New Le Mans 24h game soon?

• Thread starter Hun200kmh
  • 32 comments
Well, that explains why people were commenting over the weekend that iRacing wasn't allowed to use the Le Mans name (maybe the whole name, maybe just the LM24 name).

Doesn't bode well for any other games planned to feature Le Mans, like GT7...

Edit: Ick. Ten-year exclusive licence to make endurance racing games based on LM24 and WEC. Hopefully this doesn't mean lots of other games losing the tracks (unlikely, other than LM) and cars (more likely), but we'll see.

Last edited:
Well, that explains why people were commenting over the weekend that iRacing wasn't allowed to use the Le Mans name (maybe the whole name, maybe just the LM24 name).

Though personally I don't think this will affect licensing for Circuit de la Sarthe in general.

As i

As it's MotorsportGames behind this one (as well as the upcoming BTCC title), any chance of another interview to get so more details?

Wonder if it will be the same new studio doing the BTCC game or if it will be another studio or purchased Ip or something. Couldn't see any mention in the article.

While I'm happy we may finally see another dedicated Le Mans game, I'm not happy about it being an exclusive license. The fact it's a studio/publisher that has thus far only released a somewhat-decent NASCAR game doesn't fill me with much hope either.

I guess this is one more reason to hope IMSA allows hypercars as well since that seems like it will be a must for us to get those cars in other games.

While I'm happy we may finally see another dedicated Le Mans game, I'm not happy about it being an exclusive license. The fact it's a studio/publisher that has thus far only released a somewhat-decent NASCAR game doesn't fill me with much hope either.

I guess this is one more reason to hope IMSA allows hypercars as well since that seems like it will be a must for us to get those cars in other games.

Haven't seen anywhere to suggest it's the same studio whO do NASCAR. Motorsport games are clearly trying to build their own studios as well like they've done for the BTCC game so they may well do the same for Le Mans. I don't mind it being an exclusive license as most licenses these days are.

Happy to have a dedicated game, but exclusive licenses are the bane of sim racing so hopefully other games can still have La Sarthe and the cars, just not use the "Le Mans" name.

Honestly they are better off integrating this as a DLC pack into one of the existing sims. Less development cost, proven physics and the fanbase is already established.

Haven't seen anywhere to suggest it's the same studio whO do NASCAR. Motorsport games are clearly trying to build their own studios as well like they've done for the BTCC game so they may well do the same for Le Mans.

I’m well aware it may be a different studio making the game. My point was we really don’t have much to go off of to predict the quality of the game.

I don't mind it being an exclusive license as most licenses these days are.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn’t make it ok. It’s still a very anti-consumer practice and I honestly question the motives of anyone that actually supports such a practice.

I’m well aware it may be a different studio making the game. My point was we really don’t have much to go off of to predict the quality of the game.

Just because everyone is doing it doesn’t make it ok. It’s still a very anti-consumer practice and I honestly question the motives of anyone that actually supports such a practice.

Unfortunately you have gamers who love defending corporate interests when it hurts them too. Its madness at its best.

If this licence leads to losing lemans and its cars all can now I say is **** exclusive licences. This licence will also most likely make racing games not get the hypercar category what a shame if this is true.

When it comes to exclusive licences the only thing it does is that the ones who hold it most likely just sit on it while raking in the money.

Just like how PD holds the licence for Pikes Peak and it is just sitting on it.

Last edited:
Project CARS 3 just lost Le Mans after 2019 (including branding on the cars), and we haven't seen any other racing game after 2019 that has not included Le Mans other than in games it's already been in before, i.e iRacing and such.

It seems like a S397 function with them being the sole holder of the name for the official virtual 24h. Which is a shame, S397 is handling rF2 quite poorly and it's in a much worse state than before with ISI imo, worse AI, worse performance and a complete laser focus on multiplayer with still no championship single player option.

If GT7 doesn't have it, we probably know why, or Forza even. Forza and Microsoft had huge advertising rights at the real race, so we'll see...

