Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
It does look kinda bad in the camo at the moment, but I think it'll look great when it's revealed.

3ccb668e374afe3c29a0265ee186b3b7.jpg

You can see the hips here.

Toyota-FT-1-rear-three-quarter.jpg

It does look kinda bad in the camo at the moment, but I think it'll look great when it's revealed.

Agreed, I think people will be surprised how many design features have been carried over from the FT-1.

The main concern is that the prototype appears to be smaller than the concept and MK4 Supra. But then again, haven't we had enough of cars being larger than their predecessor? :P

It just appears to have a shorter wheelbase and undersized tyres. With production spec wheels, it'll probably be pretty faithful - from that rear 3/4 at least - to the concept.

I think the Supra sharing the platform with the Z4 replacement means a lot of compromises in the styling from the original FT-1. It's highly unlikely this will be any bigger than the current 370Z. The old Z4 wasn't that big a car to begin with and it's likely the replacement will only be slightly bigger.

I can see it looking basic like the 86, just waiting to be customised. I've noticed the MX-5 has lots of air between the top of the front tyres and below the front fender. This has that look as well. Reminds me of the old Alfa Graduate and Z32 300ZX.

I think it'll be more in the neighborhood of $80,000-$110,000. It could be lower or higher than that, but I'm pretty sure that the Supra is going to be aimed at the GT-R & NSX.

I think it'll be more in the neighborhood of $80,000-$110,000. It could be lower or higher than that, but I'm pretty sure that the Supra is going to be aimed at the GT-R & NSX.

Is this still going to be a shared platform with the Z4? That seems like an enormous departure from the current Z4's market. Looking at the shots of the car wearing camo, it doesn't scream super-performance to me. It's kind of 370z looking. Those look like 17" wheels, tops. Of course, I could be totally off. It seemed the Supra was killed the first time around because it became too expensive. Would Toyota step back into that same spot again?

Is this still going to be a shared platform with the Z4? That seems like an enormous departure from the current Z4's market.
Yes, but I also figured that it would be aimed at a higher performance class based on what I've seen the Supra being compared with in the past despite sharing platforms with the Z4.

Anyway, I'm thinking about it more and I think I made have made a mistake with my guesses.

I don't think it will be that much. I'm betting high 30s (base) for the Toyota and upper 40s for the BM.

That's optimistic for considering the car is picking up after the MKIV which sold at 40k USD back in the day, and that's close to 50-60K realm that @05XR8 was thinking. I feel 60-70K maybe slightly less on a good day will be the true MSRP. Clearly time will show who is right, but going based on what it is and how they build it will have a big drive on the price tag.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-toyota-supra-performance-news-specs/
A guess at around Stingray money $55k

http://www.motoring.com.au/confirmed-toyota-ft-1-is-next-supra-41509
A guess at less than an LF-A $100k

I think it would be odd to market the price so close to an 86. Even 10grand above an 86 is close.
If the Supra is thought to be a more refined sport coupe compared to a Mustang, pricing it under that or close to it, may be a bargain, but it doesn't bring exclusivity. Unless, Toyota DO want it to sell in 86 numbers.

I highly doubt this will push the boundary of $100,000, but I don't want to rule out being around $50,000 either. The size of this car must be really well hidden because it does anything but give off the vibe of a car in that price range. The added info about the car having a hybrid 6-cylinder with 470HP+ though, builds some credibility as Toyota will already be pricing the relative LC500 in the $80K+ range with identical power output in a V8 & luxury amenities.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2018-toyota-supra-performance-news-specs/
A guess at around Stingray money $55k

http://www.motoring.com.au/confirmed-toyota-ft-1-is-next-supra-41509
A guess at less than an LF-A $100k

I think it would be odd to market the price so close to an 86. Even 10grand above an 86 is close.
If the Supra is thought to be a more refined sport coupe compared to a Mustang, pricing it under that or close to it, may be a bargain, but it doesn't bring exclusivity. Unless, Toyota DO want it to sell in 86 numbers.

I doubt I'd see a japanese 2 door performance car pushing close to 500 horsepower with hybrid bits running 32k USD, which is what I can get a new GT for and out run many things. Now if we're talking 350/350R then I can understand that part of your post.

However, this is Toyota, they don't need to sell these like 86s because, they'll be aiming at a certain group for one. And two they make plenty off their other cars to float this thing for a few years before calling it quits.

Being based on the Z4, I'd think it would be a rival to the Cayman & 370Z. I read the Cayman GT4 is in the $80kUS range. Teslas are up there too. Combining those two to make a base model to a top spec hybrid sports car in today's market. $50k-$80k seems a more gradual jump than $30k-$80k.

We needs more info.

Being based on the Z4, I'd think it would be a rival to the Cayman & 370Z. I read the Cayman GT4 is in the $80kUS range. Teslas are up there too. Combining those two to make a base model to a top spec hybrid sports car in today's market. $50k-$80k seems a more gradual jump than $30k-$80k.

We needs more info.

Yeah GT4 is around that on a good day. As for the range that's why I say and agree $50-55K is easily starting price, and why it will never be even around Mustang GT pricing which is much less than that. I can see this car being something of a bargain for those wanting a hybrid performance car without going over 100K

Then again GM make it work all the time by starting at one end and then ending up just shy of a 100K on the other end.

Supra concept to be shown at '17 Tokyo auto show
Toyota-Supra-Concept-Rendering_edit1.jpg

But that won’t be the case in 2017, in large part because of one debut: the Toyota Supra concept.

The Supra concept leads a show-car trio from Toyota that also will include, according to the Japanese magazine Best Car, Toyota’s S-FR and Corolla GTI concepts. We first saw the next-generation Supra’s design direction when the company unveiled its FT-1 concept in
January 2014, and the final product will take strong styling hints from that car, as the rendering published here shows. The final design is a collaboration between Toyota’s headquarters in Toyota City and the company’s Calty studio, located in California.
Car and Driver

Back