Next Forza Motorsport Game Revealed, Apparently Isn't Called Forza Motorsport 8

^ I did notice that the trailer was pointedly lacking in actual diversity. There is clearly an agenda Microsoft are pushing strongly, which is their right, but some of us just want to play a racing game, not have a particular divisive political agenda rammed down our throats.

There's something very strange about the way the cars appear to behave on track in that footage...almost like they are animated rather than adhering to any sort of physics simulation. If I were to speculate, I'd say that they are very, very early in development and this footage was rushed together to respond to the GT7 trailer.

This…, i think they showed nothing from the game if in the other hand it´s actually game engine looked artificial and fake has hell XD car movements looked so strange.
I think was just a small trailer to tells us that they are working and in early development witch means game still far away from release, just look at Halo example.., great looking in the intro but when we saw gameplay omg.., so no Forza gameplay there are nothing to compare and Gt7 in this department seems to be far ahead.

Well the biggest difference I see between the GT and FM titles are that GT actually focuses solely on racing/cars whilst FM is falling in over inclusiveness muck which more and more racing games are filled with. I do understand the "different strokes for different folks" proverb, but I don't support the over inclusiveness in every racing game. Diversity being buzzword of Xbox and MS it doesn't surprise me. I did want to give a shot to Forza Motorsport 7, but I can't take seriously racing game where you race in clown mask, Grinch suit or any other childish stuff. At best I can see it as sim-cade that tries to please everyone for sake of $$$ which is perfectly ok. Best thing, hovewer, is that there are still games that accomplish to reach wider audience without being over inclusive.

I liked F1 2013 but addition of some RPG career where you manage whole team in F1 2020 just takes away purist nature of racing for sake of racing. Some people just wanna race and not live "virtual life" in racing games. I just hope they won't add stuff like in FIFA story mode. Adding family issues in game as story mode and ruining football for what it is is true disaster. It has to be noted as well that PD is Japanese company and Turn10 US company. US games sadly focus too much on politcization of games whilst many people go to games exactly to avoid that.

All in all it's truly a blessing that not all racing games are same and that some really remain true to their origins, that is, motorport/racing itself.

Cheers :cheers: :gtpflag:

P.S. I always loved how PD never implemented voice actors in games and used gender neutral names (abbreviated first names).
I don't see the problem because Forza is the only one doing this stuff, every other racing sim is dead serious, you look at PCars, Assetto, Raceroom, iRacing, Automobilista and whatever else and they have little to distinguish themselves from each other aside from physics. In the process of chasing simulation they lose any sense of personality. Well aside from PCars I guess, they pride themselves on the amount of bugs and having bad controller implementation. Other than that they all look more or less the same to the point where I have trouble telling them apart without labels.

There’s no reason they can’t do both. They could literally keep every single car from FM5-7 and FH2-4’s rosters, and still go down the dedicated ‘serious motorsport’ path. All they’d need to do is focus on what content they add in the FUTURE, rather than deleting the past. There’s nothing stopping them from allowing fuel and tyre strategies on every car we can drive, nothing preventing proper implementation of weather and time. Having the option to buy a mid 90s Civic or a Ford Raptor isn’t going to make the GT3 racing any less authentic if you choose to specifically race in the GT3 category. It’s called ‘race/championship restrictions’, and Polyphony could figure it out way back in 1997 with the very first GT.

Most of the SUVs aren’t even really off roaders. Things like the X5M and the Trackhawk Grand Cherokee would snap in half at the first sight of a dusty trail. They’re designed for road use only, specifically to be as competent around corners as possible for something their size and weight. Saying “if it’s an SUV, it’s for off road use” is about as uneducated as saying American cars can’t be good around corners.

Hmm I didn't even know they still were lacking fuel/tire wear or weather. But yeah I basically get that they could do both, I'm just worried about "executives" with "vision" trying to "refresh" the brand without the community in mind. I'm hoping this teaser was essentially a glorified tech demo.

They aren't seriously dropping the number, are they? Why do that? Why!? For 16 years they've built up a perfectly sensible naming system, against so many other franchises adding colons or removing numbers entirely, Trackmania was bad enough, but calling FM8 just FM would be like the next Final Fantasy only being called Final Fantasy, unless, as was posted while I was writing this, this is the final Forza to be updated forever, which I didn't think we were ready for but OK, maybe.
It kinda feels like the console itself. I thought many people would predict that the Xbox 360 successor will be Xbox 720, but intstead it's named Xbox ONE. Same case for Forza Motorsport.

