Nissan to expand the Nismo lineup

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 37 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
Automotive News
Nissan Motor Co., seeking traction for its Nismo performance tuner subbrand, is embarking on a massive global expansion to double the number of nameplates getting the Nismo treatment and deliver a sixfold increase in sales over the next five years.

The push could expand the line of Nismo offerings to new body types including crossovers, minivans and -- in the U.S. especially -- pickups. Nissan also wants to build a network of Nismo performance dealerships in the U.S. as special brand promotion centers and offer Nismo performance driving academies to U.S. consumers.

Nissan currently offers seven Nismo nameplates, including versions of the GT-R, Juke, 370Z and Sentra. It wants to double the number of nameplates by 2022, says Takao Katagiri, CEO of Nissan Motorsports International Co., the Nissan subsidiary overseeing Nismo.

Nissan aims to boost Nismo sales to 100,000 in the early 2020s, from 15,000 last year.

"Demand for these types of cars is about 5 to 10 percent of every market," Katagiri said at Nismo's global headquarters and r&d center near Nissan's head office in Yokohama.

"It's the same all over the world," he said. About 9 percent of Nissan Note hatchback sales in Japan are the Note e-Power Nismo hybrid version, he added.

Nismo sales reached 2,300 vehicles in the U.S. in the fiscal year ended March 31, down from 3,000 units the year before due to slowing sales of the aging Juke Nismo RS, Katagiri said. He expects sales to increase in the current year with the addition of the Sentra Nismo.

The U.S. and Europe hold the greatest potential for sales growth over the next couple of years, Katagiri said. But China, Southeast Asia and Latin America are possible markets.

Nissan will add body types, possibly including a Nismo pickup for the U.S., he said.

"We see potential in the expansion of categories," Katagiri said, adding that Nismo will begin targeting lifestyle vehicles beyond the Nismo mainstays in sedans, coupes and hatchbacks.

Select outlets will be tapped as Nismo performance dealers.

These shops will get special display areas, demo cars and special training for technicians. There are already 26 performance dealers in Japan but none yet overseas.

Nismo will broaden its lineup beyond its Nismo-appointed core models to include a top tier of high performance models and a lower rung of Nismo factory options, Katagiri said. Katagiri did not offer timelines or details for those plans.
Autonews.com

I fear this may go the "SS" route that Chevy screwed up several years ago.
Not only that, just think of Mazda trying to make their MPS/Mazdaspeed models, in the past. Now, they're scared of putting OEM/Factory performance parts in most of their current models. (Outside, of the Miata...)

But, to remain on-topic, Nissan needs to make some new engines, if they want to showcase NISMO into most of their cars. But, also need to save R&D costs. (I don't want Nissan to suffer near-bankruptcy, like they did in the late-90's.)

Renault may help them, to BUILD the engines, not supply them. Also, to be tuned, by NISMO. (and, maybe Renault Sport.) Heck, recycle some engines from Infiniti, and let NISMO modify them. (Same goes to Mercedes, since they're part of the Renault-Nissan Alliance. Maybe, AMG could help NISMO & Renault-Sport...idk)

(In a personal note, I would love to see a NISMO dealership in Maryland. Mostly, Baltimore.)

EDIT: (I know that, Mercedes is not part of the Alliance, yet collaborates with Nissan.)

Last edited:
Mercedes does collaborations with Nissan and they share some technology but they are not part of the alliance with Renault.
Oh, my fault. I've honestly thought that, Mercedes was in the Alliance, because of their collaborations with each other.

(Silly MotorWeek... Making me think that, Daimler was in the Renault-Nissan Alliance.)

I fear this may go the "SS" route that Chevy screwed up several years ago.

Screwed up how by making it watered down from what it once was at a chosen period in your mind? Which in reality isn't saying much because it's not too comparable considering Chevy/GM have always had more than one listing for a performance variant. Nismo as you know is a pretty much umbrella idea. You get a NISMO and you're expecting some sort of over arching performance that out does the norm. With an SS you're just expecting more than the norm but not to the same level that you get with a Z/28, 1LE. When Chevy brought over the Commodore (again) and named it the SS that to me struck what the idea of the SS badge is at its peak.

I'd say the V series is more closer to what I expect NISMO to be.

Screwed up how by making it watered down from what it once was at a chosen period in your mind?
By putting some fancy wheels on the car with a few aero accents and an SS badge with absolutely no added performance. That's how.

*cough*likethis*cough*

CHEVROLETMalibuSS-1915_2.jpg

By putting some fancy wheels on the car with a few aero accents and an SS badge with absolutely no added performance. That's how.

