New Gran Turismo 7 "Starting Line" Trailer Reveals More New & Returning Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 608 comments
GT has never been about simulating real motorsports. Ever. Not even in GT Sport, since it is always ran with accelerated tyre/fuel wear and uses fictional racing groups. It's clear they have never cared to do that. That's what you get from Project CARS, not GT.
No one is making a claim that GTS did simulate motorsport :grumpy: And I know what I said is less likely but then honestly what are users here allowed to say?

honestly what are users here allowed to say?
Anything you want. Just like you're doing, and just like he's doing - not one single person is stopping you. Simply disagreeing or offering a counterpoint is not even remotely the same as trying to hush something so I'm not sure why some pretend as much. Discuss it or don't, but don't pretend someone is silencing you, they have no power over what you are allowed to talk about and vice-versa.

Also, motorsports are specifically being talked about in regard to the car, so I'm not even sure what you're grasping at. Someone claimed it should be banned in GTS because it was banned in motorsports. You literally responded to someone in that exact discussion.

Last edited:
No one is making a claim that GTS did simulate motorsport :grumpy: And I know what I said is less likely but then honestly what are users here allowed to say?
Why so hostile? People were talking about the 2J and the fact it was banned in real motorsport, with someone suggesting it therefore shouldn't race in GT, I merely replied to that general thought about GT replicating real motorsport.

I wasn't directly responding to what you said. If I was, I'd have quoted you.

Just to add to the discussion of the 2J, quick reminder that in GTS, that kind of car was categorized as a Gr.X, which wasn't an actual racing category to begin with. If there is a class specificaly made for each of those Gr.X cars, and the 2J so happens to be paired with the likes of the 330 P4, XJ-13, etc, then the PP system should do its job.

Also, just because they race together on a trailer, doesn't mean that, in a racing series with any sort of BOP, they will. It could happen in campaign mode, as it's fairly common to see some mismatches, which wouldn't happen in a more serious/more restricted race.

Realising that mystery track I’m searching for, might be DTS II Penalty Zone-Larini section. Just at a flatter angle. Anyway, we’ll see… eventually. :)
1634939389430.jpeg

I find it hilarious that some people complain about the addition of the Chaparall 2J, maybe these same people are the same people who find it fun to play some games where in the Online Lobbies you find people using Cadillac Limousines competing against Supercars. :lol:

The fact that the screenshot on the website shows the 2J alongside the Alpine A210, the Porsche 917, and Jaguar XJ-13 makes me hope there truly could be a "Gr.1V" for GT7, which would also include the Ferrari 330 P4 and Ford Mark IV. Granted, the selection of cars in that footage could just be for promotional use, but still, it'd be nice.

Similarly, I'm still hoping for a "Gr.3V" for vintage grand tourers like the Shelby Daytona Coupe, and perhaps another vintage group for 1950s sports cars, like the Aston Martin DB3S, the Jaguar D-Type, and upcoming racers like the Cunningham C4-R or the Maserati A6GCS.

Last edited:
Ok, now show us PS4 gameplay...
Should be as good as Sport and Im getting it anyway unless PS5'S become readily available by March.

The fact that the screenshot on the website shows the 2J alongside the Alpine A210, the Porsche 917, and Jaguar XJ-13 makes me hope there truly could be a "Gr.1V" for GT7, which would also include the Ferrari 330 P4 and Ford Mark IV. Granted, the selection of cars in that footage could just be for promotional use, but still, it'd be nice.

Similarly, I'm still hoping for a "Gr.3V" for vintage grand tourers like the Shelby Daytona Coupe, and perhaps another vintage group for 1950s sports cars, like the Aston Martin DB3S, the Jaguar D-Type, and upcoming racers like the Cunningham C4-R or the Maserati A6GCS.
Im thinking the Gr ratings are going away and back to the old ratings. Thank god the N class is out of here and back to PP.

The way the car list is going, looks a little more hopeful to have closer classes of 20 cars per grid. More like the Historic Races in GT Sport. Could see a return of this to race against the Cobra and 250 GTO
D9F9A653-8158-48F4-BE8F-6C3167D6B988.jpeg

1635017748274.jpeg

However, to go just a small step further, there need to be a multi-class structure as well. Or maybe rewarding players for performance.

I mean, if I use a Gordini R8 and I’m never going to win versus a 330, I should be rewarded if I finish ahead of another Gordini or say a Mini ‘65 while racing slower cars like my Renault.

edit: Also, how cool for PD to show the Alpine 220 racing at Monza, when it debuted at Monza.

Last edited:
Imagine the explosion at GTP if PD is just trolling us with these track layout easter eggs :lol: And before you say it's in the trailer, it must be in the game, remember the GT5P ending credits has the track maps of all the tracks from GT4...and a lot of these didn't make it into GT5 or even GT6.

The tracks are technically in the game, just unused and unfinished ;)

Although, it would be wise IMO to take these trailers with a grain of salt. Anything can change before release. SSR11 even appeared in GT6's trailer for instance, and Lotus was playable even in the Beta of GTS.

I’ve been wanting this is GT for ages, more specific sub categories for various types of machinery. Like a Group 6 for 60s era sports prototypes (GT40, P4, XJ13), or Group C for the Le Mans racers of the 80s. Doubt it will happen though.

