Toyota Supra (A90)

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 2,724 comments
If it's the size of a 370Z or the current Z4, it's going to look short and stubby. If its the size of a Corvette, there's a bit more room.

Last edited:
New renderings courtesy of SupraMKV
supra-white-jpg.1131

supra-white2-jpg.1132
I think that looks really good. The rear could be less angry, but I'd be satisfied with such a design.

The rendering makes the car look way too tall. The gap between the tires and the wheel well is part of the problem, along with the front fascia's overall height. The rear half of the car should be stretched to smooth out the roofline, which looks like it could be chopped an inch lower. The rest of the car needs to be widened slightly to give it the appearance of being firmly planted on the ground. That's my take on the car.

Toyota has been doing some really weird things with their cars front ends, the overly aggressive looks of the new Camry and Corolla models have ruined their looks tbh. For them to be going for a soft design for their supercar would be extremely strange when almost all their current car designs feature striking front appearances now.

The rear is like a more aggressive Lexus IS but the front is hideious, but overall this car should be called a Celica the performance is not going to be close to what you would expect the Supra to be at the width of the car and it being based on a Z4 will tell you that right away.

nahh that be the pig that was the Mk3.

They just need to slap a Supra badge on the ft1 and call it a day.
Yeah but the Mk3 was still a big step up in performance and class.

This car is smaller and more resembles a Celica.

Yeah but the Mk3 was still a big step up in performance and class.

This car is smaller and more resembles a Celica.

Still a total pig and looked down on in the supra community like the mk2 stang.

MKIV is not a big car.

IMAG1059.jpg

Yeah because cars have naturally grown since the 90s(especially in Width), the Supra hasn't had a newer model to replace it to show the growth. Even though that picture is lies as the Supra is still wider and longer then the 86 by a decent margin(the picture isn't in the centre so what would you expect)
86:
Length 4,240 mm (166.9 in)
Width 1,775 mm (69.9 in)
Mk4 Supra:
Length 4,515 mm (177.8 in) (1993–1998)
4,514 mm (177.7 in) (1999–2002)
Width 1,811 mm (71.3 in)

I mean the last gen Celica that came out was larger then the BMW Z3 which was sold at the same time, now the evolved version of that makes the base for the current Supra seems strange.

SVX
I don't think you could really call the MK.V the Pintostang of Supras because it'll still be considerably faster than any of it's predecessors.
Yeah thats a given because sports cars in general have gained soo much power and performance since then, but if it where to maintain the level of the Mk4 for its time period it should be Nissan GT-R level, but being based on a BMW Z4 that's not going to happen.

Even though that picture is lies
Well you can't really see about 1.5 inches of difference in the photo, and since the cars are facing the camera you can't see the length difference either.
but if it where to maintain the level of the Mk4 for its time period it should be Nissan GT-R level
True, however if they go for slightly less power, less complex system and sell it for much cheaper, they'll sell a crap ton of them.

I personally don't think these renderings will do the actual sheet-metal car justice. Toyota has proven they can make very good-looking cars in the past, and I hope that it'll remain the same.

The prototype in this video sounds like it's got a turbocharged inline-4 under the hood (same as the Z5 later on)

The prototype in this video sounds like it's got a turbocharged inline-4 under the hood (same as the Z5 later on)

That engine is nice, and the car looks very well proportioned. Handles great on snow too it would seem. :D

I dunno if it's just me, or does that look like it has restricted rear visibility, as well as very minimal blindspot visibility?

So perhaps a turbo-4 base model and a hybrid turbo-6 flagship (with possible Gazoo branding) are going to be made available?

So as it seems the latest test mule seems to be using a GT86 body, you can just tell from the chassis. Although, my concern is the size, it's way to tall as rather than low and wide like the concept. If the final looks like this it's not good enough and much to be like another GT86.

The guy in the Test Mule car looks like Donald Trump. :D

toyota-ft1-supra.jpg

toyotagt86-sportscoupe-11.jpg

Toyota-Supra-005.jpg

Don't think it's an '86 body in disguise. Relationship of side window to roofline quite different. The length between the trailing edge of the front wheelarch and the leading edge of the windscreen is longer. The door shut is a different shape, both overhangs are longer, and some of the FT-1's details are quite apparent in the curves around the rear light.

They might be testing it on a GT86 platform, which would explain why the wheelbase looks quite short (though those wheels probably aren't production-spec), but I expect below the disguise the body is pretty much final. In fact, I'd be surprised if it isn't - styling is usually signed off years before development work is finished. The production Supra/whatever-it's-called was probably in clay models while the FT-1 was being shown at motor shows.

The snow mule proportions look good to me and the overall shape seems to be coming on nicely. I just hope the FT-1 detail translates to production as feasibly as possible.

Back