Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
There was an article that said the Supra's wheelbase will be smaller than the 86's.

So using this picture, I used the rim size to estimate lengths.

View attachment 751523

I then found this picture of the rim size which is 19 inches.

image-from-ios-12.jpg

This means the new Supra has a wheelbase of about 85.5 inches, a total length of 133 inches, and a height a little over 38 inches. In comparison, the 86 has a wheelbase of 101.2 inches, a total length of 166.9 inches, and a height of 50.6 inches. The 4th gen Supra has a wheelbase of 100.4 inches, a total length of 177.7 inches, and a height of 50.2 inches.
Not sure why nobody called you out on this mistake, but you measured the new Supra's height from the bottom of its body, not from the ground. Cars' heights are measured from the ground.

I'm still not sure what this car is going to compete against. I realize the US isn't the only market for this, but in the US the 370Z doesn't sell worth a crap compared to the Mustang and Camaro, both of which outperform it in every aspect while also being larger and more practical.

Last edited:
Speaking to a friend from Toyota, he told me the pricing is still up in the air, but the general assumption there is that it’ll still be $50-60,000 and he acknowledges that with the reported performance, it’s not going do very well outside of the diehard Supra guys who want the name and first year buyers; they’ve already gotten feedback from the Supra community that the car is underwhelming so far. They’re hoping people will change their mind when they find out how it drives.

I asked if we’ll see anything new for production-spec and he said it all depends on BMW. He’s told they’re going to debut the platform first before the end of the year and we’ll see Toyota follow up early 2019 per agreements made between the two. He believes we should see the full interior when the car is finally revealed.

Tends to happen when the car is ancient.
And it's ancient not because it sells like hotcakes regardless, but because if they update it they'll never make their money back.

We'll see how this Supra sells. It seems like a really strange idea to me. A watered-down version of the Lexus LC seems like something Toyota could actually sell next to a Mustang, and actually make some money on.

When the 86 came out, people were buying small hatches and Suvs. The only other low-end couoe-like car on the market, is the Hyundai.

With the Mustang selling out here in Australia, that Supra, if priced right, looks like another win for 2-door cars. I think it'll do good. Depending on supply, I wonder if it'll see better numbers that the MX-5.

Just looking though past articles.
Those documents from ZF also indicate that the Supra will get a four-cylinder option, too. Specifically, BMW's turbocharged, 2.0-liter codenamed B48B20, which will make 262 hp. Toyota has been reluctant to confirm this engine, but at Goodwood, Tada told us it's a reality. He noted this engine is lighter and offers better weight distribution, and, it's the perfect platform for engine swaps, since it's cheaper. So if you're gonna put a 2JZ in this new Supra, start with the four-cylinder.
I still think we'll see V8 swaps, Rotary, SR20, blah blah blah, when it's on the market.

Toyota will make a lighter weight track focused Surpa but it will not have more power
Gazoo Racing chief and father of the new 2019 Toyota Supra, Tetsuya Tada, has confirmed that a stripped-out, track-focused version is already part of his plan for the reborn sports car, co-developed with the new BMW Z4. Expect it to be called the Supra GRMN.

At some point I would like to make a track-limited Supra with less weight. We’re already making a racing version so we know if you take out 100kg it’s a completely different car – you don’t even need any more power,” Tada told us. Question is, will it be road-legal or a track-only toy? “We’re investigating both avenues, there’s always a trade-off because being road-legal brings restrictions.”

Tada fleshed out the details on his desire to take the car racing, too. - Tada says the blossoming LM GTE category is being looked at – potentially pitting the Supra against the Ford GT, Ferrari 488, Aston Vantage, Porsche 911 and others.

For the road car, the Supra’s targets are less lofty: “The Porsche Cayman has been our dynamic benchmark from the start,” says Tada. “The Cayman has the advantage with its engine positioning but I’ve driven the cars back-to-back on track and we’re definitely in the same zone.”

Although there are no concrete facts about the Supra’s spec yet, we do know it will use BMW engines and gearboxes – likely to be a 3.0-litre straight-six with around 300bhp and an eight-speed auto. “We stuck with front engine because of feel and control. We know how to control a front-engine car, we already have that capability. In the planning stages we suggested a mid-engined layout and BMW was happy to go with it, but I took the idea to Akio Toyoda and he told me off.”

So what’s changed in a company once renowned for its risk adversity, that means a family of sports cars, including track-focused derivatives, is now an essentially part of the recipe? “What’s changed is what Toyota sees as success. We were pursuing numbers and profit margins, which are still important, but we’ve started to appreciate the value different cars can bring to customers,” Tada explains.

