No F1, No Problem: Grand Prix Drivers Head to Esports This Weekend

This is what it’s going to take to get me to finally watch “esports”, all the racing being cancelled and real racers participating. Going to try watching the rFactor one this morning and the NASCAR all-star race on iRacing this afternoon

I'm watching SuperGT stream and this is honestly more entertaining than the real thing.

Just narratively, you follow one person very closely instead of dozens narrowly. Maybe that's just my preference.

But a more important question is this: Do F1 drivers speak directly to the spectators during a race? Hell no dude

I have no doubts eSports will spike.

I suggested in the TCR Australia FB page that they seek a partnership for eSports. Soon after, two sim companies(one sponsors one of the TCR racers from New Zealand) commented on my reply to put together a proposal. How cool is that?!

I watched both the rFactor and F1 events, and honestly if they can get the production standards up a bit then I would consider these as a completely valid alternative to the real thing. Having said that it was amazing that the respective organisers pulled this together in such a short space of time.

Even though I have and have played F1 2019, there were times on the stream where I had to do a double take as it looked almost as if I was watching the real thing.

With the start of the the F1 season rumoured to be pushed back until Monaco, and likely further, then I can potentially see other F1 drivers getting involved - they all do sim racing even if they don't let on about.

This is what it’s going to take to get me to finally watch “esports”, all the racing being cancelled and real racers participating. Going to try watching the rFactor one this morning and the NASCAR all-star race on iRacing this afternoon
Don't know if you are aware bloodyboyblue but the drivers that are in esports are real racers they are just not in F1

My guess: E-Sport will slowly become more and more mixed with real motorsport. We will get a calendar with for example national championships which will have a few exotic virtual outings to other parts of the world.

It maybe take another 5 to 10 years but we'll get there.

Funnily enough I set my twitter up like that, subscribing to a number of real and sim racing feeds. My daily peruse of motorsport is quite interesting as a result and blends the two scenes very well indeed.

Back