Opinions Regarding GT5 Prologue Online

• Thread starter john_m
  • 28 comments

Rate your GT5 Online Experience:

• Total voters
roryjoe_m
I am just writing a quick comment really cos I have been playing GT5 Prologue online lately and it has driven me so nuts I just had to write about it.

I cannot stand the fact that you can be driving perfectly for the entire race then some idiot behind you with a crap internet connection, or just someone being an pratt, rams you and you go flying off the track and end up in last place.

How many people have been having this experience? Does it infuriate you? What needs to be done?

Obviously dedicated racing servers might help, and when we eventually have friend only races you can invite people with good internet connections who aren't careless pricks. I also guess that if damage is on in online mode when it arrives for GT5 then people may be reluctant to smash into you...:grumpy:

Other than that...good game.

I agree with driving well then being punted off the road. I tend to race with less PP then the catergory level (makes it more interesting ;) ), and starting up front is a nervous prospect- more than half the time, i get taken out.

Otherwise, there are good races to be had with clean racers (with the majority coming from GTP of course :D).

Can't wait for private rooms in full GT5 :)

Its good on driving, car reaction and no other players disconnecting and flying everywhere.
Also cars still drive good online, some games that seems to dissapear online, compared to offline.
But the penalty system is not good, no private room, no chats & too much waiting for players.

Its enjoyable, but average. And thats not good enough for the GT Series!

I voted Poor, but its very close to Abysmal/Useless.

It is unacceptable that the online mode is as featureless as it is. Every single online game for the last half decade has had invites, and private rooms with custom options.

Without us devising a way to meet each other online I would have voted Abysmal/Useless.

Because why race?

There is no stat tracking, hosts quit and ruin the race, and finding a fair clean pack of racers that don't have GTP in front of their name is like finding a needle in a haystack. Add onto the fact alot of the races now only have 2-4 cars in them because everyone is so spread out. With a private room you could wait for alot of people to join before starting the race.

Two options they implemented to make online fair, the penalty system and ghosting cars don't do their job. It's impossible to beat wallsurfers at the HSR tracks and the ramming penalties are given to the innocent just as often as they are given to the guilty. And what's the point if the rammer and rammey both get 4 second penalties? The rammey is usually somewhere off in the sand trap while the rammer stays on the pavement. So for the rammey its like a 8 second penalty for nothing.

PD knows their online is horrible, that's why the're going to update it whenever they get done making the cars reflect off eachother.

I voted Poor, but its very close to Abysmal/Useless.

It is unacceptable that the online mode is as featureless as it is. Every single online game for the last half decade has had invites, and private rooms with custom options.

Without us devising a way to meet each other online I would have voted Abysmal/Useless.

Because why race?

There is no stat tracking, hosts quit and ruin the race, and finding a fair clean pack of racers that don't have GTP in front of their name is like finding a needle in a haystack. Add onto the fact alot of the races now only have 2-4 cars in them because everyone is so spread out. With a private room you could wait for alot of people to join before starting the race.

Two options they implemented to make online fair, the penalty system and ghosting cars don't do their job. It's impossible to beat wallsurfers at the HSR tracks and the ramming penalties are given to the innocent just as often as they are given to the guilty. And what's the point if the rammer and rammey both get 4 second penalties? The rammey is usually somewhere off in the sand trap while the rammer stays on the pavement. So for the rammey its like a 8 second penalty for nothing.

PD knows their online is horrible, that's why the're going to update it whenever they get done making the cars reflect off eachother.

Couldn't have said it better, and I did vote abysmal, mostly because I've been on the end of far too many ramming penalties I didn't cause that ended with me in the dirt and the offender laughing his way to the finish line.

I think its great, but my biggest complains are the amount of laps you have, and the bumping is ridiculous. I was on the last turn in first place, and as I slowed my car to make the turn, i was ran off by 2 cars straight into a wall, and ended up in 5th. That's not right.

