Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
MXH
I have a whole new appreciation for the game since I’ve started using the cockpit view (the changeable FoV is a blessing).

Seeing and experiencing the carnage from behind the wheel is so much more fun :D

Decent update as well. Loving the Buggy!
Really? As I said before, cockpit view is my preferred view in other racing sims but I just figured chase cam was more natural for this sim, all this considered including the lack of a rear view mirror, but I guess I should give cockpit view and try too and see. Still wished there was a rear view mirror though.

Anyone done the school bus derby in the Pro Nationals and had weird results?

Dunno if it's the patch, but I've played all the way through the career up to this point on the "realistic" damage setting... Now I get to this event, and I'm being as gentle as I can to pick off the stragglers. I back into another bus at like 8mph, I take 15+ points of damage and deal 4. I backed into the side of a bus going about 15mph, took 27 damage to deal 6, then as the other bus rolled over with me against I took another 10 damage.

I haven't had any issues like this with any of the other derbies, but of course they weren't school bus derbies.

Really? As I said before, cockpit view is my preferred view in other racing sims but I just figured chase cam was more natural for this sim, all this considered including the lack of a rear view mirror, but I guess I should give cockpit view and try too and see. Still wished there was a rear view mirror though.
I'm playing with headphones which certainly helps hearing locate where the AI is closing in on me. But I'm not going to lie, the lack of rear view and side mirror is a bummer. I understand however why that is the case though.

Perhaps in a next installment where the Bugbear/developers aren't restricted by the hardware.

I've been playing this on PS4 with the psvr in cinema mode and it's lots of fun. I enjoy the racing most and try to keep it clean but sometimes a good shunt or spin is called for and it puts a huge grin right across my face. :D Playing with the bumper cam and headset on large screen makes you feel like you're right up in it, the first few turns are usually the most dramatic with cars spinning out and flying over you. It's a blast.

Hello! I bought the game on my One X. And now, because of you, I want to buy it for my PS4 Pro and my VR ! I forgot the movie mode for this kind of games! My wallet does not say thank you sir ! :lol:

Last edited:
I finally got into a race where I was the only car to finish. Otherwise, I'm just having fun busting cars up. There is a real fine video clip showing the last 2 photos. If I can ever get some free time to make another crash compilation, it will be in there.

48720170841_f279142ac4_b.jpg

48720170896_dbfc9d72d6_b.jpg

48720340467_1fc5c6bbff_b.jpg

48720170976_d24803cbb4_b.jpg

48719832423_9e1f3a7360_b.jpg

48720340267_35a379351f_b.jpg

Hmm.. I can't set up the bumper car as AI vehicles in custom race.
I hope, this is just an oversight from bugbear.
Even if I am in the bumper car and drive against the special vehicles mix, I just get normal cars in the field. :(

Just got the platinum trophy with the last thing being win 20 races online. The easiest way to win onine races is manually go to the racing lobby with the least amount of players and use the fully upgraded Boomer RS. It handles the best by a noticable amount and only is out dragged by the Venom and being about equal in acceleration to a few other cars.

Whilst debating between dirt rally 2 and wrc8 I ended up getting this, firing it up tonight to see all the fuss is about!

Looking forward to not be annoyed at getting hit online in a racing game for once :lol:

I think you're gonna love it.

Honestly unless the upcoming Codemasters GRID offers something exceptional, and I mean really exceptional without DLC hell, then Wreckfest has already won my driving game of the year 2019.

Oh, and don't just play online. Make sure you play against the AI. It's as mad as a box of frogs, and it's bloody hilarious.

Honestly unless the upcoming Codemasters GRID offers something exceptional, and I mean really exceptional without DLC hell, then Wreckfest has already won my driving game of the year 2019.

Oh, and don't just play online. Make sure you play against the AI. It's as mad as a box of frogs, and it's bloody hilarious.

Yeah I had to pick it up, haven't heard anything but great things about it and it just looks fun!

Thought it would naturally be more chaos online but I think that's the sim racing I'm used to.

Looking forward to both on and offline!

.......Wreckfest has already won my driving game of the year 2019.

Ditto to all that. It's been well worth the wait.

Added to that, it's not only a ball of fun but has it's fair amount of challenge also.

