Nissan hints to a new RWD sportscar?

Leonidae@MFT

MFT Crash Test Dummie
Premium
Finland
Riverside, Ca
GTP_Leonidae_MFT
Source

197bhp 1.6 turbo from Nismo Juke? RWD? Lighter and smaller than Z? Sounds like the return of S-chassis to me.. đź’ˇ

I honestly think that the Esflow looks horrible. They should make this new "Silvia" like the old S13/S14 with modern safety features and performance.

The ESFLOW(S-FLOW? as in a return of the S?) looks horrid and only 197-200hp? I say, 270+hp or don't bother at all Nissan, not that my opinion really matters haha!

wwar79.jpg

Remember these? These weren't too great either, but I prefer them over this tragedy concept.
294jmnb.jpg

6gism9.jpg

I honestly think that the Esflow looks horrible. They should make this new "Silvia" like the old S13/S14 with modern safety features and performance.

You mean an ultra generic 80/90's shape? Because that reflects the current design language of Nissan :rolleyes:

You mean an ultra generic 80/90's shape? Because that reflects the current design language of Nissan :rolleyes:
I'd love that personally, and the shape was a big part of the charm on those cars, but you are totally right. Outside JDM fans & some sports car fans, not gonna fly.

Never seen this Silvia Concept, or ESFLOW, but they both look really nice, at least to me. đź‘Ť

The ESFLOW(S-FLOW? as in a return of the S?) looks horrid and only 197-200hp? I say, 270+hp or don't bother at all Nissan, not that my opinion really matters haha!

wwar79.jpg
No this looks like a S chassis.

If the rumours of the new Z going smaller and lighter are true, I certainly don't see Nissan tossing 270HP into a Silvia replacement; it'd be punching too closely to the Fairlady.

I'd love that personally, and the shape was a big part of the charm on those cars, but you are totally right. Outside JDM fans & some sports car fans, not gonna fly.

Never seen this Silvia Concept, or ESFLOW, but they both look really nice, at least to me. đź‘Ť

Oh, I'm not hating on the wedge shape. Hell, I still miss my old AW11 and there is an SVX in the family I wouldn't mind fixing up once I'm in a career. More just over people who refuse to realize that those designs are 20 years old and should stay in the past :P

The front end on the ESFLOW is a bit too busy, but the general shape is nice and it will no doubt be refined down if production ever happens.

The ESFLOW(S-FLOW? as in a return of the S?) looks horrid and only 197-200hp? I say, 270+hp or don't bother at all Nissan

Out of interest, why?

It's the GT86 conundrum. Give it more power, and you have to give it better brakes, bigger wheels and tyres, all that sort of stuff, which pushes the weight and price up.

I'd rather they keep it simple - low weight, modest power and nice styling. People who want more power have the aftermarket option; people who don't need that much power shouldn't have to pay over the odds for it.

As for styling, the ESFLOW is likely to be more an idea of size and proportion than it is of styling direction.

You're correct Slip, plus the current mid class cars like the BRZ is not even near those numbers. Though if Nissan does come with a S chassis it will have to compete and compete well.

I'd rather they keep it simple - low weight, modest power and nice styling. People who want more power have the aftermarket option; people who don't need that much power shouldn't have to pay over the odds for it.
Very much agreed, horsepower is overrated.

I agree as well that there is no need to have all of that power. I know it's fun to have to show off but that all is being done showing off. Who has the bigger stick as they say.

Out of interest, why?

It's the GT86 conundrum. Give it more power, and you have to give it better brakes, bigger wheels and tyres, all that sort of stuff, which pushes the weight and price up.

As for styling, the ESFLOW is likely to be more an idea of size and proportion than it is of styling direction.

True.

To me, an all around affordable RWD with balance and power from the factory would be nice, especially for those like me, who've gone the upgrade path on a few vehicles in the past and aren't concerned with bolt-ons and/or uprgrades.

It would be more expensive and risky for Nissan, but I'm sure they've weighed the risks. A more powerful version of the Toyota/Subaru joint venture would do. 250-270hp would sit nicely below the 370Z, just like in the early-mid 90's. But perhaps that would be all the reason Nissan needs to avoid having that much power.

Of course, this is just the preference of an overall car fanatic/Nissan fan. My earlier statement "...or don't bother"....was too harsh and not to be considered as fact.

Chassis>engine. Better brilliant handling and a poor engine than a great engine and poor handling. That's why I generally don't like American cars.

Of course, this is just the preference of an overall car fanatic/Nissan fan. My earlier statement "...or don't bother"....was too harsh and not to be considered as fact.

