Official Toyota GR Supra GT Cup Launches April 2019

• Thread starter AKps3
  • 475 comments
Somehow ended up in the alien lobby. This was my initial reaction when I saw NZ, Lester, RC, and others in the list thing:

8utvfzhqqd331.jpg

Interlagos is one of my weakest tracks. Qualified 10th, finished 9th.. 8th... one of those two. Took home 15xx points, so today was a good day.
Onto the mountain. I'll need my hiking boots.

Good race @Mistah_MCA I got a silly penalty turn 3 lap one and it separated me from the main pack. Every lap after that I lost a couple tenths down each straight to the rest of you guys until the race was over.

Good race @Mistah_MCA I got a silly penalty turn 3 lap one and it separated me from the main pack. Every lap after that I lost a couple tenths down each straight to the rest of you guys until the race was over.

Did a lot better than I expected.
Last lap, I messed up on T1; released the brake too fast and the Supra started getting flashbacks to its pre-update days. Almost cut T1 but was able to slide away from getting a penalty.

Last 2 laps, 7th place turned into a fortess and defended really well. I couldn't pass him at all.

E - My "thought" as I entered the lobby.

Last edited:
Have any other countries run this yet? Bathurst this weekend...

Edit: did some practice laps, almost hit my optimum time of 2:27.149 but lost 2 tenths in the last corner. :indiff: Not bad though. Just squeaked past @Mistah_MCA .

IMG_20190712_225100.jpg

Last edited:
Had a cracker race in Oceania top split. After missing last week due to being away and only came back late this week, I was down on practice time. Only had 30 mins of practice before the race began :lol: Quali 12th, short shifted and pitted on lap 4 (was running as high as 6th before the stop, only 3 secs off the lead car :eek:). Came out 10th, overtook a car and 2 cars had a massive shunt on the last chicane so ended up 7th. Highest points tally all season :D

The top 5 drivers all no pitted surprisingly. From looking at the replay I think they were using FM6 across the top of the mountain and a more aggressive FM on the two straights (short shifting about half the rev bar). I tried fuel saving in practice but my T-GT's rotary dials are all acting up and switching randomly on their own :mad: (classic Thrustmaster reliability) so it's too much risk to be switching back and forth in a race situation. Total race time prolly wouldn't have changed much though.

@Famine had a front row seat to how my race just went

I got a penalty for rubbing the guy in front of me who ran wide and into the wall at the bottom of the mountain. Then I got wiped out at the chicane by someone torpedoing it. From 10th to 17th in the space of the last half a lap.

Then I got wiped out at the chicane by someone torpedoing it.
Was it the Czech driver? He tapped me in Frog Hollow* then ran off the inside to give me a 4s penalty - he went from 13th to 9th in that last lap.

*Not a euphemism

Was it the Czech driver? He tapped me in Frog Hollow* then ran off the inside to give me a 4s penalty - he went from 13th to 9th in that last lap.

*Not a euphemism
No, it was the British guy in a white Supra. I saw yours as well because I had no idea where you could have picked up 4 seconds from. It almost made me feel good about my own ending. Sorry if I backed you into him.

The top 5 drivers all no pitted surprisingly. From looking at the replay I think they were using FM6 across the top of the mountain and a more aggressive FM on the two straights (short shifting about half the rev bar)
Does it say how much they had left at the end?

Surprised that I was the only A+ rank in my room. Did a single lap in qualifying, changed tires then after getting some space put it on pole by .928. Spent most of the race on map 3-4 but used 5-6 over the mountain the last couple laps. Crossed the line with 0.1 laps left.

IMG_20190713_143442.jpg

Another day in the alien lobby (we're all gonna be rescued on Sept. 20!). I didn't do too hot on Quali, but I got into the groove during the race.

... until my front tires decided to check out early.

Last lap, I go a bit wide on the downhill turn that leads to the back straight. Person behind me catches up and is sneaking up to my left. I brake in time, they barely misjudge it and pushes me wide. S10, F10. I'm not even mad, that was some good fun.

I missed today’s race because the game froze as it was loading the lobby. Really disappointing.

This last race was anxiety inducing.