Just hope Polyphony create enough events in the campaign mode where we can race historic machines against one another. To be fair GTS was a big improvement here over past games. The field was quite random mind, Toyota 2000GT vs Ferrari P4 vs the Mercedes Red Pig? Classic Gran Turismo randomness haha.

Ive always found the create a race feature in arcade mode to be rather lacking. Imagine if you could select your opponents. At least that would make up for the shortcomings with the lack of specific groups.

I’ve been wanting this is GT for ages, more specific sub categories for various types of machinery. Like a Group 6 for 60s era sports prototypes (GT40, P4, XJ13), or Group C for the Le Mans racers of the 80s. Doubt it will happen though.

Just hope Polyphony create enough events in the campaign mode where we can race historic machines against one another. To be fair GTS was a big improvement here over past games. The field was quite random mind, Toyota 2000GT vs Ferrari P4 vs the Mercedes Red Pig? Classic Gran Turismo randomness haha.

Ive always found the create a race feature in arcade mode to be rather lacking. Imagine if you could select your opponents. At least that would make up for the shortcomings with the lack of specific groups.
One of the worse parts about having the 2000GT in Nostalgic 1979 races, we couldn't even choose them. They were Rivals only cars.
Meanwhile, the GR.X cars were Rivals cars in the nostalgic races, In Amateur League. Couldn't use one for the those races. PDLogic™

I have a question I have been wondering the last days.
The title of newest trailer was The Starting Line (Behind the Scenes).
Could it be possible that next week at PS5 Showcase event will be a full trailer with the name The Starting Line?

I have a question I have been wondering the last days.
The title of newest trailer was The Starting Line (Behind the Scenes).
Could it be possible that next week at PS5 Showcase event will be a full trailer with the name The Starting Line?
It should be released independently, and next week’s State of Play will focus on third parties.

The thing is though in the most recent trailers, the car statistics scale (max speed, acceleration, braking, cornering and stability) are gone, and I think we will need that back as that is equally as important as a car's PP level, and that it could really work hand-in-hand with each other so that cars within the same PP region can easily be compared.

Last edited:
The thing is though in the most recent trailers, the car statistics scale (max speed, acceleration, braking, cornering and stability) are gone, and I think we will need that back as that is equally as important as a car's PP level, and that it could really work hand-in-hand with each other so that cars within the same PP region can easily be compared.
True, obviously it's more detailed than just a number which PP does (and PP should be the overall stat of the combined stats), but it'd need to be refined even to a greater extent than PP. I even made a question about the car stats, like due to the top speed being really high in almost any supercars, including Viper GTS. And honestly I'd want for Circuit Experience to be accessible in any car (and implemented as the game's Practice Mode for races, but can be accessed on its own still), with PP to determine the clock for Gold/Silver/Bronze. But with stats, I'd find it more accurate to determine the track time for the car, using each of the car's state determining the clock (top speed, acceleration, cornering, etc.), and the track itself will also determine which stat is the best of that track (like top speed for tracks with more straight lines, and thus top speed of that car influences more of the clock).

How would you handle the car stats though, like which scale? (0.0 to 10.0, or similar to PP numbers so its easier to determine overall PP, etc.)

GT is one of the racing games that never implemented any performance stats other than hp or such, and it took them late to implement that in GT5 spec 2.0, but only for the number in PP. I wonder why, probably it's to simulate some "realism" where you won't know the car's performance until you feel it (not that I think it's right approach, like irl there are car datas like 0-60, and Brembo trailer displayed a kind of this, but so far the less common one compared to 0-60), but you think stats are important to be implemented in racing games...

Last edited:
One reason we might not have those stats available straight away (on the dealership atleast), is to allow players to discover for themselves. So instead of buying a car by looking at it's stats, the players have to experience the car. Maybe the "factory" 0-60 time and top speed in the dealership should be enough (for road cars, for race cars it's down to the setup so don't bother with that). Though it would be nice to be able to record the results you get on a car.

Thank God! The Mercedes w08 is returning!!!

I was so worried that it wouldn't be in gt7 because of licensing crap. So glad my favorite car in gt sport has made it. I wouldn't mind other f1 cars but especially without VR I despise the halo. The merc w08 being the last great f1 car without the halo makes it extra special and more enjoyable to drive in 2D

Though hopefully there's full psvr 2 support on gt7. Frankly I'm gonna be furious if not. Already not happy about how massively ps4 is holding gt7 back

The classic GT500 cars will probably just be put into Gr.2 like the 2008 GT500 cars were in GTS and power-boosted to heck in the BOP.

Or that new collection feature could have a specific '90s/early 2000s GT500 section that can be used in races too instead of just as a museum thing. I'd like that.

I must have missed it, where was it said the Gr1-4 system would remain? All I saw was the interview here where it was implied it was gone entirely.

Performance Points Return​

Gran Turismo 7 is officially ditching GT Sport‘s somewhat-controversial car classification system in favor of a return to the “Performance Points” last seen in Gran Turismo 6. However, Yamauchi made it clear that the new Points system is much more sophisticated than its predecessor.

“The Performance Point calculation that we have in GT7 is totally different from what we had in the past. Before it was calculated by a sort of magic formula, but in Gran Turismo 7, the system is simulation-based. If the user tweaks a certain setting in a certain way, internally the system will actually run your car with those settings on an imaginary track to produce the real Performance Point value. It will be much more exact than what we had in the past,” he explained.

Back