Next Forza Motorsport Game Revealed, Apparently Isn't Called Forza Motorsport 8

That doesn't mean anything.

Forza Motorsport being a reboot could launch in late 2021 at the earliest. Plus, I imagine T10 must have started work on it somewhere in late 2019 or early 2020 after scrapping the whole project of FM8 I presume. If it's a GaaS title, than 2021 would make a lot of sense. If it's huge, than it would be 2022 but it won't be.

Therefore, 2021 would have to be the target date T10 will plan to hit.
Turn 10 Studios mentioned that they already started testing Forza Motorsport since late 2019. Development probably begun halfway through 2019.

That doesn't mean anything.

Forza Motorsport being a reboot could launch in late 2021 at the earliest. Plus, I imagine T10 must have started work on it somewhere in late 2019 or early 2020 after scrapping the whole project of FM8 I presume. If it's a GaaS title, than 2021 would make a lot of sense. If it's huge, than it would be 2022 but it won't be.

Therefore, 2021 would have to be the target date T10 will plan to hit.

T10 themselves have said its early in dev so you're wrong. FM usually takes 2 years to make, hence 2022. 1 year till release is not early in dev.

Turn 10 Studios mentioned that they already started testing Forza Motorsport since late 2019. Development probably begun halfway through 2019.
Ahh yes I forgot about that! I wonder if it was for this rebooted Forza, hmmmm. Hoping we hear more from T10 tomorrow. 👍
T10 themselves have said its early in dev so you're wrong. FM usually takes 2 years to make, hence 2022. 1 year till release is not early in dev.
That still doesn't matter though. That can change with this reboot if it's a GaaS model, so I still doubt it's a 2022 release as you're putting it.

Forza is in early dev. Its 2022.
Νo way its coming out in 2022. Definetely 2021

And are we sure that the game is actually in early development? Maybe thats just a lie and they are in an advanced stage bc it isnt possible for a game which started being developed in March 2019 to be now in early development. Also some rumors claim its on production since late 2018.

Last edited by a moderator:
And are we sure that the game is actually in early development? Maybe thats just a lie and they are in an advanced stage bc it isnt possible for a game which started being developed in March 2019 to be now in early development. Also some rumors claim its on production since late 2018.
I swear, I have something telling me Forza Motorsport is far into development than what T10 wants us to think. There's just no way the new Forza Motorsport is in "early development".

So much to think about! :crazy:

They might release this in 2021, but dont expect a whole lot of cars and tracks. The situation might be similiar with Forza 5, which was a generational leap as well. The biggest difference today is that we wont see a Forza 9 two years further down the line. Judging the recent strategy shift with Halo and Gamepass, i expect that this will be the only Forza Motorsport for Series X, a game that will evolve over time just like Halo Infinite. It makes sense because of the Gamepass focus, MS will most likely earn more Cash with Gamepass subs and DLCs then with traditional sequels which come out every two years. This makes a launch with limited content even more likely. You dont have to complain, because you dont have to buy the game anyways, its all on Gamepass.

They might release this in 2021, but dont expect a whole lot of cars and tracks. The situation might be similiar with Forza 5, which was a generational leap as well. The biggest difference today is that we wont see a Forza 9 two years further down the line. Judging the recent strategy shift with Halo and Gamepass, i expect that this will be the only Forza Motorsport for Series X, a game that will evolve over time just like Halo Infinite. It makes sense because of the Gamepass focus, MS will most likely earn more Cash with Gamepass subs and DLCs then with traditional sequels which come out every two years. This makes a launch with limited content even more likely. You dont have to complain, because you dont have to buy the game anyways, its all on Gamepass.
But since its a reboot they cant dissapoint, they need to have at least all fm7 tracks and some new real world tracks and also the classic fantasy tracks we ask for years. Obviously though 700 cars will be hard.

