Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
Wreckfest is kinda cool, the damage model and all, but there is very little to race if you're not into online multiplayer. Also, there isn't any AI level control, way too easy. I also hope they can add some content in the not too distant future but being such a small development company any changes seem to take forever. Not trying to just knock the game as it is unique and there are some good points but it's more of a demo.

Yeah agreed, the AI cars are way too easy to beat. They are fun to compete against in the Last Man Standing/deathmatch modes but not in circuit racing. Online multiplayer is awesome fun if you are in a low ping server but there's rarely any servers in my part of the world so i'm forced to use higher ping servers which aren't much fun at all.

The current damage model is way too over the top, it goes crazy when you play in a laggy server and your car deforms into some ridiculous shapes. It's hilarious but not exactly good, it just looks like the game is broken.

Just got this thanks to the Steam sale, rather enjoying it. However, I am the only person who thinks the physics in the Sneak Peek physics test thing are actually nicer than the normal game, even though it restricts you to keyboard only? It feels looser and less stiff than the actual game.

Plus, when using a Dual Shock 4 controller, with ABS off, the brakes seem to lock literally instantly with any touch of the right trigger. Also, the delay between the button press and the game responding when changing gear is really irritating. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but it's off-putting.

I must say, though, overall it's great fun, and a worthy successor to FlatOut.

Just got this thanks to the Steam sale, rather enjoying it. However, I am the only person who thinks the physics in the Sneak Peek physics test thing are actually nicer than the normal game, even though it restricts you to keyboard only? It feels looser and less stiff than the actual game.

Plus, when using a Dual Shock 4 controller, with ABS off, the brakes seem to lock literally instantly with any touch of the right trigger. Also, the delay between the button press and the game responding when changing gear is really irritating. Not sure if it's a bug or intentional, but it's off-putting.

I must say, though, overall it's great fun, and a worthy successor to FlatOut.

I remember the earlier builds had issues with front brakes locking, the latest build has fixed that.

And here's the change log:

Engine:

* Physics improvements, more realistic geometry dynamics.
* Implemented joint-based steering rack implementation.
* Improved visual damage accuracy and realism, cars now deform more like they're made of sheet metal instead of paper or plastic.
* Implemented ambient occlusion maps for vehicles.
* Resurrected ambient shadow for vehicles, now affected by visual damage.
* Resurrected low frequency ambient occlusion for scenes.
* Running Steam client is no longer needed for dedicated servers.
* Again reduced dedicated server CPU load on empty servers.
* Improved tire adhesion audio, now reacts to different tyre conditions.
* Implemented basic anti-hacking measures: The game now detects in case there are modified or additional files in sensitive data folders, excluding art. In case modded content is is detected leaderboards are disabled. Multiplayer requires that the server and clients have the same modified files.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you're persistently receiving an error message about data mismatch and can't pinpoint the culprit, please delete the whole 'data' folder and verify data integrity via Steam.

Gameplay:

* Added a new game mode: Sprint Cup, consisting of 3 heats of 2 lap races.
* Added basic part durability mechanic: parts now wear with use, lowering performance.
* AI opponents are now picked based on player's car class.
* Added a set of new AI opponents with different cars.
* Enabled ABS & TCS helpers in multiplayer.
* Fixed team race lap position points awarding.
* Improve lost tire and damage tracking in replay.
* Improved gamepad controls.

Upgrading:

* Implemented a new (placeholder) upgrading menu.
* Added a whole host of new vehicle parts.
* Implemented a placeholder marketplace.

User Interface:

* Improved chat functionality.
* Added an alert when a multiplayer event is about to start.
* Implemented more accurate option sliders when using a controller.

Tracks:

* Added a new race track: Mixed 1.
* Added a new race track: Tarmac 2.
* Added a new derby track: Lawn Mower Derby.
* Improved replay cameras on all tracks.
* Improved AI behaviour on all tracks.
* Added sunset weather.

Vehicles:

* Added a new vehicle: Lawn Mower with rag doll driver.
* Updated tyre model.
* Improved vehicle setups.

Woah woah wait a minute; LAWN MOWERS!? Of all the possible new vehicles, that was absolutely the very last thing in my mind that could be added to a game like this, hahahaha! :lol: And it has rag doll physics... it's Flatout all over again, and this time it's even more akin to that idea!

Well, Bugbear continues to impress with these new additions, and I can't wait to see footage of those lawn mowers in a demo derby, because that will be a barrel of laughs...

I saw the ~3GB download last night, sounds like it might be worth actually starting up Wreckfest for the first time in months to have a go then.

