No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
It was mostly half-truths, though I don't deny there were some outright lies. And they were fairly easy to see through IMO.

Regardless, I saw a LOT of people superimposing their own wild imaginations onto what they thought No Man's Sky was going to be, and yes I absolutely do think it's their own fault for setting themselves up for disappointment.

There's a website dedicated solely to the number of outright lies that came from Murray, and it was a significant amount. Also, things that were promised, but not shown in gameplay footage, like multiplayer, the crafting system, or the actual game physics, weren't easy to see through lies.

To be clear, I'm not saying Sean & co are blameless in this whole fiasco. But the insane amount of vitriol directed at them following the game's launch far exceeded what they deserved, when Sony was also at fault for trying to market this thing as a big AAA PlayStation exclusive, and gamers somehow fell for this thing hook line and sinker like a bunch of gullible bakas and allowed themselves to get faaaaaaar too overhyped for something that never looked all that remarkable outside of its core gimmick.

I'm not at all surprised that they decided to go completely PR silent in response, even if that only fanned the flames.

In short, yes Hello Games deserves some flak... But keep in mind that pressure from Sony was probably also problematic. And if you were burned by NMS, you're due for some introspection on getting hyped for games.

In the end they reaped what they sowed. Copping death threats and the like is ridiculous, but a lot of gamers are ridiculous people. Hello should have known what kind of backlash awaited them with the ridiculous amount of promises Murray made of the game. The entire core gameplay is nothing like what was advertised. Blaming gamers for getting hyped for things that were promised for a game and not delivered is ridiculous. If people were hyping themselves up for things that were never spoken of or promised to be in the game by the devs, then that's their fault, but the vast majority of what I see is people pissed off about things that were meant to be part of the core experience of this game that aren't there, and that's Hello games' fault. Sony never forced them to promise a ton of things about their game that were never going to materialise, nor did they force them to build a completely different game to the one they were advertising in interviews.

They made millions off of blatant lies, and anyone who does that deserves to have the **** flung at them IMO.

You can't build bases from scratch. You have to discover inhabitable buildings. Then you can claim it as your own and then expand it and you can hire aliens in the space station to build stuff for you when you've built the stations they need on you base.

Not really unless it's under £20. Even then i'd watch some youtube playthrough videos first. Avoid anything that's an interview with Murray before it came out because that's not the game we got.

You can't build bases from scratch. You have to discover inhabitable buildings. Then you can claim it as your own and then expand it and you can hire aliens in the space station to build stuff for you when you've built the stations they need on you base.

So this base building is in the game now?

Yes.

Also if you scan the planet with R3 it now tells you what elements are available on it. Sentinel fights seem to be more stressful as well - although Its been so long since I played it I might be remembering it wrong.

Sentinel fights seem to be more stressful as well - although Its been so long since I played it I might be remembering it wrong.

Well that would at least add a bit of difficulty to the game maybe. Sentinels were so weak before that you could just sit there killing them to mine them for titanium.

I was blasting a door down and didn't take down the flyers down in time the second stage turned up - took one out went back to the door then the big one turned up so I ran for my ship and went into orbit then the ship versions attacked, i went back down to the planet, jumped out of the ship and then the big guys turned up again. By the time I'd run for it again I though I'd better hyper to a new system!

There's also two new game options as well. You've got your original save plus the two new ones which are a new survival mode which restricts the stuff you can collect and another one that gives you unlimited resources but removes trophy support.

Yeah sounds like they improved the sentinels so they don't give up so easily. Before, all you had to do was get in your ship and take off, and you could literally fly around in circles above the sentinels and they'd give up within seconds, allowing you to land and go back to what you were doing. I've never had a wanted level stick when I got in a ship and left the planet like that. Also, simply walking into a building, even one without a door, used to be enough to get rid of any wanted level. I used to do that to mine rare items on planets with aggressive sentinels.

That's a good improvement, because the sentinels were a joke before. I'll have to find some time to have a go at the game again to try these improvements. Haven't played it in ages.

I can stack items now, which was probably my biggest complaint since it made inventory management a chore. So far I think the update really improved the game and I'm going to give it another run.

But the insane amount of vitriol directed at them following the game's launch far exceeded what they deserved

I've only followed the NMS stuff from afar but one thing that kept springing to mind was Hanlon's razor: don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence........ personally it's a bit sad to see many people these days invert that, and well-deserved criticism instead becomes, as you say, vitriol. I would've thought independent developers (or pseudo-independent in HG's case with their Sony backing) at least might get greater consideration than that, but not by everyone it seems. Maybe I'm just soft....... :embarrassed:

Since I already got Platinum on the game and I kinda did a bit of stuff on normal.
I figured I will just do Creative and just do what I want. (Since I don't think they added any more trophies)

So I took a small look at Creative and well there is still some things you have to do but all the other materials are there.
Still have to go find tech and everything. So it's like a new game but with free resources.

