Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
And the a-pillar is much nicer on the LF-A. I hate the '1990s' way of molding the front fender into the mirror and a-pillar, like the Fbodies of the day.

Supra Successor Back in the Pipeline

toyota-supra-rendering-front-view.jpg

*Rendering
The edges and sharp angles you see in the attached illustration at top are how one artist interprets the direction Toyota is believed to be heading with its new sports car.

The car's final body is expected to be dropped onto the chassis of the GRMN MRS prototype, which has already undergone testing at Fuji Speedway.

The new sports coupe (it's unlikely to be called Supra) would employ an all-wheel-drive system and generate upwards of 400 horsepower. The car is rumored to feature a mid-engine-mounted, 3.5-liter V-6 hybrid setup mated to a CVT lifted from the new Lexus RX, but tuned for higher performance. The engine would drive the rear wheels, while in-wheel electric motors would power the fronts. GRMN's expertise would be utilized to help develop the car.

the new coupe could be on showroom floors by late 2015 for less than $60,000.
http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/1205_toyota_supra_successor_back_in_the_pipeline/

It looks like it going to compete with the new NSX.

CVT for a sports car? Doesn't sound too good to begin with...

Also, the new "Supra" will take on the new GT-R and NSX, and not the Evo and STI, I take it?

I wouldn't mind it being hybrid as long as you can turn it off, if that makes any sense. Lets say you do have the Supra, getting 20mpg. You, being sad, turn on the "hybrid mode" and instantly get something like 30mpg. You meet some guy at a traffic light in an R35 so you turn off "hybrid mode" and burn the crap out of him when the light turns green. You turn "hybrid mode" back on and get your respectable 30mpg again. That way if you want to save gas while getting the groceries, you can use "hybrid mode," and when you want to go to a track day or just drive fast in general, you can just turn it off.

That would be cool...

I saw one on paris like a month ago .

When I saw I told to my dad that would be other version of the GT86 .

Wrong. I don't like , Supra is supoused to be a beast. that's a Prius with GT86 concept chassis and a turbo. :(

ShortAznGuy
You, being sad, turn on the "hybrid mode" and instantly get something like 30mpg. You meet some guy at a traffic light in an R35 so you turn off "hybrid mode" and burn the crap out of him when the light turns green

Except you don't, because the hybrid system is as much there for providing a power boost as it is for economy. Turn it off, and your power output drops...

Dream that something is completely pointless exists?

There would be zero benefit from being able to turn off the hybrid drivetrain.

People don't want the hybrid drivetrain but people are implementing them into future cars. Being able to turn it on and off would benefit both sides: the enthusiasts and the gas savers. I don't see why it isn't pointless. Obviously I know that it would be impossible for a manufacturer to want to do this because it would be a waste of money but hey, it's a dream.

Why do people hate hybrid systems with sports cars. Why not have more power, better fuel economy, better performance, and better traction. Things change with time, this isn't '93 anymore. On the other hand they call lop-off the CVT tranny. 7 or 8 speed tranny would be a much better route.

People don't want the hybrid drivetrain but people are implementing them into future cars. Being able to turn it on and off would benefit both sides: the enthusiasts and the gas savers. I don't see why it isn't pointless. Obviously I know that it would be impossible for a manufacturer to want to do this because it would be a waste of money but hey, it's a dream.
Why would the car enthusiasts not want it? Electric motors generate more torque than ICEs.

Turning off the hybrid system would be very, very easy with a switch, since it is basically all electric and the motors don't run 100% of the time.

What I am saying is you would only make the car, in every measurable way, slower by turning it off, because the weight from the system will still be there and all that.

Like I said, no benefit.

And :lol: at making into two very different camps. I like electric motors because I like torque. I'm an enthusiast as well, and you can probably guess that based on my history of vehicles.

I feel you are grossly missing the point here.

I can see 1 benefit from being able to turn it off (to save your electricity for if it's needed) but that's about it or if you are picky with your drivetrain, making your 4wd hybrid into a rwd engine powered car.

I can see 1 benefit from being able to turn it off (to save your electricity for if it's needed) but that's about it or if you are picky with your drivetrain, making your 4wd hybrid into a rwd engine powered car.

But there wouldn't be a benefit to turning it off. You're talking about a system that - if it's implemented - will likely operate in a similar way to that of other Toyota/Lexus hybrids, but with more emphasis on boosting performance.

Take the "...450h" Lexus at the moment. Each uses a 3.5 V6 and a hybrid system. The "450h" implies that despite the 3.5-litre capacity, performance is more akin to having a 4.5 under the hood. The electric motor provides whatever amount of horsepower to assist the regular engine.

It's also there to help save gas, so if you're in nose-to-tail traffic - a situation in which having huge amounts of horsepower is utterly pointless since you're probably only using 10bhp to crawl along the road - it'll run entirely on electricity.

There'd be no benefit to "turning it off", because all you'd experience is less performance (both due to having no electric motor assistance, and also because the extra weight of the batteries/motor wouldn't be doing anything except being extra weight), it wouldn't re-capture energy when braking like the current systems do (so no "saving electricity for when you need it"), and you'd be wasting useful fuel crawling along in traffic.

It seems the problem with hybrids is no longer to do with the technology - it's to do with people who are so prejudiced by the "Prius effect" that they're unprepared to accept any benefits of the systems.

Can they use the electric motor from the front wheels to have better traction when turning the car at high speeds(as most hybrids systems turn off at high speeds), as some past sports cars had 4 wheel steering that was only active at high speeds?

Looks like a fat lenthend GT86 to me , they can do better and if it dont have atleast 350 to 400hp its a faliure in my book. i think they need to aim for 370Z type territory atleast.

They probably will drop an engine that produces 300-400 HP, and run it in conjunction with a hybrid motor.

Hopefully they learned lessons of the TS030 don't go to waste.

Supra successor confirmed for production
GT 86 chief engineer Tetsuya Tada has confirmed Toyota President Akio Toyoda has asked him to "make a successor to the Supra as soon as possible."
Speaking with Asia One, Tada said the company has approved two new sports cars which will be positioned above and below the GT 86. Tada already confirmed one of them will be the Supra revival, but the other remains a bit of a mystery. Speculation suggests it could be an MR-2 successor.
A timetable hasn't been set, but Tada said "The GT 86 needed five years to develop, so at least five years is required for the others." The Supra successor will take priority, so the entry-level sports car is likely a ways off.
WorldCarFans

Back