No internet on PS3 - Downloading GTHD remotely?

• Thread starter spong
  • 13 comments
I just got an NTSC PS3 yesterday but I don’t have any internet at home. Is there any other way of downloading the GTHD game, eg via a PC?

I just got an NTSC PS3 yesterday but I don’t have any internet at home. Is there any other way of downloading the GTHD game, eg via a PC?
Wait, does your home PC have an Internet connection? If it is high speed unplug the ethernet cable from the PC and plug it into your PS3.

But to answer your question, you can only download it by signing into the Playstation Store through your PS3.

If you have no Internet at home I suggest finding someone who does so you can make your download of GT:HD.

Beware it will be a lengthy process as you will have to setup your PSN account, download and install all the firmware updates, and then download and install GT:HD.

Wait, does your home PC have an Internet connection? If it is high speed unplug the ethernet cable from the PC and plug it into your PS3.

But to answer your question, you can only download it by signing into the Playstation Store through your PS3.

If you have no Internet at home I suggest finding someone who does so you can make your download of GT:HD.

Beware it will be a lengthy process as you will have to setup your PSN account, download and install all the firmware updates, and then download and install GT:HD.

okay thanks, I was afraid of as much. I live in Nigeria where internet is very expensive and only really available via satalite or a very slow wireless network. Our internet at work is semi-broadband (but very slow by US standards) and it costs us about $2,000 per month. I guess I will have to try to bring my PS3 and tv to work.

I guess I will have to try to bring my PS3 and tv to work.
You know, I keep trying to convince my managers I should be allowed to bring my PS3 and Wii into the office. They keep saying something about not being productive.

okay thanks, I was afraid of as much. I live in Nigeria where internet is very expensive and only really available via satalite or a very slow wireless network. Our internet at work is semi-broadband (but very slow by US standards) and it costs us about $2,000 per month. I guess I will have to try to bring my PS3 and tv to work.

Holy damn. That must be a nightmare! I thought i paid much with $50 for 8mbit. If your internet provided lowered the prices to $200 per month i think more people would concider getting internet and therefore it would be a huge win for the provider. $2000 is inhumane.

Holy damn. That must be a nightmare! I thought i paid much with $50 for 8mbit. If your internet provided lowered the prices to $200 per month i think more people would concider getting internet and therefore it would be a huge win for the provider. $2000 is inhumane.
Heck, in the US satellite or wireless is too expensive for most people to consider. They are both painfully slow and just not worth the cost.

It sounds like Nigeria is running a decade or more behind where I am currently, because high speed was too expensive for anyone other than businesses to own for a long time.

And this brings about one of my largest fears of online content being pushed so heavily. Yes, it is great to be able to do all that, but too much focus leaves others behind. My XBox was never online and I felt Halo 2 was rubbish because it focused too much on online multiplayer, which I couldn't take advantage of.

This is my biggest fear with GT5 having a lot of downloadable content, that people in these situations are being forgotten. And if they abandon splitscreen multiplayer for the online mode it will truly leave those who don't enjoy or have access to online behind.

Heck, in the US satellite or wireless is too expensive for most people to consider. They are both painfully slow and just not worth the cost.

It sounds like Nigeria is running a decade or more behind where I am currently, because high speed was too expensive for anyone other than businesses to own for a long time.

And this brings about one of my largest fears of online content being pushed so heavily. Yes, it is great to be able to do all that, but too much focus leaves others behind. My XBox was never online and I felt Halo 2 was rubbish because it focused too much on online multiplayer, which I couldn't take advantage of.

This is my biggest fear with GT5 having a lot of downloadable content, that people in these situations are being forgotten. And if they abandon splitscreen multiplayer for the online mode it will truly leave those who don't enjoy or have access to online behind.

They should release car discs once in a while. So you can get the cars in packages.

You know, I keep trying to convince my managers I should be allowed to bring my PS3 and Wii into the office. They keep saying something about not being productive.

