Newly installed bridge collapses at Florida University

The same company that designed this bridge also designed the two bridges below. I would assume the most likely suspect is defective building materials or faulty installation.

o-BOSTON-facebook.jpg

sunshine-skyway-at-dusk-ii-daniel-woodrum.jpg

The same company that designed this bridge also designed the two bridges below. I would assume the most likely suspect is defective building materials or faulty installation.

The "Accelerated Bridge Construction" methods being used have caused some controversy in the engineering industry. I suspect the methods will now be thoroughly reviewed for fitness. Basically the bridge was a work-in-progress above a busy freeway, with work expected to continue into 2019. It's evident that the time saved by using these methods now means absolutely nothing.

Mrs. Ten thinks the bridge dropped at the end nearest OP's picture with a secondary "settling" fracture further along. I daren't disagree.

The "Accelerated Bridge Construction" methods being used have caused some controversy in the engineering industry. I suspect the methods will now be thoroughly reviewed for fitness. Basically the bridge was a work-in-progress above a busy freeway, with work expected to continue into 2019. It's evident that the time saved by using these methods now means absolutely nothing.

Mrs. Ten thinks the bridge dropped at the end nearest OP's picture with a secondary "settling" fracture further along. I daren't disagree.
So they should have finished it first?
I smell lawsuits...
RIP to the people who lost their lives so a contractor could make a bonus.

Very sad that 4 people died like this. Probably more.

The Pontiac Silverdome didn't even flinch during its implosion because it was built "too well" and this is a bridge collapsing before it's even finished.

I know there's no direct relevance between the two structures but it wouldn't be the first project to be built to a budget.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/death-toll-florida-bridge-collapse-climbs/story?id=53791946

At least one FIU student is among the dead after the bridge crumbled Thursday onto the cars below, officials said today.

Authorities have reclassified their mission from search-and-rescue to a recovery effort, saying that anyone trapped under the wreckage is likely dead.

Six people have died from the collapse of a newly installed pedestrian bridge on Florida International University's Miami campus, and the number of fatalities is expected to rise as crews work to recover the missing, authorities say.

Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., tweeted Thursday that the cables that suspended the bridge "had loosened & the engineering firm ordered that they be tightened. They were being tightened when it collapsed."

Rubio, who described the incident as "troubling and tragic," said the bridge was constructed for safety after a student died last year crossing that intersection.

FIU is one of the 10 largest universities in the country, with nearly 54,000 students enrolled, according to its website.

My favorite Canuck has made a couple of videos birth on the construction practices used andc what he assumes to have been the most likely cause for the collapse.

My favorite Canuck has made a couple of videos birth on the construction practices used andc what he assumes to have been the most likely cause for the collapse.

It's interesting but his conclusion is blindingly obvious: it wasn't designed properly and/or it wasn't constructed properly, tldr somebody ****ed up.

His point about the missing tension cables from the column doesn't take into account that a couple of hundred tons of glass and steel walling aren't on the bridge at the time of collapse. The idea with ABC is that each piece is engineered in its own phase - certainly the intention would have been for this section to be strong enough for this phase. So yeah, bad design or construction. And a **** up.

As an interesting aside, how Glaswegian is his pronunciation of "situation"? :D

It's interesting but his conclusion is blindingly obvious: it wasn't designed properly and/or it wasn't constructed properly, tldr somebody ****ed up.

Perhaps. But some of us like to look into situations like this further to learn what exactly was done wrong. It's not always obvious, and for engineers or people like me that work closely with engineers it's useful to analyse why someone else's design went wrong. Better than analysing your own design after you have a failure.

Hell, even in my own field I'll look for accidents in industries similar to the one I work in so that I can avoid the same mistakes that someone else made. That's just good practice. AvE caters to those of us who want to understand a little more than "someone dun goofed". He's also a funny muddy forker.

Perhaps. But some of us like to look into situations like this further to learn what exactly was done wrong.