I selected average. I don't really mind the wait times. Gives me time to grab coffee and ciggies. The erratic movement by other cars on the track is no worst off than F1 Championship Edition. I like how my car set-up translates to online races. There is very little performance difference from arcade race mode. Dealing with quitting, punting, wall riding and the other annoyances instigated by less talented users will only make "sim drivers" better racers in the "legit" rooms when they do become available. As for chat, I have nothing to say to half of those idiots anyhow. I doubt most are even old enough to have a valid drivers license in thier respective countries.

I shiver sometimes when I am racing online. Its a cold hearted place and its not ment to be taken likely. I hate the online play. Simply put, but for a game in which its developers take so much pride in profection why such a lackadaisical approach to the online play. The online play was suppose to be one of the huge features that makes this game great.

Now given the fact that it is a demo game, I ask the question. How hard is it to beef up the online play for the demo? A small patch here and suddenly you make everyone happier. At least here.

I rated the online play Poor. This weekend I had a hell of a time trying to make anything work, I had hacks, punters, and wall surfers. If you don't believe watch my you tube videos and you will see the mayham I when through this weekend. Its not just this weekend either, it is almost every day I do race.

PD has got to do something about it or I will stop playing online and perhaps the game.

I voted Average/Buggy.

However, I think I was spoiled by Live For Speed. Online racing is much cleaner. You can search for any track/car combo you want. No lag. Many more cars on track. Stat tracking...they even track your online mileage!!! How cool is that?

I had a hard time deciding whether to vote up or down. If I had taken the poll yesterday, I think I would have voted up because I only got disconnected twice the whole evening. Taking part in this poll today has allowed me to reflect back on the past days where I get 80% disconnects and enter races full of overly aggressive drivers.

I really want to like racing online. Unless it gets worse, I plan to keep it up as much as possible. I just hope things get better.

And PD, for Pete's sake, quit changing races in the online rotation. Adding new races is good, but don't remove them!!! I hate getting comfortable with a car/set/track combo and seeing it removed. That's crap.

I voted Overall Enjoyable, because for all the dirty races, there is always one or two absolutely brilliant races which usually end up in a comrade-ship between two or more drivers, always giving each other room, helping each other gain positions, etc.
Plus, the few races I have with GTP members have nearly always been great, even if I have spun out or hit the sand in some of them.

Despite all its flaws, I still have more fun in a good online race (usually with just GTPers) than I've had with any other game online, including those with many more features. So, I voted Overall Enjoyable.

The only bad thing i encounter when playing the game online is the lack of private rooms, disconnecting hosts and the sometimes shaky "ghost" mode. Sometimes someone has spun out in a corner or something and they are clearly transparent so i drive through them, but then I see them getting launched in the mirror.

It might just be me but i don't actually meet that many punters/morons online. When you think of it there really is no way PD can make it so that you absolutely can't get hit by punters. The only way they could do it is to make everyone a ghost and where would the fun be in that? Almost all the options leave a way for punters/morons to abuse the system.

As I and probably most people see it private rooms with people who know how to race is the way to go and that is where GTP comes in.

Overall enjoyable, because that's how I find it, and for the first online game I've played it isn't too bad. I also haven't had as many problems with bad drivers as many others seem to have had here.

I voted Overall Enjoyable, because for all the dirty races, there is always one or two absolutely brilliant races which usually end up in a comrade-ship between two or more drivers, always giving each other room, helping each other gain positions, etc.
Plus, the few races I have with GTP members have nearly always been great, even if I have spun out or hit the sand in some of them.

This.

I voted average.
it will probably be an outstanding game before it is all said and done. But for now it would be below average if it wasn't for the outstanding graphics and the great feel of the cars. The major problem is the online and the way the races are setup. For 40$ i expected it to be more refined, but I'm sure within the next year or so it will be. When I first got it I was very upset about the lack of features, but now I'm just glad they went ahead and released it and are going to give us updates, instead of making us wait any longer.

permanent ghost cars would solve all the ramming but would people like that ?
having to get past someone would be nil and void, but it would still be good just to go flat out and be bale to see where each other are on the tarck...

permanent ghost cars would solve all the ramming but would people like that ?
having to get past someone would be nil and void, but it would still be good just to go flat out and be bale to see where each other are on the tarck...

