No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
A little underwhelming compared to the first trailer, but I think a careful breakdown of the HD version will produce some very nice stills again.

What stood out to me:
- the asteroid crystals at 0:23 . Something we hadn't seen before.
- the creature at 0:46 looks downright scary :D . I suppose this is the front of the dark-planet creature from the Explore trailer.

HD version

And some Dev presentation on the creature generation AI and animations

"Hater's gonna hate" meme :)
pqqzjaahseax.gif

Last edited:
Silly Dutch people are at it again. They could have waited a bit longer to file a lawsuit.

How exactly can it be proven that Hello Games has copied a piece of formula into their code? Even if they have I imagine the formula they are using has developed quite a bit over the years to the point were it is quite different to whatever this Dutch guy has produced. At least he's said that he won't attempt to delay the game's release.

I'm hoping they've changed the code enough to be a none valid claim.

The way I see it:

Paint manufacture creates a range of artists paints and then patients them saying "any art created using this paint is ours or you have to license it from us"

Then and artist uses said paint mixing in some of their own created paint too along with other bits they find lying around the studio and then selling said art.

Personally patient trolls should be strung up if they try this sort of thing. Yes they may have had the idea but they couldn't put it into practice or use so should have no claim.

I thought it would be one per week too.
Although the thinking is that they might do a surprise quick launch of the game.
Since there have been some reports of Steam being actually active with players (Stresstest) and also some saying that the physical copies are now being shipped in.
So anything is possible I guess.

I thought it would be one per week too.
Although the thinking is that they might do a surprise quick launch of the game.
Since there have been some reports of Steam being actually active with players (Stresstest) and also some saying that the physical copies are now being shipped in.
So anything is possible I guess.

That would be a nice surprise. Perhaps they'll try to sell as many copies as possible now before the Dutch sue them :D

Last time I checked, you can't even patent a formula... But you can patent an application for that formula, so technically if someone patented "generating a universe from a formula" you probably wouldn't even need to use the same formula to be infringing that patent. Then again I'm not a lawyer and I trust Hello Games to have done their research on this, so I'm pretty sure it's a non-issue, though it does raise an interesting point.

Weird, in the video he's quoted specifically stating they used it.

At 6 minutes.

I'm guessing it's either a miss quote or he was alluding to doing something similar and didn't express the differences correctly. We'll see how this pans out.

If anyone is interested in the full article it's here...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/18/world-without-end-raffi-khatchadourian

While what they quote in the video as proof he eventually used the formula, it's doesn't conclusively say it made its way into the final game. It does say he used it at the beginning as it fit the bill so to speak, and even says Murray was excited as it did what he'd been looking for. However a bit later on it does say that it played havoc with the AI and Hello Games was having a hard time sorting it.

It's entirely possible that they changed the formula beyond recognisability and as such will avoid costly court and why Shaun has foo foo'd the current story.

Last edited:
Whenever I've thought about gameplay in No Man's Sky, I've imagined there to be some intense controller vibration while entering the atmosphere of a planet. Any word so far on small details regarding feedback, physics, etc. from this event in Tokyo?

Whenever I've thought about gameplay in No Man's Sky, I've imagined there to be some intense controller vibration while entering the atmosphere of a planet. Any word so far on small details regarding feedback, physics, etc. from this event in Tokyo?

Well there is one thing about smilie icons on animals after
feeding them

edit - vid

Last edited:
Has there been any videos of creatures actually attacking a player? All I've seen so far are lasers from the galactic police.

Has there been any videos of creatures actually attacking a player? All I've seen so far are lasers from the galactic police.

That crab in the fight tailer?

Also there was a big dino thing charging in this, but not actually attacking

That crab in the fight tailer?

Also there was a big dino thing charging in this, but not actually attacking

I see creatures going at the player, I don't see any actually doing an attack. I'm just wondering what fighting such weird creatures looks like. Does the game know how a procedurally generated animal attacks, or will they just be doing a little lunge animation.

I see creatures going at the player, I don't see any actually doing an attack. I'm just wondering what fighting such weird creatures looks like. Does the game know how a procedurally generated animal attacks, or will they just be doing a little lunge animation.

They will probably just "headbutt" you at a guess :)

BTW the trailers from Hello Game's channel are much better than the Sony trailers...

I rather this than the Explore trailer, and you can hear the in game audio... which is very atmospheric!
Procedural animal sounds, environs and music

Is it me or do I find it concerning that Hello Games hasn't addressed how the release will do on PC? I'm aiming for getting this game on that platform but the only thing I could find is the minimum requirements, which remain the same exact requirements since a year ago. I have a pretty good rig so I have no doubt that I will be able to run it, but there isn't much PC content.

Back