Opinion on the Mazda 787B in GTS?

As I said only complain that I have is the idle sound, and TBH with you, I wouldn't like my ears to bleed, since 787b did scream like a hell...

To me the idle sounds more like the 787B predecessor, the 767B.
Its a shame that Mazda LM VGT has better idle sound.
I am sorry :irked: but I fully disagree with that statement as even the 767B produced a similar idle:

To be honest: I do not dislike the tone or the pitch of the engine tone (it sounds pretty accurate) but the fact that it does not contain the idle breaks the illusion for me that it is a quad rotor engine :banghead: :banghead:
That is the biggest grind I have right now and why I am dissapointed. :grumpy:

What the heck happened to this:

Even tho the pitch was not perfect that idle was the most satisfying thing to hear :sly:, I really hope they fix this (as with the other group C cars that sounds incorrect or misses their v8 idle)...:indiff:

Last edited:
This car is epic, managed to raise the money for it the day after the update. The way it screams is amazing, 4th gear almost hitting 10kRPMS. Its insane, as for handling it's pretty darn good. Takes the longer corners extremely well, tighter turns can be a bit of a pain as the turn circle is small. In my books this is well worth the 1Million CR. Enjoy people.

I am sorry :irked: but I fully disagree with that statement as even the 767B produced a similar idle:

To be honest: I do not dislike the tone or the pitch of the engine tone (it sounds pretty accurate) but the fact that it does not contain the idle breaks the illusion for me that it is a quad rotor engine :banghead: :banghead:
That is the biggest grind I have right now and why I am dissapointed. :grumpy:

What the heck happened to this:

Even tho the pitch was not perfect that idle was the most satisfying thing to hear :sly:, I really hope they fix this (as with the other group C cars that sounds incorrect or misses their v8 idle)...:indiff:

The brap brap sound in idle has nothing to do with the four rotors engine. The brap brap sound comes from the big bridge port. There is some overlap between the intake and the exhaust port. Also the RX-8 Renisis engine makes the brap brap sound when it gets a bridge port. A stock rotary engine doesn't have the overlap and so they have this clean sound in idle and more torque in the low RPM range compared to a ported engine. Rotary race engines are ported for more power in the high RPM range.

Last edited:
The only thing I find annoying with the 787B is the Livery Editor. I can't put any decals onto the hood without them turning invisible. The editor shows they are there by making the decals flash as I'm editing them but they just simply don't appear at all when I share my livery...

have you tried to play with (far left option) where you set depth and angle? pull them both all the way to right :)
EDIT: or try going to OTHER layer rather than bonet or body as that might be mapped under different part :)

The sound is muted. But then the sound isnt too good for the C9 or XJR15 or the R92CP.

Its a shame because everything else is pretty darn acceptable.

You only need to youtube the real vids or even GT6 or even Forza 4 and see that the sound was better back then.

But I'm fairly easy to please in that as long as I get an engine note of some sort then I'm ok.

I really wish that the sound brang a smile to you face like the real world youtube vids.

Technically correct, but they were the only entrant in the LMP hybrid class... Kinda like winning by default if you ask me ;)
Well, they still won. I found it boring as well, but it's not like they bribed Porsche, Audi, Nissan, Peugeot and so on to not show up.
Maybe the description was just brought over from GT6.

Well, they still won. I found it boring as well, but it's not like they bribed Porsche, Audi, Nissan, Peugeot and so on to not show up.
Maybe the description was just brought over from GT6.
I agree. They went the distance and both cars managed to last the full 24 hours - so there's definitely that.

But you have to argue that if they had needed to really push the cars for the full 24 hours (they were driving relatively calmly, putting much less stress on the cars themselves than they could have) whether it would have been the same result. Fair play to them, but it just feels a bit hollow to me as a spectator.

I agree. They went the distance and both cars managed to last the full 24 hours - so there's definitely that.

But you have to argue that if they had needed to really push the cars for the full 24 hours (they were driving relatively calmly, putting much less stress on the cars themselves than they could have) whether it would have been the same result. Fair play to them, but it just feels a bit hollow to me as a spectator.
Don't agree with that. Doing 3:18's race pace is pushing. You gotta go with hybrid type cars because if you baby them the systems don't operate at maximum.

Onto the 787, it used to be really twitchy in the previous games. Now it's almost the opposite as it's stable but understeers. Now to find a setup to make turn in better and have it stick rather than wash out wide in turns.

It would go to a burble brap brap sound as the revs got to a sweet spot, more or less just as you should downshift, that made it really cool.

Ah, I see :).

