Nissan Teases its Next Generation of Z Car, Could Arrive in 2021

Really wouldn't bet on Nissan releasing anything at this point. Chances are they're going out of business in the next 5 years. They're already an eastern branch of Renault, unrealiable and packing dated tech.

I would be hugely disappointed if it didn't have a name related to the capacity of the engine. It would be a hideous breakaway from the naming convention that has been in place since the inception of the 240Z back in the Datsun days.

Change it to arbitrary numbers and you're then no better than BMW... 114d, 116d, 118d 120d ALL powered by a 2.0 engine... *sigh*

I see that the headlights do not immediately date it to a mid-late 2000s Hip Hop music video.

I therefore am willing to believe they've done a good enough job here.

Really wouldn't bet on Nissan releasing anything at this point. Chances are they're going out of business in the next 5 years. They're already an eastern branch of Renault, unrealiable and packing dated tech.
They're not going anywhere and I wish people would stop acting like they know what is going on internally. Financially the company is stable.

Also, shouldn't we attach this news thread to the current thread for the car?

Last edited:
In a world where the cabin of current model cars feels like you are in a space ship and your infotainment screens are like really big ipads the interior of the 370z may seem like it's "dated" but when I sit in one I feel like the interior is "correct".

While it is my opinion and not a popular one. I prefer the "dated" interiors rather than this new stuff. I hate not having a physical button to actually work something. I really dislike the amount of electronics they put into a car to distract you from the fact that the car drives like crap, or is no fun. Worst is traction and stability control that can't be completely turned off. It is nice to have on the car for people who can't drive and I get that but you should always have the option to disable them completely.

angry old rant over. Lol

Very direct ties to the 240 / 280 era rear ends. I’m so in. :bowdown:

240z.jpg

280z.png

IMG_1276.jpg

Last edited:
In a world where the cabin of current model cars feels like you are in a space ship and your infotainment screens are like really big ipads the interior of the 370z may seem like it's "dated" but when I sit in one I feel like the interior is "correct".
It has a CD player.

It's more the materials and general layout though. There's acres of quite... middling black, textured plastic (the upper dash is heinous), there's silvered and really quite terrible plastic in most places as some sort of colour accent, and then the occasional thin veneer of leather over the top of pretty hard surfaces. The infotainment interface looks like a Yamaha keyboard for schools (in fact the whole thing does), and whoever decided that the door locking button needs to be in the same space as and thus balance the symmetry of, but be considerably larger than, the engine start/stop button needs a long, hard look at themselves.

20180322_140321.jpg

Generally speaking, the whole car is like stepping into 2005 as imagined in 1995. I actually quite like it though - it's a simple, but effective, fat-bottomed sports car.

Waiting for that ducktail rear spoiler. :)

I'd be happy with Fairlady Z. Other than that, if it's a 3.0L, go with 300Z. Aftermarket might make some 300Z(X) badges. ;)

It has a CD player.

It's more the materials and general layout though. There's acres of quite... middling black, textured plastic (the upper dash is heinous), there's silvered and really quite terrible plastic in most places as some sort of colour accent, and then the occasional thin veneer of leather over the top of pretty hard surfaces. The infotainment interface looks like a Yamaha keyboard for schools (in fact the whole thing does), and whoever decided that the door locking button needs to be in the same space as and thus balance the symmetry of, but be considerably larger than, the engine start/stop button needs a long, hard look at themselves.

View attachment 924924

Generally speaking, the whole car is like stepping into 2005 as imagined in 1995. I actually quite like it though - it's a simple, but effective, fat-bottomed sports car.

I can understand that. Not disagreeing with it either. I just prefer those era of cars more so than cars of today. I will say the BRZ/FRS/86 is the newest interior that I like. I feel like they kept it pretty simple but made enough effort to not make it too ugly also.

The textured plastic dash of the 350/370z can go in favour of some nicer materials for sure but everything else I feel comfortable with. Its the seats and peddle placement that I pay attention to the most in cars. Not saying that I ignore everything else but those are my most important interior things to look at for me.

I honestly would like a car with switches like my old Mini Cooper S had in it for various things.

I'm happy to see Nissan isn't abandoning the Z car. I was resigned to this being the last generation. Glad to see I was wrong.

Every Z has had a different name related to it's displacement except the Z31 and Z32 which were both called 300ZX. I really wish the Z32 had been called simply 300Z to show the break from the previous more-GT-than-sports-car 280ZX and 300 ZX.

The new Z will certainly be welcome, but also "noticed" the Note nameplate, which seems to indicate a return of the Versa Note. I rented the last gen Note while traveling, and while no sports car, was a really pleasant little runabout for running errands around town. Getting a new one based on the new Versa's design language would certainly be a welcome addition. So 2 cars I'm looking forward to from them.

The new Z will certainly be welcome, but also "noticed" the Note nameplate, which seems to indicate a return of the Versa Note. I rented the last gen Note while traveling, and while no sports car, was a really pleasant little runabout for running errands around town. Getting a new one based on the new Versa's design language would certainly be a welcome addition. So 2 cars I'm looking forward to from them.
Cars shown in the video are not all North American versions.

Nissan will disappoint, this is for sure. Heavy car with another VQ engine variant will surely be served up once again. Hey Nissan, give us a Turbo in-line six already, bring some competition to the fake BMW Supra.

Nissan will disappoint, this is for sure. Heavy car with another VQ engine variant will surely be served up once again. Hey Nissan, give us a Turbo in-line six already, bring some competition to the fake BMW Supra.
No.

Same chassis as 370Z (to save costs), same engine as Q50/Q60 (to save costs) and an updated design with better interior. Nissan does not have the development resources to make a new engine for a low volume car right now.

Back