There's something very strange about the way the cars appear to behave on track in that footage...almost like they are animated rather than adhering to any sort of physics simulation. If I were to speculate, I'd say that they are very, very early in development and this footage was rushed together to respond to the GT7 trailer.
Ironic that, it's turned around. PD is the one notorious for being a slowpoke (they probably still is for GT7), and if anything, they'll be the rushed ones to catch up to others, while Turn10, with much bigger number of employee, can work in a much faster pace, to the point that FM's main games amount have overtaken GT's. Now here, Turn10 is the slower one where the trailer is rushed to respond to GT7 and they're the incomplete ones?!

This all means that the wheels in Forza Motorsport look sharper than ever. Tector said that without hardware-accelerated ray tracing, developers have to mimic lighting effects with tools like cube maps and static textures, which can remove realism from the scene.

“With the wheels, we no longer have to compromise with those approximations, because they would always end up with this really flat lighting, or there wouldn't be enough light interaction between the wheel and the brake discs and the fender,” Tector said. “It's a big, complicated, tight space in there, and now, we're able to actually get a very realistic look to that wheel.”

Does anyone else ever think that Turn 10 don't see the wood for the trees with all this stuff? I play a lot of Forza Horizon 4 which of course does not have ray-tracing and I never think to myself 'pfft, if only this game had more realistic reflections and lighting, THEN it would be great'. It's already great. It already looks realistic enough in terms of lighting and reflections. The cars reflect the surroundings. I know it's not truly realistic, it's an illusion or approximation or whatever, but it doesn't matter, it's good enough. You do not notice these things whatsoever while playing, or even particularly when you look closely either. Unless you REALLY want to nit-pick, and do most gamers really think FH4's lighting and reflections are actually a problem?

So while Turn 10 focus on these relatively minor and unimportant issues, are they going to address the multitude of failings and shortcomings in the actual GAME itself? Do these people know much about real cars and actual racing? Will the new game still have the stupid flapping mirrors, wipers and spoilers which look like they are about to shake themselves loose, while you drive at a pedestrian pace down a billiard-table smooth road? Will the new game have decent replays, which even in FM7 and FH4 are still very poor compared to even the likes of Gran Turismo 4 on the ancient PS2? Will it show time intervals between players like even the more casual FH4 does, or will it still use distance?

These devs promised the Earth before FM7 and largely failed to deliver any of it. They rely on gimmicks like parroting the resolution or framerate. Now they're relying on gimmicks like a wheel may have slightly better reflections. Who cares. Not many people care about that stuff.

Last edited:
All they have to do is bring back FM4 VIBES with all the content they have accumulated and BOOM .

Here’s hoping they can knock it out the ball park this time.

Last edited:
Where is the Dan Greenawalt btw. I kinda miss his Forza sales pitch.
Im happy Chris Ezaki has taken his spot... also what happened to that other guy that has the same name as someone from NFS? I think Ryan Cooper. He had a leading role in FM7s Development and seems to have vanished

Where is the Dan Greenawalt btw. I kinda miss his Forza sales pitch.
I don't. I always felt like he talked to us like we were children.

Everything was always catchphrases like "gamers into car enthusiasts and car enthusiasts into gamers" and that kinda useless painfully obvious PR speak, that didn't make him seem genuine. I've also never seen him address a "tough" question, making it seem like he (and by extension, T10) wouldn't acknowledge any issue or difficult subject and instead just throw more "60 frames, Forzavista, 700 cars" stats at us instead.

