No Man's SkyPS4 

• Thread starter iainn
  • 1,425 comments
I am getting an Alienware Alpha R2 with a i5 6400t, GTX960, 8gb Ram today which I will be fitting with a Samsung 850 Evo- 500gb Sata SSD (mainly to mod and play older games) But I am also looking at PC games I couldn't get before, like No man's Sky and Empyrion. Coming from many, many hours spent playing Elite Dangerous on Xbox One, is this game still worth getting? I really want o be able to fly on planets with atmospheres and Elite still doesn't have that feature. My concern about NMS is that it had (or still has) automated landing sequences, is this still the case?

My concern about NMS is that it had (or still has) automated landing sequences, is this still the case?

You still have to tell your ship to land. You don't just enter the planet's atmosphere and the ship lands. You control your ship through space, through the planet's ionosphere and into it's atmosphere and then find a spot to land - or just cruise around finding something interesting to look at. It's only when you've slowed your ship and got to about ten meters above the ground that you can instruct your ship to land. You can still hit the surface and damage the ship if you are clumsy enough whilst flying low.

You still have to tell your ship to land. You don't just enter the planet's atmosphere and the ship lands. You control your ship through space, through the planet's ionosphere and into it's atmosphere and then find a spot to land - or just cruise around finding something interesting to look at. It's only when you've slowed your ship and got to about ten meters above the ground that you can instruct your ship to land. You can still hit the surface and damage the ship if you are clumsy enough whilst flying low.

Ah ok, this is good to know, thank you.

So, decided to give this ago again after not having played it for a very long time. Pleasantly suprised by all the new (well, not so new anymore :P) stuff. There's an actual story now that guides you through all the mechanics. The NEXT update is also shaping up to be really great. On PC there's not a whole lot of people playing left, so quite happy that Hello Games is still churning out massive updates. 👍 How's that on PS4 or XB, still many people playing it?

So, decided to give this ago again after not having played it for a very long time. Pleasantly suprised by all the new (well, not so new anymore :P) stuff. There's an actual story now that guides you through all the mechanics. The NEXT update is also shaping up to be really great. On PC there's not a whole lot of people playing left, so quite happy that Hello Games is still churning out massive updates. 👍 How's that on PS4 or XB, still many people playing it?
This post prompted me to download it again. Looking forward to giving it another chance.

I don't really care about the multiplayer features coming in the next update, hopefully there will be some other stuff in there too. Although in fairness I haven't actually given the game a proper try after the previous large updates, only just the first steps of the new story.

Alright, so here's the Next trailer:

Now, after watching that, watch this analysis video too:

This is certainly raising my hype levels. If all this really checks out then it's a damn' good game. Took 'em two years, but better late than never I guess.

EDIT: There's a limited changelog.

Saw this yesterday, looks like I'm finally going to pick this game up. Going in with similar enthusiasm to when the game was ramping up to release. 👍

My friend bought this game at release and he really hated it, so I avoided this game when it first came out. Another of my friends also bought the game when it came out. He was a little less harsh but still stopped playing after a week or so. Luckily he held on to his copy, so I’m headed over to my other friend’s house who hated it to pick up the game. This looks like a bunch of fun. Friend #2 is also pretty psyched as well. It’s gonna be a blast

Still have the game, I platinum it while it was "easy" and now I just go out on a "creative" mode but eh.
Might be worth doing a new game on that so I don't have to deal with so much starting over and whatnot.

Edit:
For some information
Condensed version:-

1: Full MP is coming, there is no range limit to joining your friends, parties can be up to 4 people in size. No single person acts as a host, plus everyone can either do their own thing or party up and do some co-op missions. MP is restricted by mode, thus you must be in the same mode as your friend(s) if you want to join them but it is possible to join as a Guest on a temporary save file if you don't have one for that mode. The MP missions are virtually identical to the single player ones so don't get your hopes up of doing anything particularly elaborate like the main story missions. The max player count for MP is 16 people. Whilst you can kill each other, there's virtually no point in do so because the rewards are minimal. You must own a freighter, before being allowed to do any co-op missions.

2: Starships are tied to the person who owns them so will remain single seaters unless you own a bigger ship that allows multiple occupants.

3: Inventory items can be shared between party members.

4: Photo mode doesn't pause the game for everyone, thus elaborate shots can now be staged with multiple players present.

5: Bases can be built literally anywhere and up to a size of 20,000 pieces
eek.gif
! Whoever places a particular piece, will own it but anyone can add to it if they wish. Base building now has a proper mission tree that encourages you to build and experiment with how you want your base to look but you will be rewarded for a new piece for mission completed. Base components now physically affect the landscape and can be embedded into scenery.

6: Freighters come with their own mission tree, plus you can now buy groups of freighters and send them out on missions. These missions take place in real time. The Freighters can also be customised and tuned for specific activities and gameplay types. Your fleet can also earn XP and level up their abilities. You can own up to 50 Frigates
shock.gif
!?

