New Gran Turismo 7 "Starting Line" Trailer Reveals More New & Returning Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 608 comments
After 5 years of GT Sport, I have NEVER seen a lobby with a full grid of the 20 mil Gr X cars….and the community will be forced to start that grind all over again.

Maybe in another 5-10 years, we might actually see a grid of vintage Le Mans cars.
For me PD was so stingy with 20 mil cars... and with the daily roullete they were mocking us.. Never i was so lucky to win a 20 mil car... and finaly must rethink all of that.. i hope that we can buy from 'auction' house in GT7...

For me PD was so stingy with 20 mil cars... and with the daily roullete they were mocking us.. Never i was so lucky to win a 20 mil car... and finaly must rethink all of that.. i hope that we can buy from 'auction' house in GT7...
I got the Jaguar XJ-13 from the roulette. Not sure if it was a dailly roullete or from an event/mission, but I got it. Though I've seen some of the others a few times, like the 250 GTO, and wasn't so lucky. If we had a way to sell the cars in Sport, I think the 20 mil Cr. cars would be fine. Any new car earned from the roulette is a win, any duplicate would be also a win if it could be sold. We need more roulettes though, for challenges, per level up and campaign events.

Last edited:
I got the Jaguar XJ-13 from the roullete. Not sure if it was a dailly roullete or from an event/mission, but I got it. Though I've seen some of the others a few times, like the 250 GTO, and wasn't so lucky. If we had a way to sell the cars in Sport, I think the 20 mil Cr. cars would be fine. Any new car earned from the roullete is a win, any duplicate would be also a win if it could be sold. We need more roulletes though, for challenges, per level up and campaign events.
Didn't know the russian roulette exist in gt sport 😂

Didn't know the russian roulette exist in gt sport 😂
I mean, when I get the cheap car instead of the three other million+ cars, might aswell be a russian roulette. It gets me mad, getting the MiTO once again, when literally everything else on that roulete was far better. :lol:
In any online game, enhanced customization of player avatars always places additional load on the game and servers. In GT, your car is your avatar in an online lobby.

I think you’re also very confused about what customization entails. A Gr 4 Nissan GTR is not a “customized road car GTR”. In terms of the way it is programmed in the game, the Gr4 car is a completely separate model from the road car, with the only customizable options being the livery and the wheels.

As far as the physics engine, PD has redone the physics engine between every game. To assume that the GT7 physics engine won’t be more comprehensive and complex than what we currently have, that just not being aware of how PD operates. Additionally, it would extremely disappointing if a next gen game on a next gen console didn’t improve the physics engine.
Adding an extra camo, weapon or whatever to a character, won't make much of a difference. Imagine an FPS game, that has to load multiple players, multiple weapons, also has to take into account bullet velocity, hit reg, smoke, explosions, helicopters, planes, tanks, destructive environment, etc. Extra customization won't make a dent in the performance compared to this. BF4 had levolution, which was a map changing "event", now that had an hit on performance.

So no, having a new spoiler, new bodykit, etc makes little to no difference. The game has to model the car anyway, with or without custom parts. If the game handles the Tomahawk X, it handles everything else. IF there were mods in the game, then that would make a difference, as your game may not have that content, so it has to load it mid lobby. Liveries could be more troublesome, but even then, they are just 2D drawings, and are likely seen by the game as just a paint.

As for physics, nothing suggests that GT7 being a PS5-only game, it would get a complete overall on the physics department. Improvements? Yes, they can improve without scrapping the older engine. GT will never be a super hardcore Sim anyway, so maybe it doesn't need an overall, instead just small tweaks and improvements.

In any online game, enhanced customization of player avatars always places additional load on the game and servers. In GT, your car is your avatar in an online lobby.

I think you’re also very confused about what customization entails. A Gr 4 Nissan GTR is not a “customized road car GTR”. In terms of the way it is programmed in the game, the Gr4 car is a completely separate model from the road car, with the only customizable options being the livery and the wheels.
Not really, the game will use values to determine what modifications a car has. Say you have a car and you decide to change the rear wing, that's not creating any tangiable additional strain on anything. The engine has to render 1 wing or another. If you're adding a wing to a car that doesn't already have a wing, then you are rendering something extra, but it's no more work than rendering the rear wing on any other car, within reason at least, some wings may have more or less polygones etc. but the impact they will have on rendering the scene will likely be so minor it's reasonable to suggest on a practical level it's non-existant.