*cough*likethis*cough*

CHEVROLETMalibuSS-1915_2.jpg
No that's wrong, that car had 30 more horsepower than the next trim, revised sport suspension and the stuff you said. Plus other stuff that SS should have which is more touched up interior. I mean not everything can be a Camaro SS, and once again if you look at the history of Chevy many SS aren't, nor are they the fastest you can get (if we ignore Corvette).

The worry you seem to have is how Nismo watered down the new Sentra Nismo, in comparison to the SR Turbo. Which I think you feel will extend if it sells well to other marks in the brand.

Last edited:
The worry you seem to have is how Nismo watered down the new Sentra Nismo, in comparison to the SR Turbo. Which I think you feel will extend if it sells well to other marks in the brand.
Not like Nissan hasn't done it before with Nismo, they had the Frontier Nismo it was basic the same thing as the Sentra Nismo all they did was suspension, wheels and locking diff. It had no power increase.

They already put it on the Sentra. How much more worse can they make it?

Don't ask...
maxresdefault.jpg

Not like Nissan hasn't done it before with Nismo, they had the Frontier Nismo it was basic the same thing as the Sentra Nismo all they did was suspension, wheels and locking diff. It had no power increase.
That was the Nismo Off Road and I wouldn't exactly put it in the same realm as what they are producing now.

It feels like some of the Japanese brands are completely lost compared to what they where doing in the 90s.

Watered Down Nismo models just ruins it for when they decide they want to make a good Nismo.

I agree, this and the 370z Nismo were disappointing to me. The only NISMO I have seen that were good or great were from the 90s or the GT-R NISMO, the Juke NISMO GTR and Patrol Nismo

I agree, this and the 370z Nismo were disappointing to me. The only NISMO I have seen that were good or great were from the 90s or the GT-R NISMO, the Juke NISMO GTR and Patrol Nismo
Wait, you think the Patrol Nismo is great but the 370Z isn't? Right now the only ones deserving of the badge are the GT-R and 370Z...

Wait, you think the Patrol Nismo is great but the 370Z isn't? Right now the only ones deserving of the badge are the GT-R and 370Z...

Yes cause the Patrol actually was modified somewhat heavily to perform on the road and off road. If it were somewhat smaller it'd be fighting it out with the current line of performance suv. Which makes a bit more sense why it was sold exclusively where it was. What the 370z was given isn't all that different from what you complained about earlier in this thread, with a slightly less gain in horsepower. The revamp on the ECU makes me think you could tune it more aggressively if you wanted to risk it.

All that aside I don't find it nearly has the same jump in performance that the NISMO GT-R has from the GT-R.

Yes cause the Patrol actually was modified somewhat heavily to perform on the road and off road. If it were somewhat smaller it'd be fighting it out with the current line of performance suv. Which makes a bit more sense why it was sold exclusively where it was. What the 370z was given isn't all that different from what you complained about earlier in this thread, with a slightly less gain in horsepower. The revamp on the ECU makes me think you could tune it more aggressively if you wanted to risk it.

All that aside I don't find it nearly has the same jump in performance that the NISMO GT-R has from the GT-R.
There's not much more you can get out of a V6 that's already turning out 350hp N/A. And we're talking about upgrading a sports car that is already great, so you really don't need to do much to it. Same goes with the Patrol, it's always been good at off road stuff. The GT-R is their halo car so obviously it get's all the attention. If they are going to apply the Nismo treatment to something like a Sentra, then they need to put more effort in to make it great, or you get people going elsewhere for better cars. Like me.

There's not much more you can get out of a V6 that's already turning out 350hp N/A. And we're talking about upgrading a sports car that is already great, so you really don't need to do much to it. Same goes with the Patrol, it's always been good at off road stuff. The GT-R is their halo car so obviously it get's all the attention. If they are going to apply the Nismo treatment to something like a Sentra, then they need to put more effort in to make it great, or you get people going elsewhere for better cars. Like me.

Then you can do more else where, the idea of early NISMO that only has carried over through the GT-R is bring the race track to the road. I don't see much of that in the 370z. Also you can do plenty more to the engine to get more power. If a 2.3 4cyl with a turbo can safely run 350hp, then I don't see why a "performance tuned" v6 can't be barking closer toward 400 hp.

