Official Playstation Store Thread

So, I decided this would be a great spot for people to talk about things available on the playstation store, tips, tricks, and workarounds.

Demos:

MotorStorm - Definately worth the download, VERY good demo, extremely entertaining, I'm hopefull for an update in the future, or a final release very soon.

F1 CE - Also fun, displays the amazing differences between aids. This game can go from noob friendly to nail biting with the switch of a few driving aids. Very good stuff (and it looks amazing as well).

Genji - Um....what is there to be said about Genji that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan?

Downloadable Games:

Blast Factor - Good demo, extremely short, full game offers a lot more. The full game retails for $7.99 and has a ton of levels, and different enemies. Offers more depth than Geometry wars, and is very entertaining in the late stages. Really good for breaks from other games.

Cash Guns Chaos - Eh, I'm not fond of this game particularly, very boring, lots like geometry wars, only 3D and blah. Never purchased the full version.

Lemmings - I absolutely LOVE this game. Lots of levels, addictive puzzle gameplay, and catchy tunes. Definately worth the purchase of $2.99.

Go! Sudoku - I love sudoku, so I'm biased, but this is a great game, especially at the discount price of $2.99 (for each pack above the starter). Hundreds of puzzles, plus online multiplayer makes this a winner in my book.

Getting Asian Market goods: There's a trick to getting free downloads from the HK and JPN markets, basically you have to register a new account with your area as "Hong Kong" instead of "United States". This will put you in the Hong Kong market, and you can download the GT: HD trailers and a few other exclusive to Asia items. You cannot, however, purchase the premium content (things you have to buy).

Downloading Tips: I highly recommend downloading at night, around 9pm CST, as it's the time of day when the east coast is going to sleep, and the west coast is still "at work" / "rush hour". I wouldn't download updates (unless you have to) until night time as well.

In regards to downloading updates, they are extremely slow through the PS3, so I always download to the PC first then us a USB flash to the PS3. I really wish you could do that with other download content as well. The PS3 download network seems extremely slow for me.

In regards to downloading updates, they are extremely slow through the PS3, so I always download to the PC first then us a USB flash to the PS3. I really wish you could do that with other download content as well. The PS3 download network seems extremely slow for me.

I think it'd dependent on the area you live in and the saturation of PS3's there. My downloads are rather fast, updates usually taking less than 5-10 minutes, while I hear horror stories from others of extremely long download times?

I don't know, but I usually do my updates between 9pm - 7am (at night or before work).

I haven't had a problem with download speeds at all.

The Loco Roco Christmas level, yes!

Going with a wired connection helps, the Wi-Fi was un-usable almost for downloads from the Store. The wired connection is about half as slow as my computer wired connection on this 3.5mb cable connection. Go figure. I'm sure location has a lot to do with it.

Here's a step-by-step way to get a second "Hong Kong" account for your PS3 which JR mentioned in his first post. You can get GTHD and RR7 demos.

1) Enter region as Japan and Bday as usual
2) Master Account / Sub Account (select first option)
3) Scroll through agreement, right button is accept.
4) Sign-In ID: E-mail address, password, confirm password, checkbox for remember password, security question, answer to security question
5) Create online ID, select right button to accept
6) First Name, Last Name, two unknown (enter anything), left radio button is male, right is female, select right button to accept.
7) Select second option (this chooses not to enter billing info I think)
8 ) First box numbers (I entered 6 or 7 kinda like a zip code), second box select anything, tokyo, 23 tokyo, nothing, tokyo, select right box (you can type in other stuff, I just took a chance and typed this stuff and it worked)
9) Leave box blank, select right button to accept
10) Select right button to accept (confirm ID stuff)
11) Select only button available
12) Now select your avatar
13) Sits on this next screen for a bit, you can either select the second option "NO" or cancel out using the circle button.

Here's a step-by-step way to get a second "Hong Kong" account for your PS3 which JR mentioned in his first post. You can get GTHD and RR7 demos.

1) Enter region as Japan and Bday as usual
2) Master Account / Sub Account (select first option)
3) Scroll through agreement, right button is accept.
4) Sign-In ID: E-mail address, password, confirm password, checkbox for remember password, security question, answer to security question
5) Create online ID, select right button to accept
6) First Name, Last Name, two unknown (enter anything), left radio button is male, right is female, select right button to accept.
7) Select second option (this chooses not to enter billing info I think)
8 ) First box numbers (I entered 6 or 7 kinda like a zip code), second box select anything, tokyo, 23 tokyo, nothing, tokyo, select right box (you can type in other stuff, I just took a chance and typed this stuff and it worked)
9) Leave box blank, select right button to accept
10) Select right button to accept (confirm ID stuff)
11) Select only button available
12) Now select your avatar
13) Sits on this next screen for a bit, you can either select the second option "NO" or cancel out using the circle button.

The GTHD demo isn't out until xmas time, but the trailers are up for download.

Good post. I was too lazy to do it.