Was a boring trailer, not hyped for this one. It showed a clip of the Apollo going down the corkscrew, then later we saw an Apollo race down the corkscrew. I’m pretty sure further on we had a glimpse of the Apollo...tumble down the corkscrew. But credit where it’s due, Laguna Seca looks to have had a revamp...although maybe just on the corkscrew, who knows

Possible indication of new laser scanning? If so, maybe less content than FM7?
6D418865-AC54-438A-A42B-272F7DF1FD97.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm I didn't even know they still were lacking fuel/tire wear or weather. But yeah I basically get that they could do both, I'm just worried about "executives" with "vision" trying to "refresh" the brand without the community in mind. I'm hoping this teaser was essentially a glorified tech demo.
Forza has technically had fuel and tyre wear since FM2 at least. But it has NEVER been used to any meaningful degree. No races in either career or MP are long enough to where it becomes a factor, so you essentially never experience it. Because different tyre compounds aren’t available, strategy plays no part.
They tried to implement changing time and weather in FM7, but it was the laziest attempt I’ve ever seen. The ‘‘weather’’ could only be experinced by selecting a ‘chance of rain’ option in the race setup, which would load up a special ‘wet’ version of the circuit. You’d already be on rain tyres, and the weather randomly cycled between raining and cloudy. Same thing with night races, you’d essentially click whether you wanted the race to be day or night. If you picked night, it would start the race at twilight and would progress to full dark (or start in the dark and progress to dawn). No actual full 24h cycle, just the same 6h cycle over and over. Not truly dynamic in either case. I don’t know why T10 has dragged their feet on that stuff for so long, GT6 could make it work on the PS3 badk in 2013.

No races in either career or MP are long enough to where it becomes a factor

If you select the "long race" option in FM7's career mode, fuel and tire wear become a factor, as some race exceed 45 minutes, and there's no way your tires are going to last that long. Ditto the endurance races, especially the 3h one around Sebring.

Possible indication of new laser scanning? If so, maybe less content than FM7?
View attachment 943442
They are using photogrammetry for the environments this time, its the same tech they used for the Dubai track. Its one of the most accurate ways to recreate a environment as you basicly just copy the texture and geometry of the real thing. And the track it self is laserscanned ofcourse.
FM7-Photogrammetry-800x450.jpg

They are using photogrammetry for the environments this time, its the same tech they used for the Dubai track. Its one of the most accurate ways to recreate a environment as you basicly just copy the texture and geometry of the real thing. And the track it self is laserscanned ofcourse.
Ohhh! :embarrassed: I loved T10's presentation of this, and what they can achieve with said tech for Forza Motorsport's real life tracks. The tracks will look more realistic than even GT7. The trailer being "in-engine" is probably an idea what T10 wants/plans to achieve for the new title, and I say go for it!

Just wish they have shown more of the track because the trailer was the most beautiful of I've this gen. Hope we hear more about Forza Motorsport come Monday on Forza Monthly.

Ohhh! :embarrassed: I loved T10's presentation of this, and what they can achieve with said tech for Forza Motorsport's real life tracks. The tracks will look more realistic than even GT7. The trailer being "in-engine" is probably an idea what T10 wants/plans to achieve for the new title, and I say go for it!

Just wish they have shown more of the track because the trailer was the most beautiful of I've this gen. Hope we hear more about Forza Motorsport come Monday on Forza Monthly.
I also can't wait to see more, i want to see rain in the night on Fujikaido with ray traced puddles and windshield poured with water where you barely see anything with 3d audio where you hear every raindrop and engine noise spread around the moutains :).

If you read the article on the Forza Hub app, it confirms that this will be PC and Series X only. It also says it will be available on Game Pass.

Seeing as they're working on this at the same time as the next Horizon, plus some of the language they've been using, I have a suspicion that Motorsport and Horizon will be connected in some way.

Pretty hard to tell at this point. It's obviously a pre rendered CG

The Ray-tracing already looks a whole lot better then GT7, maybe it's the hardware advantage or PD haven't fully optimized it yet.

GT7 you can hardly tell the Ray-tracing difference if you look close enough like car reflections.

Its in engine which means it could very well be prerendered.

This is not indicative of gameplay.

Bear in mind that said high quality assets are too large to be used in most games, so much time is spent by studios (T10 mentions outsourcing as the next bullet point), downgrading the geometry and textures to fit real time rendering pipeline.

I'm just hoping that they wind up calling this FM8. Imagine having three Forza 1s! Motorsport 1, Horizon 1, and another Motorsport 1. Getting Xbox One flashbacks here.

Seeing as they're working on this at the same time as the next Horizon, plus some of the language they've been using, I have a suspicion that Motorsport and Horizon will be connected in some way.
Do we know this for sure? I've had a feeling that they'd be connected given the fact that if FH5 was planned it would be released a very long time after 4, but I don't remember them ever actually mentioning it.

Back