Then you can do more else where, the idea of early NISMO that only has carried over through the GT-R is bring the race track to the road. I don't see much of that in the 370z. Also you can do plenty more to the engine to get more power. If a 2.3 4cyl with a turbo can safely run 350hp, then I don't see why a "performance tuned" v6 can't be barking closer toward 400 hp.
^^^ Key words in bold there, turbo makes a huge difference. 350hp N/A V6 is great but any more than that you're borderline race engine that's too harsh to run on the street, let alone try and pass emissions with it. Hence why the VQ is on the way out. Time to replace it with the TT VR, just need a new car to put it in.

^^^ Key words in bold there, turbo makes a huge difference. 350hp N/A V6 is great but any more than that you're borderline race engine that's too harsh to run on the street, let alone try and pass emissions with it. Hence why the VQ is on the way out. Time to replace it with the TT VR, just need a new car to put it in.

Race engine? No, increase the bore, port and polish heads, revised headers, better injection, better crank, etc. I mean there is a number of things to be done, all they did from what I remember is update the exhaust for better flow, and a softer performance tune on the suspension.

Considering 10 years ago the same liter size engine was only able to eek on 265 hp, it's quite something that it now can pump out 350. The turbo on it makes a difference but to run that high of a power output safely for such a small engine is quite good. To have done this Ford actually would have had to put in work on their performance variant of the Focus, it's not as simple as strap a turbo on and crank up the boost to 30 and everything is peachy. I'll just come out and say it, Nissan/NISMO was lazy with the 370z variant.

Race engine? No, increase the bore, port and polish heads, revised headers, better injection, better crank, etc. I mean there is a number of things to be done, all they did from what I remember is update the exhaust for better flow, and a softer performance tune on the suspension.
You are assuming that the VQ37 isn't already tuned to the max. Nissan may have already done all that (remember the VQ started out life as a 3.0L) and now they are to the point where nothing more can be done from the factory without crossing serious NVH and emissions boundaries. Hell that engine is already an NVH nightmare.
Considering 10 years ago the same liter size engine was only able to eek on 265 hp, it's quite something that it now can pump out 350.
Exactly, and it's to the point where it can't go any further.
I'll just come out and say it, Nissan/NISMO was lazy with the 370z variant.
It could use some more creature comforts like power seats, but all else we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will make no argument about something like the Sentra Nismo, but the 370Z is certainly no disappointment.

You are assuming that the VQ37 isn't already tuned to the max. Nissan may have already done all that (remember the VQ started out life as a 3.0L) and now they are to the point where nothing more can be done from the factory without crossing serious NVH and emissions boundaries. Hell that engine is already an NVH nightmare.

No I'm not assuming it's based on what I've read, you don't have to work for Nissan to get info about Nissan spec stuff. Also the 3.0, isn't the same block as the VQHR stuff, and also even if it was you'd have been wrong considering there was a 4 liter variant of the 3.0.

Exactly, and it's to the point where it can't go any further.

Was talking about the RS, not the 370z. In the case of the 370z based VQ started out at 306hp and now at its peak is 350hp. The only time the Nismo 370z impressed me was the 380RS it's just too bad it was nation based only. Also why does it have to say N/A?

It could use some more creature comforts like power seats, but all else we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will make no argument about something like the Sentra Nismo, but the 370Z is certainly no disappointment.

I don't see how it isn't, I'd spend the money on something less expensive like a Mustang GT and get far more entertainment out of it. Also I've actually driven both so...maybe you can direct me to what I'm missing.

No I'm not assuming it's based on what I've read, you don't have to work for Nissan to get info about Nissan spec stuff. Also the 3.0, isn't the same block as the VQHR stuff, and also even if it was you'd have been wrong considering there was a 4 liter variant of the 3.0.
I was mainly talking about it's first release to the US market which was in the Maxima. Either way the it's still the same engine family so they are all related. The 4.0L is for truck/SUV applications only.
Was talking about the RS, not the 370z. In the case of the 370z based VQ started out at 306hp and now at its peak is 350hp. The only time the Nismo 370z impressed me was the 380RS it's just too bad it was nation based only. Also why does it have to say N/A?
The 380RS is great but we're talking about the VQ here, which in that car made 345hp despite it's minimal bump in displacement. Again, stretched about as far as it can go from the factory. As far as turbo, the VQ just wasn't designed for it from the start and to add it you would probably have to completely re-work the entire engine. Hence the new VR series replacing it.
I don't see how it isn't, I'd spend the money on something less expensive like a Mustang GT and get far more entertainment out of it.
You can make that argument for just about any car. For me, it's not a relevant answer.
Also I've actually driven both so...maybe you can direct me to what I'm missing.
Driven both what? Around town on city streets where you can only see a fraction of what they are capable of? Or in a closed environment where you can push the limits like I have?

