Next Forza Motorsport Game Revealed, Apparently Isn't Called Forza Motorsport 8

It looks fantastic, way to eye candy, but it sure looks better than Gran Turismo 7 (In terms of detail on track), that'll keep PD to keep polishing the details. Although i'm not sure, it looks more of a tech demo than a videogame.

So did forza 7 yet when gt sport finally released it blew forza 7 out of the water. Polyphony seemingly does graphics later in development. Gt sport didn't look great for a long time until the beta pretty much. Yet now it looks better than even driveclub, but with half the render time (not in the rain though )

Ohhh! :embarrassed: I loved T10's presentation of this, and what they can achieve with said tech for Forza Motorsport's real life tracks. The tracks will look more realistic than even GT7. The trailer being "in-engine" is probably an idea what T10 wants/plans to achieve for the new title, and I say go for it!

Just wish they have shown more of the track because the trailer was the most beautiful of I've this gen. Hope we hear more about Forza Motorsport come Monday on Forza Monthly.

Bear in mind that said high quality assets are too large to be used in most games, so much time is spent by studios (T10 mentions outsourcing as the next bullet point), downgrading the geometry and textures to fit real time rendering pipeline.

Polyphony also uses photogrammetry for quality, which is why they'll continue to be lagging behind in either content or consistent quality if they don't want to have any outsource help and try to do everything themselves.

Untitled-1.png

Was a boring trailer, not hyped for this one. It showed a clip of the Apollo going down the corkscrew, then later we saw an Apollo race down the corkscrew. I’m pretty sure further on we had a glimpse of the Apollo...tumble down the corkscrew. But credit where it’s due, Laguna Seca looks to have had a revamp...although maybe just on the corkscrew, who knows

Possible indication of new laser scanning? If so, maybe less content than FM7?
View attachment 943442
I'm sceptical that they will rebuild all 32 tracks with this level of quality. Also Laguna Seca was always one of the better looking circuits in Forza due to it's short length and naturally sparse environment. Wonder what happens with Nurburgring or Spa for example, where trees are everywhere. I don't think it's the last we've seen of 2D trees.

True, but it looked better than GT7 and RT was better, too.
It's way too early to say anything when both games are more than a year away, if not several years. Although it shouldn't be a surprise if Forza ends up looking better, remember that T10 has 2 TFlops more to work with, and both are likely targeting the same resolution/framerate. So this time they have an advantage, just like PD had the advantage of PS3/4 being more powerful than the Xbox consoles.

Im happy Chris Ezaki has taken his spot... also what happened to that other guy that has the same name as someone from NFS? I think Ryan Cooper. He had a leading role in FM7s Development and seems to have vanished
Bill Giese, apparently he's still at Turn 10 but I haven't seen a public appearance from him since 2017.

Maybe like Dan Greenawalt he's more top-line "Forza brand" person now rather than a specific game, looking at the far future vision of the next 3-4 titles.

Just wish they have shown more of the track because the trailer was the most beautiful of I've this gen.

I highly suspect the corkscrew section was the only part of the track optimised/polished well enough for a presentation like this, a vertical slice of target visual quality across the board. That doesn't mean the rest of the track doesn't exist, but the decision to use that turn multiple times in the teaser seemed very deliberate.

I hope they plan on dropping some info on us at the very least a couple of new features, info on whether we getting more tracks, ball park car count on release day and a projected release date.

Don't get your hopes up, anything concrete would have been mentioned in the Xbox showcase.

At best you'll likely get some things along the lines of:

• This is in early development.
  • The team is working really hard to make the best game possible.
  • They're really excited to share more in the coming months.

If you want the short version, here:

Watching the video, my impression is that the game is very a long way to be launched, more an concept video. I will look further in the future, since I want to play it on PC.

Forza Original tracks tracks are way better in detail and design than PD recently.
Do you mean the ones featured in GT Sport? If so, I agree. I've always preferred PD's original tracks back in GT1 to GT4, as they had such a nice flow and scenery to them. However, the ones in GTS, although beautiful scenery, don't have good track designs imo except for tracks like Dragon Trail and some others like Colorado Springs.

