Wreckfest - General Discussion

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 1,601 comments
Well that is far from good, it seems that Wreckfest placed a heavier economical burden on Bugbear that what they had expected. It didn't help that the recent game updates failed to gather much interest...

Guess our dreams of a good modern demolition racer are about to go down the drain, such a shame.

Well that is far from good, it seems that Wreckfest placed a heavier economical burden on Bugbear that what they had expected. It didn't help that the recent game updates failed to gather much interest...

Guess our dreams of a good modern demolition racer are about to go down the drain, such a shame.
Still tempted to pick it up for what is there already. Is it worth the 17 bucks or shouldn't i bother?

Still tempted to pick it up for what is there already. Is it worth the 17 bucks or shouldn't i bother?

The discount price is certainly suitable, given that the game is bound to remain incomplete if the news of Bugbear's demise are confirmed, so if you think it won't get cheaper in the nearby future go for it. The game itself is not terrible, but my PC was never capable of running it at decent speeds, so I uninstalled it from my Steam account. It pays to have a decent PC build and know whether or not any of its components will struggle with the game. I paid the price of that mistake dearly...
The existing content is nice and somewhat varied, and the tracks go the same way, but the racing was still in the process of being polished, so make of that what you will...

Last edited:
I think it's bankruptcy in name only, and not the kind that most would assume. "Bankruptcy" was filed by another company owed money by Bugbear, and not Bugbear themselves. There has been several updates since then, including one only a few days ago, which should mean something at least.

It's a pretty serious drive considering what most would expect from it's premise. There's plenty of enjoyment to be had with what's in place now, and even if official development ceased, the recently released modding options would see it live on anyway. I paid more than the sale price and have easily got my money's worth already.

Aw, shame. I bought Next Car Game (as it was then called) with Steam store credit I got from selling a LOT of trading cards, I've loved every minute I've played so far and I hope (as unlikely as it is) that more people buy it because the multiplayer as it is now is really great. I also hope they keep updating it but we'll see, I suppose.

Well i went ahead and bought it :D

Maybe we should hold an online race with us GTP folks in the coming weeks?

That's such a shame if it's true. I'm not the biggest fan of demo derby racing, but I had a lot of fun with Destruction Derby RAW on PS1 and would like to see a similar game for this gen. Wreckfest looked really promising too, but the last few updates didn't really impress the community it seems.

I have a strict rule against buying Early Access games, but I may just have to snatch this one up before it's gone along with the company.

Well at least they have given us mod support so the community can finish their work. Someone has released a Destruction Derby mod with 3 of the tracks from the original PS1 game. Bit of a laugh for those of us old enough to have played it.

Sad about the game though, had loads of potential but needs quite a bit more work to be polished.

There was another update, so someone's doing something at Bugbear. It got a little bit more of it's old mayhem back, but now AI cars react more realistically to force than they used to. I'm loving it.

Not sure if the balances have evolved over time, but I decided to muck around with audio levels and found that what I had was no good, and that default was no good. Dramatically reducing player engine and AI engine sounds makes for a much livelier soundscape. One could easily be fooled into thinking that tyre on gravel made no sound at all with default levels. I ended sitting as extreme as 15-40-100 (player engine-AI engine-effects). Remains to be seen if I'll go back to it with fresh ears and realise that those settings sound ridiculous though.

Is Bugbear having financial troubles? Was there even a chance of this coming to consoles?

MXH
Was there even a chance of this coming to consoles?
Apparently, suddenly....... yes - http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/wreckfest-coming-to-console-new-stunt-game-announced.125487/

Already developing nicely through the Steam Early Access programme, Next Car Game: Wreckfest developers Bugbear Entertainment have revealed plans to bring the title to the console audience. Due for release sometime in 2017, Wreckfest should be a popular addition to a console market that currently lacks a truly next generation destruction derby style racing game.

This is actually quite big news. @AKps3, perhaps it would be worth adding something like "Coming to PS4 and Xbox One - 2017" to the thread title?

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2016/08/26/demolition-racer-wreckfest-coming-ps4-xbox-one-2017/ explains purchase tiers, and beta access plans.

Dezember Update und News

"Dear Wreckers, As many of you are aware, Wreckfest has been in Early Access for a considerable time. Even though there have been numerous significant improvements along the way that will make the game indefinitely better in the end, understandably some of you have been concerned that the final game will never see the light of the day. We understand this and would like to address these concerns with this statement: Wreckfest always has been and always will be our first-priority project, and we are 100% committed to create a game where all of us (you, our faithful supporters, and us, as its developers) will be proud of. As a further sign of our commitment, we would also like to share the upcoming steps with you:

We found a partner that will enable us to fully commit to Wreckfest all the way to its completion.

We will be servicing the game with more frequent and rich monthly updates, starting in February.

Wreckfest is our main focus, and we will increase our team size to speed up its development."

More and Changelog here:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,9445.0.html

Dezember Update und News

"Dear Wreckers, As many of you are aware, Wreckfest has been in Early Access for a considerable time. Even though there have been numerous significant improvements along the way that will make the game indefinitely better in the end, understandably some of you have been concerned that the final game will never see the light of the day. We understand this and would like to address these concerns with this statement: Wreckfest always has been and always will be our first-priority project, and we are 100% committed to create a game where all of us (you, our faithful supporters, and us, as its developers) will be proud of. As a further sign of our commitment, we would also like to share the upcoming steps with you:

We found a partner that will enable us to fully commit to Wreckfest all the way to its completion.

We will be servicing the game with more frequent and rich monthly updates, starting in February.

Wreckfest is our main focus, and we will increase our team size to speed up its development."

More and Changelog here:

http://community.bugbeargames.com/index.php/topic,9445.0.html

So many good things happening to early access games right now, this is probably one of the best things.

Back