“It all started when Akio took the reigns. Numbers are one thing, but it’s the feeling that matters.”

TopGear.com

Could be a good thing for buyers. The Japanese are usually pretty good at knocking down prices when they start removing key comforts from the cars.

First drive reviews are out

https://jalopnik.com/2019-toyota-supra-the-king-is-back-and-good-enough-to-1829117407

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-supra-first-drive-review/

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/supra-coupe-2019/first-drive

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/supra-coupe/

It uses the same engine as the BMW, 3 liter inline 6 that produces roughly 350 bhp. It's a front mid-engine setup. The transmission is also BMW's. The interior also looks like BMW's, but it may be a preproduction version. It weighs less than 1500 kg. 90% of the development was on public roads, not tracks. It's supposed to rival the Porsche Cayman

Last edited:
I'm sure Chris Harris is going to put this car sideways.

Look how small it is.

supra.png

Sound of the car inside.

Last edited:
I feel like the Supra is already due for a facelift since the design is technically 4 years old.

It also sounds terrible and artificial/synthetic, based on the videos above. I'm sure they have some very clever sound generating scheme.

The Supra looks smaller in real life according to the Dutch car reviewer (first youtube clip in my previous post)

..but then they remembered that they had the MR2 and so if they're going to be making a new mid engine'd car they should probably call it that instead. Right?

MR2 ($$) doesn't cash in on nostalgia quite as much as Supra ($$$$$).

I have to admit, now that I see the videos, it sort of feels like a BMW with a Toyota badge on it. I mean, like Toyota only did the design. When I hear the engine, I can#t help but think "Why not save some cash and go for a secondhand M2 instead?"... Slightly dissappointing, but maybe it's brilliant and it's K.

I have to admit, now that I see the videos, it sort of feels like a BMW with a Toyota badge on it. I mean, like Toyota only did the design. When I hear the engine, I can#t help but think "Why not save some cash and go for a secondhand M2 instead?"... Slightly dissappointing, but maybe it's brilliant and it's K.
The engine is the heart of the car, but that flat-4 in the GT 86, is it still a Toyota?
The Supra is more than a rebdged Z4. It may not quite be in house like a 370Z. Yet, it's more than headlight trim and different wheel covers.
I'm not sticking up for the car, even though I dig it, just putting it into perspective.

Some new infos about the new Supra:

You'll be able to pre-order the car in a similar manner as with the Yaris GRMN from 2nd October 2018.
All data and prices will be revealed on the 14th January at the Detroit Motor Show.
Production start will be the 7th March 2019 and first deliveries will be done in September 2019.
Prices: around 50000€

First batch of cars will be limited to 900 for all of Europe, due to capacity issues in the production side in Austria.

Last edited:
I wonder what kind of deposit is required to pre-order. Could give an idea to the final price depending on the amount. At 50,000 euros though, that's around $60,000. I really hope there's more to this car than the performance figures suggest or really stands out. $60,000 can buy you a lot of performance in the US; that's GT350 money.

Pre-ordering seems to be the norm these days. :P

Pre-ordering a car you have never seen IRL and never test drove it? Why would you do something that stupid?

I wonder what kind of deposit is required to pre-order. Could give an idea to the final price depending on the amount. At 50,000 euros though, that's around $60,000. I really hope there's more to this car than the performance figures suggest or really stands out. $60,000 can buy you a lot of performance in the US; that's GT350 money.

Same as with the Yaris GRMN - 1000€

The front of this thing is staaarrrting to grow on me...

The problem is the body still doesnt have the right proportions to look even sporty, let alone like a supra replacement.

Sad part is this is starting price supposedly, so it better be worth it if that's what it starts at. I'd hate to see what the highest trim price is considering it would probably be at or above GT500 money, and that provides even more performance obviously. Then there are a host of other cars I could think of for around 70-85k (if that's the highest trim level price) that give you luxury and performance seemingly above what we've been told so far for the Supra.

Last edited:
Sad part is this is starting price supposedly, so it better be worth it if that's what it starts at, I'd hate to see what the highest trim price is considering it would probably be at or above GT500 money, and that provides even more performance obviously. Then there are a host of other cars I could think of for around 70-85k (if that's the highest trim level price) that give you luxury and performance seemingly above what we've been told so far for the Supra.
The Supra might as well be D.O.A. if it gets above $70K and isn't pushing in the ballpark of 500Hp for the US. May do better overseas where the horsepower wars aren't as prominent, but that price range is RC-F territory. To me, that would seem embarrassing if the Supra gets into a pricing match with the RC-F and can't compete with it (the RC-F isn't exactly raved for its track prowess).

Back