cars you raced aginst wern't the same cars you could chose from though.

4. VQuick

VQuick

Dude, there's an Audi R8 in the screenshot Zero posted.

5. Alex.

Alex. Premium

looks good- would you need a HD tv?

6. Dave A

Dave A Premium

It's not a game, it's a demo, the same demo as shown at E3 earlier this year. It's just a technical excersise.

7. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

I don't know about that; sounds like it's going to be a game. Read below.

Gran Turismo HD forerunner to new next-gen GT
    Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi tells Famitsu that PS3 game is merely a taste of what's to come; title finalized.

Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi spoke about the next Gran Turismo title in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu. There were two points of interest in the article. First, the parenthetical "working title" has been dropped from the name, implying that Gran Turismo HD is indeed the final title. Second, while Yamauchi lavished praise on the game's high-definition graphics, he stated that the game was not the true next-gen heir to the popular racing series' crown.

Gran Turismo HD (working title)
    Platform: PS3
    Publisher: SCEA
    Release: TBA In the article, Yamauchi called Gran Turismo HD a "port" of the data from Gran Turismo 4, upgraded to take advantage of the PlayStation 3's graphical capabilities. He also said it is "a step in the process of developing a next-generation GT game."

Yamauchi also implied that development on that next-gen game is already under way, albeit at an early stage. "We are working on a version of GT that supports the full PS3 specification," Yamauchi said, adding, "but in this transitional version, I think you'll get a taste of the potential that next generation games hold."

Yamauchi said the idea for the game actually came from an unlikely source, the Photo Mode in GT4, which allowed players to take high-resolution stills. "I thought it would be incredible to see these stills animated in real time," he said. Running at 60 frames per second in 1920x1080p resolution, Gran Turismo HD supports the very highest resolutions available to Japan's newest HD televisions, according to Famitsu.

By Walt Wyman -- GameSpot

8. L8 Apex

L8 Apex

^^^

Mmmmmm....the plot thickens. O_o

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D Premium

Just like I said.

Now I wasn't sure about it, but with the possibility of Polyphony trying to create a game built on the concept of racing through history, it could be a much bigger, longer term task than I thought. Even though they may have been working on GT5 for years, what if they want to have up to a thousand cars as some had speculated, but in order to have a sufficient livery from every decade of racing and driving history? And how many tracks? How many historical races? As I thought about it, I knew I could be looking at a release date beyond 2007.

And then there was the matter of the PS3 being short of some categories of games, like racing. Games for the 360 like Forza 2 were coming, as was GTR2, two pretty heavy hitting games. Plus Forza was aimed squarely at Gran Turismo's turf, a mix of enthusiast and professional racing.

So along comes Gran Turismo HD, a demo of selected GT4 assets put together in a PS3 compatible program with much higher definition, along with downloadable content from Sony servers at the E3 show. A demo which had been built in only a matter of weeks according to Kaz! Couple that with Kazunori-sama's remarks that Gran Turismo may be showing up closer to Playstation 3's release than you think - note that he didn't say GT5, and I began to think that GT HD was indeed going to be a game to tide us over till Gran Turismo 5 was finished. It wasn't a sure thing by any stretch, but I was hoping.

I'd sure be happy to have a GT4 updated with PS3 compatible code, high resolution graphics and an updated physics engine, more cars on track, perhaps goodies like racing mod and a paint shop, online play and maybe even bots with more human AI, and downloadable content. Whatever Polyphony gives us, I'll sure be happy with.

10. Solid Lifters

Solid Lifters

I just hope it's not too small or a complete clone of GT4. If it's either, I wont buy it.

But it looks like bikes will be in this one. I don't have TT, so that would be new for me. If it has several dozen new cars, at least two new tracks and more racing events with a better AI system, then yes, I would buy it.

11. cudadude2

cudadude2

i think the adaptation of gt4 with the new tech is a pretty good idea. If form were to follow history gt5 would come out as a much smaller game, fewer tracks, and cars, like gt1 and gt3 witch were followed by their much larger brothers gt2 and gt4. Bringing gt4 with some upgrades is like getting a head start.

b

12. Jay

Jay Premium

If GTHD happens I just hope they make other improvements, like physics, sounds, extra cars etc (not just GT4 in HD)

I will be buying it anyway now I have a TV to suit.

13. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

Actually, the article is screaming about Audi R8 and Pescarolo.
    First section of the article(next to the pics) talks a lot about Audi R8 and Pescarolo. It notes that '04 R8 which wasn't available in the Japanese GT4 is seen in the screenshot.

