Opinion on GTS' Tyre Model, Two Years Later?

Singapore
Singapore
XSquareStickIt
Hi all. About two years ago, I started a thread complaining about the abysmal tyre model of GTS. Of course, the game has come a long, long way since then, and the tyre model has improved to a point where I can actually drive a car I know around a circuit I know without crashing it.

Still, something has never felt right to me. Something never "clicked" with me, the way GT5 and 6 did. I still could never trust a car or know it fully. Production cars in particular are still god awful to drive. In a rather eye opening interview, Kaz admitted that they basically "worked off their imagination" as to how they thought a tyre would behave in a physics engine.

Now that Michelin has partnered up with GTS, I, for the first time in this game's 2 year history, finally felt that "click". I finally felt as if I knew a car and could trust it, long story short. Of course, I have zero race track experience, so I don't know how a real sports or racing car is supposed to feel like at the limit and beyond. And thus, I'd like to hear the forums' thoughts on the new tyre model, and Michelin's involvement in the series as a whole.

Hi all. About two years ago, I started a thread complaining about the abysmal tyre model of GTS. Of course, the game has come a long, long way since then, and the tyre model has improved to a point where I can actually drive a car I know around a circuit I know without crashing it.

Still, something has never felt right to me. Something never "clicked" with me, the way GT5 and 6 did. I still could never trust a car or know it fully. Production cars in particular are still god awful to drive. In a rather eye opening interview, Kaz admitted that they basically "worked off their imagination" as to how they thought a tyre would behave in a physics engine.

Now that Michelin has partnered up with GTS, I, for the first time in this game's 2 year history, finally felt that "click". I finally felt as if I knew a car and could trust it, long story short. Of course, I have zero race track experience, so I don't know how a real sports or racing car is supposed to feel like at the limit and beyond. And thus, I'd like to hear the forums' thoughts on the new tyre model, and Michelin's involvement in the series as a whole.

Huh? They haven’t actually done anything yet have they?,
I think you got placebo.
I don’t see or notice different wear spots or blisters from lockup’s, you can still do multiple burnouts and carry on like nothing happened.

Huh? They haven’t actually done anything yet have they?,
I think you got placebo.
I don’t see or notice different wear spots or blisters from lockup’s, you can still do multiple burnouts and carry on like nothing happened.

I didn't think to record any footage as proof, but I felt a marked difference in production cars. It's especially prominent when driving in the wet, real grip loss settings, without ABS, on Sports Tyres. Prior, the '02 Viper was entirely impossible to even navigate Red Bull Ring given those settings. Right now, it's at least possible. Not race pace, but possible.

Again, I'm no TRL_Lightning, so I'm not sure how accurate my views are, hence why I started this thread. It might actually be placebo ;)

I didn't think to record any footage as proof, but I felt a marked difference in production cars. It's especially prominent when driving in the wet, real grip loss settings, without ABS, on Sports Tyres. Prior, the '02 Viper was entirely impossible to even navigate Red Bull Ring given those settings. Right now, it's at least possible. Not race pace, but possible.

Again, I'm no TRL_Lightning, so I'm not sure how accurate my views are, hence why I started this thread. It might actually be placebo ;)

I think the big update is still to happen, apart from branding and a few slight tweaks, I don’t feel any difference, but i’ve only had it 6-7months.

I can't say much about it realism level, but I suppose it's not the best. I noticed though, that they do simulate tyre flex. At 29.19-29:25 and 35:25-35:30 in the following video you can nicely observe it. There are other intances in the video, where you can see it, but I won't be searching for them now. :P

Back