Last edited:

Not sure about anti consumer. If they acquired the license and was platform exclusive from it maybe. I would say the F1 series or WRC series are anti consumer. Both are exclusive licenses.

As for the studio, you're right we don't know. But it's safe to say that if they're of the same quality as the NASCAR games then they're dead already. However, we know the BTCC game and Motorsport Games generally are moving away from Unity engine so that's a positive move snd gives hope for a better engine and therefore game.

Project CARS 3 just lost Le Mans after 2019 (including branding on the cars), and we haven't seen any other racing game after 2019 that has not included Le Mans other than in games it's already been in before, i.e iRacing and such.

It seems like a S397 function with them being the sole holder of the name for the official virtual 24h. Which is a shame, S397 is handling rF2 quite poorly and it's in a much worse state than before with ISI imo, worse AI, worse performance and a complete laser focus on multiplayer with still no championship single player option.

If GT7 doesn't have it, we probably know why, or Forza even. Forza and Microsoft had huge advertising rights at the real race, so we'll see...

If so what makes these guys think im gonna play their crappy ass game.

I guess PD might just go with a ficitionalised version by this rate.

If so what makes these guys think im gonna play their crappy ass game.

I guess PD might just go with a ficitionalised version by this rate.

Well I mean we known nothing about the game so 'crappy ass' is completely unknown.

Well I mean we known nothing about the game so 'crappy ass' is completely unknown.

Well there nascar games are pretty average.

If we lost the cars and the track itself all I can say is shame. Honestly this whole exclusive licence crap is ruining racing games.

If "exclusive" means no other game can feature the track then yes it is a bad thing for gamers.

However ... I have been longing for nearly 20 years to once again have a game that simulates the 24 hours of Le Mans with greater accuracy than what we've been having. Something like the old PS2 LM24H game but with current gen graphics and physics. Meaning ... cars from the real lineup (that old game was based on the 1999 and 2000 lineups, you had the last winning BMW and the first winning Audi R8) and a recreation of endurance racing (in that game featuring not only Le Mans but also Petit Le Mans).

If I get that from this "exclusive" game and still have the track featured in other games with a few LMPs and GTs to race on them I'm good, and definitely better than with what I have got these last two decades.

Turn 10 has proven quite resourceful at getting content others can't over the years (meaning: they have the necessary bucketloads of cash to throw at the problem at hand) so if anyone can, it's them.

I like the idea of titles focusing a bit more, as I believe single series games better capture the nuances of various categories than the more all-encompassing ones. However, this exclusive rights nonsense, especially with the categories involved here, is pure garbage and I sincerely hope it doesn't come to pass. I find it extremely unlikely that any of these titles holding the licenses would suffer many (or any) lost sales if there were no exclusives as fans of a particular series are going to buy it and those who are not, won't anyway.

If "exclusive" means no other game can feature the track then yes it is a bad thing for gamers.

However ... I have been longing for nearly 20 years to once again have a game that simulates the 24 hours of Le Mans with greater accuracy than what we've been having. Something like the old PS2 LM24H game but with current gen graphics and physics. Meaning ... cars from the real lineup (that old game was based on the 1999 and 2000 lineups, you had the last winning BMW and the first winning Audi R8) and a recreation of endurance racing (in that game featuring not only Le Mans but also Petit Le Mans).

If I get that from this "exclusive" game and still have the track featured in other games with a few LMPs and GTs to race on them I'm good, and definitely better than with what I have got these last two decades.

Why does it have to be exclusive after the porsche debacle i thought these developers and publishers would learn.

By this rate what is the point in playing racing games when the stuff you want gets locked because of exclusive licensing ******** which will most likely get sit on.

Vrally and dirt 2.0 missed out on pikes peak due to sony. In the future we may get Assetto Corsa 2 and if we miss out on Circuit de la Sarthe all I can say is shame.

Also GT7 is coming and if Circuit de la sarthe does not make the cut all I can say is nost fans are going to be pissed off and a uproar is going to happen.

