Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
How the heck can you slot in below the 86? Lol. Is it going to be a kei-spotsu-car?

If they want to do a cheap MR2 below the FR-S, it wouldn't be too difficult. A small, MR design with the itty-bitty 1.5L from the Yaris. Assuming the car is light enough, the 107 BHP output should be more than adequate to have fun and keep up with Toyota's "green" persona.

Bram Turismo
Wasn't the MR-S a 150 hp rear engined 2-seater? A possible new MR-S gen?

I would love for the styling to return to the MR2 MK1. Like an origami on wheels.

If Toyota made a light, mid engine, MR2, what would it be competing against? The FR-S I'd already competing against the Miata, so would this be another competitor? What would be rivaling it?

Didn't the old MR-2 faced off against the Miata?

In this case, it'll probably usher in a new segment if successful or flop completely.

The price has to be right.

I had a thought: couldn't a 3.0 6 cylinder achieve similar performance results as a turbo 6 of equal displacement if it had a secondary electric (ie hybrid) motor in addition? I know it wouldn't produce similar top power gains (translating to higher top speeds), but my thinking is that the immediate low-rpm torque response would be amazing, which is what recycling combustion engines, by definition, are weak in. Y/N?

Public'sTwin
I had a thought: couldn't a 3.0 6 cylinder achieve similar performance results as a turbo 6 of equal displacement if it had a secondary electric (ie hybrid) motor in addition? I know it wouldn't produce similar top power gains (translating to higher top speeds), but my thinking is that the immediate low-rpm torque response would be amazing, which is what recycling combustion engines, by definition, are weak in. Y/N?

Toyota has been talking about kres with the FR-s so seeing it in a Supra wouldn't be to far off. But Toyota's sixes have always been good down low.

No thanks, I'd rather Toyota just leave the MR2 in it's current dead & forgotten state if it's to be slotted below the 86.

I don't see why it would be so bad. The 86 should have been priced lower anyway, so something in the $18-21k area would be fantastic, especially if it's MR.

If Toyota made a light, mid engine, MR2, what would it be competing against? The FR-S I'd already competing against the Miata, so would this be another competitor? What would be rivaling it?

It would be carving out it's own market. So, if sales were strong, I'd imagine that others would follow. That being said, word is that Porsche is looking to a sub-Boxster again. Or, if VW told them to bugger-off and did it themselves, that'd be the same kind of market. In a weird way, this would also go up against the new Alfa Romeo 4C, albeit half the price.

So apparently Toyota's considering making the next Supra an EV...

In its quest to better balance green friendly technology with building more driver's cars, Toyota is considering making its new Supra an EV. We've heard the rumors before and it seems that Toyota is now absolutely intent on reviving the Supra nameplate on an all-new 21st century performance sports car. But there's a catch: the new Supra could be an EV. According to a report from The Detroit Bureau, not only is the return of the Supra all but certain, but that Toyota president Akio Toyoda wants it ready "as soon as possible." However, earlier reports suggesting that the GT86 platform could serve as the basis for the new car may be wide of the mark.
Instead, wait for it: the drivetrain from the Tesla Model S could be assigned the task. Tesla?! Say what? For those who don't recall, the two automakers signed an agreement nearly two years ago that would allow Tesla to share battery and other EV technology with Toyota in exchange for other areas of expertise. The only Toyota product to emerge from this deal so far has been the RAV4-EV, so it makes sense the big automaker wants to get the best bang for its buck. Even Tesla CEO Elon Musk recently hinted the Model S drivetrain could serve as the basis for a number of new vehicles, such as a BMW 3 Series competitor.
By going with a battery-powered Supra, according to GT86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada, Toyota could accomplish its two main current goals: balance its green friendly image with building some cars that are fun to drive. Interestingly, Toyota's future sports car desires don't stop here. The MR2 is also set to make a return but few details are known. More than likely, it will remain mid-engined, rear-wheel-drive and may even be smaller than the GT86. The Supra does take priority over the MR2 and we wouldn't disapprove if the FT-HS Concept (pictured) served as the design basis.

tumblr_mbfshfloal1rpdotto1_1280.jpg

An ev supra?? Garbage ... It'll probably look like garbage. They shoul bring back the supra as a super car.

I think that a new Supra needs to come from the BMW-Toyota sports car collaboration deal that was announced in June.

