Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
Speaking about the Supra dimensions. This is nteresting:

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1805-gr-supra-racing-concepts-digital-debut/

gr-supra-racing-concept.jpg

Automakers have long realized having their products featured in major racing games is a cornerstone of their overall marketing strategy, and over time have increasingly incorporated video games into their launch plans.

Considering this article is talking about car from a brand which thinks “Realistic Video Games Make Cars Unnecessary”, this quote is extremely ironic.

EDIT: That point has been brought up later on in the article... I should probably read the whole thing first. :lol:

At this point, it's gonna look dated by the time you can finally buy one in a dealership. They're never gonna fully reveal the car it seems.

At this point, it's gonna look dated by the time you can finally buy one in a dealership. They're never gonna fully reveal the car it seems.

We’ve literally seen the car testing for less than 2 years but yes it’ll look dated

:lol: hahaha, I really did not see that coming.

EDIT: Seriously though, the Toyota Supra being a NASCAR is absolutely hilarious.

Last edited:
Yeah this has been in the making for a few months, the original news was linked in the NASCAR thread so I'm surprised many here are caught off guard by this. However considering that sports cars are all that are used by the series other manufactures after 2018, this is a logical move. Even if it doesn't look that great, and for those trying to gleam an idea for what the real car will look like from this...it's so warped it isn't worth the attempt.

Look at how far off the Camaro cup car looks from the actual car it is suppose to "represent". Rumor is they just recycled the current Camary design and tweaked it to look like the future Supra silhouette wise

That supra nascar is a joke, atleast with the other models they are a more boxy design that fits the shape of the stock car atleast at the front, the supra though looks as stupid as a ferrari nascar if they made one.

That supra nascar is a joke, atleast with the other models they are a more boxy design that fits the shape of the stock car atleast at the front, the supra though looks as stupid as a ferrari nascar if they made one.
Exactly. It would be the same as putting 86 nose on it. Just wrong.

Plus, the NASCAR world got to see the Mustang/Challenger cars first, in the 2nd tier series.
Anyway, cars look different on TV. We'll see.

Except the Roof and Pillars, if you know the regulations.

That's not his point though, the car isn't a TCR or BTCC touring, GT4, where they actually use more of the car it came from. The engine at times is much similar to the car it came from with those, and isn't a tube chassis/composite body V8 only (NASCAR) or carbon mono tub near prototype vehicle with I4 turbo only. Those series aren't stock series at all and rather are a marketing ploy to bolster a brand and certain vehicle with in it.

I knew the regulations when I made that comment. I stand by it. DTM and Super GT still putting on a charade under Class One like NASCAR did until about 15 years ago doesn't make them any more relevant to the actual road cars they are pretending to be than this car is.

Last edited:
That's not his point though, the car isn't a TCR or BTCC touring, GT4, where they actually use more of the car it came from. The engine at times is much similar to the car it came from with those, and isn't a tube chassis/composite body V8 only (NASCAR) or carbon mono tub near prototype vehicle with I4 turbo only. Those series aren't stock series at all and rather are a marketing ploy to bolster a brand and certain vehicle with in it.
I get it, but you can't honestly look at that Supra Stock car with a straight face, it doesn't work for the application at all.

I get it, but you can't honestly look at that Supra Stock car with a straight face, it doesn't work for the application at all.

Neither do the other options as I've already stated to a slight extent. Only reason it was done is because it is a sports car and those others cars will probably be its real world road competitors, more so mid range I'm guessing.

Should Toyota USA have used a Lexus like Japan has in SGT? The RC F or LC500, may have been a better fit if that's what Toyota are promoting. Or as was pointed out, does this mean the Supra will be in that Mustang/Camaro price range?

This I doubt, I'm expecting the A90 to be more or less around AMG/M/S monies territory.

Based on? One it's not a Lexus so it's hard to imagine Toyota trying to command that pricing especially for what we currently know. Two Toyota found it necessary to use this model as a silhouette, against a camaro mock and mustang mock, which would indicate that is who its real world competition is. Also the Mustang and Camaro scale a wide range of pricing from 25k all the way up to 75k USD.

Well Toyota already has the joint partnership with Subaru that gave Toyota the 86, which is their current entry level sports car. With that part of the market covered it isn't unreasonable to think the new Supra will be a mid-range model around the base price of 30-40k. Given the NASCAR and Racing Concept models it is clear Toyota wants the Supra to be an affordable and viable option. Going higher than a mid range price would only serve to counter that marketing strategy.

There was a time, before Toyota went chasing Corvettes with the nameplate to the collective shrug of car magazines of the time and complete indifference to the buying public, when Toyota deliberately positioned the Supra as an upscale but still affordable alternative to the at the time terrible contemporary Mustang and Camaro. Now that you can get actually legitimately nice Mustangs and Camaros as those nameplates have adapted with the times as the market demanded them, it seems pointless to push the car into the range where it is fighting Porsches anyway.

Also, presumably Toyota would like to sell some of these this time after having it in development for half a decade.

Which Porsches though? The Supra will have a 4-cylinder variant. Porsche make a 4-cylinder for the 7-11 Cayman.
With Toyota in partnership with BMW, the Z4 will deal with that price range in that market. Supra seems like it'll cover the range from top of the line 86 to LC500.

Which Porsches though? The Supra will have a 4-cylinder variant. Porsche make a 4-cylinder for the 7-11 Cayman.
With Toyota in partnership with BMW, the Z4 will deal with that price range in that market. Supra seems like it'll cover the range from top of the line 86 to LC500.

Which is the same range as the Mustang and Camaro.

Back