Last edited:
So we agree. IF the exclusive agreement means no more La Sarthe in generic "catch all" racing games we all lose. IF it doesn't mean that we all win

I don't mind it being an exclusive license as most licenses these days are.
If you think about the exclusive license and how it can eliminate competition and ruin a games genre overall then all you need to look at is NFL football and EA sports to see how a monopoly on a franchise can hurt the gamer's end product over time.

On the other hand ACC to me has proven that focusing on a single racing series at a time can really do wonders to how good and competitive the racing within a game can be and how it allows the smaller things to be focused on that really take a game from being good to even excellent.
On a single player level the AI is one of the best on the market currently and I would like to see ACC continue to branch out and add other series cars and tracks via DLC to their game package.

I do know a British pack is supposed to be coming and personally I can only continue to hope for an IMSA package that includes all the North America tracks.
Also ACC can go back and later add in "historic era" classes/series of cars like late 60's- early 70's Le Mans cars such as the iconic Porsches, Ferrari's and Chaparrals of the day or the same era North American Trans AM cars such as the Mustangs, Camaro's, Challengers and Javelins of those series as well.
By focusing on one series and one era at a time the cars and Bop levels can all be like the current GT cars in ACC which in my opinion is excellent both varied in feel but equal in overall performance as compared to each other.

So a company focusing on one thing can be good as we have seen but yet having an exclusive monopoly and no competition within a sport can also have its detrimental effects as well as we have seen in some areas as well.

Now the ultimate game would have,
Gran Turismo doing the graphics/detail and in game car graphics/painting shop.
ACC doing the physics, AI and BOP, car tuning and the racing classes/series except for Nascar.
Gran Turismo and ACC combining to develop the offline racing campaign and or offline content.
iracing doing the online competition leagues and racing events, driver ratings and classifications along with the Nascar portion of the racing classes/series. Also iracing handling the vr implementation.
All 3 studios opening up their catalog of tracks and each contributing and working together to make these tracks available in game.
Now this could be the ULTIMATE finished product that could please everyone and a game that I would gladly purchase Ala cart buying the series or classes that I wanted and not those that I would never use.
I know wish in one hand and ______ in the other and see what fills up first.

Last edited:
Now the ultimate game would have,
ACC doing the physics, AI and BOP, car tuning and the racing classes/series except for Nascar.
Gran Turismo and ACC combining to develop the offline racing campaign and or offline content.
iracing doing the online competition leagues and racing events, driver ratings and classifications along with the Nascar portion of the racing classes/series. Also iracing handling the vr implementation.
All 3 studios opening up their catalog of tracks and each contributing and working together to make these tracks available in game.
Now this could be the ULTIMATE finished product that could please everyone and a game that I would gladly purchase Ala cart buying the series or classes that I wanted and not those that I would never use.
I know wish in one hand and ______ in the other and see what fills up first.
Now some of this I agree with and some would be a wrong step in my view.

If we are going full-on fantasy team-up sim here, then let's get serious about it.

The livery editor I would agree with, particularly if they worked with T10 and combined the best of both, but the graphics and visuals? Honestly, ACC and modded AC are both capable of looking better than GTS. Add in Reiza AMS2 and AC/ACC's wet weather work and you are onto a winner.

Not bad, but we can do better. Lets combine the talents of the ACC, RFactor 2 and Reiza teams for physics (and make sure a certain Mr Heusinkveld is involved)
AI and BoP, that 100% got to be left to the team at R3E, who also get to do the audio.

No, in so many ways no. PD have not made a coherent single-player mode in, well arguably ever. It's the same with Kunos and AC/ACC. Neither comes close to offering the kind of depth and involvement in a racing titles single player that Codemasters have managed with the F1 series and Nacon with the WRC series, hell even the people that did PCars 1 and 2 would be better than letting PD anywhere near it.

Now combine that little lot, particularly as the Reiza and R3E teams will also bring tracks that no-one else has, and you get a lot closer to the ultimate sim.

