NFL General Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JFM92_GTRacer, Oct 5, 2006.

1. JFM92_GTRacer

JFM92_GTRacer

Thought it would be nice to have one thread to talk about the NFL. But only on the field things and not off the field issues.

Well, we'll start it off at Week 5. This week we got some tough games:

Bills at Bears (Bears looked awesome Sunday Night but Bills are suprisingly contenders in every game)
    Rams at Packers (My team goes on the Road and I still dont know if we can keep up what we've been doing.)
    Bucs at Saints (Saints looked great in the Superdome a week ago, can they do it again against a rookie QB? :lol: Is Simms even starting?)
    Skins at Giants (I like this game, but it looks like the Skins are clicking. Plus can the Giants rebound?)
    Jets at Jags (Mangini got the Jets in the right direction, but he needs to play it safe at times. Plus the Jags got off a tough OT loss)
    Raiders at Niners (A must see game. The Battle of the Bay!!)
    Cowboys at Eagles (We've been waiting for this one and now we got it!)
    Ravens at Broncos (Tough defensive game. Broncos are coming off of a bye week and a huge upset against the Pats.)

2. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

The Dolphins suck.

3. Zrow

Zrow Premium

:lol:

Well, I suppose if you're from around there.

4. Max Powers

Max Powers (Banned)

You seem to have forgotten the best game of the weekend being held between two AFC powerhouses, the Steelers and the Chargers. Phillip Rivers is gonna **** himself when he sees Joey Porter and the Steelers D coming after him, they'll be even more dominating than the Ratbirds' defense was against them last week.

Hopefully Worthlessberger gets himself together, he's been making some downright stupid throws this year, and the receivers aren't exactly helping him out with all of the dropped passes. It's a shame because the O-Line, Running Backs, and Defense are all playing great. Special teams also leaves much to be desired so far this season.

I like the Steelers 24-13 in a hard-fought game.

I think the Bears will mop the floor with the Bills, they have been the most dominating team in the NFL through the first 4 weeks. The offense is playing well, but I still have my doubts, and the defense is absolutely spectacular.

I hope the Broncos can pull off a win vs. the Ravens, it's definitely possible if they can put some points on the board, because despite of McNair's amazing comebacks, the Ravens offense isn't exactly explosive. They snuck with a win vs. the lowly Browns by 3 points already. On the other hand, if Denver can't get their offense going, Baltimore will stomp them into the ground. It should be a good one to watch.

5. Klostrophobic

Klostrophobic

The only thing worse than Sublime is the Steelers and their fans. I really, really, really like the Chargers and thought they were the best team not to make the playoffs last year--probably the third or fourth-best team in football last year; just a couple bad breaks kept them from winning more games.

Indy is favored by 19 god damn points over the Titans. This is such an easy bet. Indy by 40 and Jim Sorgi will get 20 passing attempts. Vince Young + no Travis Henry + Pacman Jones on Marvin Harrison = total annihilation. Bet the house on this one.

I haven't seen a Patriots home game in like three years.

Could the Bears be the best team in football? If this offense is for real, and an offense built around a good offense line, Muhsin Muhammad, Rex Grossman, and a two-headed running game might be pretty good, the Bears could be the favorites to win the Bowl. There is no doubting that defense is elite.

6. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Indy vs. Tenn? The smartest QB in the league vs. the dumbest? Ha.

Dwight Freeney is going to mushroom stamp Vince Young's face.

7. Max Powers

Max Powers (Banned)

Yeah, the Titans are downright awful this year, I think even the Raiders could beat them. Vince Young did show some promise in his first game, though, too bad it was ruined by interceptions and fumbles. Makes you wonder why they got rid of Volek.

Last week was a good one to bet on the Pats, they were giving them a 6 point spread against the Cincinnatti Bengals.

8. Kylehnat

Kylehnat Premium

Fortunately the Seahawks get to sit around another week and think about why they gave up 37 points to the Bears' "offense". Truly pathetic. Say what you will, but Grossman/Muhammed do not an offense make. They'll return to mediocrity soon enough.