Me too, and my comment wasn't a reflection on any of his other work (I haven't seen it). It was just a long video that didn't have any conclusions beyond (as I said) two options, options that are blindingly obvious to most people regardless of any interest or aptitude in engineering: it was built wrong or designed wrong.

Me too, and my comment wasn't a reflection on any of his other work (I haven't seen it). It was just a long video that didn't have any conclusions beyond (as I said) two options, options that are blindingly obvious to most people regardless of any interest or aptitude in engineering: it was built wrong or designed wrong.

And as I was trying to point out; the conclusions aren't the point. The ability to figure out what went wrong and the specifics of what went wrong are. The discussion of the finer points of the interplay of concrete and steel material properties are probably interesting to people not well versed in them. The idea that structures almost always undergo significant design changes during construction is probably news to many non-engineers, and the importance of taking your time to redo all the calculations and reprove your safety factors is lost even on many qualified engineers.

When time is short and cost is a factor it's a lot easier to eyeball something and call it good than send everyone home for the day while you do math. It happens more than you'd think, mostly because most of the time the original designed safety factors are sufficient to deal with it. But this was worse, we know that at least one major crack was noted and as AvE points out the fact that all materials have some level of elasticity means that there will have been other signs that the bridge was stressed near failure to a trained observer.

That the lead engineer noted a crack and dismissed it is a huge red flag. It's possible to have concrete cracking without structural problems, but I'd love to see the presentation that was delivered to convince the other managers that it wasn't an issue. Not to mention that having the road open underneath while performing tensioning is asking for trouble, if there's going to be a failure it's going to be when you're stressing the structure. Closing the road for a few hours or even a day or two is not a massive deal. And ideally you'd want to have the tensioning done to a distance rather than to a load, that way it shows up if your steel or any other part of the structure is faulty if you can't reach the prescribed load within the allowable tensioning distance.

See, I feel like the videos raised a lot of interesting things to consider. I'm not sure how you only manage to take away that someone messed up. It's not about the end point but the journey, we already know someone messed up before clicking the link. I feel like AvE did a decent job of discussing what might have gone wrong based on the information available, why those particular things are a problem and what reasoning he used to come to those conclusions.

That the bridge was built wrong or designed wrong was a given from the moment it fell over, what is interesting is looking into how it was built or designed wrong. Perhaps that's not of interest to you and therefore all you see in the video is what feels like a very obvious conclusion. All I can do is assure you that people who do scientific or engineering work that has the potential to injure or kill people get very into this sort of stuff.

Hell, as someone who was very, very lucky not to have anyone injured as a result of one of my scientific misjudgements barely a month ago, I take this sort of thing incredibly seriously. That incident scared the bejeesus out of me, because I could have accidentally killed up to four people. It would have been extremely unlikely, but totally possible. These are people that I work with, know and like. :censored:ing terrifying. I didn't sleep for a couple of days after that thinking of all the things I did wrong.

This is part of engineering, if you get stuff wrong then people can die. And so it's good to look at incidents like this bridge collapse and start treating it as though it were one of your own projects. What went wrong? How should you have prevented that in hindsight? Were there opportunities to see this coming? Can you go through every choice that you made in design and justify it?

That's how I look at those videos, but I suspect I'm in a minority. Most people don't build things that have real potential to injure or kill.

Better start using a more tighter factor of safety...

Meh. Just calculate the safety factors correctly to start with and redo them properly when design changes are made. Using a safety factor of 8 instead of 4 doesn't make a design any safer if the only reason you're using 8 is to account for people that aren't doing their calculations properly. Safety factors are there to account for variation in materials and load in normal usage. They still assume that the structure was built more or less as designed, and so if the structure is not you might as well throw the entire safety factor out the window.

The Hyatt Regency collapse is a decent example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

Ignoring the fact that the thing was pretty poorly designed from the outset, a design change made the whole thing into a teetering Jenga tower ready to fall at the slightest provocation. This because the designer never really finished the initial design, then approved changes during construction without any attempt to evaluate the effect of those changes.