Last edited:

I'm guessing if nothing else, GT7 will still get the new Toyota Hypercar, because of their close association (and similar to how they skirted the F1 license by licensing the Ferrari F2007 and F10 directly).

Now some of this I agree with and some would be a wrong step in my view.

If we are going full-on fantasy team-up sim here, then let's get serious about it.

The livery editor I would agree with, particularly if they worked with T10 and combined the best of both, but the graphics and visuals? Honestly, ACC and modded AC are both capable of looking better than GTS. Add in Reiza AMS2 and AC/ACC's wet weather work and you are onto a winner.

Not bad, but we can do better. Lets combine the talents of the ACC, RFactor 2 and Reiza teams for physics (and make sure a certain Mr Heusinkveld is involved)
AI and BoP, that 100% got to be left to the team at R3E, who also get to do the audio.

No, in so many ways no. PD have not made a coherent single-player mode in, well arguably ever. It's the same with Kunos and AC/ACC. Neither comes close to offering the kind of depth and involvement in a racing titles single player that Codemasters have managed with the F1 series and Nacon with the WRC series, hell even the people that did PCars 1 and 2 would be better than letting PD anywhere near it.

Now combine that little lot, particularly as the Reiza and R3E teams will also bring tracks that no-one else has, and you get a lot closer to the ultimate sim.

Add to that:
- Driveclub dynamic weather system
- NFS visual customization
- BeamNG/Wreckfest damage
- EA F1 2002 full telemetry system
- AC/ISImotor moddability
- RBR/WRC off road physics + Sega Rally Revo track deformation
- Extra physics input from LFS and Enthusia devs (maybe even Geoff Crammond for the open wheelers)
- Microsoft budget
- Final bonus: procedural open world generator from FUEL (because sometimes, you want to get off the circuit and just drive)

Imagine also, if all car manufacturers and track owners are required to submit a CAD/laser scan data of their product to a central database. For a small fee, every developer can get a copy for use as they see fit. No need for licensing legal wrangling or wasting time remodelling the same car/track for different games. They can just focus on physics and other features. In the long future, when we are all driven around in soulless autonomous electric cars, sim racing will be the only place we can enjoy the glory days of ICE motorsport. How amazing would it be to have everything preserved perfectly in the digital world? :D

Last edited:
Not sure about anti consumer. If they acquired the license and was platform exclusive from it maybe. I would say the F1 series or WRC series are anti consumer. Both are exclusive licenses.

As for the studio, you're right we don't know. But it's safe to say that if they're of the same quality as the NASCAR games then they're dead already. However, we know the BTCC game and Motorsport Games generally are moving away from Unity engine so that's a positive move snd gives hope for a better engine and therefore game.
704 and Monster Games made the nascar heat series games . Last year , 704 and Monster games split and Motorsport aquired 704 , and now here we are .

704 and Monster Games made the nascar heat series games . Last year , 704 and Monster games split and Motorsport aquired 704 , and now here we are .

Indeed. They've also bought Studio 397 (as linked above) with the Le Mans and BTCC games in mind. So yeah, as I said, no way 704 will be doing anything with this.

Edit: Ick. Ten-year exclusive licence to make endurance racing games based on LM24 and WEC. Hopefully this doesn't mean lots of other games losing the tracks (unlikely, other than LM) and cars (more likely), but we'll see.

Dedicated racing series games ruin the buffet type games I like the most.. Put a F1 in FORZA or Pcars 2 and I am the happiest even if it is only 1 of the series/car/models in the game. It won't have all the official tracks either but there are plenty of tracks. Bottom line is I like going from F1 to supercar to something else within the same game. I also Don't want cars/tracks locked out due to licensing issues.

MotorsportGamesRoadmap.JPG

Le Mans videogame Early Access on PC at 2022 and 2023 on consoles.
https://ir.motorsportgames.com/static-files/9c784916-e370-47eb-8665-9ef902e0a972

Last edited:
Back