Jeep Thread

United States
Elizabeth, New Jersey, USA
Although the name of this new model isn't yet known (I bet it'll be called "Commander" or "Wagoneer"), it seems to be based on the current Grand Cherokee and for the US market, rather than the full-size Grand Commander that was China-only.

upload_2020-8-4_11-10-45.png

Suppose I'll post it here. The new Grand Wagoneer was revealed today and boy is it huge.... It honestly looks more like a Commander than a throwback to the Grand Wagoneer. The interior looks great, but I can't help but find the exterior to be a little ugly. Nice to know that they're trying to go away from the black trim around the side windows, but it looks weird from the rear quarter. This is a "Concept," so it's not ready for production until 2022.
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/09/j...t-accurately-previews-truck-based-2022-model/
Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Concept-9.jpg

Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Concept-7.jpg

Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Concept-23.jpg

Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-Concept-21.jpg

You know, I think it is the separate side windows that is throwing me off since I'm so used to the "black trim to make it all look like one window" approach, that and the unnecessary slope in the rear side window. They are definitely going for the "Range Rover crowd" with the multitude of screens (first time I've seen one on the passenger side like that). Is that a 2-spoke steering wheel? I can't tell if there is a third spoke that is just black or not.

That's a seriously ugly vehicle. The full front LED strip isn't bad but the rest of it is just an over-designed mess.

Yeah, not a fan of that. It doesn't look like anything else Jeep has on its lineup and the proportions are all wrong. It looks like its for the Chinese market rather than for USDM.

The roof treatment is actually pretty interesting. However, I think it's very strange that they strived so hard to make it look like a natural extension of the Grand Cherokee/Ram styling...

And then gave up after they had designed everything in front of the A-Pillar to make it look as slab-sided as the Tahoe as possible. The rear of the roof and how it and the window interacts with the tailgate is the biggest offender, as it seemed far more interesting in the camo vehicles.

Last edited:
It's like the designer was handed a checklist of every trendy styling cue that's been used on completely different types of vehicles in the last decade and told "make sure you use all of these, but also make sure that it looks Jeep-y". There's just waaay too much going on there and very little of it goes together well.

Whoa. The rear door windows are...unique. I don't hate it, but it's a little forgettable and yet overwrought at the same time. The styling reminds me a bit of the Renegade to be honest, just puffed up in all directions.

Wow, while the Navigator is fairly reserved and elegant, this thing is straight up bodacious and opulent. They both do retro American luxury pretty well but definitely choose different aspects of that classic luxury. Love it.

It's got some really weird/unique design aspects, especially the painted pillar treatment. It does make the truck look tough but also compartmentalized. The last American truck I can think of with painted pillars were the 2012-ish Chevy trucks, all of which looked like they were built from different sections stuck together like Legos. This truck has the same look. Its not bad...it's just weird. They must be pretty confident because that design aspect is not exactly easy to change. I was expecting chrome trim in that area, not body-painted pillars. Despite the bolt pillars they've done a good job of making the truck look planted to the ground and horizontal, but it does also look blocky and very macho.

Fun fact, a good friend of mine and the aero lead on my FSAE team was in charge of the aero for the Wagoneer and its variants. He's been giving us progress updates since the scale/CAD model phase like two years ago. All you Motown Michiganders can take comfort in the fact that this truck's aero was designed by an Ohio State graduate ;)

@GranTurNismo How about a thread title change?

Last edited:
Reminds me of a Navigator with some Jeep-styling cues put in place, but I don't think it's actually ugly, though. A little odd at some angles, but it's definitely gone all-in for a luxury vehicle. Inside looks really high-tier, Mercedes-esque.

The Escalade/Navigator market probably has room for another competitor, and I think this will probably start around their $75K price tags if a fully-loaded Wagoneer runs $100K. I'm curious to learn though, if a $75K-100K Jeep is widely accepted. I know there's a $100,000 Jeep built from the "Hellcat-everything" department, but does it actually sell well or do people hesitate at $100,000 on a Jeep?

No wood panelling? :dopey:

That interior is very Range Rover-esque. I wouldn't necessarily call the exterior ugly either.

No wood panelling? :dopey:

That interior is very Range Rover-esque. I wouldn't necessarily call the exterior ugly either.
I think some clever wood grain cladding or two tone colouring under the clear coat, might not look bad. Maybe a deep burnt orange or dark tan(from the Chrysler color chart).

I actually like the overall shape. Like a Mega size Compass.

Edit: Similar to this(just popped up in my FB feed):
FB_IMG_1599246931483.jpg

Last edited:
Fun fact, a good friend of mine and the aero lead on my FSAE team was in charge of the aero for the Wagoneer and its variants. He's been giving us progress updates since the scale/CAD model phase like two years ago. All you Motown Michiganders can take comfort in the fact that this truck's aero was designed by an Ohio State graduate ;)

So this Jeep's aerodynamics reflect that experience? Decent design theory but actually middling results? ;)

I really like that design, very retrofuturistic and lots of Americana going on.

All it needs now is the wood!

Although the name of this new model isn't yet known (I bet it'll be called "Commander" or "Wagoneer"), it seems to be based on the current Grand Cherokee and for the US market, rather than the full-size Grand Commander that was China-only.

View attachment 946431
Speaking of which, these photos never actually were the Grand Wagoneer. This is definitely the Grand Cherokee L - shoter front overhang than the Wagoneer, longer door-to-arch distance, rearward sloped roof. I guess we all assumed it was the Wagoneer instead.

So this Jeep's aerodynamics reflect that experience? Decent design theory but actually middling results? ;)
I don't know how I just saw this but damn lol. Can't argue with you. Were you on a team between 2014-2017?

Last edited:
This may be one of the times an oversize grille might have worked better. I guess the overall vehicle is fine. Needs wood side panels.

I suppose this is a combined Big Jeep thread so let's introduce the production version Wagoneer and Grand Wagoneer!

2022-jeep-grand-wagoneer-131-1615401970.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad looking, but too similar to the Grand Cherokee L. I was hoping Jeep's most expensive SUV would be more bespoke.

Not bad looking, but too similar to the Grand Cherokee L. I was hoping Jeep's most expensive SUV would be more bespoke.
It's quite a bit bigger than the Cherokee. It slots in between a Tahoe and Suburban in length. It also doesn't have a unibody like the Grand Cherokee, it's got a ladder frame like its truck-based competition.

Sticking this here since this thing is not worthy of it’s thread…

The wife booked a test drive in a Gran Cherokee L Summit and I have to say I was very impressed. Unsurprisingly the ride quality was on another planet compared to her 16’ Wrangler, but still not as smooth as my 4Runner TRD Pro. I think this was mostly because of the 20” wheels though.

However the interior blew me away. It’s one of the nicest I’ve seen at that price range. Very comfortable and feels very high quality. Definitely the perfect mom whip.

no pics of it but here is it’s listing

Last edited:
Had to check that link again. $80,000USD?! Holy snaps! Thought that'd be $50k. I'm way out of step with car pricing in the USA.
That'll be about $100k over here.

Back