Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
News - Currently 50% off on Steam - The promise of the looooong awaited update.

Wreckfest gets more punch under the hood, update coming soon!

11 Jun
screenshot202506s1.png

We're pleased to announce that the next update of Wreckfest is scheduled for this month, and it will mark an important milestone for our game. In the update we will be introducing our completely new tire and suspension simulation model that will provide for a much more immersive driving experience on both tarmac and sand. The update will also feature our next-generation DirectX 11 rendering engine that will make it possible to faithfully recreate realistic environments with advanced physically based materials and lighting (PBR).

Since we've been working hard with the physics and rendering features of the game this update will not contain much new content, but as a teaser of the great things to come the update will ship with the first iteration of the reworked Sandpit track to give you a glimpse of the level of quality and realism we're striving for with our next-generation environments. Not only that, but you will also get a chance to experience an early version of a new oval track that we have in production. Since the new tracks would be nothing without new toys to race around with, we'll be including two new cars as well. Both of them are still heavily in progress, mind you, but nonetheless you will get to take them for an early test drive. Needless to say, the update will also contain a huge number of other added features and improvements, many of which have been requested by you, our dear players and supporters.

As it is so often, when one journey ends another begins. The next update is a first, important step in realizing our dream for Wreckfest. Now with most of the heavy lifting done on the physics and rendering department of the game our development team will be working full-steam on new good stuff to come in the next months: a whole lot of new cars, new tracks, car customization, modding support as well as other features and content that in end will make Wreckfest THE definite game for anyone looking for rough, no-holds-barred racing experience.

A full changelist will be available with the update, but here are the most important changes:

• New simulator-grade physics engine with advanced tire and suspension geometry simulation.
  • New DirectX 11 rendering engine with realistic physically based materials and lighting.
  • 64-bit operating system support for optimal performance on modern computer systems.
  • Hardware MSAA anti-aliasing with advanced foliage transparency antialiasing.
  • Dedicated server for optimized multiplayer performance with command-line and remote configuration features.
  • Steam leaderboards and player statistics for tracking and comparing performance with other players.
  • Support for changing the track and the car in lobby as well as adding bots to multiplayer events.
  • New game modes Team Race and Elimination Race, guaranteed to provide explosive racing action for 2-4 teams.
  • One new track and another one completely overhauled.
  • Two new cars, an American and a European one.

As always, thank you for your enthusiasm, dedication and support. See you on the track!

An idea for the environmental detail we're looking for (still work-in-progress, subject to change!

screenshot195605.jpg

Make sure to click the pic.

Last edited:
Well, it's been a while since we heard from Bugbear, thank godness they haven't forgotten about this. And I'd be quite tempted to get this under discount, to be honest. I just fear that my computer will not be able to run the game with all its detail.

And speaking of detail, that environment looks very nice. It's making solid progress...

For a little fun I purchased this very limited early access game. That was 8 months ago and there hasn't been an update since. Is the developer still around?

For a little fun I purchased this very limited early access game. That was 8 months ago and there hasn't been an update since. Is the developer still around?

Yes, the developer is still hanging around, look at the post about my first post in this page. That should be proof enough, no?

Yes, the developer is still hanging around, look at the post about my first post in this page. That should be proof enough, no?
Let's hope so. The statement may be proof that someone is still around but a download (new build) will be proof that it is still actively being developed.

Let's hope so. The statement may be proof that someone is still around but a download (new build) will be proof that it is still actively being developed.

Of course, but at least we do know that Bugbear has had some defined objective to accomplish during their long period of silence. Other early acess games haven't said a thing for a long time period regarding updates (i.e. Road Redemption), nor they had a blog update regarding those "silence periods". Once a new build is out (if), we should know for sure.

I hope this build will allow the use of separate pedals. I bought this game months ago and still cant play because separate pedals isn't supported.

I hope this build will allow the use of separate pedals. I bought this game months ago and still cant play because separate pedals isn't supported.
Hmm, I'm definitely using separates (wheel, pedals, sequential, handbrake). They all show show up as "wheel" though - "wheel 1", "wheel 2", etc.

Oops. For some reason the full press release did not end up in my post up there. I just added it to the first Bugbear said.....

"New simulator-grade physics engine with advanced tire and suspension geometry simulation", eh? I hope that doesn't backfire on Bugbear if it goes wrong... The physics need to be at the right level for an all-round (in terms of players) game like Wreckfest. And the new cars should be interesting...

Maybe... When they earn enough money... But Im happy that it is a proper pc game which happens not often these days...

Last edited:
Well.....they got it out before the end of the month! But....they probably shouldn't have!!! If you think pCARS has bugs you have not seen anything yet :crazy:

Last edited:
Well.....they got it out before the end of the month! But....they probably shouldn't have!!! If you think pCARS has bugs you have not seen nothing yet :crazy:
It's pretty much back to square one. It's a dog's breakfast, but of course it is. It was a mighty brave move, and I hope that enough people can ride it out and work with, rather than against, the new build.

