Official Mission Hall Thread (help, hints, general discussion, etc.)

• Thread starter justin_tyme
  • 1,545 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having BIG troubles with the missions in Mission Hall. I think this is going to keep me from reaching 100%. It requires some of the most vicious driving ever in a GT game, no wonder it's 250 A-Spec points for every race.

Levels 1-10 are very easy, then it gets hard and keeps getting harder until it reaches nightmare level with those unthinkable One Lap Magics.

I think we need to share some strategies here because good driving alone won't be enough.

I especially get annoyed at having to wait on the start line for up to three minutes in the later missions. There really should be an option to avoid that.

justin_tyme
I'm having BIG troubles with the missions in Mission Hall. I think this is going to keep me from reaching 100%. It requires some of the most vicious driving ever in a GT game, no wonder it's 250 A-Spec points for every race.

Levels 1-10 are very easy, then it gets hard and keeps getting harder until it reaches nightmare level with those unthinkable One Lap Magics.

I think we need to share some strategies here because good driving alone won't be enough.

I especially get annoyed at having to wait on the start line for up to three minutes in the later missions. There really should be an option to avoid that.

You're right Justin.
I've finished all GT series game and now I'm at 32% of GT4 but those damn mission are so hard... :mad:
...Action Replay where are you? :D

justin_tyme

Ahh, but good driving is enough. I have completed one of the three "one lap magic" events that I tried so far, and I've been pretty close on the other two (we're talking tenths of a second out of 1st place). To win, your going to have to hit your apexes, and experiment with your braking points until you find that perfect lap. Corner exit speed is key. That's why they call it "one lap magic". You shouldn't worry too much about the other cars, all you really want to do is hit your target lap time. These things are really the same as the time trials from GT3, only with an annoying wait, and obstacles on the track in the form of the other cars.

If you don't use manual, either learn to or "hold" the gears for longer by holding shift up while in auto - this can make a big difference in straights

yep, good driving IS enough, and is all that you have. There is nothing else, no strategy, etc. You have to LEARN the track, and then learn the car. Nothing else will get you through it, lol. Hell, if you have enough money, go buy or win the car and just practice that track with it until you know what's goin on, then go race it, or just keep at it. But it's ALL about driving, maintaining control, and exit speed. Exit speed and breaking point is key to these races. You can't spend too much time on the brake, and you can't spend too much time on the throttle during corners, if you screw up an apex, you're done, mistakes have to be FEW and far between.

Just keep at it and you'll get it, I know i'm still trying, lol.

Those missions are going to be difficult I read. I can't wait doing them my self :)
BTW what cars do you use for the mission or do go get a car? And how many missions are there?

justin_tyme
I'm having BIG troubles with the missions in Mission Hall. I think this is going to keep me from reaching 100%.

lol

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but to be blunt, if you can't do these missions, you dont' deserve 100%.

Why should 100% be easy?

As for waiting on the start line... uh I think that's the whole point; it makes the race more difficult. GT3's difficulty needed a kick up the backside. Maybe GT4 gets that in these challenges.

It's not as if it will require a perfect lap. At the time it seems like a perfect lap, because you do not have the skill or insight to see where you have been losing time, making mistakes. In reality, you can always make a few mistakes and get away with it - *if you are good enough*.

There will be 3 stages:

Beginner: You can't achieve the laptime even if you don't make any mistakes, because you aren't good enough.

Intermediate: You can't achieve the laptime if you make any mistakes, because you aren't good enough. You can achieve the laptime if you don't make any mistakes, because you are good enough to do that.

Expert: You can afford to make mistakes and still beat the time, because you are good enough.

I thought getting gold in any of the international license tests in GT2 was already impossible.... I'm sure these missions will be a nightmare for me and will kill at least one controller.

tha_con
yep, good driving IS enough, and is all that you have. There is nothing else, no strategy, etc. You have to LEARN the track, and then learn the car. Nothing else will get you through it, lol. Hell, if you have enough money, go buy or win the car and just practice that track with it until you know what's goin on, then go race it, or just keep at it. But it's ALL about driving, maintaining control, and exit speed. Exit speed and breaking point is key to these races. You can't spend too much time on the brake, and you can't spend too much time on the throttle during corners, if you screw up an apex, you're done, mistakes have to be FEW and far between.

Just keep at it and you'll get it, I know i'm still trying, lol.

Sounds like this will be my favourite part of GT4.

In GT3 I enjoyed the licensetests and timetrials the most of any part of the game when I sometimes really had to figth to learn everything about the track to get gold or best time.

Come on guys, they aren't THAT hard. The license test aren't challenging, at least these can be. A few remind me of some of the chase test in GT4p, I enjoyed those. I enjoyed each one of them and only a few of the last ones took me more than a few tries....

Just stick to it, keep practicing and you'll learn. They will make you a better driver.

yea, you gotta be perfect......i did the One Lap Magic with the imporeaza Rally car on Tsukuba and the SLR on the ring.....i had to be freakin perfect....and i barely passed the leading car to take the lead like .2 seconds before we reached the finish line...i saved the video of the Impreza

F310B
lol

Sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but to be blunt, if you can't do these missions, you dont' deserve 100%.