We have a Wii at wrrk :-)

We have a Wii at wrrk :-)
Yeah, my mom was telling me they do too, because the IT staff is expected to be able to stay in for 24 hours if necessary. So they put in some cots and a Wii. Her boss tried to convince her to spend some time playing it, but she refuses.

I've been thinking the same thing, it's one of the reasons I've been putting off getting a PS3. I have a 512kb/s connection, which is probably more than average in this country (We have terrible DSL), and I'm paying 60$ a month for it. The one thing I don't want to do is get a console thinking I can download all these great things like games, patches and demos, when I know full well that anything much over 1gb will take too long to be worth my while, and online gaming will probably be a lag fest and unplayable.

I've been thinking the same thing, it's one of the reasons I've been putting off getting a PS3. I have a 512kb/s connection, which is probably more than average in this country (We have terrible DSL), and I'm paying 60$ a month for it. The one thing I don't want to do is get a console thinking I can download all these great things like games, patches and demos, when I know full well that anything much over 1gb will take too long to be worth my while, and online gaming will probably be a lag fest and unplayable.

I wouldn't worry too much about a 512 connection, that's what I was running when I first got my PS3 and its wasn't a major issue at all. Yes now I've moved to a 2 meg line downloads off the PS Store are quicker, but in terms of gaming, I've not noticed any significant difference with either Motorstorm or Resistance (both of which I have played on-line since day one).

Regards

Scaff

Like Scaff said, 512 is no big deal. I was running that before my cable company upgraded and now I am just on a 1 meg line.

Besides, downloads from the PS Store can be run in the background while you play games or whatever. Typically, I set it up to download and then watch a movie or play a game before I go to bed. If I get anything downloaded before I head to bed I check it out. Anything left to download is downloaded in the background while Folding@Home is running and will be waiting for me when I get home from work the next day.

Even a slow line is no big deal unless you are the "I WANT IT NOW, NOW, NOW!!!!!" kind of guy. But then with demo files from anywhere between 500 mb to 1.5 gb you won't be happy no matter what kind of line you have.

How is the dial-up access in Nigeria? I realize it is far from an ideal solution, but if you can get unlimited dial-up at an affordable cost, AND that dial-up provider does not automatically disconnect you after a certain number of hours (usually 4), AND if you have a good phone line, you can then do the following so that you can at least update the firmware on your PS/3 and download content from the store, albeit very slowly:

Get the dialup access and purchase a router with a POTS (plain old telephone service) modem in it. They can be hard to find, but you might get a used Apple router (they called them "Base Stations") with a 56k modem pretty cheaply if you are lucky. You setup the router to use the dial-up connection, then hook your PS/3 to the LAN side of the router wirelessly or via. ethernet (and hook up other computers if you wish). This *should* work. You will have to wait a long time for your firmware updates and store content to download, and you (almost) certainly wouldn't be able to play any network game.

OK, so, that sounds a lot harder than just carrying it in to work :-)

How is the dial-up access in Nigeria? I realize it is far from an ideal solution, but if you can get unlimited dial-up at an affordable cost, AND that dial-up provider does not automatically disconnect you after a certain number of hours (usually 4), AND if you have a good phone line, you can then do the following so that you can at least update the firmware on your PS/3 and download content from the store, albeit very slowly:

Get the dialup access and purchase a router with a POTS (plain old telephone service) modem in it. They can be hard to find, but you might get a used Apple router (they called them "Base Stations") with a 56k modem pretty cheaply if you are lucky. You setup the router to use the dial-up connection, then hook your PS/3 to the LAN side of the router wirelessly or via. ethernet (and hook up other computers if you wish). This *should* work. You will have to wait a long time for your firmware updates and store content to download, and you (almost) certainly wouldn't be able to play any network game.

OK, so, that sounds a lot harder than just carrying it in to work :-)

That would work. With a 56k dial up the speed should be about 4 kbps avarage, 5-6 top. That means it would take about 2 days for the download...

Back