Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

It could happen. Now that Nissan acquired Mitsubishi and there is rumors that the next Evo will be a crossover, it could be a joint project between the two companies.
I actually quite like the idea of an Evo crossover, not least because they've already done it in the past with stuff like the Airtrek Turbo-R. (I suppose a Forester STi is a similar thing). Still think a Z crossover would be a bit odd, but not necessarily a concept I'm against as long as there is some sort of proper sports car on the way too.

It could happen. Now that Nissan acquired Mitsubishi and there is rumors that the next Evo will be a crossover, it could be a joint project between the two companies.

Like @homeforsummer , I would be more okay with an Evo branded crossover than a high-riding Z. 💡

I feel, once the Z went up in engine size, it kinda lost me. Even though the car is short, the 3L was enough. If Nissan make a 380Z, it might have to go a notch when/if the XZ drops. Something similar to this @10:00

I feel, once the Z went up in engine size, it kinda lost me. Even though the car is short, the 3L was enough. If Nissan make a 380Z, it might have to go a notch when/if the XZ drops. Something similar to this @10:00

I don't think they'll go any further than 3.7L. If anything they might downsize. And give it the 3.0L TT the Infiniti Q60 has.

Nissan don't seem the type to reuse a past nomenclature. 300Z would be like they're going backwards. I do like the thought of that 3.0TT though.

Another thought, is the Z branching off to a possible crossover, similar to when the Sklyline and GT-R branched off? I don't know why there needed to be a split. The Skyline GT-R was rwd from the onset.

Another thought, is the Z branching off to a possible crossover, similar to when the Sklyline and GT-R branched off?
Skyline was the Infiniti G35/G37 and now Q50. (though they show the Q50 with Infiniti badging on their website)
I would just call it the Nissan Z or Z Coupe.
I think that is what they had said they would likely do.

One thing that I don't get is how they would be able to find room among the current crop of crossovers for another one. There are 5 on sale in the US right now, 6 in the near future. At some point, enough is enough.

One thing that I don't get is how they would be able to find room among the current crop of crossovers for another one. There are 5 on sale in the US right now, 6 in the near future. At some point, enough is enough.
Maybe available to some markets? Like the Mazda CX-4 is in China only.

I guess in Nissan's scheme, they have so many sedans, the cross over can be offered in different sizes as well.

I guess in Nissan's scheme, they have so many sedans, the cross over can be offered in different sizes as well.
Yeah but, between the Armada, Pathfinder, Murano, Rogue and Juke, there really is nowhere in-between for it. In the next year or so, one of those might drop off and two others will join, so that makes it even tougher.

I like the Juke. If the Zx :sly: is going to be more
potent than a Juke Nismo (from those pics it looks like what an RX-8 could have evolved to), it may be in a class* by itself, again.

*unless that Mitsubishi Rally Raid thing could be a more off-road twin.

Just call it the 400Z(X) in spite of the 3.0L engine, like BMW.

Or maybe the numeric figure could refer to power instead of displacement, as the latter is becoming further and further removed from performance indication.

-> Heres a new article today at Carscoops:

Carscoops
Nissan Still Hasn't Given Up On The IDx Sports Car
JAN 21, 2017 AT 1:02 PM | BY BRAD ANDERSON

Back in November 2013, Nissan revealed the unique IDx sports car concepts to the world. Adorned in retro-styled bodywork, the IDx seemed primed to tackle the Toyota 86 and Mazda MX-5 in the affordable sports car market.
hasn’t been built. However, the Japanese marque has revealed that it still has interest in bringing the sports car to the market.

While speaking to Motoring at the Detroit Auto Show, Nissan chief designer Shiro Nakamura said that the automaker is still exploring the possibility of a production version - despite some company officials saying otherwise in the past.

“It’s a nice car and nice design. I cannot say anything more than that. We are exploring many opportunities and that is one of the opportunities that we are exploring. Unfortunately, I cannot say anything more than that,” he said.

At the vehicle’s launch, Nissan said that the IDx catered towards young and middle-aged buyers and mentioned it could be fitted with a compact naturally-aspirated 1.6-liter engine delivering around 150 hp.