We'll see if the sound maybe gets updated later on, as it did with some other cars :)

The only thing I find annoying with the 787B is the Livery Editor. I can't put any decals onto the hood without them turning invisible. The editor shows they are there by making the decals flash as I'm editing them but they just simply don't appear at all when I share my livery. Everything else about the 787B I love. I never got the chance to play GT5 and GT6 since I didn't own a PS3 so I've pretty much gone from GT4 straight to GTS.
Any luck with the liveries on the 787B? If not, have you tried Align with Camera? That tends to solve such issues on other cars with awkward surfaces.

Quite surprised when I first drove it. Didn't expect it to handle to so well; it really is fun to drive. At the top end of the rev range, the car does have that iconic rotary scream which the old sound (used for 17 years) didn't have. I don't know why some are complaining...

Hello. I, like a lot of people I'm sure, was really excited for the Mazda 787B to be added to GTS' roster come update 1.23. I was able to take it for a quick spin around Le Mans since the update hit:

I immediately found the experience to be rather strange. I remember in GT5 and 6, this car was horrifying to drive. It had a chassis that was... not capable of handling the power it had. The tyres had grip, but would start slipping early if not babied. The 5 speed gearbox would top out frequently even without slipstream on the Mulsanne Straights. In GTS, I find the chassis to be impeccably strong, never showing signs of complaint even when trying to put down massive power out of corners. The tyres and downforce likewise don't give much issue. As can be seen in the video my 787B was bottoming out when going over some kerbstones at Le Mans with stock settings, which I find absurd. But, overall it is a much, much easier and pleasant drive than in GT6.

Oh, and, is it just my imagination, or is the 787B the one car that sounds worse in GTS than it did in GT6?

Real Car:

Even when I rev the car out to 10,000rpm, it doesn't seem to have the same high pitched wail that is present in the real car. Overall the GTS version sounds a lot more dull and muted, from both cockpit and replay cameras.

Am I mistaken, or can others corroborate what I said? Which rendition of the car would you say is more true to life? Any other thoughts on the car as a whole?

I think it is very nice to drive, granted i have not tried the other GR1 cars with the new tire model, but my first try on Nurburg beat the previous record i had done there. Having watched plenty of old 787B footage since this is one of my absolute favorite Group C cars for many reasons, i think this version is closer to what i would expect from it. Bit more nimble than the other cars, twitches with the back at the slightest hint of sir mix alot.. sorry to much acceleration. But i think it lacks in the sound department, the idle sound is wrong and the top RPM is not loud and whiney enough. This car is supposed to be heard all over the track with Nurburg being the only exception.. i hope they fix it so we get this..

From what I’ve seen, it’s underrated. In Gr.1 Racing on Sarthe, unlike the other Group C cars, this one actually looks competitive, as it was giving my R18 H a run for its money. Sound-wise obviously could use an improvement (for example the idle purr), but it looks absolutely stunning. It’s one of the few cars I refuse to paint simply because of how beautiful it is.

... but it looks absolutely stunning. It’s one of the few cars I refuse to paint simply because of how beautiful it is.
I will never apply another livery to my 787B either. It is one of those cars that when I see it repainted, I never think it looks right.

Also, I love the way the number panel lights up at night. It's so old school.
It is such a cool car to have back. If PD adds the idle brap-brap-brap sound back it'll be perfect.

5774266807846175760_0.jpg

I have 1 milion cr. what should i buy Mazda 787B or Porsche 919 Hybrid ? From what i saw in Le Mans circuit experience i really liked how Porsche sounds and drive could the Mazda be better or not ?

J.D
I have 1 milion cr. what should i buy Mazda 787B or Porsche 919 Hybrid ? From what i saw in Le Mans circuit experience i really liked how Porsche sounds and drive could the Mazda be better or not ?

If BoP didn't screw all, yes... but since it did, you should grind more $$$ and buy multiple different Gr.1 cars...

Yes, exactly that.

I would even say the Toyota TS030 will destroy the Mazda. The TS050 is better still. The Porsche is better still.

If you want a very good Mazda, look at the VGT LM 55 car.

Don't get me wrong, I very much like the Mazda, and have for many years, but it is what it is.

I already have VGT LM 55 i won it as a daily reward and i love how it screams :D The thing what i want from any car the most is to have it's own characteristic and not to be bland without cool engine sound or bad driveability.

Porsche on the battery is great. And good power from a little four cylinder engine. Rips through the 7 gears. Little bit of understeer, but very manageable. It will do the 60 minute Le Mans enduro without a pit stop. I can't get any other car to do that, and win.

Back