Enjoying the online very much. I have a couple cars built for each discipline and join the mixed events. Great fun going from a "race" to a smashup then a cross track or one of the head on tracks for a race. My face almost hurts from smiling after an hour of this game. And some of the hits and resulting flips and spins are just nuts lol

The only contenders left (in my opinion) are GRID & NFS:Heat. GRID is looking good in its own right, but Heat has a big question mark about the handling physics. But Wreckfest handles like a great game, considering these are wrecked cars.

The only contenders left (in my opinion) are GRID & NFS:Heat. GRID is looking good in its own right, but Heat has a big question mark about the handling physics. But Wreckfest handles like a great game, considering these are wrecked cars.
The biggest contender for me came out just after Wreckfest, and that's WRC 8. They are both excellent titles and both surpassed my expectations by quite a margin.

Last edited:
The biggest contender for me came out just before Wreckfest, and that's WRC 8. They are both excellent titles and both surpassed my expectations by quite a margin.

Yeah it's a tough one as I'm enjoying both equally as much at the moment.

However my reasoning for Wreckfest as GOTY is that it brings something fresh, new, unique, and stupidly good fun to the current generation of consoles. In fact I haven't seen anything as pure and focused in this particular genre of racing since the original Destruction Derby on PS1 and that was nearly a quarter of a century ago. While it maybe described by some as arcade given some of the concessions it makes for gameplay, those concessions actually enhance the title IMO. And make no mistake, underneath is a extremely solid physics engine making it very much a valid sim title. Flailing at the wheel to keep a sloppily sprung American style sedan under control through a tight dirt corner while being "PIT manuoevered" never felt so good or so well executed.

WRC 8, despite being a fantastic improvement over WRC 7 and a now real contender, and in many ways superior, to the Dirt Rally series, it is what it is - and that is another rally game. Brilliant as it is, it's now the 6th rally title on my PS4, and therefore it's not really bringing anything substantially new or fresh to me or IMO the sim racing world. Massive improvements yes, but nothing new.

Oh and while it maybe that my temporal recall sensory subsystem is out of whack, I could have sworn that Wreckfest came out just before WRC 8, admittedly only by a mere matter of days - I may be wrong though.

I got the Venom (Corvette) the other night. That thing is FAST. Definitely easy to damage. In the race to try to win it, as soon as you hit the death loop, the front end begins to show damage. But, it doesn't count toward the car's health.

I got the Venom (Corvette) the other night. That thing is FAST. Definitely easy to damage. In the race to try to win it, as soon as you hit the death loop, the front end begins to show damage. But, it doesn't count toward the car's health.
That Death Loop track is a lot of fun. First time I raced on it was this morning in the "Challengers" section. It wasn't a race to win the Venom (Corvette) though. Some other race....a 3-race series I think. I raced with The Dominator car which has some good speed and strength and also fully upgraded it....engine etc, all except armour so as not to add extra weight...."Normal" damage and AI difficulty set to "Novice" (Amateur and Expert difficulty is just too hard for me right now and the AI cars and drivers provide more than enough challenge IMO so that is generally my preference for all the races. I not playing no hero, just want to enjoy the game and have a chance of winning even after multiple restarts).

But yeah, that Death Loop track I think is one of my favourites right now.

So after a weekend of playing this I am very impressed indeed! It's just so much fun!

The potential of this game is massive!
Hope the game is supported with new tracks going forward and more importantly new events that come with new tracks.

I can see me playing wreckfest for a long time :)

Hope the game is supported with new tracks going forward and more importantly new events that come with new tracks.

I think Bugbear deserves a hearty pat on the back for offering the "standard" version of the game for $40 US & the deluxe version for $60 US where other games have their standard versions. This was one of those things that tempted me to get the deluxe version. I can't wait for the upgraded vehicles to become available. I looked again & there is no mention of if/when any new tracks might be added. But after seeing some YT videos of the PC version, we could use some of those tracks. There is a track called the Speedbowl & that has 4 crossover sections each lap.

I think Bugbear deserves a hearty pat on the back for offering the "standard" version of the game for $40 US & the deluxe version for $60 US where other games have their standard versions. This was one of those things that tempted me to get the deluxe version. I can't wait for the upgraded vehicles to become available. I looked again & there is no mention of if/when any new tracks might be added. But after seeing some YT videos of the PC version, we could use some of those tracks. There is a track called the Speedbowl & that has 4 crossover sections each lap.
Yeah that's why I went for the Deluxe version. Thought it was very reasonable.
As for the tracks I find there are so many already (cars too) I can't complain but of course I won't refuse more for greediness sake.

Back