Opinion on the Mazda 787B in GTS?

So... now I think it's safe to say that the 787B's sound in GTS is wrong, because it wasn't even recorded from the real 787B. Like, what even in the flying heck... It's sitting right there in Mazda's HQ in Hiroshima!
Idk why you say its wrong, imo its the best sounding 787b in any game right now...

Idk why you say its wrong, imo its the best sounding 787b in any game right now...

It's wrong because it doesn't sound like the real life version at all. This being a simulator, makes it wrong. Plus, as I mentioned in the opening post, the car sounded WAY closer to its real life counterpart in GT5 and 6, games that are widely mocked for their laughable lawnmower sounds, proving that PD has long had the capability to make it sound realistic since the last generation of consoles. THAT is what I'm getting at, and THAT is why their rendition of the iconic 787B is so disappointing for me, personally, someone who considers himself a fan of Mazda.

Yes, I understand that no game is ever going to get the sound, or any part of the simulation 100% right. Who can really say how accurate the driving dynamics, the 3D modelling, fuel consumption, and other such things to be 100% true to life, especially in a unicorn as exclusive as the 787B? What I don't get is why PD seems to have taken steps backwards when it came to the 787B. In comparison to the aforementioned driving dynamics and modelling, the sound seems the easiest to get right, in my uninformed opinion. That they could screw THAT up makes me question the realism of every other aspect of the car. After all, how hard could it be to record sounds from the actual car if you HAD the actual car to laser scan? And if PD didn't have the actual car, then where the heck did they get the data for how it handles?

I still have to say I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this issue. Even the LM55 VGT sounds more like a 787B than the 787B.

After all, how hard could it be to record sounds from the actual car if you HAD the actual car to laser scan?

Just because they had access to a car to scan the dimensions and take pictures to make a digital model does not mean that car was turn key ready to run to record engine sounds.

Many collector, historic collector cars are put away with no fuel, no coolant, no battery, engine fogged internally with a light oil coating and would require a lot of prep work to actually fire up and get running.

It's wrong because it doesn't sound like the real life version at all. This being a simulator, makes it wrong. Plus, as I mentioned in the opening post, the car sounded WAY closer to its real life counterpart in GT5 and 6, games that are widely mocked for their laughable lawnmower sounds, proving that PD has long had the capability to make it sound realistic since the last generation of consoles. THAT is what I'm getting at, and THAT is why their rendition of the iconic 787B is so disappointing for me, personally, someone who considers himself a fan of Mazda.

Yes, I understand that no game is ever going to get the sound, or any part of the simulation 100% right. Who can really say how accurate the driving dynamics, the 3D modelling, fuel consumption, and other such things to be 100% true to life, especially in a unicorn as exclusive as the 787B? What I don't get is why PD seems to have taken steps backwards when it came to the 787B. In comparison to the aforementioned driving dynamics and modelling, the sound seems the easiest to get right, in my uninformed opinion. That they could screw THAT up makes me question the realism of every other aspect of the car. After all, how hard could it be to record sounds from the actual car if you HAD the actual car to laser scan? And if PD didn't have the actual car, then where the heck did they get the data for how it handles?

I still have to say I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this issue. Even the LM55 VGT sounds more like a 787B than the 787B.
Okay then we completely disagree. The GT5/6 787b sounded far as hell from the real thing, even the LM55 in those games was much closer. Imo the GTS one is very true to the real life one, just replicate Johnny Herbert's 2011 run in the game and compare it to the Youtube video of it, and you'll see how close it is.

Just because they had access to a car to scan the dimensions and take pictures to make a digital model does not mean that car was turn key ready to run to record engine sounds.

Many collector, historic collector cars are put away with no fuel, no coolant, no battery, engine fogged internally with a light oil coating and would require a lot of prep work to actually fire up and get running.

I understand where you're coming from. But I happen to know that the winning 787B is kept in Mazda's HQ in Hiroshima in their museum, where it's periodically maintained, hence why the car makes appearances in big events, such as the 2011 video at Le Mans in my opening post, and also as recently as September this year at Fuji Speedway.

Even if that were not the case, if you can't even get the car's engine started, how would you get data for the car's driving dynamics? It makes me wonder if PD approximated the 787B's other aspects as well if they can't get something as "simple" as the sound right. Unless of course I'm mistaken; I'm no game programmer. It just seems super suspicious that they'd need to borrow the sound from a 4 Rotor RX-7 at all.

I understand where you're coming from. But I happen to know that the winning 787B is kept in Mazda's HQ in Hiroshima in their museum, where it's periodically maintained, hence why the car makes appearances in big events, such as the 2011 video at Le Mans in my opening post, and also as recently as September this year at Fuji Speedway.

Even if that were not the case, if you can't even get the car's engine started, how would you get data for the car's driving dynamics? It makes me wonder if PD approximated the 787B's other aspects as well if they can't get something as "simple" as the sound right. Unless of course I'm mistaken; I'm no game programmer. It just seems super suspicious that they'd need to borrow the sound from a 4 Rotor RX-7 at all.

Even if the car was maintained in a state of being able to be started and ran still does not mean that PD would have the permissions to run the car at all much less at high rpm levels under a loaded condition as would be required for a "proper" sound recording and need to be done ether on a track or dyno.

Many of the engine and drivetrain mechanical parts are of course not available and no it does not surprise me that PD may be limited in the options to get sound or "current" performance data.

Perhaps the information for performance is derived from old race team and manufacturer test and race notes which may show how a change affected the car in different situations, perhaps they interviewed and picked the minds and memories of those engineers that designed the car, the race team managers that made the calls for what adjustments were made and the effects on the car as a result in race conditions and the drivers that actually drove the cars in competition.

Perhaps they also used old race footage and was able to to make comparisons to cars in the same conditions that they did possess actual performance data on and could make a fairly educated guess as to the differences and assign what could be considered a realistic expectation of a particular cars performance.

At the end of the day this is a video game not a historical factual comparison of one cars performance as compared to another and if you use a game to "decide" what was the best car of an era or class then you may well be very mistaken out of the virtual world and back in the real world.

Back