^ This gave me an idea. Since Nissan-Renault (& Mitsubishi?) are already experts in platform-sharing (see their Trucks & CUVs), I came up with this list (also posted in CS) so the ID platform is not a waste of money:

- Datsun ID-Go/510 (shortened ID platform) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 135hp [USDM Sentra]

- Dongfeng-Nissan/Venucia C50 (Datsun ID-Go) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 135hp [USDM Sentra]

- Lada Riva C/VAZ 2205 (Datsun ID-Go) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 135hp [USDM Sentra]
- Lada Riva C Lada Sport/VAZ 2205 Sport (Datsun ID-Go) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 190hp [USDM Juke SV]

- Mitsubishi Starion GSR (extended Nissan Z [2+2 seats]) = VR30DDTT 3.0L V6 Turbo, 360hp [Infiniti Q60 3.0t]
- Mitsubishi Starion MR (extended Nissan Z [2+2 seats]) = VR30DDTT 3.0L V6 Turbo, 420hp [Infiniti Q60 Red Sport]

- Nissan 1800 Roadster/Datsun/Roadster 1800 (Datsun ID-Go 2-seater) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 145hp [USDM Sentra]
- Nissan Turbo Roadster/Datsun/Roadster Turbo (Datsun ID-Go 2-seater) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 190hp [USDM Juke SV]

- Nissan Foria 1.8 SV (Datsun ID-Go) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 150hp [USDM Sentra]

- Nissan Silvia SE/200SX LE (regular ID platform) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 150hp [USDM Sentra]
- Nissan Silvia Spec-S/200SX SE (regular ID platform) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 200hp [USDM Juke SV]
- Nissan Silvia Spec-R/Nismo/200SX Nismo (regular ID platform) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 225hp [USDM Juke Nismo RS]
- Nissan Silvia Spec-R Aero/Nismo RS/200SX Nismo RS (regular ID platform) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 250hp [USDM Juke Nismo RS]

- Nissan Fairlady Z/300ZX (modified ID platform) = VR30DDTT 3.0L V6 Turbo, 340hp [Infiniti Q60 3.0t]
- Nissan Fairlady Z/300ZX Nismo (modified ID platform) = VR30DDTT 3.0L V6 Turbo, 405hp [Infiniti Q60 Red Sport]

- Renault Fuego GTS (extended ID platform) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 150hp [USDM Sentra]
- Renault Fuego RS 200 (extended ID platform) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 200hp [USDM Juke SV]
- Renault Fuego RS 250 Trophy-R (extended ID platform) = MR16DDT 1.6L I4 Turbo, 250hp [USDM Juke Nismo RS]

- Samsung CM2 1.8 GTe (Renault Fuego) = MRA8DE 1.8L I4, 135hp [USDM Sentra]

^ It covers every base in every marque in different parts of the world.

:)

Last edited:
150hp, NA, 2-door sedan. I can see that as a $25kAUD car in the Australian market. It would undercut the 86 by about $5k. Hopefully it would be lighter as well.

Wouldn't be hopeful on the IDx still. I suspect Nakamura is pushing for it, but I've spoken to him, and asked him about the IDx twice now, and he's said both times that it's very unlikely to make production. I suspect he just wants to drum up interest for the brand.

-> ...
150hp, NA, 2-door sedan. I can see that as a $25kAUD car in the Australian market. It would undercut the 86 by about $5k. Hopefully it would be lighter as well.
^ That would be the Nissan Foria version. Concept version below:

Nissan-Foria_Concept-2005-ig.jpg

-> This version would be a more Global-market friendly alternative than the 3rd-world version known as the ID-Go.

=====

-> Just in case if everyone is confused on which these different cars will play out:

Base Price (High-Low):
- Starion
- 300ZX
- Fuego
- Silvia
- Roadster
- Foria
- CM2
- Riva C
- ID-Go
- C50

Size (Biggest-Smallest):
- Fuego / CM2
- Silvia / 200SX
- Starion
- 300ZX
- ID-Go / Foria / Riva C / C50
- Roadster

Country Designation:
Global
300ZX
200SX
Roadster
Starion

Regional
Fuego (EU/Europe)

Global (Developing)

Foria (where Datsun isn't available)
ID-Go

Local

C50 (China)
CM2 (Korea)
Riva C (Russia)
Silvia (Japan)

Body Style:
Coupe
ID-Go / Riva C / C50
Silvia / 200SX / Onevia* / Fuevia*
Foria

Fastback
Fairlady Z / 300ZX
Starion
Fuego / CM2 / 180SX* / Sileighty* / 200SX* / Silgo*

Convertible*
Roadster
Silvia (Varietta)

