[Operating System] Windows Vista Ultimate

• Thread starter TestECull
  • 9 comments

TestECull

(Banned)
What it is: The replacement for Windows XP, from Microsoft.
What it costs: $500. Be prepared, this one will leave your checkbook's loved ones grieving...
How long have you owned/used it: 3 months, playing various titles from King of the Road to Source-based games off steam to Starcraft. Even dos-based programs work.
Pros:

• Works flawlessly once configured
  • Can be known to increase FPS on some low-end video cards
  • DX10 support
  • Includes an activation timer reset if Redmon decides to want to bill you for another liscense, even tho you bought one. Works three times.
  • Mine crashes less than XP did, only one sofar and that was due to processor cache chips being...ripped off?
  • Handles app crashes better. Garry's mod, which would crash the whole computer 99% of the time on XP, now only crashes to desktop 99%.
  • When UAC is off, it doesn't try to constantly protect you from your own luck, thereby conditioning you to hit "allow" every time you see that message.

Cons:

• Upon first boot, runs like crap
  • Windows Aero tends to lag out on low-end systems. Thankfully, it's disableable easily
  • UAC is about as annoying as that damn paperclip! Also able to be turned off
  • If you go back to XP, you might as well reformat. This ornry sumbit "takes possession" of your files and XP can no longer read them.
  • Takes up alot of space
  • Has a few unneeded apps that need to be shot in the head, which cause lag on systems with less than a gig of RAM
  • Won't run most XP drivers. Thankfully, it tells you this before the driver installs itself and completely destroys the system
  • If it detects insufficient HD space to install, instead of wiping XP, it wipes the whole drive.
  • Ummm...the price is a megacon. Half a grand for an OS? Best try before you buy with this one...
  • nVidia drivers and Vista don't get along very well, for some reason...
  • If UAC is on, ittl train you to hit allow. Can let malware on thise way, by overprotecting you. Home versions are even worse about this.
Overall Rating: 9/10
Conclusion: Hey, Redmon, make it able to overwrite it's predecessor. Otherwise, this thing runs like a charm on my crapbox, which features a single-core 2.4GHZ AMD, 1GB DDR and an X600 video card. Hardly high end, but it plays games better and more stably than XP did. If you can borrow a copy of a disc, install it to try it. If you like it, THEN pay for the liscense and activate it. If you don't, go back to XP. Some systems it seems to lag on, others it doesn't. Microsoft won't refund if you don't like your software. I reccomend trying it, since it works so nicely on my low-end system. I support this product, not it's maker, just the product, because it works so well on my lowend system.

I've got Home Premium on this rig, and while I do like the look of Vista compared to XP, its had its fair share of problems. It just overall seems to try too hard to protect me, and then while thinking about doing so, gives up in the process. I'm running Premium on a AMD 6000+ dual-core processor with an nVidia 8500GT graphics card, but unfortunately I haven't tested out any new games on the computer. I did run a quick hit of Command and Conquer Generals, and it ran quite smoothly, which was very different compared to my XP rig.

Would I recommend upgrading right away?

Not really. Wait for SP1 on Vista. For the most part, XP still is the standard when it comes to most stuff...

The reason yours tends to overprotect you is A: UAC turned on and B: It's a home edition. Mine has UAC off and is business, so it almost never tries to protect me. That's my antivirus and firewall's job :)

nVidia drivers are great on on Vista (MS have released a fix for some issues). I'm using a 8800 GTS in home premium and performance has been great in games.

I've yet to attempt to flex my PC's power, but it has been my understanding that the 8500GT in DX10 is moderately weak, but it will get the job done. For the most part, I'm waiting for Crysis and HL2: Orange Box to find out...

There'll be a Crysis demo out at the end of this month. ;) HL2 should run fine as long as you don't go crazy on anti-aliasing and resolution.

I've yet to attempt to flex my PC's power, but it has been my understanding that the 8500GT in DX10 is moderately weak, but it will get the job done. For the most part, I'm waiting for Crysis and HL2: Orange Box to find out...

My X600 will run Orange Box with ease. Your 8500GT will pwn it.

I've been running the Ultimate Ed. now since about February with little 'ill effects. My major complaint I have is some of the 'custom' drivers that I had for XP no longer work. Most of my hardware issues have been resolved with new updates and DX10 looks great. My system scores a 5.0 out of 5.9, the processor speed brought it down showing a 5.0 out of 5.9.

Back