• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 16 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
The 2019-2020 National Hockey League season was going along nicely. All of 2019 was played well with the kind of amazing action only the NHL can provide. The year 2020 went along nicely as well... until COVID-19/Coronavirus happened. This then led to having more questions than answers as to how to play out the remainder of the season. Or perhaps SHOULD the season continue? There was later a plan to have teams play in "Hub Cities" to help extend the NHL season. Rather than play out the rest of the season, it was Playoffs time. So teams that were struggling and had no playoff hopes were eliminated. There would still be the quest for Lord Stanley's Cup as teams battled among themselves in the NHL's "bubble." In the end, it came down to the Dallas Stars and the Tampa Bay Lightning to determine who hoists the Stanley Cup in 2020. It was the Tampa Bay Lightning that became the NHL champions for this most unusual season.

With tonight being the 2020 NHL Draft, I will open this thread for you hockey fans in discussing the 2020-2021 season of NHL hockey. Unlike most ESPN shows which seem to pretend the NHL doesn't exist, this is a true home for true hockey fans to discuss all the goings on in the NHL. So bring your passion. Bring your love for your favorite team(s). Let's talk NHL for 2020-2021!

Say it ain't so! Mike "Doc" Emrick recently announced he is retiring from broadcasting. Let's be honest- no one calls hockey games quite like Doc Emrick. It's going to be sad not hearing him call games anymore. He's GOAT ("greatest of all time" for the pop culture impaired) material for sure. I certainly wish Doc Emrick the best in his retirement.

The National Hockey League is reportedly looking at starting the 2020-2021 season on January 13, 2021. A 52-56 game schedule is being considered. The NHL and NHLPA will likely pen a deal together sometime this week.

A few more details are being ironed out for the 2020-2021 season. All I have been hearing is that this season will begin on January 13, 2021; and it will be about a 56-game regular season. I do want to check out as much of the upcoming season as I can. Tampa Bay is the defending champs. I'm kind of hoping the Detroit Red Wings can maybe make small steps to return to their former glory. I'll also maybe look at the St. Louis Blues, New York Rangers, and Washington Capitals.

Hope you hockey fans get to enjoy whatever NHL action happens this season!

Just a reminder... the 2021 NHL season begins this Wednesday. Here are the games to be played on Opening Night (COVID-19/Coronavirus issues pending):

* PIT Penguins at PHI Flyers (NBCSN)
* MON Canadiens at TOR Maple Leafs
* CHI Blackhawks at TB Lightning (NBCSN) <<< TB defending champions
* VAN Canucks at EDM Oilers
* STL Blues at COL Avalanche (NBCSN)

As I just read on Yahoo! Sports, NHL on NBC analyst Mike Milbury was let go. Replacing Milbury is another Mike- Mike Babcock. M. Milbury received criticism for sexist comments he made once. So things will be a LOT different commentary wise. First "Doc" Emrick retired, then Mike Milbury is ousted.

Can't wait to drop the puck on a new season!

I haven't updated this thread much, but the NHL is still going on for 2020-2021. Honest! We got two outdoor games this weekend. Today at 3:00 PM Eastern, the Vegas Golden Knights will meet the Colorado Avalanche in Lake Tahoe in Stateline, Nevada. Tomorrow will see The Philadelphia Flyers vs. the Boston Bruins also at Lake Tahoe. Both games will be on NBC and/or the NBC networks.

Enjoy all the NHL action!

Some people criticized the NHL on its handling of the outdoor game at Lake Tahoe this past weekend. The game played one period followed by an over nine-hour delay as the ice was melting in the Nevada sun. The game played at around Midnight Eastern Time. The other game was moved up but managed to get through.

On right now as of the time of this post is the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Washington Capitals. The game is on NBCSN, and the Penguins currently lead 1-0 with 5:20 left in the 1st Period.

So do you wish the National Hockey League would return to ESPN/ABC? Well, guess what? It's coming back starting in the 2021-2022 season! That's right! The NHL and Disney reached a seven-year deal. So you will now get to see NHL hockey on ESPN/ABC along with the NBC games. So now ESPN/ABC can't pretend the NHL doesn't exist anymore. The deal begins starting with the 2021-2022 season of the NHL. I just hope they return with that lovely ESPN National Hockey Night intro. More details on the deal are here: https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-...gue-reach-groundbreaking-long-term-agreement/ .