Sedan / 4-Door Coupe*
ID-Go / Riva C / C50
Foria

Design Inspirations & Cues

Datsun ID-Go / Lada Riva C 2205 / Venucia C50:
Nissan-IDx-Freeflow-Concept-front-three-quarters.jpg

0701_z%2B1968_datsun_510%2Bcorner.jpg

Lada%2B2105%2B11.jpg

- Same basic shape of the 510 & 2105
- Mostly IDx design cues
- Will hide its affordablity with its innovative design
- 4-door a good lucrative option

Nissan Foria: (blue car seen above)
- A slightly rebody version of the ID-Go
- Curvier cues compared to the ID-Go
- Blue car design can be diregarded in favor to the ID-Go design
- Suicide or 4-door a good lucrative option
- Perfect SF-R rival

Nissan Roadster series:
372711-1000-0@2x.jpg

- Modern version of the 2000 Roadster above
- Even shorter that the ID-Go
- 2-seats
- Perfect MX-5 / 124 rival

Nissan Silvia / 200SX:
68440570.jpg

jzd1nmn8760v

- Styling combination of the CSP311 & S15
- Size must be similar to the S15
- Varietta convertible possible
- Perfect 86 & BRZ rival

Mitsubishi Starion:
ms4wds.jpg

- Modern version of the 4WD Gr.B Prototype above
- Slightly bigger than the Z
- Excellent 2er/M2 & 718 rival
- A 2+2 version of the Z
- Still RWD
- The most expensive version of the ID platform
- Mitsubishi NEEDS a flagship vehicle fast, or keep the ship sinking

Renault Fuego / Samsung CM2:
renault-fuego-gta-max-1991-178000-km-caseros_80df0.jpg

- Modern version of the GTA Max above
- A Grand Touring option compared to the Silvia
- Like the Z & Starion, this will be a fastback hatch
- Heavier than the Silvia
- May be a successor to the 180SX in Japan & 200SX Hatch in US
- A true 4-seater

^ I'm not bothering the Z since its design will be consistent.

:)

Last edited:
This is getting as bad as Mazda's on, off, on, off, on, off plans for another Rotary powered sports car.
Only I don't think Nissan has ever actually been absolutely positive they'll build the IDx. The article above is one of those non-news stories where someone essentially says "it'd be fun to do" but makes no firm commitment in any direction.

Only I don't think Nissan has ever actually been absolutely positive they'll build the IDx. The article above is one of those non-news stories where someone essentially says "it'd be fun to do" but makes no firm commitment in any direction.
We need a new Z car first, then they can worry about the IDx.

I'll third that. A low prices 3-box won't leave the showroom with these CUVs running around. I don't know if Nissan want to play the low volume game in that 2+2 segment though.

A low-priced Z would be the key.

The next Z to ne shown at the Tokyo auto show and to have 3 powertrains
NissanZConcept.jpg

The first major step will be taken at the Tokyo auto show this fall, where Nissan will reveal the next-generation Z concept, a preview of the production car said to offer several potent powertrains.

As this artist’s impression from Japan’s Best Car magazine shows, it is expected that the new Z concept and production car will have similar proportions to the outgoing coupe. The Z will also adopt an edgier styling language, including a gaping front end that takes cues from the latest GT-R facelift, and will ride on a shorter wheelbase courtesy of the Infiniti Q60’s FR-L platform.

Of the three powertrains on offer, the flagship twin-turbocharged 3.0-liter V-6, borrowed from the Infiniti Q60 Red Sport, is said to punch out a healthy 400 horsepower at 6400 rpm and 350 lb-ft of torque at 1600 rpm; it will be mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. If this version lives up to those expectations, it could put the Nissan toe to toe with rivals such as Porsche’s 718 Boxster S and BMW’s M2.

In addition to the entry-level 3.0-liter V-6, generating 300 horsepower and 295 lb-ft, we also hear that Nissan is working on a hybridized model to be introduced later that could make the Z the most powerful in its class. It is expected to employ the same 3.0-liter V-6, teamed with a dual-clutch gearbox and an electric motor producing as much as 160 horses. One source told us that this model’s total output could reach an eye-popping 500 horsepower. The new Z is expected to land in showrooms by 2019, with the base model priced in the low-$30,000 range and the twin-turbo nearing $50K.
Car and Driver

Ugh, the first two sound good (except for no mention of a 6MT) but who cares about a hybrid model. What is really needed is a super entry level model with a turbo-4.

Back