New Hanoi Circuit Revealed for 2020 Formula One Vietnam Grand Prix

That circuit is really fit for F1, very wide road width for overtaking and has a a cool challenge. My only concern is that all of the proposed Liberty Media-era street circuits follow a design formula to have these overextending dual carriageway roads to serve as a high-speed straight and complex u-turn roundabout. That was a highly mocked point about the proposed Miami street circuit with it's bay bridge extension.

For example in Gran Turismo 5, the Madrid city circuit incorporated this idea in its full 'GP' layout of the track. The final section extends to a roundabout. It flowed nicely and it was medium at length so it wasn't purposely designed to be an 'overtaking' section. Miami's proposed F1 circuit was shoved-in instead just so the race goes along a bridge and therefore is attractive to fans.

Another race where it needs a safety car for good racing. How about lowering the cost to host European races and bring Nurb GP back?
Out of the 21 races on the F1 schedule 10 of them are already in Europe including Hockenheim..

I actually like it. Ridiculously long straights into slow corners perfect for overtaking. Some fast, medium corners. That whindy bit in the middle.

Out of the 21 races on the F1 schedule 10 of them are already in Europe including Hockenheim..
I probably should’ve reworded that.

My original intent with this statement was there’s so many better tracks that could be added to the calendar, but instead they add these terrible street circuits. It seems like a step in the wrong direction, not to mention the controversy with silverstone and FOM certainly doesn’t help either.

Looks decent, all the high speed straights are right after each other, so will have a decent opportunity for overtaking. Unlike Austin on which has squiggly bits between its two major straight to separate the cars. For an F1 track i think this one may work nicely

It looks like...almost every other modern F1 track. I wish I could say that's a good thing. It's all for naught if they can't figure out how to make the racing better. However, if this takes the place of another boring track, I can't complain about some new scenery.

Despite the fact it's produced some great races?
It only did so because of weird stuff happening :D I don‘t know, I just don‘t like it and think there would be more actual race tracks to choose from that could create better racing

It only did so because of weird stuff happening :D I don‘t know, I just don‘t like it and think there would be more actual race tracks to choose from that could create better racing
What would those actual race tracks be?

There are very few circuits in the world that would either suit an F1 car, or that F1 hasn’t already been to. Most classic circuits that people like are way to small for modern F1 cars, races would be like Monaco. And the modern circuits that F1 has been to, everyone hates those circuits because they’re terrible Tilke-droms.

So aside from Turkey, what circuits are there that are “good”, and would produce equally good racing?

So aside from Turkey, what circuits are there that are “good”, and would produce equally good racing?
Fuji, Nürburgring, Magny-Cours, Portimao, Imola, Jerez or Sepang just to name a few.

The problem with Tilke tracks are their hideous runoff-areas where a mistake isn‘t punished instantly.

Here's a video of a lap of the track.

Damn that's fast. Gotta love the sim modding community 👍

The first part of the track looks cookie cutter but the esses before the end looks pretty fun to drive. Unfortunately it won't be conducive to close following with current aero regs. Also you can just imagine if someone wipes out on the first lap while the cars are closely bunched it will take out half the grid due to the high speeds, blind corners and nowhere to go...

I can imagine this will run for 2 years max then be pulled.

They should stop holding these races in emerging countries because the local population usually cannot afford the overpriced tickets. Also F1 usually overestimates the interest in motorsport in some of these countries and few people actually care about a race being held there.

Fuji, Nürburgring, Magny-Cours, Portimao, Imola, Jerez or Sepang just to name a few.

The problem with Tilke tracks are their hideous runoff-areas where a mistake isn‘t punished instantly.
Fuji won’t happen because Honda owns Suzuka, and Toyota owns Fuji.

Nurburgring, Magny Cours, Imola, and Jerez would be extremely processional, the same as Barcelona or Hungary.

Sepang I’ll give you, that’s a fantastic track. So I suppose I’d trade this new circuit for Sepang, but I’m still willing to give this new one a shot.

I don't care what the organisers or government say, it's the Vietnamese Grand Prix or Grand Prix of Vietnam.

Insist on calling it the Grand Prix of Vietnam if you want but rewriting basic grammar for marketing purposes makes my skin crawl and organs fail.

I don't care what the organisers or government say, it's the Vietnamese Grand Prix or Grand Prix of Vietnam.

Insist on calling it the Grand Prix of Vietnam if you want but rewriting basic grammar for marketing purposes makes my skin crawl and organs fail.

It's a strange one - as I understand it Vietnamese is the Anglicisation of the adjective, in Vietnam (English) the country is called Viet Nam and something from there is also described as Viet Nam. We've got a few regulars around here from that neck of the woods... is that right or is my aged memory failing once again?

It's a strange one - as I understand it Vietnamese is the Anglicisation of the adjective, in Vietnam (English) the country is called Viet Nam and something from there is also described as Viet Nam. We've got a few regulars around here from that neck of the woods... is that right or is my aged memory failing once again?

Grand Prix Của Việt Nam (Google T) is fine... in their own language.

Otherwise we might as well have the Deutschland Grand Prix or the Italia Grand Prix.

Trivial things matter. :indiff:

Otherwise we might as well have the Deutschland Grand Prix or the Italia Grand Prix.

Trivial things matter. :indiff:
Well, it is the Grande Premio d'Italia and the Grosser Preis von Deutschland officially, it just gets Anglicised for the English Speaking market. I'm sure it gets changed on French speaking TV and Spanish speaking etc.

But, there'll be a reason. Remember how in 2011 it changed from the Malaysian Grand Prix to Malaysia Grand Prix for the tourist board wanting to promote the country better.

In the spirit of Magyar Nagydíj, surely it should be "Giải Thưởng Lớn Của Việt Nam" :lol:

Back