Fired it up for the first time in forever, and after a short amount of time playing, I got into a space battle, after which the game went unstable and started running at what felt like about 15fps. Kept running like that until I restarted it. Didn't experience a bug like that before the patch... So yeah.... That's a thing.

quite improved and different

ukAXHsH.jpg

Last edited:
Can you only have one base in the entire game? In creative mode, I seem to only be able to own one base. I thought I remembered seeing the word 'bases' in the text description before activating the Base Terminus.

Can you only have one base in the entire game? In creative mode, I seem to only be able to own one base. I thought I remembered seeing the word 'bases' in the text description before activating the Base Terminus.
I thought I read in the release notes that you can tear it down, recuperate all resources and then build another base somewhere else. I didn't think of the restriction of only one base, but that's probably implied by that...

I thought I read in the release notes that you can tear it down, recuperate all resources and then build another base somewhere else. I didn't think of the restriction of only one base, but that's probably implied by that...
Yeah, that sounds right, although I didn't read the release notes. To me it makes more sense to be able to have multiple bases across the universe and be able to warp to each one via the Terminus. Oh well, I guess.

So I've run into a bit of a game breaker. I had been building my base, and recruiting buddies to run it, and I got to the point where they give you waypoints to abandoned buildings to get stuff for them. Well one of the buildings is under water, quite deep actually, and the water is extremely irradiated, so surviving the dive is a challenge on it's own. But the real problem is once I got down to it, it has no doors...

So yeah... Can't progress any further with that. I'm thinking I'm going to have to abandon my base and start again in a new system, which is really very frustrating. I'll be pissed if I start over in a new system and it happens again.

Grabbed this in the steam sale, really enjoying it so far. If only they had released the game in this state things could have been very different. It's one of those games where you need to enjoy purely exploring an environment and not be in a rush to reach the end of a task or mission. It's such an awesome feeling when you spend hours searching for a certain item or element and then finally find it.

The constant mining of rocks can be a bit repetitive but I find something very satisfying about gathering a big shiny red crystal and then selling it for some huge $$$

I tried survival mode -

I spawned right in a settlement - good
but the planet is cold at -20 degrees, not good, and it drops to under -40 at night
and my ship is some 8 minutes walk away....

so I figure I might have to dig a hole on the way to my ship to keep warm, but right now I'm making short trips to and from the settlement building to collect materials

So I've run into a bit of a game breaker. I had been building my base, and recruiting buddies to run it, and I got to the point where they give you waypoints to abandoned buildings to get stuff for them. Well one of the buildings is under water, quite deep actually, and the water is extremely irradiated, so surviving the dive is a challenge on it's own. But the real problem is once I got down to it, it has no doors...

So yeah... Can't progress any further with that. I'm thinking I'm going to have to abandon my base and start again in a new system, which is really very frustrating. I'll be pissed if I start over in a new system and it happens again.
That's why I've been looking, with no success, for my original start planet. No sea.

That's why I've been looking, with no success, for my original start planet. No sea.

I started anew. Went to the galactic map and searched for a decent sized system to set up a new base, and like you, was looking for a planet with a habitable base and not much water lol. Settled on a system with four planets and two moons, and found a base on one of the moons. I've named my system The Fangio System, and the planets are all named after some of the world's best circuits. My base is on Sudschleife, which is a moon of Nordschleife :D

Got a couple of days off work now,so i will give this game a breath of life - still trying to forget i paid £50 for the digital version haha. This update is a nice surprise though - kept wondering how can Murray disappear off the face of the earth like that.

After reading all of that, and recently going back to NMS to really play out everything that was added in the foundation update, I have to say, this is now looking like the game that was teased to us all those years ago. They probably should have just delayed the game again and brought it out now, in this shape, and the reception would have been dramatically different.

It's only been 7 months since it was released. They may have copped a lot of flak for another 7 month delay, but nowhere near the **** storm they copped because of the ridiculous state of the game, and the complete lack of any depth, when it was released last August.

Even playing it in the last week, the game feels dramatically different to how it did before that first massive update. Not just because of the added features, but a lot of what was already there was just tweaked and made so much better. Looking at the patch notes for today's update, it seems they've done the same again. Gigantic update, adding tons of features, but also improving everything that is already in the game.

I'm actually looking forward to playing it now, and I haven't said that about No Man's Sky since before it was released. Hello Game's have gone a long way to redeeming themselves in my eyes.

Last edited:
I'm just downloading the update now and will see what its like. I haven't played since before update 1.1 so it should be kinda fresh I'm hoping. I wonder how many more updates we will get? Since I believe Hello games have started to work on there next game.

Back