Gotcha đź‘Ť

My own thinking is that if they make it light enough, and it's still turbocharged, it'll already be usefully quicker than the 86 through the extra low-down shove alone. Anywhere between 200-250 bhp would do it.

The taller, likely heavier, likely less aerodynamic and front-drive Nissan Juke Nismo (from where this 1.6 engine is likely to originate) gets to 60 in mid-sevens. You could easily get into the sixes without too much trouble in a sports car with the same engine and wouldn't have to pay over the odds either.

And of course, being turbocharged there'd be lots of room for aftermarket improvement.

I suppose my other line of thinking is something like, "why must it be quicker than previous Silvias?" The S15 was already displaying the same increase in size, and cost of most other cars, though admirably they always seemed to keep the weight around the 1200-1300 kg mark. With modern construction 1100-1200 wouldn't be out of the question.

Ive got to say, S-chassis seems more likely as they did revive the GTR34 to a great success and the Z-Chassis is still here. S -> Z -> R. S could and should be a Gt86 rival (straight 4 turbo) and Z should be the rumoured Supra replacements rival (maybe going V6 turbo) leaving the R to rival super cars globally (improved V8 twin turbo)

I think it would be kind of cool to see something come from Nissan with comparable performance to the Camaro Z28 and GT500 Mustang while also being in that price range.

I think it would be kind of cool to see something come from Nissan with comparable performance to the Camaro Z28 and GT500 Mustang while also being in that price range.

Which has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread, what with a 4 cylinder turbo model, so... just another excuse to bring up Ford?

Can't believe someone hasn't made a 86 competitor with something closer to 300hp. They could have stolen so many sales.

Which has nothing to do with what is being discussed in this thread, what with a 4 cylinder turbo model, so... just another excuse to bring up Ford?

Read the topic title.

I know what the thread is about. And I'm simply throwing an idea out there, which by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, but that's kind of a part of what a forum is used for. Using this as a reason to "bring up Ford" is simply ignorance on your part because you don't like that I'm Ford biased. Seriously who cares. Way to drag this off topic.

Please, can we get back on topic here?

Back to my other statement that Azuremen seems to have an issue with, it's cool to see that something like this is coming out but I feel like there isn't enough competition from the import market to give Ford, Chevy and Dodge a run for their money against their respective cars. I'd much rather see Nissan focus on something like that then work with something like this. Somewhat similar to how Toyota was making the Supra way back and the Fox/SN-95 was still out.

The easy answer is the same reason nobody goes up against the Big Three in the full-size truck market; it's a pointless battle. Even Toyota has essentially given up with the Tundra; it has its own small set of loyal buyers, sure, but it will always sell a fraction of what even the Ram manages.

The same would apply to Nissan or Toyota targeting the pony cars. Nissan's probably attacked the closest, with the 370Z, but I don't think you'll ever see a non-American company toe the price/model lineup that the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger have, because even if they did, they'd be in a market filled with biased folks. Let's be serious, you'd only consider a Japanese pony car (over a Mustang) if it had the option to attach a blue oval on the nose.

This is obviously a giant aside to the long-established lineage at Nissan already ruling out such a possibility; there's no way a Silvia revival would be put in that category thanks to how close it'd run the Z. Targeting the media darling 86 is a much smarter move.

Brand loyalty, required sales volume and the price required make entering the pony car market financial suicide. It'd be cool but I can't see Nissan (or Toyota) making that decision in the near future.

Targeting the 86 is what they'd have to be doing. The car has been a ridiculous success and Nissan could really use a sports car line beneath the expensive Z. As an enthusiast, I'd love to see more and more of these low cost sports cars running around. If that's what this Nissan is, I'll be one of the first in line.

Can't believe someone hasn't made a 86 competitor with something closer to 300hp. They could have stolen so many sales.

Do you mean since the 86 came out, or in general?

If the former, the issue is the length of time it takes to develop a new model from scratch - around six years or so. Assuming most people caught wind of the 86 with the FT-86 concept in 2009 (as Nissan seemed to do), that still leaves a few more years before we're likely to see any other competitors. And that's if they started back in 2009.

If the latter, the problem is exactly the reason we've only just got the 86 itself - the global financial crisis nixed a lot of fun cars and we're only now seeing manufacturers throw caution to the wind again.

Of course, hidden option #3 is that we've sort of already had those 300 bhp 86 competitors. The Nissan 350Z was around that figure before the 370Z upped its game, as was the Porsche Cayman. You could even put something like the BMW 135i in that bracket.

The trouble with these is that they highlight the issue with giving something a bit more power in the first place, which is that they're heavier and bulkier to handle it and more expensive too, badge premium notwithstanding.

Back