I've always liked T10's original tracks such as Rio for road/rally and Prague, and Dubai has a gorgeous landscape! Maple Valley and Camino Viejo de Montserrat are both my all time favorite tracks in the Forza franchise though. :embarrassed:

I hope both companies can bring back ALL of their original tracks from their previous games to confiscate track count (if getting real ones is taking time). :)

I hope both companies can bring back ALL of their original tracks from their previous games to confiscate track count (if getting real ones is taking time). :)
There's no difference in time and effort between real and original tracks, in fact real ones are a bit faster to make because you get the general layout and topography from the laserscans and photogrammetry scans. Plus if they're to rebuild long tracks like Nurburgring and Le Mans with this level of quality it's gonna take a long time. Remember that Forza 5 version of Nurburgring took nearly 2 years to make and even then that version is subpar to the quality found in other sim racers now, both in road surface accuracy and surrounding scenery. Of course they might be planning to release a barebones version to start with and then update it similar to GTSport. But the base package needs to be sizable enough, the can't have a repeat of Forza 5.

So did forza 7 yet when gt sport finally released it blew forza 7 out of the water. Polyphony seemingly does graphics later in development. Gt sport didn't look great for a long time until the beta pretty much. Yet now it looks better than even driveclub, but with half the render time (not in the rain though )
GTS is a great looking game but it lacks in alot of areas where Forza simply looks much much better. The only thing that GTS blow Forza 7 out of water is lighting, HDR, trees (some of them) and shaders. Things like iq, textures, shadows, reflections, in game car model, smoke effects, draw distance, track details, grass, sky and rain effects (outside the rain on the windshield looks better on GT) are better in Forza 7. GTS destroys Forza in replays and photomode thats also something PD is better in, but pure in game quality it destroys nothing.

Its in engine which means it could very well be prerendered.

This is not indicative of gameplay.

Bear in mind that said high quality assets are too large to be used in most games, so much time is spent by studios (T10 mentions outsourcing as the next bullet point), downgrading the geometry and textures to fit real time rendering pipeline.
Oh i know but now they can use a higher quality capture with al the extra power. The dubai track in Forza 7 was one of the best looking track. It looked way better than the other tracks and it looked real like because it was a capture of the real thing instead of hand made look a like.

Polyphony also uses photogrammetry for quality, which is why they'll continue to be lagging behind in either content or consistent quality if they don't want to have any outsource help and try to do everything themselves.
I'd like to know why Poly can't make nice looking track anymore today? IMO, the tracks look pretty poor in terms of details in GTSport compared to Rio or Prague in Forza. Even tracks in Grid or Project Cars seem to have richer sceneries.

For me, GT is the only racing game where cars look real. And that's something I'd like to see in the next Forza.

For me, GT is the only racing game where cars look real. And that's something I'd like to see in the next Forza.

+1

And let's remind ourselves that this is something that they could do on current hardware. Because it's not that the existing hardware can't do it, and you don't need ray tracing to do it. GT Sport proves that conclusively. I can't put my finger on what the difference is exactly, or what the right words are to describe it. But it's that the cars in Forza, for all their detail, look slightly fake or cartoony and not quite there in terms of looking real. This is an art design choice, whether it's colours, lighting, contrast, saturation, whatever it is, it's something that Polyphony know how to do, and Turn 10 don't (or they choose not to, in preference to the slightly fake look).

Unless they change tack, you could have all the power in the world, the cars still won't look real. It's nothing to do with resolution either. Something can look perfectly real at 720p, or look cartoony at 4K, or 8K.

If they've got all new people in to do this, then maybe they will do it. If they've got the same people directing this part of the project, I expect nothing will change.

Last edited:
I'd like to know why Poly can't make nice looking track anymore today? IMO, the tracks look pretty poor in terms of details in GTSport compared to Rio or Prague in Forza. Even tracks in Grid or Project Cars seem to have richer sceneries.

+1

And let's remind ourselves that this is something that they could do on current hardware. Because it's not that the existing hardware can't do it, and you don't need ray tracing to do it. GT Sport proves that conclusively. I can't put my finger on what the difference is exactly, or what the right words are to describe it. But it's that the cars in Forza, for all their detail, look slightly fake or cartoony and not quite there in terms of looking real. This is an art design choice, whether it's colours, lighting, contrast, saturation, whatever it is, it's something that Polyphony know how to do, and Turn 10 don't (or they choose not to, in preference to the slightly fake look).

Unless they change tack, you could have all the power in the world, the cars still won't look real. It's nothing to do with resolution either. Something can look perfectly real at 720p, or look cartoony at 4K, or 8K.