But since its a reboot they cant dissapoint, they need to have at least all fm7 tracks and some new real world tracks and also the classic fantasy tracks we ask for years. Obviously though 700 cars will be hard.

Not sure if you are serious? We cant say for sure but my bet is they are rebuilding all tracks from the ground up now. Which means that nothing is set in stone right now. It might take a while until we see all those tracks in the new game.

Not sure if you are serious? We cant say for sure but my bet is they are rebuilding all tracks from the ground up now. Which means that nothing is set in stone right now. It might take a while until we see all those tracks in the new game.
Esaki though had mentioned that they now build tracks much faster and Turn 10 is now very big, but maybe you are right

Welcoming home for you and your friends... accessible for gamepass users... yeah... i see which direction they are heading. Of course its Forza, so i never expected a hardcore sim. Just hope they double down on MOTORSPORT as they are claiming to do.

Hearing Esaki say they can make content much more faster than before, gives me even more hope that Forza Motorsport WILL release somewhere in 2021. Plus it's going back to its roots that made it great in the past (hopefully from FM1 to FM4).

This Motorsport definently sounds to be a GaaS model for gamepass. Don't mind at all.

How hard is it to just make something that mixes the best parts of GT5 and iRacing/RaceRoom? They’re acting like the direction for the next title is the hardest thing in the universe to figure out, but all the pieces are sitting right in their lap. Gran Turismo-style car list and attention to detail, and PC racing sim-style dedication to an authentic racing experience and online championships. There, T10. There’s your sales record-shattering solution to get everyone back in your corner.

Other thing that jumped at me from the interview is that raytracing exposed some ugly details in cars, tracks and scenery, so they are reworking everything so visuals are up to the task. There is hope then that they will rework many cars that are in serious need of it. It also buries the possibility of FM getting a Xbox One/S/One X version.

Glad they are taking the time they need to change the fundamentals of the game.

Like others here have said it definitely sounds like this will have a much longer life than previous titles with how much emphasis they put on being able to quickly update the game and produce content. “Doubling down on Motorsport” sounds great to me!

I am OK with Forza Motorsport taking a games as a service route lasting the duration of the Series X lifespan. Just be sure to keep new content rolling in every so often, Maybe a big yearly expansion with smaller content updates every month or 2. Would be nice if they can keep all DLC tracks free for everyone and have the Expansions focus on new Career mode content and car packs.

I am OK with Forza Motorsport taking a games as a service route lasting the duration of the Series X lifespan. Just be sure to keep new content rolling in every so often, Maybe a big yearly expansion with smaller content updates every month or 2. Would be nice if they can keep all DLC tracks free for everyone and have the Expansions focus on new Career mode content and car packs.

Agreed. Numerical releases don't make much sense for track racers anymore. Open world racers still require a change of scenery every now and again, but for franchises like Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport, it should just be one release per console generation.

That being said, my one concern with such a game model is licensing. If brand licences expire in the middle of a game's decade-long life cycle, will it be possible to lose cars between updates?

I think its well worth the risk, but is something I'm always mindful of.

How hard is it to just make something that mixes the best parts of GT5 and iRacing/RaceRoom? They’re acting like the direction for the next title is the hardest thing in the universe to figure out, but all the pieces are sitting right in their lap. Gran Turismo-style car list and attention to detail, and PC racing sim-style dedication to an authentic racing experience and online championships. There, T10. There’s your sales record-shattering solution to get everyone back in your corner.

Thats what GT7 is doing though and FM can't compete with GT sales on that front. From a design standpoint your idea is great but from a business standpoint, it leads them in direct competition with a stronger brand.

With MS's focus on gamepass it makes sense why they are going for GaaS.

Thats what GT7 is doing though and FM can't compete with GT sales on that front. From a design standpoint your idea is great but from a business standpoint, it leads them in direct competition with a stronger brand.

I don't think them having competition has stopped them from doing things one way or another. That's actually more of a good thing than a bad one. Even them selling a good bit less hasn't made it any worse off - In the end, I don't think outright sales has mattered much for a while, as T10 sticking around should be a testament to that.