Quote from Autocar in June
BMW and Toyota have agreed to produce a new sports car in a joint venture as part of a wide-ranging collaboration that will also focus on fuel cell development, powertain electrification and research into lightweight technologies.

At BMW's Munich headquarters today, Toyota boss Akio Toyoda and BMW chief Norbert Reithofer signed a memorandum of understanding pledging to expand their existing cooperation, which was forged in December 2011.

Now the companies will embark on a long-term link-up that will include joint development of architecture and components for a future sports car. Although Toyoda and Reithofer didn't elaborate on details of that aspect of the deal, the link-up could potentially pave the way for the revival of either the Toyota Supra or the smaller Celica.

The Supra, which was last built in 2002, could be based on the platform that underpins the BMW 6-series, while a Celica could be spun off from 3-series architecture.

Alternatively, a joint project along the lines of Toyota's tie-up with Subaru, which spawned the mechanically similar GT86 and BRZ sports coupés, could be explored. BMW, meanwhile, has occasionally been linked with the development of a new mid-engined supercar.

The M Division know how to make some of the best driver's cars in the world (M3 E30, E46 M3 CSL, Z4M, 1M Coupe), so if a new Supra were to be built by M, it would be good.

AudiMan2011
I think that a new Supra needs to come from the BMW-Toyota sports car collaboration deal that was announced in June.

Quote from Autocar in June

The M Division know how to make some of the best driver's cars in the world (M3 E30, E46 M3 CSL, Z4M, 1M Coupe), so if a new Supra were to be built by M, it would be good.

This.

What great news! Excellent info man. :D:tup:

Could ///M and TRD work on designing a inline 6 TT or V6 TT with state-of-the-art technology in hybrid engineering?

Because they both are working on hybrids/electric tech, but these two automotive giants are the leaders when it comes to inline designed engines (M3's E30-E46 engines and Toyota's 2JZ, 3SG, 1ZZ I4s and I6s). And even though they have their flaws, these engines are impressive works of their engineering IMO.

Could they actually do a Hybrid system with a inline 6 block with Twin Turbo configuration? Good on gas, but can run in the 500-700hp range, even if they give it 480hp, how would the car fair out with the GT-R, C7 Vette, SRT GTS, NSX, Aventador and the 911 GT2 as it rivals?

Just giving out a idea I had for awhile about the MK5 JZA90 new engine.

Last edited:
Believe it or not I've seen some super rare Ferrari's some Lambo's two SLS's and plenty more but I saw my 1st MK5 Supra today :lol: red with chrome wheel's .

Yeah, the JZA80 is very rare, indeed. I've only seen one in the metal - I've actually seen more Aventadors (two, in fact) than that :lol:

My family looks at me weird whenever I point out a Supra in public.

Hey if you don't find that car epic, then something is wrong with you.

Toyota wouldn't even have to come up with a different name. Supra RZ for the normal one, Supra E for the EV, done.

End of 2017 launch?

World Car fans
Toyota's highly-anticipated Supra successor is coming into focus as a new report is indicating the model will be launched by the end of 2017.

That's still several years off, but sources are indicating the model could be powered by a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine which is outfitted with a hybrid system. The engine could produce more than 400 bhp (298 kW), but there has also been speculation about a hybridized 3.5-liter V6.

Hopefully Yamaha somehow gets in on the next Supra.

Hmm...

GT86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada – who also happens to be the head of the Supra successor project – is working to create a concept car for this year’s Tokyo Motor Show, a car with a planned debut of late 2017. As we noted in late November, Tada has admitted that Akio Toyoda has asked him to develop the car “as soon as possible.”
We are told that BMW will help with the suspension settings and handling of the new Toyota. Meanwhile, our source also tells us that BMW, which will also use a beefed up version of the GT86 platform for its Z4 update, is testing a BMW-built V-6 hybrid unit that delivers similar power to the Supra successor.

http://wot.motortrend.com/report-to...4-hybrid-powertrain-324703.html#axzz2KbdjvB3T
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802825

Not sure how I feel about that.

A new Supra successor has been talked about here and there for the past decade. With the success of the new 86, I'm just glad Toyota is back to making sports cars again.

I know it's been a rumour before, but I just want to clarify: BMW best be working on an I6, not V6.

I also find it strange they'd bother using the 86's platform for the Z4; it doesn't really fit with the car's market position these days, and they have a perfectly fine platform for it as is.

Back