7: The game will default to a Third Person Perspective but this can be changed at any time via the main contextual menu. When in Third Person, your backpack will become your HUD and show you what your Vital signs are like.

8: Players can customise themselves via a new Terminal that is found in every space station and can be built in your bases. You can even change your species.

9: The HUD has been redone and removed or shrunk, a lot of the pop-ups that used to appear.

10: Damaged ship and Exosuit systems can now be repaired on a piece-by-piece basis so there's no need to lug around tons of different components until you can create all the necessary components at once.

11: The scanner has been redone and added a new component that allows you to look for and recover, buried treasure by using the Terrain Manipulator.

12: Weekly updates are coming in the future so hopefully, this means we won't have to wait as long for important updates to come out. The first of these new updates is due the week of July 30th.

13: The rumoured stat wipe is completely false and won't be happening.

14: A new element called Sodium, will be included with the NEXT update. Oxygen will also be a farmable element.

15: Proper marketplaces now exist on Space stations.

16: Your online progress will be saved so you can access it offline, thus there's no need to worry about losing anything.

17: Emotes are now in the game and can be accessed via the quick select menu. New emotes can be unlocked later on by either earning them via missions rewards or as prizes in the upcoming community events.

18: Base Hubs have been replaced with a new terminal, that allows you to pick and choose how you want to setup your new home.

19: Your base cannot be harmed by other players, because they can only remove the pieces they have personally added. Your base will be visible to others when you're not online but until you sign back in, it can't be edited in any way.

20: At least 1 new ship type is coming.

21: A "Galactic Atlas" Website will launch soon after the update and will act as a community hub for fans of the game. EDIT: Link: https://galacticatlas.nomanssky.com/

22: You can now visit certain locations instantly, without having to Warp there first. This is enabled by Hello Games giving out Portal Glyphs during the Community Events.

23: A new in-game store will be opened, that allows you to spend a new type of currency that is earned via Community Events. The new content will be things like on skins, emotes, Base components etc. etc.

24: Community Events are coming and participants will be rewarded for taking taking part.

25: Waking Titan ends today and it's rumoured that a new feature will be revealed.

26: Basic minerals e.g. Plutonium are now 10+ feet tall. The overall sense of scale and size has been completely overhauled.

27: Draw distances have been massively improved, as have the cloud rendering systems.

28: Planet, animal and plant generation systems have been completely rebuilt and overhauled.

29: The opening tutorial and initial 10hrs of the game have been updated and now gives you a freighter, a Terrain Manipulator and something called a "Terraformer" - all for free!

30: Waypoints can be placed for other people in your party to see.

31: MP can be opted out of so you don't have to worry about grief from other players.

32: The weather systems have been completely redone.

33: Mineral refineries are now a thing and will let you combine multiple elements, to create new ones.

34: The game is now a lot more stat based.

35: Freighter hangers can now be customised.

36: Race tracks can now be shared amongst your friends.

37: Animals now have a heard mentality.

38: PS Plus is now required to access the online features.

Last edited:
It was a shame to hear and read all the negative reviews at launch, and it's good to hear the devs didn't abandon it. That said, I only heard about the continuing updates a couple of days ago, and I've never seen it show up on steam sales. I don't suppose anyone noticed if there was a discount on it during the recent summer bonanza?

Pretty hyped for tomorrow. Really looking forward to starting a new game and explore again. Also really looking forward to see how it compares graphics-wise. One of my biggest complaints about the current game is the washed-out filters and blurry AA. Looks a lot better in the video already.

Pretty hyped for tomorrow. Really looking forward to starting a new game and explore again. Also really looking forward to see how it compares graphics-wise. One of my biggest complaints about the current game is the washed-out filters and blurry AA. Looks a lot better in the video already.

it's the same art style though isn't it ?

XB1 gameplay video. (Enjoy while it lasts as there is an embargo in place)

3rd person gameplay looks amazing, really dig what they did with the stats on the back of the suit. Space stations actual hubs now. Customization looks awesome too.

EDIT: Better quality one:

You can really see the increased vegetation in this video. Also looks a lot sharper!

Last edited:
Someone know when update will arrive today? I realy would like to see some better performance on my pc which plays very poor compared to the butter smooth ps4 version.

Someone know when update will arrive today? I realy would like to see some better performance on my pc which plays very poor compared to the butter smooth ps4 version.

Release times can be found here.

TL;DR:

Europe, North America:
GMT/WET/UTC: 1PM/13:00

BST: 2PM/14:00

CEST: 3PM/15:00

EST: 9AM/09:00

PST: 6AM/06:00

Australia
AEST: 11PM/23:00

South America
AMT: 5PM/17:00

ART: 10AM/10:00

BOT: 9AM/09:00

Also I got to thinking,
If full multiplayer is there and everything, does that mean we'll have random people join or can we specify if we want online or not?

Back