The update is good, feels more like a game now and graphics are looking better. Only issue I noticed is to cover up the bad AI they have made them faster on the straights to provide more of a challenge. It works but it's kind of annoying being slower than everyone else on the straights even with full upgrades....

JKMenMB.jpg
rC6tCMM.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it definitely looks more polished, if anything. As for the A.I. issues, maybe that might be related to excessive rubberbanding on the straights, which while that compensates for the A.I.'s speed loss in those sections it does seem that Bugbear overly compensated with the rubberbanding, and now the A.I. can go "Need For Speed 2015" on you by being faster even when the player has an upgraded car. Well, that does have room for improvement...

Also, the first picture is simply hilarious; it looks like a mass murder scene with all the lawn mower drivers laying around as if they were shot or something, one of the reasons why lawn mower derbys in the game must be so funny to play around in. :lol:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,8579.0.html

The latest update is now live, featuring following changes:

General:

* Implemented an experimental version of part repairing and crew mechanics.
Note that in order to be able to repair you first need to recruit a crew by clicking the small crew button above the car's icon and then assign your newly-recruited crew to the car.
* Added a new work-in-progress tarmac track.
* Improved all suspension setups.
* Added Racing and Rally tyres in addition to Standard ones.
* Improved off-road surfaces, now they are either more slippery or slow down.
* Improved clutch logic so it's now easier to get the car moving again after spinning out.
* Improved gamepad controller.
* Fixed frequent crashing when joining servers with lawn mowers.
* Improved vehicle paint-job changing speed.
* Improved game start-up time after system boot.
* Fixed graphics settings resetting after system boot.
* Excluded paint-job related files from data modification check.
* Implemented new grass.
* Alpha-to-coverage multisampling for foliage is now always enabled.
* Removed festive stuff.

Server:

* Added basic event rotation functionality for dedicated server.
* Added an ability to log dedicated server's messages to a file.
* Further reduced idle dedicated server CPU usage.
* Dedicated server configuration is from now on read from server_config.cfg file which is not clobbered by Steam updates. The file is seeded from the old initial_server_config.cfgfile.

Ha, what a coincidence. I was playing Wreckfest just the other night, trying to recommend it to friends who said the updates are too far apart (which is admittedly hard to refute), having loads of fun barrelling around the place in the automotive equivalent of a loaded shotgun with some sort of baseball bat bayonet attachment (which is incidentally clearly an amazing idea), and now there's a new update, just like the last time I played on a whim. I should play more often!

I'm really not liking the whole repair system and having to buy new parts every few races, it's just annoying.

I agree. There's a fine line between making a game realistic and just plain not fun. Hopefully it's only an experimental thing and it's removed in the full game.

If its not there in a game with this kind of damage and gameplay > people complain

So I´m happy to have it and to take care of my car...

If its not there in a game with this kind of damage and gameplay > people complain

So I´m happy to have it and to take care of my car...

I assume you would be happy to pay for insurance? Track entry fee? Fuel and tyres? Medical bills when you crash?

Games are supposed to be fun. The realism aspect should be limited to the driving side of things. I don't see why getting punished for crashing is a good thing, especially since the whole promise of the game is wrecking. On a circuit based game I can understand, but not this one.

But hey, each to their own. At least they should give us the option to turn the feature on/off.

Games are supposed to be fun. The realism aspect should be limited to the driving side of things. I don't see why getting punished for crashing is a good thing, especially since the whole promise of the game is wrecking. On a circuit based game I can understand, but not this one.
Must say that I like the idea of strategic wrecking though, and if repair consequences ultimately aid the need to be strategic, I'm in. Granted, it's a dangerous road to travel though, there's a lot of balancing risk/reward and racing/wrecking to be done here.

If you don´t like go on and play another game... :)

I could, but if everyone has that mindset then you might as well shut down the whole forum because all opinions are meaningless.

I'd like Wreckfest to do well, because it's been a while since there's a good Derby type racing game. I'm not gonna ragequit a game just because I don't like one aspect of it. But I will post constructive criticism in the hope that the devs will reconsider their design choices. They might, or they might not, but at least I made my ideas known *shrugs*

I don't mind the idea of repairing my car but the way it's implemented is annoying. I hate having to go to the shop and filter out the parts and then make sure I buy the exact same part I need otherwise if I install a standard part instead of a racing part 3 other components will suddenly become incompatible. Apparently now once your mechanic levels up you can just repair parts instead of buying new ones but this takes a while.

But at the end of the day it's an arcade game and it's supposed to be fun, I used to enjoy jumping on and doing a few races now and then but now it's like I have to work on the car every few races and it's just plain annoying.

Back