Hopefully the end justifies the means.

I haven't tried it yet but damn, the Steam forums are awash with people who just don't understand what early access is for. They're demanding a rollback, but how is Bugbear supposed to test or develop things with the community if they refuse to help with feedback on the new changes? It's just pure idiocy.

I had a go tonight, it obviously needs work but I still had a lot of fun with it as usual. Since I assume the long break between updates was due to re-writing so much of the game I hope they pick up the pace a bit now, Project CARS had huge changelogs every week (and a much bigger budget, I know) and it still released pretty half-finished.

Thank goodness this game still has some life to Bugbear. From someone who enjoyed playing FlatOut at a young age, I would really like Wreckfest to get out of Early Access

Also is it me or did performance tank? I barely get 30fps with the latest update, where before the update I got 50-60fps.

Also is it me or did performance tank? I barely get 30fps with the latest update, where before the update I got 50-60fps.

From what I've read you're not alone, but personally with all the settings at the highest (except MSAA) and 23 cars on track I was at 60fps most of the time. That's with a GTX 960 and at 1080p.

From what I've read you're not alone, but personally with all the settings at the highest (except MSAA) and 23 cars on track I was at 60fps most of the time. That's with a GTX 960 and at 1080p.

I'm mostly at high settings w/o MSAA, and I have a 280X. Probably my CPU or something

DAMAGE IS BACK ON TRACK!

We're happy to let you know that the latest hotfix for Wreckfest is now out, giving much needed love to our damage system and making it more brutal than ever before in both single player and multiplayer. The update also improves CPU performance and features a nifty workaround for those having issues running the x64 build. Needless to say, we've also put in a host of other minor fixes, details below.

Please find the changelog here:

- Improved visual damage precision and increased deform strength.
- Implemented multi-core physics optimizations and other performance improvements.
- Implemented a temporary x64 build workaround for certain GPUs.
- Re-enabled automatic controller detection.
- Fixed positive wheel steering sensitivity curve.
- NOTE! Positive steering sensitivity values now have a higher effect.
- Improved brakes and increased handbrake torque (again).
- Last Man Standing now ends if second to last car is eliminated by contact timer.
- Fixed replay mode's glitched 4x fast-forward.
- Implemented various spectator HUD fixes.
- Tentative fix for multiple copies of a player joining a lobby after a crash.
- Enabled wheel release for vehicle damage.
- Added dedicated limited slip differentials for each vehicle.
- Improved suspension setups of all vehicles.
- Tweaked gamepad controller slightly.
- Improved vehicle cameras.
- Fixed contact audio with various objects.
- Added new paint jobs for Euro Coupe 2 and American Muscle 3.
- Fixed missing surface collisions on Tarmac 1.
- Improved collision of sand mining equipment found on Sandpit 2.
- Vehicle props on Sandpit 1 no longer cause massive damage and move around.
- Improved default reference weather.

Thanks for your support and happy wrecking!

Looks good and runs fine in DX11 :)

Messing around in Pixlr online Editor ^^

That is good, that is very good. Bugbear was not unphased by the major issues they had with the recent update, and have been busy fixing most of the issues brought by it. That in my view shows that Bugbear cares enough about their game to keep it as consistent as it can be in this state. 👍

By the way, very good pictures, @Ak1504, this game can also look pretty when it wants to.

-40%

Save 40% on Next Car Game: Wreckfest on Steam

"Thanks to our overhauled tire and suspension simulation model and the new next-generation DirectX 11 rendering engine you will be now able to enjoy more immersive racing experience than ever before, beautifully recreated with physically-based materials and lighting. We've also taken our vehicle damage simulation to the new level, so from now on you will be able to witness cars being brutally torn to pieces in unparalleled level of detail and quality. The update also introduces several engine optimizations to make sure you can enjoy the full glory of demolition racing in furious 24-player multiplayer games, something that only WRECKEST can offer. And that's not all: The latest version of the game features great new content such as cars and tracks as well as numerous improvements on all fronts as requested by our very own racing community.

We want to take this moment to thank you for the incredible support we have received during the Early Access phase of our game. This latest release of the game is not the end of the journey but the beginning, and thanks to you we now have a great base upon which we can build the game by adding more features and content as well as improving what we already have in order to make WRECKFEST the unrivalled racing experience that YOU want.

To celebrate the occasion WRECKFEST will be on Steam sale, starting from right now. Don't miss out your chance to join us on the track and experience the next level of full-contact racing and crashes today! Also don't forget to join our forums at WRECKFESTGAME.COM !"

Wreckfest is kinda cool, the damage model and all, but there is very little to race if you're not into online multiplayer. Also, there isn't any AI level control, way too easy. I also hope they can add some content in the not too distant future but being such a small development company any changes seem to take forever. Not trying to just knock the game as it is unique and there are some good points but it's more of a demo.

Back