Why should 100% be easy?

Where did I ever say it should be?

I just stated it will be hard for most folks, probably including me, to complete the game because of these missions. By the way they are most welcome, and I am enjoying the challenge. I have now 9 missions left and they all seem close to impossible, but that could be said for the ones I actually completed, so I look forward to even more hours of practice...

On topic:
Is the one lap magics comparable to Prologues last "license" tests (driving school) where in you should be able to place first before you finish the race? If yes then it's THAT hard but not impossible, right?

Off-topic:
Brenton8907 how did you get 100% in GT2? Highest I got is 98.2%.. Just asking.

The one at NY was tough, but that is a track I really don't know well yet. I haven't even been able to come close on a couple of the other new tracks, but I passed the one at Monaco on my first try, and I know that track pretty well. So I'll join the chorus and say, "practice." I'm sure there are several places on the new tracks to cut time that I haven't found yet. Once I've found those, the missions will be MUCH easier, I predict.

meister_dan
On topic:
Is the one lap magics comparable to Prologues last "license" tests (driving school) where in you should be able to place first before you finish the race? If yes then it's THAT hard but not impossible, right?

Off-topic:
Brenton8907 how did you get 100% in GT2? Highest I got is 98.2%.. Just asking.

I know the answer to this... apparently if you change your language to German... you can now enter Opel car races instead of not being able to enter them as they were called vauxhall... you need to complete those races to get 100%...

(I read that here the other day!)

C.

I would appreciate if someone that has GT4 and has completed some races in the mission hall would provide us with a good write up describing what area the cars, tracks and challenges in those missions.

I want to salivate!

Well I can remember you drive the Takata NSX around suzuka against Honda's starting from the Honda S500 to some of the later Type R's. Another is driving a Corvette C5R against other Corvettes, starting with the C1 around Sear's Point.

Having not played GT4, I can't comment specifically about the Mission Hall yet, but having completed both GT3 and GT4 Prologue, I have some idea of the difficulties that are being discussed here... I think that anyone is capable of completing the game, but to get 100%, you're going to have to commit alot of time and energy to it. In this respect, the GT series has always provided a decent challenge to proper gamers! Some license tests and races in GT3 required a 'quantum leap' of improvement, such as the final Formula GT race, which I found impossible using Automatic transmission, and as such was forced to learn to play using Manual... I've never played in Automatic again.... the most essential ingredient, aside from sheer determination, is patience... be prepared to spend a few solid hours if you are attempting a really difficult mission... it took me one 4 hour session to Gold License test S6 in GT3 for example... it might sound like a serious waste of time to some people, but to me, it was a pivotal day that improved my skills as a GT player! From then, I went on to finish the game.

In other words, always keep in the back of your mind that you WILL do it eventually, and don't be scared to use these forums to pick up handy tips along the way... some decent write-ups by people who have passed these missions will no doubt appear shortly, and they will prove invaluable, not only to learning players, but also to experienced players who wish to improve that bit more...

TM

I haven't got GT4 either but compared to my experience with the last gt3 S license test, it was horrible the first time I had to complete it I really bored me to death coase I knew that I couldn't go further with the game untill I had passed that damn license test, I finally got after maybe 26 hours in total. A few weeks ago i started gt3 all over again and had come up to that license test again.
It took me just two times!!!! Although it wasn't gold it just took me 5 min.

Tip: go find a race with other cars without any time limit, pick a car the same as the AI has and just try different cornering right behind an AI's car. Now you might pas the car anyway but look carefully for the FASTEST result. Just remember: it's all about the cornering. Go through all the corners this way and try to combine them in that hard challenge. Also the way to take corner itself may not be the fastest, but it can line you up better for a second corner

There are 4 very difficult missions, the rest of them isn't thát hard imho. The only thing that's so *beep*ing frustrating is the waiting. It's stupid.

Yes the waiting is a *****. Especially on that Mercedes race, which is the longest wait and the most difficult race.

I've got all the mission races done except for like 6 or 7 of them, and all I can offer is "practice makes perfect." I can say a little more for the Amuse S2000 Street Car/Suzuka race though: make your lines really really smooth, or the bloody assists kill your speed.

The Skyline GT-R Slipstream Battle is a little different though. I'm having trouble trying to get the AI to cooperate with my leapfrogging strategy...Shame they don't go full speed through the turns...

Can wait to try the Mission out! Would like to see more pics or vids from the mission to see the hail mary driving it takes to win in an event. Saw a vid of Mission 13 from dragonmaster. He was 3 seconds back on the last lap at Opera Paris and made it within the few last corners to win. 👍 👍

ixnay
don't look at the other cars as obstacles. look at them as tools. Slipstream them.

Does anyone know if these 'magic missions' have the same rules as the final tests in Prologue? - no touching the other cars and no trips across the grass? - i found this to be a great feature in prologue, it greatly improved my driving, even though i would have previous classed myself as a pretty tasty GT driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back