In other words you aren't going to have one wing made of 15000 polygons and a custom wing made of 2.5 million of them, they will all be within a fairly consistent band. Ultimately the game has to render something, a car with these wheels or those wheels, this bumper or that one, this exhause or that one etc. Of course, some customiation options may add something to the car, so it's an extra part to render, but in all reasonablness it's not going to tax the system.
As far as the physics engine, PD has redone the physics engine between every game. To assume that the GT7 physics engine won’t be more comprehensive and complex than what we currently have, that just not being aware of how PD operates. Additionally, it would extremely disappointing if a next gen game on a next gen console didn’t improve the physics engine.
If GT7 was PS5 only, then I'd agree with this, but the fact it's cross gen and cross play strongly suggests the physics in the PS5 version will be identical to those in the PS4 version. Therefore, dramatic improvements to GT Sport are unlikely, at least in terms of claculations per second and total varialbles being calcaulted. They can ofcourse tweak what they hae to create a more realistic experience, but this is one area that the PS5 version is likely to be being held back.

I mean, when I get the cheap car instead of the three other million+ cars, might aswell be a russian roulette. It gets me mad, getting the MiTO once again, when literally everything else on that roulete was far better. :lol:

Adding an extra camo, weapon or whatever to a character, won't make much of a difference. Imagine an FPS game, that has to load multiple players, multiple weapons, also has to take into account bullet velocity, hit reg, smoke, explosions, helicopters, planes, tanks, destructive environment, etc. Extra customization won't make a dent in the performance compared to this. BF4 had levolution, which was a map changing "event", now that had an hit on performance.

So no, having a new spoiler, new bodykit, etc makes little to no difference. The game has to model the car anyway, with or without custom parts. If the game handles the Tomahawk X, it handles everything else. IF there were mods in the game, then that would make a difference, as your game may not have that content, so it has to load it mid lobby. Liveries could be more troublesome, but even then, they are just 2D drawings, and are likely seen by the game as just a paint.

As for physics, nothing suggests that GT7 being a PS5-only game, it would get a complete overall on the physics department. Improvements? Yes, they can improve without scrapping the older engine. GT will never be a super hardcore Sim anyway, so maybe it doesn't need an overall, instead just small tweaks and improvements.
Adding camos, skins, charms, etc, does impact online performance. Look at Apex Legends. As more and more players got more and more customized skins and banners, it started to impact game performance, to the point that Respawn had to ask players to turn off animated skins and banner features, until they can find a solution to the problem.

Your example of the Tomahawk isn’t a good one. A Tomahawk is a Tomahawk, it can’t be customized. Yes, it has moving parts, but it’s one baseline model that the game has to render.

Customizing is more than just adding a rear wing. A rear wing is easy, it’s either selected, or not.

Custom wheels, where each player can customize the dimensions of the wheels (not just diameter, but width, offset, etc), the game can’t render a generic wheel model, it has to render each players specific wheel parameters.

The other big one is decals on glass. There’s a reason we can’t do that in GT sport, and it’s not because PD is lazy. It’s far more complicated. You need to be able to see decals on glass from both sides of the glass, you need to be able to see a decal on glass on the other side of the car (ie by looking through the interior), they effect lighting, shadows, and reflections in cockpit view - there’s a hell of a lot more involved that a decal on bodywork.

Lastly, I’m not saying whether or not GT7 needs a new physics engine, or just tweak GT Sport. I’m saying that for every new GT game in the history of the franchise, they have redone the physics engine. There is no indication that they won’t follow the same pattern this time.

Not really, the game will use values to determine what modifications a car has. Say you have a car and you decide to change the rear wing, that's not creating any tangiable additional strain on anything. The engine has to render 1 wing or another. If you're adding a wing to a car that doesn't already have a wing, then you are rendering something extra, but it's no more work than rendering the rear wing on any other car, within reason at least, some wings may have more or less polygones etc. but the impact they will have on rendering the scene will likely be so minor it's reasonable to suggest on a practical level it's non-existant.

In other words you aren't going to have one wing made of 15000 polygons and a custom wing made of 2.5 million of them, they will all be within a fairly consistent band. Ultimately the game has to render something, a car with these wheels or those wheels, this bumper or that one, this exhause or that one etc. Of course, some customiation options may add something to the car, so it's an extra part to render, but in all reasonablness it's not going to tax the system.

If GT7 was PS5 only, then I'd agree with this, but the fact it's cross gen and cross play strongly suggests the physics in the PS5 version will be identical to those in the PS4 version. Therefore, dramatic improvements to GT Sport are unlikely, at least in terms of claculations per second and total varialbles being calcaulted. They can ofcourse tweak what they hae to create a more realistic experience, but this is one area that the PS5 version is likely to be being held back.
I’m just saying, basically every online game I’ve ever played, enhanced customization taxes the system.

Remember, we’re not adding just vehicle customization, we’re adding dynamic weather, time, and track conditions as well.

I have serious doubts that a PS4 will be able handle all these new features, with a full grid of 20 people.

Like you say, you can’t have the two generations operating on different physics models, so the PS5 version would need to be limited by the PS4 capabilities. If that ends up being the case, that is a catastrophic let-down.

