Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
Is it weird that I don't really enjoy destruction derbies in this game, and I'm mainly playing it for the handling model, old beater cars, and mixed-surface rallycross-style circuits? Like a sim dedicated to the sort of cars I've lived around for the majority of my adult life. :lol:

I've been driving the Hammerhead Volvo in homage to my faithful 1997 Legacy wagon.

Is FlatOut really so unknown/forgettable? I was telling my childhood best friend about Wreckfest and explained, "you know, just like FlatOut. It's made by the same developer." I was surprised to learn he had no recollection of it at all.

EDIT: Update for 1.05 just came up on my PS4; 965.5MB.

I really enjoyed Flatout 1 & 2....but yeah they are quite unknown underrated games - the damage model on Wreckfest is on another level though. Flatout had a lot more fun 'gimmick' feature like shooting the guy into bowling pins hehe.

Is possible to do it with both a wheel or pad, the car needs minimal steering input and you need to stick to the inside of the track as much as you can. Using the buses as a barrier to steer against helps a lot to.
Nice video!
Event was one big horror with wheel, I tried opposite settings and something from middle, then I did switch to game pad and I was really surprised it was so easy with it. I wonder how much handicap gamepad players get in game...
Sure it's more fun with wheel.

Is it weird that I don't really enjoy destruction derbies in this game, and I'm mainly playing it for the handling model, old beater cars, and mixed-surface rallycross-style circuits? Like a sim dedicated to the sort of cars I've lived around for the majority of my adult life. :lol:
Yes, that. I really enjoy the races in cars. I'm not keen on the destruction bowl/field events, and I also don't like the couch/lawn mower races. The Supervan vs School bus events were OK, although I had to use my pad and put on the assists to complete it.

I think its quite the acheivment that the game is playable, and highly enjoyable, as both types of game. I picked up the game for silly controller, minimal effort, dumb fun. I also see myself in the future playing it with my wheel and actually enjoying he druving properly.

This is exactly the kind of game that has been missing out of my life since the days of flatout on the xbox and such a welcome breath of fresh air, i did have my reservations about the longevity of the game but the was laid to rest the moment i started playing it and it caters for the racers and the crashers.

There is a really quick way to get money and level up.
1) Start a custom event and choose demolition race
2) Select Motorcity tarmac circuit (1.8m miles iirc)
3) set to 23 opponents and 60 laps
4) set opponents to Lawnmowers.
5) Choose a decent car for yourself (the higher the class the higher the reward, only by a few hundred credits though)
6) Set damage to realistic
7) Wreck all the lawnmowers then wreck yourself. Note, you must complete 1 full lap.
8) The game rewards you for completing a 60 lap race, collect ~13k credits and 50-60k xp.

I did it in under 4 mins with a class A Rammer RS.
How the hell did you get the "Class A" Rammer RS man? I saw there was a Banger race in Career: Amateurs category whereby you were loaned a Rammer RS to race against other Rammers driven by AIs and if you came 1st you would get the Rammer RS for winning.
I been trying to win that banger race multiple times with no success as those opponent AIs are vicious man. Talk about multiple restarts to try to win. LOL. And that was with gameplay settings for opponent AIs as "Novice".

I'd like to win that Rammer RS to race with against the other cars for grinding but just can't seem to do it yet. I'd buy it if it was available to be bought otherwise but it's not available as I haven't seen it. Sooo....how'd you do it?

How the hell did you get the "Class A" Rammer RS man?

Rammer RS was event prize in some of second tier events. In that challenge you had to drive half oval and both end had hairpin back. So after couple of laps you have crash head on incoming traffic (or prefer to avoid head ons).
My tip is to drive reasonable coward by staying out of troubles. Rivals tend to hit you at hairpins but they also will take each other out with head on collisions. I finished race with 4 cars alive.

Prize car has some good basic tunings and has B class as default, but I find PS4 version is currently bugged: If you go garage and check parts, none of them are owned or installed. If you buy basic stuff, your car performance drops. All you can do without messing performance points are paintings and decorations.