In the bottome left, Yamauchi comments "I want to release the next generation of GT before too long after the release of PS3".

And in the box(bottom right) is pretty much what Solid Lifters presented in his article, except for minor differences. He also seems to comment about how GT HD is 3 times better than the "high vision" broadcast(Japanese HD?), and 13.5 times better than GT4 in some graphics related spec, but I can't quite make out the scan. Edit: I'm sorry. I clicked on the second page, and missed the first page. Translation in this post is the second page. I'll check out the first page now.

14. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

Highlights from the second page:

Amount of data(per second) in GT HD is 13.5 times more than GT4.

Up to 12 cars can be raced at the same time, while maintaining high quality graphics.

More work were put into the human models, like pit crews. It would be possible to add larger crowd of spectators in the races.

In the playable demo, motorcycles were seen racing with the cars. At E3, there were 4 courses and 10 cars/bikes to choose from. While it didn't feature online play, they are testing the "GT4 Online Experimental Version"(same stuff we have in the States, I'm sure), so they(famitsu or whatever mag this is) are hopeful.

In the box at the bottom of the page:
    "First GT was displayed at 320x240p(progressive). GT4 at 340x480i(interlaced). GT HD at 1920x1080p at 60 frames per second." note - Pretty much what Solid Lifter's article said, I think. They seemed to have gotten mixed up on the GT and GT4's resolution. GT4 should have had progressive, not the first GT.

"Yamauchi comments that his goal is not an 'expansion' of the Gran Turismo World, but an 'explosion'. -from the official homepage.

I hope he means the "explosion" in the good way. :D

ALPHA likes this.
  15. Jay

Jay Premium

Thanks for translation highlights a6m5 :tup:

I would +rep but it says I must spread more around first.

16. Tedehur

Tedehur Staff Emeritus

It looks to me like a mere part of the PS3 marketing plan.
    Take GT4, improve some graphics, label it Gran Turismo HD and here we go.
    That'll make people spend a few hundreds bucks on a PS3 while waiting for the real GT5 (the one with realistic damage, realistic AI, and a real online mode) to be eventually released.
    And that'll increase the PS3 market share for zero cost.

:yuck:

17. MasterGT

MasterGT

GameSpot seems to be yanking some of our chains and putting their own spin on things, too (which has never been a good thing).

Since SCE has not announced anything about a new version yet, we must presume this is still only a demo for TGS. Another show, another demo.

If SONY was smart, instead of releasing this, they should have thought about releasing GT4 On-line for all of the PS2 players, a looong time ago. They would have made tons more money than what they could ever hope to get by releasing this sort of crap in PS3-only form, plus the GT4 On-line version would still be able to be played on the PS3.

Don't count on this demo ever being released.

Cheers,

MasterGT

18. a6m5

a6m5 Premium

Thank you, Jay. Don't worry about the points, happens to me all the time. 2 out of 3 people I tried to rep last night, I couldn't rep because of same thing. :ouch:

In their website, they do call it the "Prototype", but also says it is fully playable version. On one hand, after all the effort they've put in it, they might release it to make some $$$. But on the other hand, at least in the U.S., they have never released(as in for sale) any kind of special edition GT outside the 1 - 4 to tie us over.

And I agree with you on the PS2/Online GT4. If they actually wanted to do "right", they would go that route. But Sony/P.D. is a money making corporation. They want to promote PS3 right now, not PS2. I'm still hoping for GT Online for PS2, but I highly doubt it. :grumpy:

---------------------------------------------------------

You can find shots of motorcycle racing with cars, race before/after crowd were added, etc., on the official GT homepage: http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/sp/detail.do?article_id=165

19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D Premium

A whole gob of PS2s can't go online - including mine which are speced to work with the broadband adaptor. And how is GameSpot supposed to be yanking any chains or putting spin on things? It's an interview done with Kazunori himself, published in Famitsu. These are Kazunori's remarks. Neither Famitsu or GameSpot are The Inquirer or some XBox owned site. Kazunori would have to be lying to us.

basje_1 likes this.
  20. fasj6418

fasj6418

if it cames out with 12 cars in the track, better AI, 2000 cars, and online mode, then it might not be as bad as i thought...

21. Law93

Law93

the only thing that would make the game not fun is if it doesn't come out on PS2.

22. ALPHA

ALPHA

Trusty Game Watch has supplied some full resolution images (as a .zip file)—though they’ve been slightly over compressed, they do the job nicely.