That's exactly what I've been thinking of, and want :)
Sure, it's not "true" wheel-to-wheel racing, but you'd still "place", and be racing others

I think it is also important to understand that dedicated hardcore sim drivers racing online likely represent only a small fraction of the participants. In addition, most online drivers likely don't have the fastest of internet connections, which makes it hard for them to see what the other cars are doing, as the movements will show as being very jerky, even so much as to cause cars to "disappear" and then reappear. Expecting someone like that to avoid hitting you is unreasonable.

Another thing I think many seem to overlook is the realism of the physics... especially for the Pro Physics races... and yet I'd be willing to bet 95% of the online drivers are using the controllers and not a wheel. The idea that one can accurately and smoothly control a 500+HP car around any of these tracks with a 1/4 joystick, or worse yet.. a left and right button is absurd at best.

Yes, it can certainly be and is done on a regular basis by millions of gamers, but this is also why games like GT can never be 100% realistic, because if they were, the cars would be unmanageable. After all, there's a very good reason why none of these cars in real life that are represented in games like GT have ever been equipped by their manufacturers with mini-joysticks or right and left buttons instead of a steering wheel. :)

Basically what I'm saying is, it's unreasonable to expect everyone to drive like many of the dedicated sim drivers found on this site. Hopefully we will be getting private races soon, and thus give an option to those of us that would like to try and race against similar drivers using similar equipment and following the same rules of conduct. 👍

In the meantime, I'm going to continue to enjoy the online racing for what it is, and focus on the things I can control and the things I enjoy rather than get work up over and rant about things I can't control and things I don't like... but that's just me, and how I roll. :)

Yeah I have had this problem, and it is indeed INFURIATING! I will drive well, NOTE: I am average to below average driver compared to some guys on here, but I can hit my hotlap in 10 to 15 laps if I know the car pretty well, my record in the F1 on HSR is 50.1 and it is a perfectly clean lap, I was hitting the 50s to 51.5s range consistently so it wasn't a fluke, anyways, I can follow a line, but still am working on my technique alot, especially on a technical course on sazuka my lap time there is TERRIBLE but even so, it is still incredibly frustrating to actually be doing a good clean lap, moving up in the ranks, then see a guy in my rear veiw mirror closing in at breakneck speeds as I slow down to set up for the next curve then BAM! There I am in the sandtrap, as mr. bumper car MAYBE gets a penalty, and cruises around the corner. As long as this hasn't happened to far in the race, I have cought back up to the same car (a couple of times) and finished in a better place than he did :sly: Now that is satisfying. Even though in some of those races I should have place top 3 easy :grumpy: Not so satisfying.

I've voted overall enjoyeble. I do get frustrated and most of the time I feel like reaching in through the screen and strangling whoever is on the other side, but having said that I did have a FEW good races and when its good it's GREAT. So like everyone else I will keep playing as I wait for the private rooms.

Having said this I need to add that if GT 5 is anything like this Prologue version I will not buy the game. For a development/demonstration game its fine but totally unacceptable for the full version.

I'd like to see dedicated servers. Can't ever remember playing much Quake connecting to some idiots home PC. Surely it's not that big a deal.

Failing that, why not have the players that consistently drop out of online races barred from hosting.

Let's have replays of online races please (or maybe PD are holding that for the full release of course...).

Oh, and how about the ability to blacklist players you don't want to race? If we could do that, the quality of driving ought to improve - real world punishment ;)

Having said all that - love it. Drooling over what the full release will be like.

I voted overall enjoyable.

Sure there are flaws, far from perfect but it is, IMO, the best available at the moment.

Would private rooms, on line chat, and damage make it better? Certainly. And, we may see some of those features this fall.

Voted poor, but just short of the worst option. I haven't played too much of online, but after the first 20 races or so, I kind of gave up. If there was damage, then I would have had yet to finish a race. Either I get rammed, punted, or some idiot will decide to pull a Schumacher on you and do a cut across the track. Or someone decided that the best way to defend their position is to brake test you, or just shut the door on the line, when it is quite evident the battle is over (like side by side, and I'm on the inside).