EDIT: A class you mean? Buy better parts on prize one :P

Last edited:
Rammer RS was event prize in some of second tier events. In that challenge you had to drive half oval and both end had hairpin back. So after couple of laps you have crash head on incoming traffic (or prefer to avoid head ons). Prize car has some good basic tunings, but I find PS4 version is currently bugged: If you go garage and check parts, none of them are owned or installed. If you buy basic stuff, your car performance drops. All you can do without messing performance points are paintings and decorations.

EDIT: A class you mean? Buy better parts on prize one :P
Re: "In that challenge you had to drive half oval and both end had hairpin back. So after couple of laps you have crash head on incoming traffic (or prefer to avoid head ons)."
Yeah that's the event race I was talking about that I saw the Rammer RS loaned, and gifted but only if you came 1st. It's one helluva race lord amighty....and the hairpin bends not easy. Very fun but hard to win IMO. I was eventually ahead in one or two races towards the end but got hijacked by opponent AIs. Most I was able to get is a 3rd and 4th place. Gonna keep trying ASAP though. I haven't seen that car as a win gift in any other races yet.

Are the PS4 graphics and the PC graphics the same?
Probably not, but who cares with so much uncomplicated, silly fun!
Before buying it my question was, it will run fine on vanilla PS4? I wasn't able to find the answer, I took a chance and now I think it was a good decision. The FPS is not buttery smooth, but it's definitively playable!

Re: "In that challenge you had to drive half oval and both end had hairpin back. So after couple of laps you have crash head on incoming traffic (or prefer to avoid head ons)."
Yeah that's the event race I was talking about that I saw the Rammer RS loaned, and gifted but only if you came 1st. It's one helluva race lord amighty....and the hairpin bends not easy. Very fun but hard to win IMO. I was eventually ahead in one or two races towards the end but got hijacked by opponent AIs. Most I was able to get is a 3rd and 4th place. Gonna keep trying ASAP though. I haven't seen that car as a win gift in any other races yet.

My only advice is stick to the bottom as much as you can, at least thats what i did. Eventually wrecks will be in the way but just try to stay low as possible

My only advice is stick to the bottom as much as you can, at least thats what i did. Eventually wrecks will be in the way but just try to stay low as possible

Agreed, stay inside as much as possible. @davidt33 I’ll also add I found once the field is not bunched up anymore and you’re facing possible oncoming traffic, that it is better to come out of the hairpins slow, until you can see what is ahead of you. Otherwise you might accelerate into the middle of the track blindly.

Agreed, stay inside as much as possible. @davidt33 I’ll also add I found once the field is not bunched up anymore and you’re facing possible oncoming traffic, that it is better to come out of the hairpins slow, until you can see what is ahead of you. Otherwise you might accelerate into the middle of the track blindly.
In addition to this, you can just stay tight on the exit kink. Cars tend to go wide and get hit head on. Especially if they already have damage.

Anyone else have difficulty with the 1.05 update? Mine has been sat at 30% copying for 10 minutes or so.

Anyone else having the issue where the game totally freezes after winning the first race in a series? It’s made it near unplayable for me, sad to say.

Discovered the free cam in replays. What a game changer!

rsz_fb_img_1567709452158.png
rsz_fb_img_1567709458233.png
rsz_fb_img_1567709461010.png
rsz_fb_img_1567709463605.png
rsz_fb_img_1567709466481.png
rsz_fb_img_1567709469040.png

How the hell did you get the "Class A" Rammer RS man? I saw there was a Banger race in Career: Amateurs category whereby you were loaned a Rammer RS to race against other Rammers driven by AIs and if you came 1st you would get the Rammer RS for winning.
I been trying to win that banger race multiple times with no success as those opponent AIs are vicious man. Talk about multiple restarts to try to win. LOL. And that was with gameplay settings for opponent AIs as "Novice".

I'd like to win that Rammer RS to race with against the other cars for grinding but just can't seem to do it yet. I'd buy it if it was available to be bought otherwise but it's not available as I haven't seen it. Sooo....how'd you do it?

Try turning the damage down to normal. I think I did it on the 1st try. Reducing the difficulty of the AI may help. I usually put it down to Amateur as you get rammed a bit less.

