Noob in Need of Help (Video)

Ok I found this forum about 3 days ago after watching some GT4 drift vids on Youtube. Ive been looking for a good drift game for ages and the best ones are only NTSC and im on a PAL ps2.

This forum made me want to get it so much that yesterday I went and baught GT4. Its the first GT game i have ever baught, I played GT3 a litte when it came out but that was a long time ago lol.

Im a complete noob at GT and im only 1.3% complete took me ages to do the first licence lol.

Im really a bad driver on it lol. I drive Auto aswell.

I was wondering if any of you kind people could give me a crash course in manual drifting. I have read just about all of the FAQ. I dont have problems knowing when to shift and so on its just i dont know when to downshift and so on when drifting (attempting badly).

Sorry about the essay.
Thanks for reading.

down shift when your rpm meter goes down.

crash course? Practice at using manual shifting...at normal driving

THEN practice drifting in manual.

Also, try using the search button if you can't find anything on the FAQs, becasue they aren't updated very often.

Welcome to GTP btw.

I was in college when i posted that so i couldnt really practise lol. Since i got in a tried driving manual and drifting and im not as bad as i was expecting. I have serious whip back though lol. Thats because i was shifting wrong though. I would weight shift then turn sharp and drop a gear and feather the throttle. I think it was the unnecassary downshifting that was making it whip back.

hi

becuase u say the u never drifted before on GT4 i would recommed that u pick 2 cars (they dont have to be the same)i would pick an rx7 fd 92-93 and put in one rx7 as much power as u can under hood and in the other around 250hp and once u done that come back to the site and tell us which one is easier to drift and we can give u some better advise

P.S hope to see some video's:tup:

cheer:tup:

Ok will do. Ive been drifting or trying to drift in the mazda mx5 (miata) on the trial mountain track. I have a couple of corners on there i can get every time but others i spin out on exit or hit the apex of the turn when drifting. I havent drifted any other car yet but ill give the RX7s a go. Thanks for your advice :)

When you say you want videos do you mean so you can have a good laugh lol. Cos you will when you see me driving lol. although i am getting better im still bad lol.

EDIT:
Ok i got an RX7 and put some N2s on it. I added a Race Exhaust and left it at that. The BHP is around 200 and something maybe 250 something but its by no means tuned fully. I can drift with this quite well but still need a lot of practice obviously lol ive only been doing it for 2 days.

Right now I havent tried making a vid to show you my problems but here are some nice pics taken when the slide goes right.

(All of these except the last 2 ended with a spin of some sort)
Sorry I know I wont be winning any photography awards anytime soon
img0002qq6.jpg

img0003rd4.jpg

img0004ye2.jpg

img0005tq1.jpg

Thanks for the pics, but we really can't analyze your particular challenge without a video. :)

Also, try to use thumbnails when posting pics next time. ;)

Ok sorry about big pics ill use Thumbs next time :D
The pics are just proof that im not a Complete noob lol I can get sideways lol.
Like I said though im having trouble exiting drifts also I find im drifting out. By that I mean I enter the corner then drift out wide, either into a wall or onto grass. That’s my main problem. At the moment I use a very strange technique it’s like Inertia and lift off with a little E brake tap and then feathered Throttle and counter steer in jolts rather than one long steer. Its seems to be working although I think im doing something wrong when entering which is making me drift wide. Any Help will be welcomed :) Thanks for your replies so far I really appreciate them.

from what you described your trying to take the line you choose faster then it is possible to do.
speaking of, what kind of line are you using(or trying to)?

ok the wide slide "i" think comes down to these 3 too much speed when entering the cornor and the type of tyre that you use and your might be holding the accel to much cuz on some cars it less throttle more turn and on the others it more throttle more turn but i could be wrong..:nervous:

have fun:tup:
cheers

I dont even know which line im trying to take lol. I think im entering maybe a little too fast cos the reason im drifting wide is lack of angle and when i use ebrake to whip it arond it spinsout so im pretty sure i need to slow down and get more angle.

Thanks for your replies except nk4e not sure how that helps me lol. Thanks anyway guys. Ill have a low quality video coming soon. Low quailty driving and video lol.

I dont even know which line im trying to take lol. I think im entering maybe a little too fast cos the reason im drifting wide is lack of angle and when i use ebrake to whip it arond it spinsout so im pretty sure i need to slow down and get more angle.

Thanks for your replies except nk4e not sure how that helps me lol. Thanks anyway guys. Ill have a low quality video coming soon. Low quailty driving and video lol.

Well, Do you know how to grip? like the basics

yea thats my problem. my drifting is a hell of a lot more like gripping than it is drifting lol. Im not meaning to take conventional racing lines but im basically sliding from the inside to the outside. Im also having real trouble sliding round long corners. Every now and again I get a good angle and everything but then it just straigtens out either that or it just stops, even if i downshift.

Thanks for all your help so far I really appreciate it.

1. Stop thanking us in one post. But instead show us some videos would be good
2. what track are you on?
3. Try in the beginning of the Apex is Out to in.

haha sorry I cant help being nice. I do appreciate the help though lol. I wil put a vid up but it will be recorded on my phone so it will be low quality. I was origionall drifting on Trial Mountain but now ive changed to Tokyo I like the long open corner. I cant actually drift now lol. My main problem was the car. I was using the RX7 at first but then changed to the D1 RX7. that was a little too much power for me to be learning with so i changed back and now i can drift (not to well). Its not on every corner and they arent fast or linked very well but ive definatly got the basics down. My favorite drifts are the long low angle although i dont hit them every time.

Ill put a video up in a minute.

Video
Ok here it is. There is only one drift in this and its the long low angle drift on the tokyo track after that you may aswell stop watching cos there is nothing else lol
Sorry about quality. Youve been warned.
The only corner I can drift

Wow that is terrible video quality. I must say, you aren't too bad for a drifter. You just need help with your setup or something. You should make the rear camber angles higher for longer drifts, and play around with the toe angles. Also use N3 tires front and N2 tires rear for starters. Try it out.

Thanks for the compliment although i dont think im anywere near good. I used a set up from here. also I thought having diferent tires on front and rear made it more unbalanced anyway ill give it a shot and post tomorrow :)

Great! The next time you record a video, make sure you have the normal mode going, with all the dials and whatnot. It'll make it easier to help you out. :)

No I mean keep pushing square until you get the speedometer, tach and other displays on the screen. You can do that AND have the outside view of the car at teh same time. :)

Anyone is welcome to disagree with anything my post (post #2), has mentioned. I honestly never drive in manual, or drift for that matter.

The tires will be fine as long as you have a more gripier set in the front. If you have more in the back it will make it crazy herd to even spin out griping.

One thing i noticed from your video is...r u JUST E-braking or are you also normal braking? With all the crazy cam angle i couldnt see any brake lights. maybe its just me but hey wat can a guy do?

Back