If they've got all new people in to do this, then maybe they will do it. If they've got the same people directing this part of the project, I expect nothing will change.
Its that incredible lighting engine and the superb shaders, even if they have low detail or low iq the lighting make up for it. With HDR its even more amazing how real it can look.
49456060313_95e37dd001_o.png

Same goes for Forza Horizon 4, the lighting is soo much better than 7 that even with the same car model the car looks more real and fit in the world.
49507841538_9188e33a1d_o.png

While in Forza 7 outside the Dubai track and Yas Marina in day time the lighting of the tracks are not on the level of GTS or FH4.

In house? Wow thats pretty ambitious.

True, but it looked better than GT7 and RT was better, too.

GT7 showed RT much better than Forza did. Its hard to see clear examples of RT in Forza and the lack of gameplay didn't help either.

Something that just crossed my mind seeing al those Apollo's with different liveries on them. Are they going to forgo having duplicates of racecars that are essentially identical apart from the livery and just have 1 of each car with a bunch of default liveries selectable from the paint menu?

I suspect the core of the game will be same as before, I.e high car count of all ages and ability, with plenty of scope for modification.

The big change they mention could be creating your own racing team/driver and going through a career that way. The different liveries on the cars and the crew in the garage could imply that.

GT7 showed RT much better than Forza did. Its hard to see clear examples of RT in Forza and the lack of gameplay didn't help either.
GT7 showed RT of more. The glimpse FM showed of RT reflections was better and that's not just my opinion. Watch the one hour Digital Foundry talk of the event.

GT7 showed RT of more. The glimpse FM showed of RT reflections was better and that's not just my opinion. Watch the one hour Digital Foundry talk of the event.

You should listen to the rest of the DF analysis then.
Forza in engine =/ GT7 in engine
We have no idea of what either of these in engine renderers have or capable off, and to what extent either pre render or use real time graphics.

The only comparison that is valid is between gameplay.

If you select the "long race" option in FM7's career mode, fuel and tire wear become a factor, as some race exceed 45 minutes, and there's no way your tires are going to last that long. Ditto the endurance races, especially the 3h one around Sebring.
Depends on tire quality and vehicle.

Stock through Sport tires will easily last over 45mins, but yeah some cars on Race compound will struggle to last that long, depending on track.

On the fuel side of things, it is dependent on vehicle... most vehicles in the game can run well over 40mins on a tank though. There are some outliers of course, like the Shelby GT350 is closer to 30mins on a tank, where as a few small displacement vintage cars can run nearly 2 hours.

He's right though that it has never really been much of a factor. Most vehicles burn up their fuel faster than tires, so it's quite rare that tire wear actually plays into things, and with most cars being able to make it 40+ mins on a tank, you have to run special tailored race lengths to each car for fuel to be anything that needs much consideration. I help run an organized group that does 1 hour races and has been doing them since FM1, and other than a few exceptions with really powerful cars burning up extra fuel or high power FWD cars tearing up their front tires, pit strategy has almost always been very straightforward.

What they need to do is give us multipliers for fuel and tire wear so we can dial it in to our own preference.

Also for some dumbass reason fuel and tire wear are locked together, so you can't even turn off fuel burn to try to turn things into a tire race... that needs to go too, let us turn each one off individually.

Will get ps5 if GT7 comes this year, if not I might build a PC priced around PS5 and play Forza 8 if that release this year.

Will get ps5 if GT7 comes this year, if not I might build a PC priced around PS5 and play Forza 8 if that release this year.
I think the odds are we will get neither this year.

We might get one or both next year.

Forza is highly unlikely to come this year. It's more likely to release late 2021 or even early 2022.

Forza is in early dev. Its 2022.
That doesn't mean anything.

Forza Motorsport being a reboot could launch in late 2021 at the earliest. Plus, I imagine T10 must have started work on it somewhere in late 2019 or early 2020 after scrapping the whole project of FM8 I presume. If it's a GaaS title, than 2021 would make a lot of sense. If it's huge, than it would be 2022 but it won't be.

Therefore, 2021 would have to be the target date T10 will plan to hit.

Do we know this for sure? I've had a feeling that they'd be connected given the fact that if FH5 was planned it would be released a very long time after 4, but I don't remember them ever actually mentioning it.
No, it's complete speculation on my part. Some of the wording they've been using makes it sound like they're trying something new.

Back