The Buffalo Sabres are experiencing what the NBA's Houston Rockets recently endured- a brutally long losing streak. While the Houston Rockets snapped their 20-game losing streak, the Buffalo Sabres have endured their own long losing streak at currently 17 straight losses. Buffalo's next game is hosting the Philadelphia Flyers. They'll have three chances to snap their losing funk when they host the Flyers for three straight nights starting tomorrow night. They can either snap that streak, or bump it up to a 20-straight loss streak. Buffalo's skid of 17 games currently is a new franchise record for longest losing streak.

The longest losing streak in NHL history is 18 games, set by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the 2003-2004 season. So a loss tomorrow night will tie the 2003-2004 Penguins for the longest losing streak, and two more losses will give them the longest losing streak in NHL history. Hopefully the Sabres can put this losing streak in the rear view SOON.

Last night, the Buffalo Sabres played a good game through two periods, leading 3-0 over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. Afterwards? Try three unanswered Flyers goals in the 3rd Period, followed by a fourth goal in Overtime by Philadelphia. Buffalo not only lost 4-3, but they also extended their losing streak to 18 games, tying the NHL record for the longest losing streak. Buffalo is now 6-23-5 on the 2020-2021 NHL season. They hold the league's worst record this season.

The Buffalo Sabres prevented making history for the WRONG reasons with a resounding 6-1 victory over the visiting Philadelphia Flyers. Maybe blowing a 3-0 lead in their last game motivated Buffalo to get mad. Buffalo would have had the longest losing streak in NHL history had they lost. They instead tie the longest losing streak in NHL history at 18 than surpass it. Congratulations, Buffalo!

The NHL isn't dead. Honest! I just have not updated things often, which I do apologize for. The Stanley Cup Playoffs for the 2020-2021 are underway as of right now. The matches are as follows. I noted the brackets by their quadrants:

--- Top-Left Quadrant ---
* TOR Maple Leafs vs. MON Canadiens
* EDM Oilers vs. WPG Jets

--- Bottom-Left Quadrant ---
* COL Avalanches vs. St. Louis Blues
* VGK Golden Knights vs. MIN Wild

--- Top-Right Quadrant ---
* PIT Penguins vs. NY Islanders
* WAS Capitals vs. BOS Bruins

--- Bottom-Right Quadrant ---
* CAR Hurricanes vs. NSH Predators
* FLA Panthers vs. TB Lightning

Congratulations to all who made it this far, and enjoy the Postseason! One of these teams will be hoisting the beautiful Stanley Cup at season's end and become champions.

I feel bad for not updating the NHL thread. So let me change that.

Here is the progress of the Stanley Cup Playoffs right now.

--- DIVISIONAL SEMIFINALS ---
* NYI won their series against PIT 4-2.
* BOS won their series against WAS 4-1.
* COL won their series against STL 4-0.
* VGK won their series against MIN 4-3.
* MON won their series against TOR 4-3.
* WPG won their series against EDM 4-0.
* CAR won their series against NSH 4-2.
* TB won their series against FLA 4-2.

--- DIVISIONAL FINALS ---
* NYI won their series against BOS 4-2.
* VGK won their series against COL 4-2.
* MON won their series against WPG 4-0.
* TB won their series against CAR 4-1.

--- STANLEY CUP SEMIFINALS ---
* TB and NYI are tied in their series 1-1 currently.
* VGK and MON are tied in their series 1-1 currently.

That's the briefing. Enjoy some NHL hockey!

Last edited:
Ladies and gentlemen, our 2020-2021 Stanley Cup Final is SET! Competing for Lord Stanley's Cup is this match:

Montreal Canadiens vs. Tampa Bay Lightning

The Champion this season will either be from America or Canada. Who you got winning, and (optional) in how many games?

Last night, the Tampa Bay Lightning won their 2nd successive Stanley Cup, defeating the Montréal Canadiens 1-0. Tampa Bay took the series in five games. Some of us are probably thinking, "did this actually happen?" A lot of us have basically acted like hockey doesn't exist. Well, when ESPN/ABC get their hockey deal together starting next season or so, maybe some people will start caring more. Hockey is still one of the four major sports in America.

Semi-rant aside, all congratulations to Tampa Bay on their triumph. Also... "here is your winner, and STILL Stanley Cup Champions- the Tampa Bay Lightning!"

Back