It’s difficult to tell if the cars are using updated textures or not, though the LMP drivers’ helmets are still pixel–tastic. The models are standard GT4 assets, but early pictures showed no improvements in the vehicle’s textures, however various surfaces have clearly been upscaled. The Grand Canyon has had a slight overhaul, compare these full resolution images of GT4 and GTHD.

Also to note, these images appear to be from the e3 GTHD demo, as the branding has been adapted for the American market. For example the Toyota GT–One displays Exxon Superflo decals rather than the actual Esso Ultron which is used in the PAL and initial NTSC–J releases. For reference take a look at maskrider’s captures of the Japanese version, Esso Ultron anyone?

Videos from e3 didn’t show any sparks or visible dirt/smoke effects, I can only presume that the PS3 will allow for some sweet particle simulations. We’ve seen vehicles with higher poly counts than current GT4 assets in the Vision GT video from TGS2005 with visible cockpit detail and motion captured drivers. I guess with a GT4.5 ready for launch, we’ll finally be able to experience larger grids and less stale environments—what GT4 was meant to be. 12 player LAN anyone? :mischievous:

23. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

There goes my plan for watching Sony stumble and fall flat on its face in the XB360-Wii-PS3 console war... :(

GTHD could be nothing more than a combination of GT4O and TT that runs in the photo-mode engine all of the time (ie. no new content other than the online play) and Sony would still sell zillions of PS3s and copies of the game.

24. MasterGT

MasterGT

Magazines and web sites have their own agenda - make games look and sound good, to keep customers buying and the ad money rolling in. Look at all of that crap we had to sift through about GT4, especially all of those imaginary release dates. I don't trust them much. The same goes for this story, the idea for this demo did not happen as quoted in the article, regardless as to who was quoted saying it.

The E3/2006 demo, GT-HD, was made in only a few weeks because KY's boss came for a visit to PD and "requested" something be ready for that earlier show. KY was reluctant to do it, but how do you say "no" to your boss, so he slapped some GT4 Photo Mode images together, to make a small, recompiled version with GT4 images look good on the PS3 hardware.

This TGS demo seems to be just an updated version of the E3 demo. The only source is the Japanese magazine and nothing official has been said as to whether this will be an actual release. For the life of me, I can't imagine PD cobbling together an upgraded demo just to be used as in "interim" GT PS3 release. SONY needs quality PS3 products to sell their new hardware and that is what most people think of PD products - quality, not playable demos.

They haven't even shown this demo at the TGS yet nor have we heard any product announcements, so why speculate on this with such little concrete info?

Cheers,

MasterGT

25. Robin

Robin Premium

I wish they would stop showing this GTHD... its just GT4 jazzed up..... the only real hint of next gen we have seen is the short trailer of the blue mazda rx7 and evo..... with a one second shot of in car view that was all we got!

PD should just show us some proper next gen stuff..... I would prefer no news then this GTHD news.....It is literally running it in photomode quality on a bigger screen.....

Robin

26. ALPHA

ALPHA

Zer0 are you able to supply the original source of these scans—what’s with the Ruliweb and Jeux France references?

The Official Japanese Playstation site makes reference to a 『グランツーリスモ』シリーズ (Gran Turismo Series) title being shown at TGS 2006, and on the PS3 Title Line Up page, references to Gran Turismo HD and “Series” are made—it even links to an individual product page with a short blurb. Whilst not substantial, this is evidence of an actual GT HD title.

27. Zer0

Zer0 (Banned)

The scans come from the 2ch message boards (http://2ch.net), it seems that the person who scanned them put the references, says something like "Jeux France and Ruliweb are **** sites". :lol:

28. MasterGT

MasterGT

Just as I figured, the Game Watch site describes this as a "GT4" based PS3 technical demonstration.

So, we can all relax now in the comfort of knowing that this is not going on sale.
    Whew!

Cheers,

MasterGT

29. red7

red7

So even if this does come out and the tech demo is a foundation who cares? If it indeed is released in some form, I would think pd would add more than just online play and refined hd graphics, thats my guess. If it is not released fine but it would be nice to have online gt untill gt5, wouldn't it......

30. the Interceptor

the Interceptor Premium

I don't understand why you believe this website, when you don't believe the others. And I don't see any reason why the others would fake an interview with Kaz, saying that GTHD will be an actual game. And why not? I am only interested in Gran Turismo when it comes to games on the Playstation, so if GTHD will be a launch title, the chances that I'll buy a PS3 immediately will be much higher.