Nissan Teases its Next Generation of Z Car, Could Arrive in 2021

It looks like it has a little BMW in it though...
2021-toyota-gr-supra-132-1581523768.jpg

Nissan will disappoint, this is for sure. Heavy car with another VQ engine variant will surely be served up once again. Hey Nissan, give us a Turbo in-line six already, bring some competition to the fake BMW Supra.
Supaboost vibes.

I actually have high hopes for the upcoming Z based on how it looks. Quite a modern looking shape that doesn't merely look evolutionary of the outgoing 370Z. Maybe I set the bar too low when it comes to Nissan.

Adjusted the image slightly.

View attachment 925086

Edit: For comparison:
04-370z-colors-img-sport-coupe-nba-01.jpg

The roofline of the two cars looks awfully similar. In light of that, I doubt new Z will sport a brand-new platform.

And that's not a bad thing, per se. The Z34 was an an excellent car when it was first introduced, and the platform can be molded into a dynamic Z35 that can fight the CLAR-based Supra on more-or-less equal footing.
All it needs is new styling (check), a modern, possibly turbocharged engine (like the VR30DDTT), and an interior that doesn't look it's stuck in the Noughties (which is something Nissan can apparently do but doesn't want, yet, to implement on production vehicles).

It's dead, Jim. No way Nissan has the spare cash to develop a new-gen GT-R right now.

In a world where the cabin of current model cars feels like you are in a space ship and your infotainment screens are like really big ipads the interior of the 370z may seem like it's "dated" but when I sit in one I feel like the interior is "correct".

While it is my opinion and not a popular one. I prefer the "dated" interiors rather than this new stuff. I hate not having a physical button to actually work something. I really dislike the amount of electronics they put into a car to distract you from the fact that the car drives like crap, or is no fun. Worst is traction and stability control that can't be completely turned off. It is nice to have on the car for people who can't drive and I get that but you should always have the option to disable them completely.

angry old rant over. Lol
I hate all the nanny stuff, lane assistance, brake assistance, camera etc, they have a purpose but I'll take the cheaper car that is without them when possible, spend than money on performance.

Why do you want an inline six, exactly? So the Z35 can be unnecessarily expensive, more poorly packaged, and heavier than it needs to be?

I would take an inline 6 for the sound, though any naturally aspirated six cylinder variation would do with 280+ HP. Though sadly not possible these days.

I would take an inline 6 for the sound, though any naturally aspirated six cylinder variation would do with 280+ HP. Though sadly not possible these days.

I don't think the VQ sounds particularly good as delivered, but the fact that its a V6 isn't the reason. The VQ series can sound absolutely incredible.

The beauty of the Nissan FMR platform and the V6 that defines it is the engine sits almost entirely behind the front axle centerline, something not really possible while trying to accommodate an inline 6. The nature of the V also usually means that the engine's CG is lower than an equivalent I6. I don't see a real advantage of the inline 6 other than production efficiencies (more easily made modular) and maybe smoothness, but neither of those make the car itself a better overall package.

The VQ series can sound absolutely incredible.
I don't see a real advantage of the inline 6 other than production efficiencies (more easily made modular) and maybe smoothness, but neither of those make the car itself a better overall package.

I will agree with that. I've seen some G37s around and they sounded surprisingly good, so there's not much to gain there.

The only reason people think the VQ sounds bad is because they only ever hear ones that have been straight piped by drift muppets. With some actual effort they can sound quite good actually.

Front end makes me think Aston for some reason. The kammtail rear is definitely aping the 240Z, but it looks a bit weird from that angle and it doesn't match the front end's more curvy design. Anyway it's still early days so a lot could change.

Unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see a modern reinterpretation of the 300ZX (Z32) design instead of endlessly parroting the 240Z.

Alternatively, they should bring back the Silvia nameplate as a 4 cyl rival to the 86/BRZ :P

As glad as I am that Nissan is likely sticking to the biggish capacity V6 in a basic but cheap coupe formula when most companies would be going down the 2ltr four pot route.