I was mainly talking about it's first release to the US market which was in the Maxima. Either way the it's still the same engine family so they are all related. The 4.0L is for truck/SUV applications only.

Yes cause a truck applied engine hasn't ever found its way into a car before...or vice versa.

The 380RS is great but we're talking about the VQ here, which in that car made 345hp despite it's minimal bump in displacement. Again, stretched about as far as it can go from the factory. As far as turbo, the VQ just wasn't designed for it from the start and to add it you would probably have to completely re-work the entire engine. Hence the new VR series replacing it.

It was a detuned 350, and a different engine than the one we're talking about. So it wasn't as stretched as far as it could go. Also never said Turbo charging the VQ you could supercharge the engine and not face much worries.

You can make that argument for just about any car. For me, it's not a relevant answer.

How is it not, if I'm getting a NISMO I'd expect performance on level with others in its class, not something in the same class that is cheaper and performs better. That's been a big problem with the 370 since it came out, and the Nismo never fixed or helped remedy any of that.

Driven both what? Around town on city streets where you can only see a fraction of what they are capable of? Or in a closed environment where you can push the limits like I have?

Driven them both around the city and desolate back roads between Phoenix where I could mess around. Considering that both cars are idealized to be driver performance cars. I found more enjoyment in one than the other easily, and feel that is Nissan is making NISMO cars they all should be trying to achieve what the GTR did for its class, or don't bother.

Yes cause a truck applied engine hasn't ever found its way into a car before...or vice versa.
Well in this case it hasn't.
It was a detuned 350, and a different engine than the one we're talking about. So it wasn't as stretched as far as it could go. Also never said Turbo charging the VQ you could supercharge the engine and not face much worries.
Still a VQ, essentially the same. Turbo or supercharger, same deal.
I found more enjoyment in one than the other easily, and feel that is Nissan is making NISMO cars they all should be trying to achieve what the GTR did for its class, or don't bother.
Let's see how far they get with a $35k Sentra.

Anyway, I'm out on this. Really don't feel like wasting any more energy on another back and forth that gets nowhere.

Well in this case it hasn't.

Which means they didn't explore all options, and once again why not try something new and interesting, perhaps a road version of the limited used engines they raced with.

Still a VQ, essentially the same. Turbo or supercharger, same deal.

How so? It's much easier to supercharge something reliabily with power gains and not compromise the entire engine.

Let's see how far they get with a $35k Sentra.

Anyway, I'm out on this. Really don't feel like wasting any more energy on another back and forth that gets nowhere.

Hopefully not too far, I see it going one of two ways if it doesn't sell. One the Sentra doesn't sell and Nissan take back what they wanted to do with the Nismo branding, this is the most unlikely case. Two, Nissan go forth but take a big low at how to actually implement the Nismo brand.

It's pretty simple if the Sentra doesn't sell it's only because one could go buy a performance 4 cylinder sedan/hatch for a bit more and for a lot more performance.

Whilst a 400Z Nismo sounds like fun, I can't imagine it would be a simple affair. Suggesting bore/stroke changes is getting into Porsche RS territory.

VXR
Whilst a 400Z Nismo sounds like fun, I can't imagine it would be a simple affair. Suggesting bore/stroke changes is getting into Porsche RS territory.
That, and as @R1600Turbo mentioned, that engine is already well down the development path. And it's punchy, but not a particularly "nice" engine to use - gets very harsh at higher revs.

I like the 370Z Nismo though. Feels more serious than the standard car, nice balance, and realistically it's pretty quick even if it's now getting on a bit. Still looks good, in as much as the slightly awkward 370 can look good. Over here the biggest problem is the price. It's much better than the standard 370Z, but I'm not sure it's £10k better, as that's how much extra it costs.

As in the underwhelming cars thread, I do think the Mustang is the more appealing car, and it's cheaper even as a V8. But you'd need to spend a bit on the Ford's suspension to make it handle quite as well as the Nismo, as it's a lot floppier out of the box.

It'd be one thing if the NISMO branding was consistent on every model, it's a whole separate ordeal when the implication seems to be that we'll get a NISMO Altima whether we like it or not - Probably only with a lowered suspension, larger wheels, and aggressive body trim. I'd be nice if Nissan would differentiate between NISMO branding, not unlike what Audi and Mercedes does with their S-Line and AMG Sport Line branding. At the very least, it'd be closer to what they actually deliver.

Back