Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Very rough (and not even the proper Castrol livery) but I'm bored of red and black so here:
3pNKGhE.jpg

Ah there it is, I like how it looks. It's actually quite mean in racing spec and now it really reminds me of the FT-1 Vision GT concept. Welcome back Toyota Supra!

The concept looks like a mish mash of GT4 bodywork , GT3 wing and GTE rear diffuser.

I find it hard to say if that's the case or not, and not knowing what year this car is slated for race wise, it may come during a GTE rule shift. Also we've only heard suggested ideas of what will power the road version. Since it is GTE and since they can use waivers, if need be, or use an engine in their fleet that isn't purely based on the road car alone they could easily have a fighter of a car. Probably in the same vein of thought as Porsche RSRs
It's not even on the same par as the GT-R in terms of power, and probably a lot cheaper too. Not sure it would leap frog it in terms of racing class.

It’s not GTE, its not GT500, it’s not GT3, it’s not GT4. It’s just kind of a classless thing. Therefore it will be Gr.X when it comes to Gran Turismo, expect it to be there so you don’t disappoint yourselves.

It’s not GTE, its not GT500, it’s not GT3, it’s not GT4. It’s just kind of a classless thing. Therefore it will be Gr.X when it comes to Gran Turismo, expect it to be there so you don’t disappoint yourselves.

There are already plenty of made up Gr.3 racers in GTS, i don't see why this one not being real would stop it from being shoe-horned into the group. Having said that, we already have the Gr.3 Supra in the form of the FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo.

There are already plenty of made up Gr.3 racers in GTS, i don't see why this one not being real would stop it from being shoe-horned into the group. Having said that, we already have the Gr.3 Supra in the form of the FT-1 Vision Gran Turismo.

The difference there being all of those PD originals are purpose built for GT3 regs, this new Toyota isn’t, and PD can’t change the concept to conform to those regulations because it isn’t their design.

The difference there being all of those PD originals are purpose built for GT3 regs, this new Toyota isn’t, and PD can’t change the concept to conform to those regulations because it isn’t their design.

How do you know that it wasn't designed hand in hand with PD to their Gr.3 regs? - They (Toyota) haven't said it designed with any other race series in mind. It's only a concept.

It's not even on the same par as the GT-R in terms of power, and probably a lot cheaper too. Not sure it would leap frog it in terms of racing class.

Once again, I'll ask, how do you know? We're talking about a category where teams have run stuff that isn't even a specification of their road going version. Considering Toyota have as much to offer in endurance set ups...they could easily be a challenge once the car is set up, if that is in fact the way they go as has been suggested.

Once again, I'll ask, how do you know? We're talking about a category where teams have run stuff that isn't even a specification of their road going version. Considering Toyota have as much to offer in endurance set ups...they could easily be a challenge once the car is set up, if that is in fact the way they go as has been suggested.
Hey guys, wasn't the BMW Z4 in the GTE class or am I remembering incorrectly?
I mean, if the Z4 could be in GTE while the road version not being able to compete with its road version GTE rivals. Then, I don't see why Toyota couldn't do the same thing with the Supra if the Supra in road form is around Z4 level in terms of performance.

Hey guys, wasn't the BMW Z4 in the GTE class or am I remembering incorrectly?
I mean, if the Z4 could be in GTE while the road version not being able to compete with its road version GTE rivals. Then, I don't see why Toyota couldn't do the same thing with the Supra if the Supra in road form is around Z4 level in terms of performance.

Which is the point of my post, also BMW isn't the only one to have done this in recent years

How do you know that it wasn't designed hand in hand with PD to their Gr.3 regs? - They (Toyota) haven't said it designed with any other race series in mind. It's only a concept.
Spoke to Tetsuya Tada at Geneva. Official line is that they've not decided on a series yet, but it'll probably be raced properly at some point. It'd be the perfect platform for several existing series.

Spoke to Tetsuya Tada at Geneva. Official line is that they've not decided on a series yet, but it'll probably be raced properly at some point. It'd be the perfect platform for several existing series.

It looks close to both LMGTE and GT3 spec (unsurprising since they're fairly close anyway) rather than, say, Super GT. So i guess they could go either way or both at some point, depending on whether they (Toyota) stick around in LMP1 or not.

Underwhelming would be putting it lightly. The new Supra is a car we've had for four years. If the FT-1 was the Supra concept, then they could've at least made the final product different enough like how the 86 was from the FT86.

BMW originally reached their M6 in GTE and GT3 so I don't see why Toyota can't do the same. They could probably take some aero off and race it in GT4 too like the R8 and AMG GT.

So it's not a real race car, and it's not the production road car.

I wonder if they were planning to reveal the actual road car and then had to abort for some reason, cobbling the race car together around a quasi-final shell (no need for an interior) instead.

Last edited:
Looks like it might not be until next year:

Why does this keep happening? They did it with the FR-S too. We all know how sales are lacking on the NSX because Honda took forever. You think they would learn. People are going to be tired of it by then.

Didn’t affect the GT-R, though, on the opposite end which took 5 years from the ‘01 concept to the production in late 2006.

By now, it seems pretty customary for the Japanese to take their time to build exactly what they want.

The NSX suffered because Honda couldn’t even figure out where they going to put the engine.

BMW originally reached their M6 in GTE and GT3 so I don't see why Toyota can't do the same. They could probably take some aero off and race it in GT4 too like the R8 and AMG GT.
I definitely see it in GT4. The 86 is homologated for GT4, but I've only seen versions of those raced in Thailand GT series.

Back