After hours of practicing, I couldn't nail down a good time. I had a hard time focusing to get the times I got from practice lobbies

In the race, it's a claustrophobic 🤬-fest. I get penalized (someone tried squeezing in but barely misjudged the space), fall from 11th(?) To 18th, to come back to 9th at the end.

I'm going to need to take a long walk after this. Anyone wanna join me?

Last edited:
This last race was anxiety inducing.

After hours of practicing, I couldn't nail down a good time. I had a hard time focusing to get the times I got from practice lobbies

In the race, it's a claustrophobic 🤬-fest. I get penalized (someone tried squeezing in but barely misjudged the space), fall from 11th(?) To 18th, to come back to 9th at the end.

I'm going to need to take a long walk after this. Anyone wanna join me?

I've pretty much shelved my GT Sport Series attempts. Manufacturers BoP is leaving half of the available selections no where near as competitive as certain "favored" brands. As for the Supra RZ Cup, I love the series and the competitiveness but can't get any better points due to my DR rating which is about 44,000. Since I use one account for everything, my rating isn't as high as it could be if I had a practice account and an officially registered competition account. While I have thought about this, it turns out some players in certain "Teams" actually use multiple drivers on a single account according to who is the best at the determined course and car class setup. After learning this, I have lost faith in the accountability of qualifying for the World Tour and World Final events thus will no longer waste my time practicing and stressing about those extra tenths of a second. Also, don't care for the toxicity of some of the more self-righteous players assuming they are better than everyone if only they could get by...which leads to shunting and dive bombing to pass which goes against the whole driving etiquette video one watches when starting up the game. Wish I could have made the top split lobby but I lack the DR and the patience to get 50,000+ in Daily Races where etiquette is almost none existent except for maybe 1 of 10 races.

I've pretty much shelved my GT Sport Series attempts. Manufacturers BoP is leaving half of the available selections no where near as competitive as certain "favored" brands. As for the Supra RZ Cup, I love the series and the competitiveness but can't get any better points due to my DR rating which is about 44,000. Since I use one account for everything, my rating isn't as high as it could be if I had a practice account and an officially registered competition account. While I have thought about this, it turns out some players in certain "Teams" actually use multiple drivers on a single account according to who is the best at the determined course and car class setup. After learning this, I have lost faith in the accountability of qualifying for the World Tour and World Final events thus will no longer waste my time practicing and stressing about those extra tenths of a second. Also, don't care for the toxicity of some of the more self-righteous players assuming they are better than everyone if only they could get by...which leads to shunting and dive bombing to pass which goes against the whole driving etiquette video one watches when starting up the game. Wish I could have made the top split lobby but I lack the DR and the patience to get 50,000+ in Daily Races where etiquette is almost none existent except for maybe 1 of 10 races.

People are sharing accounts to get to world finals now? That’s bull!

Your DR is where you want it to be, since you get more points for finishing at the front of the 2nd split than you get for being at the back of the top split. So far you’ve gotten the max amount of points since your DR is where it is. If you increase it you’ll be racing for less points.

I wish my DR was where yours was. I’m always right around 50k so it’s always a crapshoot if I’m in the top split racing for 15th or the second split in the top 5.

I agree that the driving standards have gotten worse again. It seems to come in waves. Most of the first half of the this season was generally clean but the last month and a half or so things seem to have deteriorated, since I guess people are desperate to put big scores up.

Last edited:
Ruined a potentially good result at the Tokyo race because I crushed someone against the wall at the pit hairpin exit. I was so busy managing fuel map in the race I didn't see him there (with the line he was taking, I thought he would've went into the pits). Normally I'd have my radar on but with the amount of fuel management in these races I can't switch back and forth quickly enough. Got 2 secs penalty and lost a potential 4th/5th. Still ended up 7th though so not too bad, but looking at the rest of the calendar this is probably my last chance for big points. Anywhoo, it is what it is. I wish the HUD is more customizable. I'd put the radar where the big track map is, and redesign the centre gauge to show all 4 MFD options at once in 4 small circles (BB, fuel, TC and torque split if available) OR sector split timing if you switch over.