You'd need a safety factor of like 20 simply to account for that sort of incompetence. If you try to apply that to everyone, at that point you're pretty much requiring all engineers to be incompetent in order to get a project under cost. A good engineer that does his designs and calculations correctly doesn't need overblown safety factors to protect from incompetence, it's assumed that someone designing this sort of stuff should be a.) competent and b.) smart enough to have another competent colleague double check their work.

If not, we can all hope that someone notices that they're an idiot before they get far enough to build something like the Hyatt Regency walkway or the FIU bridge. Unfortunately, there's always a few that slip past.

There's at least one more option and that is, not installed according to instructions. It may have been properly designed and constructed but in a project like this, if you don't follow the installation protocols correctly you could damage the structure before it's even in place.

Meh. Just calculate the safety factors correctly to start with and redo them properly when design changes are made. Using a safety factor of 8 instead of 4 doesn't make a design any safer if the only reason you're using 8 is to account for people that aren't doing their calculations properly. Safety factors are there to account for variation in materials and load in normal usage. They still assume that the structure was built more or less as designed, and so if the structure is not you might as well throw the entire safety factor out the window.

The Hyatt Regency collapse is a decent example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Regency_walkway_collapse

Ignoring the fact that the thing was pretty poorly designed from the outset, a design change made the whole thing into a teetering Jenga tower ready to fall at the slightest provocation. This because the designer never really finished the initial design, then approved changes during construction without any attempt to evaluate the effect of those changes.

You'd need a safety factor of like 20 simply to account for that sort of incompetence. If you try to apply that to everyone, at that point you're pretty much requiring all engineers to be incompetent in order to get a project under cost. A good engineer that does his designs and calculations correctly doesn't need overblown safety factors to protect from incompetence, it's assumed that someone designing this sort of stuff should be a.) competent and b.) smart enough to have another competent colleague double check their work.

If not, we can all hope that someone notices that they're an idiot before they get far enough to build something like the Hyatt Regency walkway or the FIU bridge. Unfortunately, there's always a few that slip past.

Ideally I'd agree, but considering there are only few engineering discipline that use smaller FoS, I'd imagine if it were tighter here then perhaps when an error occurs that isn't seen, disaster still has to potential to be adverted. Though that is obvious wishful thinking. I feel if the margin of safety and factor of safety are quite strict you have less possibility to run into trouble, however, there are codes and regs to follow and if it allows for those variances then they will be used, thus it falls on design and as you put it calculations being right.

I feel this is a simple beam problem any second/third year student would solve and could tell you possible reasons it failed.

There's at least one more option and that is, not installed according to instructions.

Very true. I sort-of meant that in "not built properly" but didn't make that clear - my mistake!

Using a safety factor of 8 instead of 4 doesn't make a design any safer if the only reason you're using 8 is to account for people that aren't doing their calculations properly

Agreed, and scaling by "safety factor" depends on a linear amount of failure potential right across a build. Once you have two or more structures (or physical systems) in the BIM it's impossible (apart from load/system redundancy) to have a working safety factor. The only real answer is proper revision control of early drawings/concepts and a full-and-recorded observance of all RFC/RFIs made between the design engineers (of whatever discipline) and the construction engineers.

See, I feel like the videos raised a lot of interesting things to consider. I'm not sure how you only manage to take away that someone messed up.

I was probably being grumpy. I agree with the rest of your comments and so I apologise :)

Actual dashcam footage of the collapse (act shocked, like).

Beware that, although you don't see any particular injury or death occur, this is a multiply fatal incident so watch at your own discretion.
It happens so quickly it almost looks fake. Not hard to figure out where it failed though. Probably not a coincidence that they were working on that exact spot at the time.

It happens so quickly it almost looks fake. Not hard to figure out where it failed though. Probably not a coincidence that they were working on that exact spot at the time.

It's almost as if it could have been designed for as-built loads but not for being lifted at that point. Like F1 suspension - incredibly strong in the "right" direction and useless in the "wrong" direction.

Back