Oh, oh, oh, I'm making a Ludicrous Claim®! Read the first post!

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 5,760 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
Don't you just love it? Seeing as how this is a community based around a Racing Video Game, we often get the excitable members that like to make ludicrous claims. Yes, you've seen them.

"I've got a 700hp Supra that's a daily driver"

"I've got a Mustang slammed on 20's that'll smoke anything you've got"

"My dad drives a 600hp Porsche"

"I drift a Skyline"

"I drag a 685hp mustang"

The usual claimant is in their early teens and loves to quote rear wheel horse power and dyno charts and $6000 in suspension upgrades, among other fabrications. Along with this comes the attitude/ego to match the size of the engine Horsepower.

In three years here, I've seen some fantastically fun ones. I'm sure that others can come up with a few as well.

I'm putting out a standard challenge. If you make a ludicrous claim, you need to post a picture of it, along with a hand written sign on the car. The sign shall have "GTplanet.net" and your member name on it.

If you can't post that image (Hey, you can dump $6000 on a suspension, $15 on a digicam at the local store isn't much) then your claim will be stamped "ludicrous" and you'll be cast out, as well as made the laughing stock.

If you guys find fun ones, post em up in here

AO

This is a good but almost pointless idea. With photshop I can put myself into any car on this site not to mention put my username next to it too. Its just too hard to tell these days.
Here is a better idea.
Make a video and put your name on a piece of paper and video tape it next to the car. Now thats a better idea. Its a lot harder to cheat a video. But pics- very easy.

Race Idiot
Besides, isn't poking fun at individual users against the rules of this site?
So is distributing false information, so it cancels eachother out quite nicely.

Cosmic
Is this a good example? I was looking into ''cars in general'' forum and I tought I could find something there.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/member.php?u=63224
Ahh... The difference there, is he posted the images (sans hand written sign) in addition to the ludicrous claim. Although his claim is not as outrageous as others.

Its a tough call, but I don't think his claim (The video would be nice though) is ludicrous.

:D

AO

One other final point. What if that member doesnt read this thread. Are we going to automatically assume they are lying? I guess we could PM this thread to them. It seems like this thread is just looking to provoke fights and arguments unless a video is presented. And it would have to be a moving video. Not a screenshot with a video. Anyone could edit a stationary video with a piece of paper stating a members name on it.
:edit: For the record. I have never lied on the internet and never plan on it either. I have always backed up everything I say. ;)

Hey, here's a picture of my car.

That's a hand-drawn sign. I'm holding it off the camera but I'm there just to the right of the picture. If you squint you can probably see a shadow of me or something : )

Attachments

• intro_foto.jpg
    intro_foto.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,359
danoff
Hey, here's a picture of my car.

That's a hand-drawn sign. I'm holding it off the camera but I'm there just to the right of the picture. If you squint you can probably see a shadow of me or something : )
Whoa, your ride rules man!

CAMAROBOY69
Sweet ride. can I get it from another angle, and one inside? :D

CAMAROBOY69
One other final point. What if that member doesnt read this thread. Are we going to automatically assume they are lying? I guess we could PM this thread to them. It seems like this thread is just looking to provoke fights and arguments unless a video is presented. And it would have to be a moving video. Not a screenshot with a video. Anyone could edit a stationary video with a piece of paper stating a members name on it.
:edit: For the record. I have never lied on the internet and never plan on it either. I have always backed up everything I say. ;)
I have no doubt that someone will end up with a bruised ego from this.

But I've seen too many people make wild claims of a car they drive. Hence asking for the image. Yes, you could easily photoshop in a piece of paper to an image. However, most of the members here would pick up on it and ask for it from a few different angles, as well as inside the car. It's been tried, and people have been burned. Others have been put to this test and fully respected after the query.

In matters like this, I've eaten my words a few times, but exposed the claim on more than that.

This also raises awareness to other members that they can call out the claimant as soon as they post the ludicrous claim.

AO

Whoa, your ride rules man!

I know. I could totally smoke you off the line. The other day I pulled up next to this guy in an F1 car at a stoplight (don't ask), but I was like YOU SUCK! And wasted him off the line. He didn't reallize I had Nitrous and boost and like a turbo and a um supercharger and like a jet engine on the back.... yea.

Edit: Correction...OUR ride.
http://img125.echo.cx/img125/5300/danoff1xy.jpg

As long as you help with the payments. :)

:lol: This thread is getting better by the minute. Im trying to avoid it but danoffs last post was quite funny. I have to mention I was with him too and he had his eyes closed when he beat that F1 too. It was like uber sweet.

I've just fitted a stage 2 turbo to my 406 Coupe.

turboengine.jpg

You can see it there. It's the bit that says "Stage II Turbo".

I'm still saving up for the stage 4, although I've just recently found out it's possible to get a stage 5!

Cosmic
Is this a good example? I was looking into ''cars in general'' forum and I tought I could find something there.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/member.php?u=63224

Actually, I say the info in his sig is not out of line, and in fact, within the realm of believable. Throttle body, cams, gears, headers, exhaust, DRs... Low 12s is not out of the question for a car like that with the right driver on board at a fast track. The 3.43 rear end and DRs are a big help there. The trap speeds seem a little high, but I admit I don't know much about the LT1s.

M

There is one that comes to me when I think about it though. In This post Famine states he cured cancer in 200 people. Could have been a joke. If that is true that would be incredible information to post in here. I did a search and didnt find it anywhere.

Exactly! The members here can pick the points out quite easily.

However, there are others that make the same claims and it's not feasible.

Yes, the member I quoted above was quoting 685rwhp, before his signature changed.

That's one I'd like to see called upon (and yes, I did send him a PM)

AO

The other night a few buddies of mine and yours truly were on an automotive forum and got into a chat room with this 13 year old that had a 800 hp Civic, that miracously turned into a 700hp civic after he said he was running stock injectors, then it went all down hill from there :lol:

Also, none of you pansies can touch my 900hp mini : )

685 rwhp is also not outside believeable from an '03+ Cobra, but not with the stock blower. The KB 2.2, which is what he claims to have in his car can support that number. He'd have to be running quite a bit of boost to get there (close to 24 or more psi is my estimate). Either that or the numbers were made on the bottle.

Guys with 600+ rwhp Cobras tend to have them well documented, so I'm sure we'll either see a dyno + time slips very soon, or nothing at all.

M

my dads 98bhp fully stock peugeot *the bottom of the engine bay fell out* 406 will own your 900bhp min................nevermind :lol:

///M-Spec
Guys with 600+ rwhp Cobras tend to have them well documented, so I'm sure we'll either see a dyno + time slips very soon, or nothing at all.

M
Not just Cobra owners, anyone who has a engine blueprinted or worked on will have that documented. These people that do make these beautiful pieces of poetry in motion normally are not your average joe that can't find any paperwork on the last time they got an oil change. . . Unless you are a do-it yourselfer, in that case you should be able to describe the engine build-up including all the torque specs you used. . .

Back