New Gran Turismo 7 "Starting Line" Trailer Reveals More New & Returning Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 608 comments
Well, I agree it’s not the most innovative series anymore, but the quality is up there. At least in GT Sport it is, not so much in GT5/6.
That's also debatable really. The main draw of GT Sport, the online racing, is plagued with problems. The penalty thread is one of the longest threads in the GTS forum. They never got the BOP right after this many years. Same with the points system. And every week we still get lots of people getting disconnected from the server. Lots of the top drivers in the 2018/2019 FIA season have left the game in recent times because they're fed up with all these issues that PD refuses to address.

In terms of graphical quality and not having standard cars, yes GTS is much better than GT5/6.

Innovation wise, I really love Scapes, but not much has changed in terms of the driving experience since GT5P. This is the supposed to be the core of the game, but currently I'm more looking forward to taking photos and listening to the menu music than the racing in GT7.

That's also debatable really. The main draw of GT Sport, the online racing, is plagued with problems. The penalty thread is one of the longest threads in the GTS forum. They never got the BOP right after this many years. Same with the points system. And every week we still get lots of people getting disconnected from the server. Lots of the top drivers in the 2018/2019 FIA season have left the game in recent times because they're fed up with all these issues that PD refuses to address.

In terms of graphical quality and not having standard cars, yes GTS is much better than GT5/6.

Innovation wise, I really love Scapes, but not much has changed in terms of the driving experience since GT5P. This is the supposed to be the core of the game, but currently I'm more looking forward to taking photos and listening to the menu music than the racing in GT7.
You forgot collision physics, another major quality issue they've not resolved since...well ever.

You forgot collision physics, another major quality issue they've not resolved since...well ever.
Not just the physics. what’s up with the invisible box surrounding the cars? It doesn’t look good when contact is made either

:bowdown: High-precision laser scanner to track

!?

1636637514264.png

I mean, it depends what your definition of high precision is. But it doesn't really matter how detailed your track surface is if the physics don't use that information to meaningfully inform the physics.
This, you can have a very bumpy road that feels smooth in game because the physics don't refresh fast enough to register the bumps. Refresh rate of calcualtions is an often overlooked aspect and it was one of the things that concerned me when news broke of GT7 being cross gen, because if it's cross play as well they can't have faster physics on PS5 than PS4 or it's a very uneven playing field. Hopefully they find a way to increase the refresh rate on PS4, but it won't be as fast as it coud be on PS5 no matter what they do on the PS4 version.

That said, I'm pleasently surprised that the PS4 appears to be getting the dynamic time and weather that the PS5 version will get. So it could turn out better than I expect it to in this regard.

Last edited:
As long as the glass surface has been roughed a little with sandpaper this time I guess it should be "fine". :dopey:

Also, if PD utilise the surface data they gathered, we could see each track with different abrasion. We needs that.
They speak of the haptic feedback of the track surface but I suspect that none of it will be anything more than a superficial feeling.

Well, quite. Collision between open wheelers is still terrible both visually and physics wise.
It would be cool if open wheel cars in GT had similar contact physics to the original Automobilista. Probably the only sim I've seen that does it so accurately, not sure if it would be very fun in such chaotic online races though.
1636766077629.png

Last edited:
not sure if it would be very fun in such chaotic online races though.
1636766077629.png

Maybe this is exactly what we need. To make the first lap chicane of Monza survivable and to teach people the etiquette of clean racing. :P

Last edited:
Maybe this is exactly what we need. To make the first lap chicane of Monza survivable and to teach people the etiquette of clean racing. :P
We had a 46 lap race at Monza last night between Gr.1 and Gr.3 the battles at first chicane was insane. The race was clean and close I really enjoy GTS, I can’t wait for GT7!! If any of you have free time grab a couple of beers and watch the replay

Last edited:
We had a 46 lap race at Monza last night between Gr.1 and Gr.3 the battles at first chicane was insane. The race was clean and close I really enjoy GTS, I can’t wait for GT7!! If you have free time grab a couple of beers and watch the replay

Sure, but that was organized racing. Most random lobbies with all strangers who just met for a quick race don’t race like that.

I’d love to watch. But I just went to bed, sick kids and all. Need the sleep I can get before they wake up. :ouch:

Sure, but that was organized racing. Most random lobbies with all strangers who just met for a quick race don’t race like that.

I’d love to watch. But I just went to bed, sick kids and all. Need the sleep I can get before they wake up. :ouch:
Bro when you have free time just go to the gT league section, I am sure you will find a group of good racers that can fit your schedule! Trust me every week you will have something to look forward too! Hope your kids feel better!!

