Old School Racing Games.

• Thread starter Tom M
  • 27 comments
Does anyone remember any racing games from before the days of the Playstation 1 and Saturn.
The one that sticks best in my mind is the Original Top gear for the SNES. Three different cars, same number of Turbos, Fuel consumption. I had some of the best races of my life against my college roomate with that game. It always came down to winning by a hair. (Or losing, but my memory in that area is foggy... very foggy.;) )

How about f1 racing for the sega cd by fuji television. I wish they would do the fomula 1 racing games like that again....

Originally posted by Saleen Man
For Sega: Andretti Racing. Choice of racing Stock Cars, Sprint Cars, or Indy Cars. Me and my bro used to play that all the time.:)

That was a great game, I forgot about that. I had Andretti on my PC, and it just wasn't the same.

How about Indy500 for PC? :D
(if there has been a new release of this game, I'm talking about the one on the single floppy disk) :)

That game was awesome.. I couldn't tell ya how many times I would crash into someone on purpose just to see pieces of the cars going flying and watch it on replay. (keep in mind, I was very young.. didn't know a single thing about racing/driving, so crashing was fun) :)

I think I played it on my 286 originally, I'm not sure..

Classic driving games?, Reckon my favourite was Street Rod on the old C64...

Being able to buy old cars, hot them up and drag them has always appealed to me...hang on, there`s a psx game just like this..

I like that game so much, I managed to find a site to dn the PC version from, being shareware and all now..

Originally posted by Fiery
Classic driving games?, Reckon my favourite was Street Rod on the old C64...

Being able to buy old cars, hot them up and drag them has always appealed to me...hang on, there`s a psx game just like this..

I like that game so much, I managed to find a site to dn the PC version from, being shareware and all now..
Oh man, you GOTTA look into MotorCity Online for PC if you like that kind of game.. it's all about buying old cars, upgrading the **** out of em, and racing on either drag, circuit, or street races.. race for either money, pride, or pink slips.. :)
I've had the beta for about 2 weeks now, and the game is expected to go final next month.

webpage at: http://www.motorcityonline.com/

Originally posted by SmokeAlot
I think so.. you were a cop and had to catch up to the bad guy, right?
If that's the one.. another wicked game :)

You had nitros and had to ram the car from behind until it would burst into flames and finally pull over. I think the voiceover was george Takai also.

C64

LeMans
Pole Position
Pit Stop 1 & 2
The Last V8
There other but don't remember

PC

Test Drive, Test Drive 2 Duel, etc
Stunts
Stunt Driver
Need For Speed Series
Death Track

Need for Speed 2 SE was the best in the series.
Sportcar GT is Cool
Gran Turismo Series is the best even better than most PC Racing Games.

Kristof
:D

Test Drive Series on the C64 and of course NFS 1 on the pc. The best old school racing games.

Colin Mcrae Rally 2 is the best new game for the PC, but GT3 beats everthing...

Originally posted by frestkd
C64

LeMans
Pole Position
Pit Stop 1 & 2
The Last V8
There other but don't remember

PC

Test Drive, Test Drive 2 Duel, etc
Stunts
Stunt Driver
Need For Speed Series
Death Track

Need for Speed 2 SE was the best in the series.
Sportcar GT is Cool
Gran Turismo Series is the best even better than most PC Racing Games.

Kristof
:D

I totally forgot about pit stop. I HATED those games!!!!:D Only because out of a hundred races or so I never managed to win one. So if anyone in Florida knows a goofy italian guy that kisses his armpits, kick him for me.

back in the day i was addicted to excite bike for NES, played a lot of pole postion... My ex-girlfriend had an NES that still worked, and I played excite bike every once and awhile at her house. :lol: Makes you respect GT3 a bit more... ;) Also reminds you were GT3 came from.... :D

I remember that game!!!!

I had it on my old Amiga! The Amiga version was better because you could use your mouse to steer, so you could be much more precise with the steering.

That game had fantastic crashes, too - spectacular damage. It was a good tactic to qualify on pole and then careful nudge the other front row starters into a crash - it would take out the two fastest competitors and a fair chunk of the field, eliminating the lapped cars problem.

I played that game for a year before finally winning the full 500 mile race. I seemed to always collect a lapped car in the last 20 laps. The race before I finally won I had a motor let go in the last 10 laps (I was running the slow old March-Cosworth and was running high revs - I'd bodged a pitstop and was under mega-pressure from one of the Penskes).

I finally won it in the Penske by about 5 laps - everything just clicked. Never raced again, although I was constantly running the qualifying trying to go faster and faster.

Great game through - did you know it was by Geoff Crammond, the guy who did the great Microprose Grand Prix series?

Super Old School Games:

NES

Bigfoot
Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off-Road (4-player baby!)
R/C Pro-Am series
Jackal (a war game, but you drove a jeep with weapons)
Dick Tracy (driving around the map in the car)

PC
Indianapolis 500: The Simulation
Backroad Racers
OutRun series
Cycles (motorcycle game)
Stunt Racer (came with a track editor, in the early '90's!)
Streets of SimCity (bad grafix, pretty cheezy, but still good 'nuff)

Gameboy

F-1 Race
R/C Pro-Am
Monster Truck Wars

PS1

Ridge Racer series
Destruction Derby
Felony 11-79 (why didn't anyone mention this? why? it rocks!)
a.k.a. Runabout (overseas name for Felony 11-79)
Grand Theft Auto (addictive gameplay and...... that's it.)
Jet Moto 1 and 2 (not 3. it's too new)
Driver (oh YEAH! one of the best PS games!)
Ape Escape (not a racer, but the R/C car in it is so much fun to use)

that's my list. any additions? subtractions? comments?

(if there has been a new release of this game, I'm talking about the one on the single floppy disk) :)

That game was awesome.. I couldn't tell ya how many times I would crash into someone on purpose just to see pieces of the cars going flying and watch it on replay. (keep in mind, I was very young.. didn't know a single thing about racing/driving, so crashing was fun) :)

I love that game!! With the Penkse Chevy engine, Lola Cosworth (not sure on that one) I hated in qualfying how your laps had to be perfect, my best starting position was 3rd! Back to qualifying I hated how if you barely touched the wall the tire was dead!!!

I think I played it on my 286 originally, I'm not sure..

That game is GREAT fun! I always played it on easy and drove backward and destroyed all the cars. Then you go forward, and into the pit, then you see ALL the cars line up, oh what memories. Also, anyone remember Night Rider for NES?

Originally posted by rjensen11

That game is GREAT fun! I always played it on easy and drove backward and destroyed all the cars. Then you go forward, and into the pit, then you see ALL the cars line up, oh what memories. Also, anyone remember Night Rider for NES?

so i'm not the only one who had a destructive urge...

Originally posted by gran_turismo_bandit

so i'm not the only one who had a destructive urge...

I did it 2!! I especially love destroying the orange and white car, the one that starts in the middle of the pack and eventually wins the race unless the human player does.

yeah, i hated that car. it was always cool to be going 180 and destroy someone's car in a head-on collision. i'd push the cars in the racing line or park in the line myself and watch the accidents occur! i tried a couple of times on other modes where if you get damaged it doesn't go away, and i found that your car handles like $#!% when you're missing a tire.

Hard Drivin'...man, how can you get any better? :lol: Seriously, tho: flat-shaded polygon graphics, force feedback, a clutch you had to use! That game was so far ahead of its time...1987ish, I believe. I can't believe I'm the only one who's mentioned it so far!

Back