I voted abysmal, but to be fair I should have voted poor, but can't change now.

Anyway, Prologue was good enough to get my car racing juices going again, but I was really unsatisfied, so I beefed up my PC to use my G25 with GTR 2. I picked it up for $20 at Best Buy. Now, with downloadable Mods online it has about 70 tracks. I couldn't really run it before, but now it flys with 35 cars. It makes me realize how much of a game and non-sim Prologue really is... Weather, different track temperatures, 24 hour races. Accelerated time with sun up's, sunset's, night racing, damage with flips/rolls etc. with no goofy penalty point system needed, in car camera, awesome AI drivers, a staggering number of car tuning options and the list goes on... It's not even close. The handling and amazing use of the G25, car, tire, track sounds etc, are fantastic. And the use of Motec software (it's bundled with the game) for telemetry data is just flat out awesome. Threshold breaking is very doable, because of the excellent G25 use (shaking, vibration as traction starts to slip) and awesome variety of tire skidding, scrubbing sounds. Prologue was so poor in this area.

Comparing the two is comical. Plus, I just bought the Geforce GT 512mb GeForced 9600 GT and used a DVI to HDMI cable, so I'm playing GTR 2 with Windows etc on my 50" Plasma. It puts my wireless KB and mouse to good use as well. It set me back about $500, but the upgrade was worth it.

Voted overall enjoyable

Sucks being in Australia though, always join the game last since the host is normally in Europe and then you start from last. EVERYTIME!!! Makes it near impossible to win on some tracks like daytona or even high speed ring.
Although when an Australian is host(very rare) then we start from front yay. Serisouly we need priavte rooms so Aussies and Kiwi's can race in their own room. Suprisingly I see very little lag though which is great considering I have to race people on the other side of the world.

Also i think they should have proffesional races for wheel users. I hate the square movements of controller users.
And penalties for using guardrails for turning!!! I don't bother racing at highspeed ring anymore because of the cheats that do this. They cAn't do it at Suzuka!

Voted overall enjoyable

Sucks being in Australia though, always join the game last since the host is normally in Europe and then you start from last. EVERYTIME!!! Makes it near impossible to win on some tracks like daytona or even high speed ring.
That's very odd as the Japan, Euro and North America version the starting grid has nothing to do with where you logged in, it's based on your car's PP level, from least to most. Any ties are then randomly determined.

The screen you see after it says "Joining race" is just the order that you all logged in at (#1 is the host) not the actual grid order.

Next time use a car with about 600 PP in a 700 PP race and I bet you'll start up front... although you might not stay there for long. ;)

When complaining about the level of realism or the controller users, you have to understand that Sony/PD has sunk millions of dollars into this game and wants to recoup its costs by selling a lot of copies. If it were as realistic as GTR 2, it would probably fare just as poorly as GTR 2 saleswise, except for an advantage purely on the cachet of the Gran Turismo name (which would evaporate as soon as all the controller players started telling each other about how the game is impossible). Most people do not have a decent racing wheel, nor do they even want to spend upwards of $100 on a wheel and many months relearning how to drive with one, especially if they managed to get far with a DS2 (I got the International B license in GT4 with a D-pad).

If you want hyper-realistic experience, play GTR2 or GP Legends. Gran Turismo has always been about balancing realism and accessibility.

Voted overall enjoyable

Although when an Australian is host(very rare) then we start from front yay. Serisouly we need priavte rooms so Aussies and Kiwi's can race in their own room. Suprisingly I see very little lag though which is great considering I have to race people on the other side of the world.

I'm in Australia too (WA), and I host every so often, even with players from Europe, USA, etc. And regardless of being host or hostee, I usually start up the front, due to lower PP (e.g. 693PP with a F430 on 750PP Suzuka), unless of course there's someone with lower PP. Always find it interesting to see what PP people have in the pre-race-start screen :P

It's definate that grid position is based on PP (as no doubt covered somewhere before here in the forums) :)

I agree- can't wait to race with "locals" in private rooms...seems people (me included) often race cleaner with a fellow countryman :sly:
Will be looking out for ya zdenko :)

Latest Posts

Back