I've been playing this on PS4 with the psvr in cinema mode and it's lots of fun. I enjoy the racing most and try to keep it clean but sometimes a good shunt or spin is called for and it puts a huge grin right across my face. :D Playing with the bumper cam and headset on large screen makes you feel like you're right up in it, the first few turns are usually the most dramatic with cars spinning out and flying over you. It's a blast.

Nope, I'm kinda in the same boat. I like having them there for variety, but I'd pretty much always prefer racing.

Is FlatOut really so unknown/forgettable? I was telling my childhood best friend about Wreckfest and explained, "you know, just like FlatOut. It's made by the same developer." I was surprised to learn he had no recollection of it at all.

I kinda forget them because I personally never owned a FlatOut game, but I did rent the first one back when renting was a thing and quite liked it.

For me, TD:EoD will always come to mind first though, as it's basically Wreckfest with more race/event types and a better career, but lower tech damage and physics. I'd actually hoped Wreckfest was going to be more like TD:EoD, as it had some awesome event types we don't have, like flagpole races, suicide races, Red Rover, sumo, trailer races, and so on. There was a multiplayer-only chicken fight mode, as well as car soccer if I remember right.

How the hell did you get the "Class A" Rammer RS man?
The advice people have posted is good.

I just played it safe, and when I saw an opportunity to spin or otherwise significantly hinder another vehicle without taking much damage, I'd take it. The more vehicles that are far behind, the more danger the lead AI cars are in as there are more cars coming at them head-on.

Anyone else having the issue where the game totally freezes after winning the first race in a series? It’s made it near unplayable for me, sad to say.
Yeah, have had that issue since day one now when you mention it. Came across it today as well.

It happens after every race. I just go in and out if the game with the PS button until it loads the ”service area”.

MXH
Yeah, have had that issue since day one now when you mention it. Came across it today as well.

It happens after every race. I just go in and out if the game with the PS button until it loads the ”service area”.
Yeah, I don't think the game actually freezes when that happens, it just temporarily hangs before becoming responsive again. At least that's how it was is for me, the one night I experienced it (I've done series races since without issue).

EDIT: I confused series of events with an event with multiple heats. Still happening to me on events with multiple heats.

Last edited:
Loving this game more than I thought I would because it feels more sim than arcade imo, especially with a wheel. With the controller it feels more arcade, at least it seems that way to me. My only issue with the game is the drivers in the cars aren’t animated. The wheel turns but their arms don't move.

Haven’t played with photo mode much yet.

34C579B3-DD72-4993-B112-C65A449FDA15.jpeg
663E1D4C-4862-49BB-BE5D-9B136AC7B531.jpeg

Yeah, I don't think the game actually freezes when that happens, it just temporarily hangs before becoming responsive again. At least that's how it was is for me, the one night I experienced it (I've done series races since without issue).

EDIT: I confused series of events with an event with multiple heats. Still happening to me on events with multiple heats.
Yes, it's the heat races that's having issues with temporary freezing.

I downloaded the 1.05 update while playing but never installed it so I'm not entirely sure if it has been fixed or not.

It hasn't. But just stay in the game, it will load the next menu. I wondered about the same bug, a couple pages ago.

Nope, I'm kinda in the same boat. I like having them there for variety, but I'd pretty much always prefer racing.

I kinda forget them because I personally never owned a FlatOut game, but I did rent the first one back when renting was a thing and quite liked it.

For me, TD:EoD will always come to mind first though, as it's basically Wreckfest with more race/event types and a better career, but lower tech damage and physics. I'd actually hoped Wreckfest was going to be more like TD:EoD, as it had some awesome event types we don't have, like flagpole races, suicide races, Red Rover, sumo, trailer races, and so on. There was a multiplayer-only chicken fight mode, as well as car soccer if I remember right.

The advice people have posted is good.

I just played it safe, and when I saw an opportunity to spin or otherwise significantly hinder another vehicle without taking much damage, I'd take it. The more vehicles that are far behind, the more danger the lead AI cars are in as there are more cars coming at them head-on.

All of that same advice will come in handy later for the double decker car race. I won that on the first try, but had to learn how to win the Rammer RS before.

Another tip is when you come out of the sharp corner stop and go low inside wall to avoid oncoming cars as it will save you from being wrecked.

Back