Online challenges.

• Thread starter ryzno
  • 24 comments
Charles Darwin would be proud. Fortunately for the human race (or unfortunately depending on which way you look at it) modern society is around to save these idiots from the consequences of their own dumb, YouTube hit-chasing actions.

Primitive societies had (and still have) rites of passage into adulthood. I don't know but maybe these stem from the same impulse.

When I was young I used to watch other kids play chicken with cars while waiting for the school bus. I also heard about others doing the same with trains, granted I never witnessed it myself. This was all before the Internet was a regular thing.

Every generation does stupid things that result in a few going to the hospital. The only difference now is they record it for the world to see.

We snorted smarties, dumped koolaid packets (no sugar) in our mouths. My generation is the reason they put bittering agents in Duster. Life finds a way. It appears this includes survival of the fittest.

I must need to spend much more time on the internet as this is the first I've heard of any of those.

To widen the discussion a little bit, there was the ice bucket challenge a while back which was supposed to help raise money for ALS (research? treatment?). My neighbor participated in the ice bucket challenge, I think he just wanted to dump a bucket of ice on his head and claim to have a reason to do so. Well, now I have a neighbor who has ALS... I'm not sure if the guy who dumped ice on his head is aware of the fact that a few doors down from him is a person actually suffering from the condition that put himself on youtube for, but I assume that he won't be motivated to do anything to help. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

The charity challenges might help raise awareness and some money for a particular condition, but they mostly go viral because people like posting videos of themselves. I wonder if the most recent challenges that have nothing to do with charity actually stemmed from challenges like the ice bucket challenge. Somewhere along the lines people realized that charity causes weren't needed.

Last edited:
Raising awareness by recording yourself doing something dumb. If there were a challenger for more useless than thoughts and prayers, this might be it if not for the quickly worn out entertainment factor of watching people prove darwinism is still alive and well.

To widen the discussion a little bit, there was the ice bucket challenge a while back which was supposed to help raise money for ALS (research? treatment?). My neighbor participated in the ice bucket challenge, I think he just wanted to dump a bucket of ice on his head and claim to have a reason to do so. Well, now I have a neighbor who has ALS... I'm not sure if the guy who dumped ice on his head is aware of the fact that a few doors down from him is a person actually suffering from the condition that put himself on youtube for, but I assume that he won't be motivated to do anything to help. I'll find out soon enough I guess.

I have a friend whose Father-in-law died of ALS. Him and his wife were publicly shamed on social media for not participating in the ice bucket challenge. He and his wife donated a good portion of the sizeable inheritance they received to ALS research in his father-in-law's name. Somewhere in the tune of 250K. The shaming was sickening especially since it was right around the time of his father-in-law's death.

I have a friend whose Father-in-law died of ALS. Him and his wife were publicly shamed on social media for not participating in the ice bucket challenge. He and his wife donated a good portion of the sizeable inheritance they received to ALS research in his father-in-law's name. Somewhere in the tune of 250K. The shaming was sickening especially since it was right around the time of his father-in-law's death.
The human race sure is precious.

Facepalm. Sure you donated and experienced the disease second hand... but did you put your thoughts and prayers on facebook? No? For shame.

We'll be doing what we can for our neighbors. My wife has a visit lined up with them to understand their situation better.

Kids do stupid ****.

I remember at 15 years old somewhere around 1990, I walked over to a friend's house and in the kitchen banana peels were baking in the oven.
I asked what was going on, he said we're going to smoke banana peels do you want to?

I declined. Our parents had their own shenanigans as did theirs.

Humanity will be fine.

I remember smoking bananas! Didn't do a thing. Eating a bunch of nutmeg on the other hands...

God help America when the real Millennials take over...

The generation known for its epic levels of drug consumption is currently steering the ship. Or, in other words:

Kids do stupid ****.

It's not new. Neither is the older generation thinking the next one will be the downfall of society. The big difference now is that these sorts of cases (like the Tide Pod debacle) are so much more visible.

(Also, as we're practically the same age, I should point out that, despite our protestations, we are grouped in with millennials.)

Even by the most generous standard millennials start at 78. But that depends on the source. I prefer wikipedia on this regard as millennials by their standard start in 82.

Even by the most generous standard millennials start at 78. But that depends on the source. I prefer wikipedia on this regard as millennials by their standard start in 82.

By true definition it's 1982 but I believe most think it's current teens and 20 somethings. I've heard some theories about high/low millennials basically meaning that if you were an adult in 2000 that makes you a high millennial etc (or is it the other way around?). It's very confusing but I am technically a millennial being born in 1982 but it's kind of funny to see early 30's people complain about millennials online. It's all very confusing.

Last edited:
By true definition it's 1982 but I believe most think it's current teens and 20 somethings. I've heard some theories about high/low millennials basically meaning that if you were an adult in 2000 that makes you a high millennial etc (or is it the other way around?). It's very confusing but I am technically a millennial being born in 1982 but it's kind of funny to see early 30's people complain about millennials online. It's all very confusing.

I think a good chunk of people were confused by the fluid cut-off years, and the fact the Millennial tag replaced Gen Y. I know in my case, for a long while, I thought they were two distinct generations (the former being the tail-end folks grouped with Gen Z, the ones that have grown up with the Internet as a way of life).

Craziest thing we did was eat Pop Rocks and drink soda.
f37.gif

Pop rocks and candy... dont know why but it makes me think of one of the first "delinquent" things I did as a kid. We would get reeds from the countless ponds around us. Pack them up with dry leaves and puff away. :yuck::lol: ohh the crap we do as kids...

The stupid thing I remember from being a kid was either the "ice burn" of using deodorant to spray on a tiny bit of your arm till it "froze" or the "smiley" with a lighter. I know of a few people who's arms look like leopards cause they did it so often.

The other one was playing knuckles. The act of placing your fist knuckle down on a table and the other person flicking a coin as hard as possible at them to cut and make it bleed, yeah didn't really understand why we did this one.....

The stupid thing I remember from being a kid was either the "ice burn" of using deodorant to spray on a tiny bit of your arm till it "froze" or the "smiley" with a lighter. I know of a few people who's arms look like leopards cause they did it so often.

The other one was playing knuckles. The act of placing your fist knuckle down on a table and the other person flicking a coin as hard as possible at them to cut and make it bleed, yeah didn't really understand why we did this one.....

I can say why we did this :P

Because we were kids and we could/can ;)

When I was a kid we idolized Evel Knievel. Evel was huge back in the day, there really isn't much to compare him to today in terms of superstar status. So naturally we all wanted to be like Evel so we found pieces of plywood and built ramps wherever we could to jump our bikes. Naturally we couldn't jump cars so we jumped people. Kids volunteered to lie down side by side at the end of the ramp. I jumped as many as ten at one time and it was thrilling. Luckily no one every got hurt:sly:

When I was a kid me and my friends would find a long road down a hill with many bends and see how fast we could ride down them and drift around the bends and I removed the front brakes my friends said it was dangerous.

I have never done any of these online challenges.

Back