Just curious, how long are game downloads taking for you guys? I seem to have a long download wait time for games, yet updates are fast (5-10 minutes).

The Resistance demo download took over two hours. Other games around 1 hour or about 45 minutes.

I really think it's area specific. Game download for me take no longer than 30-45 minutes at the MAX. But I'm in the MidWest where the amount of PS3 users is probably significantly less than Cali.

edit: Also, are you using wired connection or wireless? When I tried via wireless, download speeds were "slower" but not by a large margin. It took me about 35 minutes to download MotorStorm, but on WiFi it took me around 55 minutes to download F1, by comparison.

But, I do still think htat your area has a large impact on it. I wonder if you choose a different state for your registration process if it will assign you to another server somewhere, which could possibly increase your download speeds? It's worth a shot I suppose?

My PS3 connection is very slow for both the Store and for Updates. I'm in NW Montana where I think the entire state got about 200 PS3's. Anyways, internet downloads of the updates via their website are at least 4 times faster than through the PS3 interface. The PS3 is using a Wired connection on a 3.5mbps connection.

My PS3 connection is very slow for both the Store and for Updates. I'm in NW Montana where I think the entire state got about 200 PS3's. Anyways, internet downloads of the updates via their website are at least 4 times faster than through the PS3 interface. The PS3 is using a Wired connection on a 3.5mbps connection.

I'm thinking it's possible that from colorado and westward is on one set of servers, while the midwest is on another, and west of missouri is on another?

People in Kansas, Nebraska, MO, and OK that I know say they don't have slow speeds...but most of the people on the west and east do?

I don't know...very odd indeed. I'm on a 4mbps connection, so mine shouldn't be much different from yours, so that's all I can chalk it up to. Of course, I do all my downloads at 6am when I wake up for work, so maybe that has something to do with it?

GT: HD Demo Details!!!

December 20, 2006 - Sony is delivering the ultimate Christmas gift to Japan this year: a free demo of Gran Turismo 5, set for download starting December 24 exclusively via the PlayStation Store. Thanks to Famitsu, we were able to relive our childhoods and get a sneak peak at the gift in advance.

According to the latest issue of the magazine, the demo, titled Gran Turismo HD Concept, will ship with one course and ten cars. The course is the all new Eiger Nordwand, and you'll be able to race it normal and reverse.

The car list has mostly Japanese vehicles, but there are some high profile foreign models in the bunch. Here's the full list:

Suzuki Cappuccino '95
Mazda Eunos Roadster '89
Honda Integra Type R'04
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV GSR'96
Infinity G35 Coupe
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR'05
Lotus Elise 111R'04
Nissan Sky Liner GT-R V Spec II '94
Toyota Celica GT-FOUR Rally Car '95
Ferrari 599'06

You start the demo off exclusively with the Cappuccino, but by clearing the time attack mode in a pre-set time, you'll be able to unlock the next car. Eventually, you'll unlock a drift trial mode.

The magazine also scored an interview with Kazunori Yamauchi. The Gran Turismo series producer talked about how the demo came about, and what we can expect in the coming year from his hard working team at Polyphony Digital.

Asked to explain why Sony decided to skip out on a retail release for Gran Turismo HD, and instead focus on GT5, Yamauchi admitted that following the Tokyo Game Show, gamers expressed their desire for the full game. He made specific mention of overseas gamers, which means that if you complained on a message board, your voice might have been heard.

Yamauchi spoke vaguely on the relationship between GT5 and GTHD. While not getting into specifics, he stated that his team wants to put both GTHD Premium and GTHD Classic into the new title. Asked if Sony intends on carrying out its ambitious plans for downloadable content, Yamauchi stated that there has yet to be a decision on whether or not to carry the business model over.

On the topic of the GTHD Concept demo itself, Yamauchi revealed that the Christmas Eve download will include Polyphony's next generation driving simulation engine. According to the producer, this engine fixes such areas as drift control and drift angle. As previously announced, the demo won't have online races, but it will offer network rankings separated according to the various cars. Replays from the top ranked players will be available for download, so you can see how the best of the best race.

More downloadable content will become available before GT5's full release. Yamauchi promised a photo mode of some form to become available for download. He wouldn't give a specific time frame.

Yamauchi also promised an official announcement for Gran Turismo 5 before the next Tokyo Motor Show, scheduled for October 27, 2007. We plan on getting close and personal with the GTHD Concept demo until then.

Thanks for the update JR!

👍 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR'05
👍 Lotus Elise 111R'04
👍👍 Ferrari 599'06

On the topic of the GTHD Concept demo itself, Yamauchi revealed that the Christmas Eve download will include Polyphony's next generation driving simulation engine. According to the producer, this engine fixes such areas as drift control and drift angle.
👍👍

As previously announced, the demo won't have online races
👎👎

Replays from the top ranked players will be available for download, so you can see how the best of the best race.
👍

Yamauchi also promised an official announcement for Gran Turismo 5 before the next Tokyo Motor Show, scheduled for October 27, 2007.
Which unfortunately means GT5 is not going to be available for a long time, possibly even late 2008 considering the size and scope of this project.