If lobby sizes don’t increase beyond 20 players, that is a massive letdown. For comparison, BF4 on PS4 had double the player count as BF4 on PS3; and now BF2042 on PS5 has double the player count as BF2042 on PS4. GT7 doesn’t need double, but 26-30 people per lobby would be great. I doubt a PS4 can handle more people, certainly not with dynamic effects and heavily customized cars.

Since lobbies will be P2P, we’re going to have PS5 players joining lobbies hosted on PS4 systems. That’s….not going to go well, I’d bet on it.

I‘ll interject what Ian Bell said about the more taxing thing, for multiplayer, are rendering player made liveries, in PC2 for consoles. Thats why there aren’t any. Same reason why some players are upset about photomode in Sport Mode. The low-res graphics don’t look good to them.

I‘ll interject what Ian Bell said about the more taxing thing, for multiplayer, are rendering player made liveries, in PC2 for consoles. Thats why there aren’t any. Same reason why some players are upset about photomode in Sport Mode. The low-res graphics don’t look good to them.
A lot depends on how the custom liveries are saved. Because they tend to be editible in layers a custom livery can use a lot more RAM than say a simple texture wrap where decals are part of the same texture layer as the body colour etc. Tha said, a lot of games manage custom liveries without causing noticable hits in performance.

Ian Bell may have struggled with this, but Polyphony and Turn 10 have been managing this without issue, as have Codemasters and other developers. But yes, a custom livery can use more RAM as they're usualy saved in many more layers than an uneditible livery would need to be.

Last edited:
Why is everybody thinking about gridsize?Why not just have fun then gt7 is going on market?And if all just want to run over "normal" people the gt7 isn't for you folk's.Liverys?The meaning of 100.000+ cars with the same decal-scheme doesn't look fun at all (oh,look another toyota or what other brand with the same decal...fun(not)). Just a swede venting his mind:) I know that i'm a turd in the toiletbow but i just don't care much.So maybe someone think's i might be right but mostley not. That's how i roll

Last edited:
Why is everybody thinking about gridsize?Why not just have fun then gt7 is going on market?And if all just want to run over "normal" people the gt7 isn't for you folk's.Liverys?The meaning of 100.000+ cars with the same decal-scheme doesn't look fun at all (oh,look another toyota or what other brand with the same decal...fun(not)). Just a swede venting his mind:) I know that i'm a turd in the toiletbow but i just don't care much.So maybe someone think's i might be right but mostley not. That's how i roll
Not sure you're a turd in the toiletbow but I can't say I'm sure what anything you said means either :lol:.

Not sure you're a turd in the toiletbow but I can't say I'm sure what anything you said means either :lol:.
What i've seen so far on comments on the trailers it's all about livery,gridsize,on-line playabillity,new cars and not much more.That's why i vented my mind.When did people got tired of just play a game for fun?Some of us just want to play for fun and doesn't care much of all the so called "game-pro's".If they want to drive for fame then get into real life racing and don't puke on the people who play a game for fun. Just a thougt

Last edited:
What i've seen so far on comments on the trailers it's all about livery,gridsize,on-line playabillity,new cars and not much more.That's why i vented my mind.When did people got tired of just play a game for fun?Some of us just want to play for fun and doesn't care much of all the so called "game-pro's".If they want to drive for fame then get into real life racing and don't puke on the people who play a game for fun. Just a thougt
None of what you listed has to do with being a game pro. All those do add to the fun for other people though and would either not change anything you're doing, or only be a positive for you.

Better livery editor = more variety = more fun
Bigger grid size = more racing opportunities = more fun
New cars = more fun
Better online play = more fun for many people

Why is everybody thinking about gridsize?
Because grid size is important,i belliave the AI is a bigger issue but thats a different discussion.
Liverys? The meaning of 100.000+ cars with the same decal-scheme doesn't look fun at all (oh,look another toyota or what other brand with the same decal...fun(not)).
It can get boring but it dosen't effect you so.
When did people got tired of just play a game for fun?
Thats not how things work,i am going to have fun with GT7 but you bet im going to complain about the rubbish car audio because thats how things get better.
Some of us just want to play for fun
Do it, no one is stopping you.
so called "game-pro's"
No need to be disrespectful.
If they want to drive for fame then get into real life racing and don't puke on the people who play a game for fun.
Who did that? if anything the opposite happens.

Last edited:
There's a slight change on the logo as well, I liked it!

DEEP FOREST LOFO.jpg

Been long enough that these will seem fresh again, Im delighted to have more tarmac. What I really hope for though, is brand new original tracks the new additions to GTS were decent!

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Deep Forest Confirmed to Return to Gran Turismo 7

The official Gran Turismo social media accounts have now confirmed that the classic original Gran Turismo Deep Forest Raceway will be returning to the series with Gran Turismo 7...
Forget deep forest: more real tracks as these imaginary tracks are super artificial

Back