Official GTPlanet Weekly Rewind Thread, Part Three: Trilogies, Am I Right?

So a bit of an announcement is due, the last Spotlight, 'The Champions of the World', has effectively become the final Spotlight of 2015.

Now before anyone gets excited you should know this was my decision, and the feature isn't being discontinued for an extended period of time similar to the original Rewind - Spotlight transition which was, what, almost a year? The Spotlight hasn't been as well-received as I'd like as of late so I'm taking the time to make some changes here and there and make it better for you all to read and for me to write.

It won't be that long of a wait and when it does return it'll be better than it has been, with the added bonus that news should begin to steadily pick up pace again; more news means more content and more content means a better article.

Until January!

So I've been thinking about this for a while now, and would anyone be interested in seeing this come back, this time permanently? Not as the Community Spotlight, but the OG Weekly Rewind.

It won't be on the front page (as far as I know), instead I'll do weekly write-ups in a new thread. Which, I understand may diminish interest in the subject because it'll essentially be me putting something together for a small audience, but if that's the case — so be it. I'll work out the details later on, but first I want to see where the interest is before moving further. So, here's your chance: speak up!

Bit of an update I intended to post last week Thursday, but this is cancelled. You all suck.

I'm kidding. Next month! I might throw up a short one over the weekend just to see if I still have it in me to gab without any guidelines. :lol:

EDIT: Oh! Until then, what would you all like to see?

GTPlanet Weekly Rewind: Behold, Back to Square One

1583867292-20200310181258.jpg

Hi, @sebmugi!

Your eyes aren't fooling you — the Weekly Rewind is back, and this time it's here to stay. As you're well aware, the Weekly Rewind has had quite an interesting history. It began in 2012 under the original name and ran until the end of March in 2014, where it was put out to pasture. It made its triumphant return less than a year later under a new name, the GTPlanet Community Spotlight. With a renewed focus, this feature would run until March of the following year (are you seeing a trend here?) where we'd say our goodbyes in the March 29th edition.

But wait! The Community Spotlight wasn't one to go down without a fight as it wrestled its way back in December of the same year, albeit with an even sharper focus. Now, in its current format the Spotlight wasn't put out to pasture, however, there hasn't been much of a use for its namesake since the beginning of 2017. So, here we are now returning to our roots with the Weekly Rewind; resurrecting the original name, both for a bit of nostalgia and it works better for what I'm looking to capture here.

With all of the said so far, there remains one tiny little issue. I still haven't worked out all of the details in my head so you'll have to bear with me. I know not if this will be a weekly or bi-weekly affair but we'll feel things out along the way and go from there. "Then wny call it the 'Weekly Rewind' if you're unsure? Won't this simply lead to the same result?" That's a fair question and I'll be honest with you in saying at this particular point in time it's only the "Weekly Rewind" in name alone. The interesting part is there's no limitations here in its newer, albeit smaller format. I can adjust things on the fly and it'll be like nothing ever changed.

Should it make sense right off the bat, I can easily adjust this to be the "GTPlanet Rewind" and we'll lose nothing. Other than what I ranted about above, of course. The name does means something to me because, quite honestly, this was my first crack at an Op-Ed. Weekly entries where I didn't have to be quite as formal and could just be myself and talk about whatever, whenever. I liked that. I liked opening things with a completely awkward sentiment or quote from a song or movie — it was a piece without boundaries or limitations.

As you can tell already, I retain the gift of gab, which was my number one concern, so consider that averted. Let's move on, shall we? This is going to be a short one as I really don't have much planned (well, I do, but...shut up) and I'll have to start thinking long term like I used to. Which, by the way, is a blatant lie. I don't know if I've ever talked about this before, but 9 out of every 10 Rewinds or Community Spotlights were thought up and written the evening prior, or the day of.

Anyway, to the content!
delsollm2-png.897441

Del Sol LM Ediiton Made out of LEGO

I'm a sucker when it comes to reminiscing about the Gran Turismo of yesteryear, so this seemed like a shoe-in to me. Last week, @Arppa83 started a project that celebrates the Del Sol LM Edition that was on the car roster in the first and second entries in the franchise. Did I mention it's made entirely out of LEGO? Now, before you get too excited, the model in question — as you've been able to tell by now — is a digital one, made in a LEGO CAD (Computer-Aided Design) program by the name of MLCAD.

While there's no mention of taking this into the real world with a replica model made from an assortment of LEGO pieces, it's impressive all the same. It hasn't been updated since then, so stop by the thread and show the project a little love! Who knows, down the line we could find ourselves looking at yet another digital recreation of a car from Gran Turismo's past.

3643091-e3logo-generic-thumb5-cancelled.jpg

E3 2020 Cancelled

If you haven't heard the news by now, this year's E3 expo is the latest event cancelled due to growing concerns of the coronavirus. While many may have expected this to happen, it's still a considerably blow to the gaming community. That isn't to stay it wasn't a serious issue prior to this because that absolutely is not the case, but when it hits home, in any way, shape, or form, it really becomes apparent just how much of a threat it's becoming.

The positive takeaway from this is that there's always a way around an obstacle. Sony already side-stepped this year's expo prior to its cancellation to host its own event, and now Microsoft will do the same, albeit forcibly considering the circumstances. While there's no confirmation on a date and time just yet, we can expect more on whatever Xbox has in store for its replacement event over the coming weeks. if we had to guess, we'd put money on the event taking place in June as sort of a commemoration.

That isn't to say there isn't anything to look forward to this month, quite the opposite in fact. Next week, Microsoft will host an event by the name of Game Stack Live in place of the postponed Game Developers Conference also affected by pandemic. All of the panels that were originally planned for GDC will now premiere on GSL. If you'll recall, earlier this year we reported this could be our first opportunity to see Forza Motorsport 8 in the flesh as Turn 10 would be present at the event to discuss real-time ray tracing, so you'll definitely want to keep an eye peeled if you're an interested party.

Moreover, one of the panels at GSL will specifically focuses on the Xbox Series X and Project xCloud, so this could be our first chance to see what the next generation of gaming will bring to the table.

Consider me excited!

Panoz Esparante GTR-1 - Sounds Like Lightning, Goes Like Thunder

If you've played any Gran Turismo title between the third and sixth installments, chances are you'll recognize the racing machine above. When it comes to videos, I let them do all of the talking. However, the engine note sounds entirely too familiar, as if it's a Chevy LS-based powerplant because it sounds as much when the engine in purring, which is never a bad thing.

The Final Lap

What? I told you this would be a short one, stop yelling at me through your monitor — you look like a crazy person.

So not only do I have the next-gen consoles to deal with, but I'm also in the process of saving of for a new PC because my current rig, while it's pulled steady since I built it back in 2013 (with upgrades along the way) it's time to move on to something better and faster. I already have a firm grasp on what I want because I keep going back on forth on one thing: the CPU. It's either I buy the Ryzen 9 3900X or the 3950X. They're both expensive so we're not going into prices here, but it'd be more than a little nice to advance from 4 cores to 12 cores with 24 threads, or 16 cores with 32 threads.

I can go into my whole history with PCs and every system I've built since, but I won't because that'd be boring. It also doesn't help matters that I've really gotten back into the swing of things over the past couple of months, so I'm on a PC and PC tech high right now...and I don't see myself coming down anytime soon. Pray for me and my wallet, please.

Trucks.​

Back