Afterall, the changes from GT4 to GT5 by all accounts is going to be significantly greater then the jump from GT3 to GT4, which in itself was plagued by lengthy delays.

In the case of GT5 it must be many times more challenging due to the fact that they are having to program for an entirely new platform, with exponentially greater and more complex graphics. Hopefully, the demise of the full scale version of GT:HD means they are allocating all their resources to GT5, and thus keeping the delays at a minimum.

Pako, I'm curious, how did you access these downloads with your PC? Yesterday I accidentally found out I'll be unwrapping a 60GB PlayStation 3 on Christmas day (:D) and I'd love to already have these demos on-hand! (I can only imagine the rush to grab these demos after all the other new PS3's are opened on Christmas day... :scared:)

Pako, I'm curious, how did you access these downloads with your PC? Yesterday I accidentally found out I'll be unwrapping a 60GB PlayStation 3 on Christmas day (:D) and I'd love to already have these demos on-hand! (I can only imagine the rush to grab these demos after all the other new PS3's are opened on Christmas day... :scared:)

I think he's talking about firmware updates, not demos themselves.

Ah, yes, I should have read his post more care. :dunce:

Hey Jordan, since you'll be recieving one Christmas day, ensure you download the GT: HD demo from the Hong Kong store. I'm sure people would love some videos :)

From what I understand, you'll be able to share replays over the PS3 network, or at least copy and trade them via PC.

Ohhhh, you don't have to worry about me not grabbing that demo... :D

lol... so jordan, how did you "accidentally" discover your presant, shaking them seems like it would risk hurting it :sly:

Ah, yes, I should have read his post more care. :dunce:

;) Yep. It would be nice to be able to download the demo's through the PC. Let the internet help share the bandwidth demands to download content to the PS3. So you accidentally noticed you had a 60gb under the tree? The wait has got to be killing you. :lol: Good things come to those....

New stuff on the store:

• MediEvil for your PSP
  • Resistance: Behind the Scenes (audio)
  • Resistance: Behind the Scenes (PS3)
  • Resistance: Behind the Scenes (weapons)

Update to those who want JPN premium goods:

Register an HK account, address does not matter.
Have a Debit Card ready.

Put in all of your Debit card into TO THE "T"!!!

Exit the store, and go to "Account Management" and then you can set up wallet transactions of $40HK each. Do this twice for $80HK (or however much you want). THen, once you have $80HK, if you buy something, you can simply "add" the remaining amount. THe problem is, the store will not authorize anything above $50HK IIRC.

So, have fun downloading! I'm getting T5: DR right now :)

Update to those who want JPN premium goods:

Register an HK account, address does not matter.
Have a Debit Card ready.

Put in all of your Debit card into TO THE "T"!!!

Exit the store, and go to "Account Management" and then you can set up wallet transactions of $40HK each. Do this twice for $80HK (or however much you want). THen, once you have $80HK, if you buy something, you can simply "add" the remaining amount. THe problem is, the store will not authorize anything above $50HK IIRC.

So, have fun downloading! I'm getting T5: DR right now :)

Isn't that game for the PSP?

Isn't that game for the PSP?

It as ported and downgraded for the PSP. The PS3 version is arcade perfect (note: lacking all modes of PSP version) but it also runs in 1080p.

PS3 version features:

Arcade Mode
Ghost Battle
VS Battle
Gallery - View 3 DR endings and buy images. Reportedly more to come.
Options

I have to say, Sony has been good to me in December.

But no demo, huh?

Now all we need are the Resident Evil 5 and MGS4 demos and this would be the best gaming December in a long time.

I cannot believe Resident Evil 5 is still hush-hush since E3 2005. Amazing. It's like the game just dropped off of the face of the Earth.

Nope, no demo Solid. If you're not a big Tekken Fan, then I dont' suggest buying and downloading the import, as it's mostly in Japanese and what not. I just got it because I'm hosting a tourney in Mid Jan, and Tekken happened to be on it, so the freshest version would be awesome.

Grip Shift released early this morning for $9.99. Both a Demo, and the Full game area vailable.

Downloaded the demo and wasn't overly impressed, but perhaps there's more to it, I only played for 2 minutes afterall.

Grip Shift released early this morning for $9.99. Both a Demo, and the Full game area vailable.

Downloaded the demo and wasn't overly impressed, but perhaps there's more to it, I only played for 2 minutes afterall.

The first few levels are very lame, almost a disgrace. However, the later levels get a lot better.

I think my only nitpick is that the steering is touchy and that the voice you hear when falling off a cliff makes you want someone to hit you with a blunt object.

25 levels in the demo. I did about 7 and had to go to work. There are more cars maybe they dont all handle like that. 120mb demo fast download too.

Back