Forza literally exists because it’s intended to be microsoft’s answer to the PS-exclusive GT. It’s essentially always been that.

The building cars quicker actually worries me, I'd rather they take more time to be honest. Just look at some of the cars that were added in updates that have had weird exhaust textures or tail light reflector textures in grey (most from the games launch TBH). Then we have the mk3 Supra that they brought back to FH4 with the incorrect tail lights, having already been fixed in an FH3 patch. I've always thought that the Renault Clio RS with the Jaguar R-S badge on the steering wheel was a result of rushing the modelling. Its almost as if the developer didn't take the time to read file name of the asset and threw the first RS they could find on. The M3 GTR and GTS both look like they were rushed too, they both reuse incorrect assets from the regular version. But if they can make cars more quickly, lets hope we get some newer race cars than the 2018 ones on the leaked list.

I hope some of the cars do get properly redone, the 22B and RX-7 Spirit R both were redone for Xbox One and are arguably worse than the 360 models, and all the ray tracing and 4k textures in the world can't save the AE86, Evo 9 or both R32s of the Skyline and Golf variety. Also some of the cars that have gone a bit wrong over the years like the E34? M5, that's had broken textures for 3 of the 6 Forzas its been in.

Interesting to see existing tracks getting scanned and rescanned, Forza and GT never get enough credit for their track quality. Whether scanned or not they are often more accurate than the PCARS or Codemasters equivalent, even a fair few of iRacing's laser scanned tracks are outdated by a decade. I just hope updated suspension physics make use of the detailed track surface, because currently formula cars can take the touring car line over the kerbs and notorious IRL bumps don't factor at all.

Forza literally exists because it’s intended to be microsoft’s answer to the PS-exclusive GT. It’s essentially always been that.

Right but that doesn't mean that market will always exist. Sim racing as a whole has been in decline, as shown by many racers declining in sales. FM has been in decline since Forza 4, so its clear a shake up was needed.

Right but that doesn't mean that market will always exist. Sim racing as a whole has been in decline, as shown by many racers declining in sales. FM has been in decline since Forza 4, so its clear a shake up was needed.
Forza is one of the best selling Xbox exclusive franchises. FM has been in decline since FM4 because no title since has lived up to the legacy of FM4. FM5 was a slapdash rushed game missing half its content, and it soured a lot of people on the franchise. FM6 was one of the best selling XB games in 2015, and helped repair some of the reputation lost from 5. FM7 sold well initially but petered off because of how poorly it was managed. None of this stuff speaks to the market’s desire for racing games as a whole but rather speaks specifically as to how T10 has gotten lazy and let the franchise run itself into the ground from lack of care. Forza Horizon 4 broke sales records, if you recall. Racing games are doing fine, T10 are the problem.

Forza is one of the best selling Xbox exclusive franchises. FM has been in decline since FM4 because no title since has lived up to the legacy of FM4. FM5 was a slapdash rushed game missing half its content, and it soured a lot of people on the franchise. FM6 was one of the best selling XB games in 2015, and helped repair some of the reputation lost from 5. FM7 sold well initially but petered off because of how poorly it was managed. None of this stuff speaks to the market’s desire for racing games as a whole but rather speaks specifically as to how T10 has gotten lazy and let the franchise run itself into the ground from lack of care. Forza Horizon 4 broke sales records, if you recall. Racing games are doing fine, T10 are the problem.

Forza Horizon. Not Forza Motorsport. (your first sentence)
Whatever it is T10 needed a shakeup.

However I feel there are other development troubles in the background. T10 have had 3 years and yet they are still working on engine tech and say the game is early in dev. T10 usually have dev cycles of 2 years, yet this FM is looking to take 5 years.

We'll find out soon why. There's that rumour that T10 have been helping 343i with Halo Infinite since that game is in serious trouble.

Back