This gets my early vote for worst and/or most irrelevant game of the year. But I may be jumping the gun. BTW, Raiders back-up QB, Marques Tuiasosopo, went to my high school (a few years before me, though my older sister knew him a bit while she was there).

9. Klostrophobic

Klostrophobic

Knew him a bit while he was there? Is that what they're calling it these days?

And regarding the Jaguars, is Reggie Williams for real?

Also, Marques Colston for Offensive Rookie of the Year. Dude didn't even play in Division 1-A last year.

10. Danoff

Danoff Premium

I'm interested in the Chargers-Steelers game and the Skins-Giants.

I'll take the Giants over the Skins and the Chargers over the Steelers.

11. Thundercat

Thundercat

Not as much as the Buccaneers! Well, at least they didn't loose last week!:tup:

12. JFM92_GTRacer

JFM92_GTRacer

Whoa, how'd I forget that game?

But anyway, I got Chargers on that one. Ben's not playing well and their D is not doing so well also. Plus Rivers is looking good right now.

And yes, I'm from the Bay Area here in CA and it's gonna be a fun game to watch.

13. Kent

Kent Staff Emeritus

Saints are making me proud at the moment. :cheers:
    Last week was just as good despite being a loss... Just seeing them continue play after what seemed like the final nail in the coffin (which actually was the final nail). Was a fun game and showed great heart!
    Today's game isn't over but at 17-7 Saints winning, this game could be for the Saints... But you never know? (4:45 left in the 3rd).

Catch you all later, watching the game now! :cheers:

Edit: Instants later... :censored: Tampa's big pass and redzone... TD. :( Later.

14. Max Powers

Max Powers (Banned)

The Redskins offense is killing me today for my fantasy team, I started Portis and Moss after they both had big games against a stingy Jacksonville defense, but now they can't even score a touchdown against the Giants.

15. Kent

Kent Staff Emeritus

Well I'm happy as a puppy with two...

Saints Win!!!

Suprising game and a big punt return for Bush.
    Glad to see the team held things together. :tup:
    Coach Peyton gets some credit for today's game, he really seemed to get Tampa's coach angry.

In any case, great games today so far. Now let's see what happens with TO and Philly.

16. Klostrophobic

Klostrophobic

No doubt. What a frustrating team; almost as bad as the Giants. Just so inconsistent.

And the Bears! 40 god damn points. I have to think this offense is for real.

17. Max Powers

Max Powers (Banned)

My prediction is that John Madden mentions Brett Favre at least twice during the Steelers game.

Madden about Willie Parker: "Look at those moves, he made moves on moves, then stumbled on his moves!"

18. Speedy Samurai

Speedy Samurai Premium

The raiders suck! Even the niners made them look inept. But, I guess the raiders do a good enough job of looking inept by themselves. Nice drop, lamont jordan (your name doesn't deserve capitalization!)

19. Danoff

Danoff Premium

The colts? Where were they? Not playing against the Titans that's for sure.

Nice TD run by Vince.

20. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

I am loving this season. My Rams are winning. It's sloppy but they are winning.

Before yesterday I would have picked Indy and Chicago for the Super Bowl but if Indy can struggle against the Titans then what happens when they have a bad game against a good team? They showed they could bleed this weekend and all it takles is another team to decide to show they can be beaten, and historically that has happened in the post-season.

The Bears are a whole different story. They look solid. I doubt they will go undefeated but they are definiteley impressing me.

21. JFM92_GTRacer

JFM92_GTRacer

Not bad of a week for me. I got 13 out of 14 picks and a couple of my dad's co workers had the first ever perfect week in the pool.

Sucks that Vince and the Titans didnt beat Manning at Indy but awesome that the Rams won. Also there was a lot of criticism about the Giants D, yet they played perfect against the Skins. Anyway...