Bro when you have free time just go to the gT league section, I am sure you will find a group of good racers that can fit your schedule! Trust me every week you will have something to look forward too! Hope your kids feel better!!
One can hope. The risk of having to leave mid race is big. I don’t race more than 2 laps in case they wake up. I have responsibility to look after the oldest (he’s 3) and my wife the youngest (he turned 1 today). I hate when people leave mid race, I don’t want to turn into one. :lol:

Because on PC you can map your gamepad to directly control a car in a simulator, just like a steering wheel. It's possible to drive like this, but it's incredibly hard. Like, unbelievably hard. I did a whole lap of Laguna Seca without going off with a controller like this once just to see if I could. It took me half an hour to learn how to do it, and while it was an achievement it was also ****ing awful. It would be immediately noticeable if a racing game had no filtering and assists on it's controls.

Given this one would strongly suspect that there's filtering and assists on the gamepad in Gran Turismo. So you can go looking for it. And you'll find that the gamepad will simply smooth out a lot of the more violent inputs. Going from no steering angle to full left lock in a tenth of a second should be incredibly upsetting for most cars, but in the game they just deal with it because the pad filtering assumes that you don't want to go to full lock instantly, you want to go as fast as is reasonable without upsetting the car. The game knows that you have limited ability to have fine feel and adjustment on countersteering, so it helps you out as long as you make the effort to countersteer in a roughly correct way. When you're at high speed it assumes that your steering inputs will be much smaller than if you're at low speed. And so on and so on. You can test most of this stuff in-game yourself.

It's all very sensible and all very necessary to have a game that can be played by the average person who doesn't have incredible fine motor control. But it is assists, because the vast majority of gamepad players need assistance to be able to play in a way that isn't frustrating. It's not even so much about keeping up with wheel players as much as it is making the game fun to play. It's not fun if you spin the car every time you twitch the control stick a millimeter too far.
I guess an easy way to look at it is if you were sitting in your actual physical car and tried to steer it with game controller sticks rather than the steering wheel, it would be pretty much impossible - therefore all racing games have to have some degree of assistance added to the control sticks to make the games playable.

Last edited:
I'm not sure we'll have a Finish Line video. The Starting Line dealt with car culture. I'm thinking the next video, if it's the last, will deal with the future. Not mearly VGT, but youth entusiasm to keep car entusiasm alive. This means EVs and virtual engagement with targeting future generations.
Kaz mentioning, in an aroundabout way, he's a custodian of automobile history in using Gran Turismo. Maybe he'll touch on that in such a video clip.

If we are getting more videos, full length or otherwise, I think we'll see a cars of GT7 video and maybe more weather conditions showcases. As some have mentioned, these snippets aren't the making of the game, but just his thoughts. Likely to keep the hype and on the flip, some calm before indepth features about the game. Just a thought.

Speaking of weather and that tidbit of info about how all tracks won't actually have dynamic ToD/Weather, I could see them leaving out all of this information because it's so limited and otherwise disappointing.

Speaking of weather and that tidbit of info about how all tracks won't actually have dynamic ToD/Weather, I could see them leaving out all of this information because it's so limited and otherwise disappointing.
More disappointing than having under 500 cars? I dunno, man… May need a poll for that.

Let us wait for the next Behind The Scenes trailer or is the season with 7 episodes over?
I feel there is at least 1 more to come ‘The Finish Line’. Which I assume will come today? I thought initially it was random but if you look at the dates on the GT YouTube page, there’s clearly a pattern:
  1. The Starting Line - 21/10
  2. Collector - 26/10 (5 days)
  3. Racer - 28/10 (2 days)
  4. Livery - 2/11 (5 days)
  5. Scapes - 4/11 (2 days)
  6. Tuner - 9/11 (5 days)
  7. Tracks - 11/11 (2 days)
  8. ????? - 16/11?? (5 days)

I feel there is at least 1 more to come ‘The Finish Line’. Which I assume will come today? I thought initially it was random but if you look at the dates on the GT YouTube page, there’s clearly a pattern:
  1. The Starting Line - 21/10
  2. Collector - 26/10 (5 days)
  3. Racer - 28/10 (2 days)
  4. Livery - 2/11 (5 days)
  5. Scapes - 4/11 (2 days)
  6. Tuner - 9/11 (5 days)
  7. Tracks - 11/11 (2 days)
  8. ????? - 16/11?? (5 days)
Good spot! I don't remember at what time of day the videos usually hit, or if there was a pattern to it at all or not. Still hoping for a new one to drop today.

Back