Your DR is where you want it to be, since you get more points for finishing at the front of the 2nd split than you get for being at the back of the top split. So far you’ve gotten the max amount of points since your DR is where it is. If you increase it you’ll be racing for less points.

I wish my DR was where yours was. I’m always right around 50k so it’s always a crapshoot if I’m in the top split racing for 15th or the second split in the top 5.

I agree that the driving standards have gotten worse again. It seems to come in waves. Most of the first half of the this season was generally clean but the last month and a half or so things seem to have deteriorated, since I guess people are desperate to put big scores up.

Here in Oceania DR is meaningless in high split lobbies. The top split lobby literally contains everyone from DR 40,000 - 75,000 as there isn't enough fast drivers. I've stopped racing the FIA first and second slots because I'll just be a backmarker running a lonely race. If I drop my DR, I get easier races but it's still a lottery because 1) there are fast drivers who also sandbag, 2) you might get lumped with crashers which can ruin quali/first corner, and 3) if it's an unpopular combo the total DR will be low and you don't get good points anyway even if you win. So now I just do the third slot because you still get some aliens at the front to boost points, but at least I have a chance for a midfield finish. I notice too that Saturdays and Superstar weekends tend to bring out a lot of desperate people and races are more crash fest than usual. So ironically I practice less for those races because I know they will be throwaway ones. IMO, unless you're World Tour material (e.g. Top 10 in your area), don't stress too much about points and just focus on having a good race with people close to your skill level.

It's a mess, and the end user shouldn't have to compensate for the deficiencies of the DR/points system by gaming the daily races. I think PD calibrated the DR/points based on the most popular regions (Japan/EMEA), and it works reasonably well there. But for Americas & Oceania it's really suboptimal. The fastest drivers still get to WT so I guess in PD's eyes all is working well. But for those slightly below that level there's no easy solution unfortunately.

I had no internet on the weekend so I missed Supra Cup :( too bad it's one of the few races they decided to do commentary on. @Mistah_MCA looked like you had a decent result!

This was one of my most nerve-wracking races haha. I couldn't get a good qualifying time (kept on hitting walls), so I got a high 1:19 instead of a low 1:19.

Then, I accidentally squeeze someone into the wall on lap 3 and get a 5sec penalty.

How I made a huge comeback without effing up again, I will never know.

Had a good qualifying and was looking to get better points than in any previous race, then disconnected from network. And that is that. Only 1 shot, why?

Just had my best race in this championship, 16th to 7th for 974 points. Staying on the track at Willow Springs is important, who knew?

Well done! Keep at it and you'll find yourself getting faster and faster all the time! At Willow, staying on track is everything because when you go off, it's by a few hundred feet due to the high speeds and lack of barriers.

Had my best points haul in any championship race (832pts) and boosted my DR to over 20000 for the first time ever, and a win, tainted however by a bone of contention at the start of lap 7. The guy who eventually finished third, running ahead of me took a defensive line into turn one, I stayed wide, he then switched back to the outside approaching the braking zone, my response was to then go to the inside where I was 100% sure the two cars could have made it through the turn safely, we didnt, I think he was pissed, but I do not know who was in the right!

Last edited:
Had my best points haul in any championship race (832pts) and boosted my DR to over 20000 for the first time ever, and a win, tainted however by a bone of contention at the start of lap 7. The guy who eventually finished third, running ahead of me took a defensive line into turn one, I stayed wide, he then switched back to the outside approaching the braking zone, my response was to then go to the inside where I was 100% sure the two cars could have made it through the turn safely, we didnt, I think he was pissed, but I do not know who was in the right!

According to FIA regulations, the lead car has control. Down a straight, the lead car must choose a lane before the braking zone. Changing your line just before the braking zone is condsidered illegal blocking. If you had to lift when he crossed to the outside, he was clearly blocking and switched his line late. There are specific distance rules if you look into it but racing etiquette seems to be getting worse with the popularity of everyone watching the World Tour events and everyone wanting to race in one.

Terrible experience this weekend on the Supra Cup. Qualy was ok, and then there was lap 1. Got absolutely destroyed. That's the problem in CSA region, most people don't race this competition and then a lot of drivers that aren't top tier qualify normally, are in this. Just horrible racecraft.

Back