Week 6
    Bye weeks: Browns, Packers, Colts, Vikings, Patriots, Jaguars

Giants at Falcons (I like how the Giants played against the Skins and somehow think they can beat the Falcons. Also the Falcons get back John Abraham and Hartwell this week)

Panthers at Ravens (I am confident that the Ravens can pull this off but who knows?)

Bills at Lions (I'm going for the Lions at home. JP is still struggling)

Eagles at Saints (Pretty awesome the Saints are 4-1, they get a huge test against the Eagles this week.)

Seahawks at Rams (Hopefully I get to watch this game. Me and Foolkiller look foward to this game. We need Bulger to get a little smarter with some of his throws and the D to step up at home.)

Bengals at Bucs (Growdkoski, or whatever his name is, had some decent numbers against the Saints. Plus Caddillac got his first 100 yd game I believe.)

22. Kylehnat

Kylehnat Premium

I don't understand how the Seahawks (minus their primary safeties) can keep Steve Smith to 5 yards in a playoff game, yet they can never stop Tory Holt, who burns them in every single game.

A win is a win, though :D.

23. Max Powers

Max Powers (Banned)

What a day! The Bungles got exposed by the Bucs, and the Steelers are completely wiping the floor with Kansas City, looks like the AFC North is gonna be shook up.

24. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Righto. Torry Holt played an amazing game, no joke.

edit: Man, even though the Dolphins didn't win, Joey Harrington is 4x better than Dante Culpepper.

25. Kylehnat

Kylehnat Premium

Miami quarterback controversy: "Harrington or Culpepper? Um, are there any other choices?"

Speaking of quarterbacks...On the subject of Jake Plummer, John Madden drops a classic line:
    "He’s not a very accurate quarterback, and he’s not a very consistent quarterback, but he’s a winner."

:lol: Genius. Pure genius.

26. FoolKiller

FoolKiller Premium

Because Tory Holt is Tory Holt, not Steve Smith. While Steve Smith is actually on my fantasy team I prefer Tory Holt, but was wary of the Rams with new coaching and so many personnel changes.

No kidding. Where's the third string?

Oh well, my Rams got beaten by teh Seahawks, but it was by a field goal. If a loss is by one field goal then I believe that you can't blame offense or defense. Better offense could have meant a field goal wasn't enough and better defense could have meant a field goal wasn't an option or might not have been enough.

Is it just me or do the Rams lose to a lot of last minute field goals? Anyway, this goes to strengthen my theory that a kicker is an incredibly important player on a team that wants to win games more than they care about putting up amazing stats.

27. Klostrophobic

Klostrophobic

Joey Harrington has looked pretty good to me. Although he really missed a wide-open Wes Welker on the final passing play of the game.

And why would anyone even attempt a 62-yard field goal? Just throw up a bomb into the endzone. TJ Houshmanwhatever, Chad Johnson and Chris Henry can't run down the field and jump over a 5'10" cornerback?

28. Danoff

Danoff Premium

A good week for the saints - taking out Philly. I'm no eagles fan, and I was happy to see the saints take them down. I think Philly is a fairly weak team despite what people have been saying about them. They lost to the Giants, who aren't exactly hot so far this season, and they came out weak against Green Bay (granted they had injuries). I've been looking for someone to help put the Eagles in their place and the Saints came up strong.

Funny how the Saints can lose to Carolina and then beat the Eagles. Carolina is turning things around, though, beating Baltimore pretty convincingly.

29. JFM92_GTRacer

JFM92_GTRacer

Bengals shoulda won that game if it wasn't for the bad call. The league agreed with the offical's call because they didnt want to start a big issue. Roughing the passer? HA, that tackle is football. It's not a sissy league.

Also the hat tricks by my boy Holt and Owens. Plus 4 tds by LT for fantasy heads ;)

30. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

I'm really liking the Saints, actually. I think they're doing a great job. Too bad the IDIOTS at Miami's management passed on Brees. Huizenga's business with Waste Management seeped waste management into the Dolphins' organization as soon as shula left. :lol:

My only hope if we continue to lose is that we can score a baller-ass QB in the draft or something. We need dope QB's and a better secondary.