New Gran Turismo 7 "Starting Line" Trailer Reveals More New & Returning Cars

• Thread starter Famine
  • 608 comments
At 50 seconds you can see people walking around in the stands and climbing the stairs. I don't think this was in Gtsport but when I'm watching my replays my eyes are usually on my car.

You can see the differences in the suspension model by watching the videos. If they are modeling it visually that same data will be applied to the physics.
What you see isn't always what you get.

You can see the differences in the suspension model by watching the videos. If they are modeling it visually that same data will be applied to the physics.
I mean, if you applied this logic to brakes they'd have brake fade. The temperature of the brakes are modelled, they use it to determine when the brake rotors glow and how bright. We can see it. But that data isn't used in the physics system, it's visual only.

Just because something appears visually doesn't necessarily mean that Polyphony has chosen to link it into the physics system. In fact, until proven otherwise it's safer to assume that it's not part of the physics system based on what they've chosen to do in the past.

I mean, if you applied this logic to brakes they'd have brake fade. The temperature of the brakes are modelled, they use it to determine when the brake rotors glow and how bright. We can see it. But that data isn't used in the physics system, it's visual only.

Just because something appears visually doesn't necessarily mean that Polyphony has chosen to link it into the physics system. In fact, until proven otherwise it's safer to assume that it's not part of the physics system based on what they've chosen to do in the past.

Brake fade could easily have been left out because they tried it and it wasn't fun or confused players. Accurately modeling the cornering, acceleration and other physical properties of the car's motion are central to what we call physics.

Brake fade could easily have been left out because they tried it and it wasn't fun or confused players. Accurately modeling the cornering, acceleration and other physical properties of the car's motion are central to what we call physics.
Brakes aren't important to accurately modelling the physical properties of a car? Huh. Are you one of those players that just bounces off walls to get around corners? Because the way I see it the brakes are about as important as the engine, they're both highly involved in how the car speeds up and slows down which is where about half the gameplay is.

As far as tyre deformation goes, apparently it hasn't been that critical to the physics for GT1 through GT6. Is it linked to the physics in GTS? I don't know. If it isn't though, I don't see why it would be for GT7. There's plenty of "minor" physical things that Polyphony doesn't model for whatever reason. It's a simcade, not a full on simulation. As you say, maybe they tried these things and found that they weren't fun or were confusing. I could certainly see that for tyre deformation, it's much more complex than variable tyre pressure and they don't model that.

They also do things in the opposite manner. Other than open wheel cars they don't graphically model suspension movement. As in, there is no shock and spring moving visually. But clearly it's applied in the physics and causes the car to pitch and roll.

Up to the PS3 era they didn't even model the inside of wheels, as was evident when you rolled a car. Nor did they model the underside of cars for aero purposes.

maxresdefault.jpg

Point is, the visual modelling and physics modelling actually rarely link together directly. Animations are animations.

Last edited:
Back