I’ll be holding out for the inevitable Renault Fuego badged version though. ;)

The beauty of the Nissan FMR platform and the V6 that defines it is the engine sits almost entirely behind the front axle centerline, something not really possible while trying to accommodate an inline 6.
AC did it with a 90" wheelbase.

14917555-1959-ac-ace-bristol-std.jpg

:P

And yes, that's a transverse leaf spring.

I prefer the 370 shape over the 350. Due to the 350 looks, to me, like a three-box design, as opposed to the 370 looks closer to the original 240 hatch.

Anyway, GT4 racer please.

I prefer the 370 shape over the 350. Due to the 350 looks, to me, like a three-box design, as opposed to the 370 looks closer to the original 240 hatch.

Anyway, GT4 racer please.
Yeah the 370 has better proportions I think, it's more cab-backward like the original Z, but the 350 had nicer detailing without some of the weirdly bulbous aspects and pointy lights of the 370.

Yeah the 370 has better proportions I think, it's more cab-backward like the original Z, but the 350 had nicer detailing without some of the weirdly bulbous aspects and pointy lights of the 370.

Sometimes I think the 370z is one of the better looking cars made in the last 15 years...

There's something nearly exotic about its proportions I think - from the side
9934eda6662e1f4271a43669c4f51a0e.jpg

But then you see it from the back and you just think ok...whaaaat?

wab7xzjnk50z.jpg

More than just the proportions, I always thought the 370z detailing was incredibly refined. Like the way a pillar, door, fender, and hood come together is very well resolved, and just overall care with how various elements are terminated or intersect. It looks like a high quality product...even if they obviously cut costs in the interior.

Edit: Another interpretation of what the 400z may look like, based on the silhouette images:
715718.jpg

I think I like it...but not 100% convinced. When you brighten the silhouette...it does start to get a little pudgy. But that's just how cars are now I suppose.

Last edited:
Sometimes I think the 370z is one of the better looking cars made in the last 15 years...

There's something nearly exotic about its proportions I think - from the side
9934eda6662e1f4271a43669c4f51a0e.jpg

But then you see it from the back and you just think ok...whaaaat?

wab7xzjnk50z.jpg

More than just the proportions, I always thought the 370z detailing was incredibly refined. Like the way a pillar, door, fender, and hood come together is very well resolved, and just overall care with how various elements are terminated or intersect. It looks like a high quality product...even if they obviously cut costs in the interior.

Edit: Another interpretation of what the 400z may look like, based on the silhouette images:
715718.jpg

I think I like it...but not 100% convinced. When you brighten the silhouette...it does start to get a little pudgy. But that's just how cars are now I suppose.
Again, to me, with the 370, I like the over fendered rear renders. The short and stubiness of the 370, reminds me of a 930/911 Turbo.

By some of the these renders, that nose is going be very significant to the overall design.

Hmm don't get the lack of love for the vq, but I did go with a full motordyne set up and love it. Motordyne to me tends to highlight the best parts of the vq sound without going overboard with the volume.

I agree about the 370 rear, but that can be fixed.

Have you seen the updated version of this car? It literally sounds like a V12 Aston at speed.

Yep. Been following his Z since, like 2009 when it was a stock car with custom made long tube headers:

Sasha is a mad genius and an OEM would do well to bring him onboard.

I can't say I like how the orange render looks. It has all the same problems as the new Supra - far too much sheetmetal above the front wheelarch, letterbox-sized windows, and a huge slab of uninterrupted metal surface under the window line with the rocker panel nearly scraping the ground. All of which make it look like a rolling pillbox that weighs comfortably over two tons. As a result the wheels look humorously small and to fix the situation even slightly it'll probably get a set of massive 20+ inchers which, combined with the short wheelbase, throw the general proportions off and make the general looks approach those of a caricature toy car.

The days of low, sleek sports cars seem to be long gone. Remembering them fondly.

Back